Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

d'oh I mixed up 1/20 with 20%

even if it were a 2 billion valuation, its a company that has managed to turn actual profit for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Main Paineframe posted:

private planes are regulated differently from passenger plane services, and safety is a huge deal in aviation. the faa doesn't care if joe jackass goes on plane joyrides with his friends, but if he starts doing it with passengers then he needs to meet (expensive and thorough) commercial standards and requirements or the faa will eviscerate him

yeah thats why i said it would have to be a true 'sharing economy' thing and not some retarded IPO bait poo poo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

even if it were a 2 billion valuation, its a company that has managed to turn actual profit for years.

which means that their offering will tank because they are boring

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

"wheres their 100x growth story?"

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

yeah thats why i said it would have to be a true 'sharing economy' thing and not some retarded IPO bait poo poo

some sort of system in which a group of people share with each other their time, skills, and resources for mutual benefit, you say?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Spime Wrangler posted:

some sort of system in which a group of people share with each other their time, skills, and resources for mutual benefit, you say?

hmm. not sure if i like the sound of this, comrade.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
what about the sharting economy

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
just another name for yospos

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

nope, that doesn't work either

if you accept any money at all - even just to cover or reduce costs - to carry strangers, you need to be certified as an air carrier

one of the "uber for planes" startups asked the faa if it was legal last year and the faa responded with a ruling that was the legal equivalent of unleashing a herd of wild tigers on the entire "planesharing" industry

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Main Paineframe posted:

if you accept any money at all - even just to cover or reduce costs - to carry strangers, you need to be certified as an air carrier

one of the "uber for planes" startups asked the faa if it was legal last year and the faa responded with a ruling that was the legal equivalent of unleashing a herd of wild tigers on the entire "planesharing" industry

hahaha the faa owns

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
faa does own, they do not gently caress around in the least bit

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

congratulations to the FAA for unleashing a thousand tigers apund the head of the sharing economy

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
now if only they'd tell united to get my dingus baggage to me on time!!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elder Postsman posted:

hahaha the faa owns

nobody asked the faa before because everyone knew it was kind of a grey area but had some plausible deniability without the explicity ruling

except the grey area was always splitting fuel 50/50 with a friend. nope!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Main Paineframe posted:

i'm talking about canada, as per my first post way back, friend

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

qirex posted:

share prices dropping during/after an IPO is better for lining the company's pockets, no?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

share prices dropping during/after an IPO is better for lining the company's pockets, no?

not for the employees who have a 6 month lockout period

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
IPOs aren't for the employees, they're for the investors and the financiers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

looks like uber doesn't have a patent on being bait-and-switch shitbags

quote:

SFist received a tip this week that a gang of Lyft drivers were might peeved about a lucrative promotion that was dangled by the company and then, apparently, rescinded rather quickly. The deal was that Lyft drivers could refer a friend to become a driver, and if that friend passed his or her background check and took their first fare before a certain deadline, both driver and friend would get $1000 each. It seems a great many of Lyft's fleet took advantage of this call to action and Lyft was inundated with new applications. But for those drivers looking to make a buck who didn't act fast enough, Lyft quickly sent out an email calling off the promotion ahead of schedule.

According to the anonymous driver, who said she and a group of others were planning either a protest at Lyft HQ or a strike of some sort depending on how the company handled matters, drivers suspect the company is intentionally stalling background checks to save themselves some dough. The email announcing the end of the promotion, she said, was sent during a Lyft-sponsored event to recruit new drivers.

And there's more. "Today, they sent out an email warning us that even if background checks are delayed, we will not get the bonuses we rightfully deserve, and many are speculating that they may be intentionally slowing down the process to save money (countless people have been experiencing app errors with the onboarding process, in addition to that last bit of shadiness)."

This driver said she is a full-time, five-star driver working for Lyft for over a year who says she's suffered "months of driver abuse" by the company. "Things have been rough for drivers lately, so if they fail to honor those driver referrals, many of us will be protesting."

SFist contact Lyft for comment on the problem, and received this response from communications manager Paige Thelan. "We saw a tremendous response to last week’s special invitation to applicants, resulting in the biggest wave of applications in Lyft history. This was a time-limited promotion and we're working hard to process applications before the promotion ends, while continuing to maintain our core safety standards. We expect that thousands of people will qualify for the promotion."

Also, she adds, "We're always exploring new ways to welcome drivers to the Lyft platform and will be in touch with updates for applicants who were not able to qualify for the latest promotion, after this promotion concludes."

This snafu follows some months of tension for both Lyft and Uber, which are each the subject of a lawsuit questioning the legality their business model, in which all drivers are treated as independent contractors.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

a well-managed IPO has no day-1 pop

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

a well-managed IPO has no day-1 pop

why does nobody get this??

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

why does nobody get this??

tech bubel

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Q: what's the fastest way to turn $1 billion into $1 million?

A: invest in an airline

I like "how do you make a small fortune in the airline business?"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I LIKE HOW

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
a hole in the air u throw money into

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jonny 290 posted:

faa does own, they do not gently caress around in the least bit

uber but for the faa
fr

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
What is a boat?

Nintendo Kid posted:

a hole in the water u throw money into

Water regs have always been miles behind. Uber for boats?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Maluco Marinero posted:

What is a boat?

Uber boaters reportedly getting laid, because of The Implication.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

PCjr sidecar posted:

Uber boaters reportedly getting laid, because of The Implication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1lc6KASWg

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Main Paineframe posted:

private planes are regulated differently from passenger plane services, and safety is a huge deal in aviation. the faa doesn't care if joe jackass goes on plane joyrides with his friends, but if he starts doing it with passengers then he needs to meet (expensive and thorough) commercial standards and requirements or the faa will eviscerate him

but what if Uber decided to disrupt this industry?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

eschaton posted:

but what if Uber decided to disrupt this industry?

we're talking about it because two ~~~disruptors~~~ were already shot down for trying it

but i guess uber needs to get that 9 figure valuation by breaking some more laws

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
they didn't say anything about hot air balloons

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Maluco Marinero posted:

the open seas are totally lawless! SeaStead Libertopia!

maybe I'll re-read some of the goonfic that came out of the gray forums seasteading mock thread

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

if uber were an airline, it would have the highest market cap of any airline worldwide

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
if uber were an airline, it would have had the first catastrophic plane crash due to oversight lapse on maintenance

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

if uber were an airline, it would have the highest market cap of any airline worldwide

maybe they'll buy an airline

and make all the pilots, crew, and maintenance independent contractors

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

thank you for linking the joke you dumb idiot.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

born on a buy you posted:

thank you for linking the joke you dumb idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEoTQB7h3NQ

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

eschaton posted:

maybe they'll buy an airline

and make all the pilots, crew, and maintenance independent contractors

federal indictments on like 5000 charges in the first 8 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009