Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
What is with dumb architects and marble paneling, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GenericOverusedName posted:

They want imperial grandeur on a lumpenprole budget.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Even the ancient aliens couldn't make cladding stick to the pyramids, what hope do we even have now?

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

You can't make 70s commie chic without a profound lack of common sense, it seems.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

I see that goons be postin' ugly buildings instead of actual architectural failures. Came here to fix this.

Zagrepčanka tower in Zagreb, Croatia:

It was completed in 1976 and frankly, it doesn't look bad. The tower is clad in white marble tiles which give it a nice touch.

Oh, except this:

Turns out the architect chose a lazy solution and instead of doing something sensible, like anchoring the stone panels, he simply decided to use tile glue and a lot of wishful thinking to hold them up. Each of those panels is something like an inch thick and easily weighs over 200 pounds. After roughly a decade, heavy stone panels started separating from the highrise, threatening to clobber whoever was unfortunate enough to be standing outside. The repair was deemed to be mega-expensive because they pretty much had to retile the whole highrise, and for the time being, the management erected a tunnel made out of scaffolding and thick wooden planks that leads you from a safe distance outside, right into the front lobby.

As of TYOOL 2015, only the western side of the building is "repaired". You are well advised not to go anywhere near that thing if the wind blows or at any time, for that matter.

A few years ago, during the height of the real estate bubble in Spain, architects in the city of Benidorm had the glorious idea to expand the original blueprints of a new scyscraper from 20 to 47 stories. Except they forgot to include an elevator for the additional 27 stories. :spain:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

We're referencing Use of Weapons again?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Honj Steak posted:

A few years ago, during the height of the real estate bubble in Spain, architects in the city of Benidorm had the glorious idea to expand the original blueprints of a new scyscraper from 20 to 47 stories. Except they forgot to include an elevator for the additional 27 stories. :spain:

Looks like a building that should feature on a Sesame Street episode sponsored by the number 11.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Honj Steak posted:

While the project was plagued with problems and bad timing, the story of the forgotten elevators is fake.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

DNova posted:

While the project was plagued with problems and bad timing, the story of the forgotten elevators is fake.

Ah, I'm sorry, I even checked a source for the numbers but they didn't bother with a correction.

Let's have Europe's ugliest hospital instead. It's in Aachen, Germany:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Honj Steak posted:

Ah, I'm sorry, I even checked a source for the numbers but they didn't bother with a correction.

Hospital or oil refinery? Why not both!

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Fancy bowling alley.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

owns

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

Honj Steak posted:

Ok I had to go look this up on google earth and it is actually gorgeous!
http://imgur.com/a/O8ZqD

50°46'32.77" N 6°02'37.43" E

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

my cloning tool got stuck

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

czg posted:

Ok I had to go look this up on google earth and it is actually gorgeous!
http://imgur.com/a/O8ZqD

50°46'32.77" N 6°02'37.43" E

This looks like something out of the live action Dr. Seuss movies.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Noggin Monkey posted:

The Tacoma museum is pretty cool because not only does it hold glass art, parts of it ARE glass art. It's also lit really well at night.

TLDR: Oh noes, modern buildings!!1!

Fun fact! The engineering firm I work for designed the compressed air system for the art installations on the bridge. It controls the humidity within the displays to keep condensation from forming on the art pieces. And it looks ballin' at night.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Nckdictator posted:

Not a real proposal but interesting to look at.

Oh, I've seen another one of that series!

iirc there was a short story connected to it, where a visitor from the English countryside comes to visit the new London, eventually is driven mad by the changes in the city since his last visit and is institutionalized.

e: haha yep

quote:

"Perhaps you're nervous," I said, soothingly. "Somehow people do get nervous these days."

"Do you think they go mad?" he asked, glaring wildly about him.

"It isn't called madness any more. We say nervous prostration. All of our prominent men have it more or less. I suppose it is because we live so much in such a short time."

"What do they do for it?"

"Go to Germany for the baths, generally."

"Waiter," he yelled, striking the table with his fist and making the glasses and dishes ring again, "get me a ticket for Germany, and be quick about it!"

Grasping his shoulders, I tried to hold him in a chair, but with yells and curses he threw me off, and it took the combined efforts of half the waiters to capture him and carry him to the Prostration Shute, whence he was conveyed to my flat, where he collapsed entirely.

At the time of writing I understand he is slowly recovering, but until his mental balance is quite restored I am forbidden to hold any communication with him, as the sight of me might cause a relapse. Still, I did my duty.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 5, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Applewhite posted:

Yeah, Bruce McCall has a couple of collections. These pictures were from All Meat Looks Like South America.

Ordered for about $7 delivered to my house from the US. So worth it. Thank you!

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Honj Steak posted:

I read about this but i still don't know how such a thing can happen. Isn't the elevator shaft a fairly important structural part of the building in most buildings? Even if you just copy pasted floor 15 a bunch of times to get to 47 you would think the elevator shaft would still be there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

NihilismNow posted:

I read about this but i still don't know how such a thing can happen. Isn't the elevator shaft a fairly important structural part of the building in most buildings? Even if you just copy pasted floor 15 a bunch of times to get to 47 you would think the elevator shaft would still be there.

Every university was actually built using the blueprints for a prison.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

NihilismNow posted:

I read about this but i still don't know how such a thing can happen.

lovely, sensationalist reporting read by gullible people.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

88h88 posted:

Ordered for about $7 delivered to my house from the US. So worth it. Thank you!

Glad I could help :)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Angela Christine posted:

Not CSUCI! It was built using the blueprints for the Camarillo State Mental Hospital.

It went from this:

to this:

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

Angela Christine posted:

yeah it's true

also the architect who did every university library in the country forgot to account for the weight of the books, so now the building is sinking into the earth

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Honj Steak posted:

I had to concentrate to make my brain accept that carpet wasn't just rendered into the image.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

anchoress posted:

yeah it's true

also the architect who did every university library in the country forgot to account for the weight of the books, so now the building is sinking into the earth

I don't know how this rumour still persists with the existence of the internet.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clitch posted:

I had to concentrate to make my brain accept that carpet wasn't just rendered into the image.

Somebody should take that carpet pattern to bolivia and make themselves a fortune

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Clitch posted:

"Please stop walking when reaching a wall."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kind of surprised this lopsided pile of substandard concrete is still standing.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Take this:

Tear it down and put up this instead:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

joat mon posted:

Take this:

Okay, the first one is pretty as hell, but I bet it was unpleasant to navigate and expensive to maintain.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

joat mon posted:

Take this:

Building on top looks like a place where you'd go to learn the exciting new science of trepanning.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

joat mon posted:

Take this:

First one looks like some lovely Walt Disney-castle, second one looks ok.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Building on top looks like a place where you'd go to learn the exciting new science of trepanning.

Lower one looks like they're researching ways to make monkey-borne viruses more airborne, so I'm not sure what we've gained or lost there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

joat mon posted:

Take this:

The top one looks like a Bavarian peasant's fever dream.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

Okay, the first one is pretty as hell, but I bet it was unpleasant to navigate and expensive to maintain.

Apparently one of the turrets fell off a year or two before it was demolished (but still in use).
It was one of the red-headed stepchildren of the school's architectural plan from the late 30s to when it was demolished in 1969, so there was probably several decades of deferred maintenance.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

The top one looks like a Bavarian peasant's fever dream.

It was pretty much all there was out on the prairie, so it was pretty striking.

(The one on the left is still there)

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Moosechees posted:

Because Colombo keeps coming over and arresting you for murder.

I thought that place looked familiar!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Total Meatlove posted:

The garden bridge won't be built though.

did it finally loose too many lawsuits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Not an architectural failure, but I'm a big fan of the Caldwell County Courthouse which is near me outside Austin:

It's a small town known for barbecue. But it's a Second Empire style building (i.e. Napoleon III). It's a glorious mashup of Baroque and Gothic and who knows what else.

• Locked thread