Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Super Slash posted:

I have a dumb question; how are you supposed to transport a bike you've bought back to your home? (UK)

Say I bought a bike private rather than a dealer, you can't ride it back home unless you have it insured and taxed right? Are you supposed to pack it up in a van? Rely on the goodness of the seller to drive it to your house?

I'm tried/bored of my scooter and want to move to a 125 geared bike until the day I have the dosh to do my licence and afford a larger bike, and the two bikes I've had were delivered from the dealer by a van giving me time to do the paperwork etc.

Insurance should be an easy online form. If it is current on tax/rego you should be OK riding it home.

Or you could arrange delivery with the seller - offer to buy it but at your place or something. Talk to the seller. A friend of mine sold his CX500 to a guy as his first bike, but he didn't want to ride motorway-distance home on it with no experience so my friend rode it to his house for him and then the buyer drove him home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Insurance companies and municipalities have accounted for this. My insurance company gives me 30 days to tell them I've purchased a new vehicle, and California gives you 10 days to register it. Where you are may vary but I'm certain there's some leeway built in.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Yeah check your local laws, there's almost always an exemption, it's not exactly a rare thing to buy a used vehicle and have to get it home somehow. If not, just get insurance online, keep the title on you as proof you just bought it (dated and all), and I can't imagine any decent cop would actually ding you for it, unless you're doing something else stupid like speeding or doing wheelies down the road. DMV here also does temp tags, though I've never bothered so I don't know the specifics.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
So the KLR 250 fell through. Even though it is a 24 year old budget tier dual sport the guy insisted it was in such a good condition it should be priced as a showbike/collectors item.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

makka-setan posted:

So the KLR 250 fell through. Even though it is a 24 year old budget tier dual sport the guy insisted it was in such a good condition it should be priced as a showbike/collectors item.

That's pretty much the_craigslist_experience.txt. Guys like that are the reason you will see a motorcycle or car on CL for months at a time. They're looking for P.T. Barnum's proverbial sucker who's made of money and not terribly bright - the problem is, that person is usually going for a motorcycle or car that brings a status, not just a well-functioning machine.

If you have the patience, wait a month and send another message. The problem is he's probably feeling bold right now as we're quickly approaching spring, and there will be a lot of people out there jealous of other riders and looking for something.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

This just popped up nearby, a 92 Seca II.

http://boone.craigslist.org/mcy/4914657269.html

I've dismissed them in the past because getting a 600cc inline 4 before I know what the hell I'm doing sounds like a bad idea, but after looking around a bit, apparently they aren't as high-strung as other sport bikes? My riding experience is pretty much nonexistent, maybe a few minutes on my brother's heavy-rear end vulcan nomad.

Pretty tame all-in-all. Handling was OK, power output was linear and somewhat unexciting. I remember them being a little cold-hearted, like 5 minutes on choke. Most of the Seca-IIs I see now have been beat on and basically unloved. That one doesn't look special in any way. I put many miles on one as a beginner, then went to an FJ1200 which was awesome.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Ripoff posted:

That's pretty much the_craigslist_experience.txt. Guys like that are the reason you will see a motorcycle or car on CL for months at a time. They're looking for P.T. Barnum's proverbial sucker who's made of money and not terribly bright - the problem is, that person is usually going for a motorcycle or car that brings a status, not just a well-functioning machine.

I can't wait to see the emails and poo poo that I get when I put the Harley up for sale in a few weeks.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

VERTiG0 posted:

I can't wait to see the emails and poo poo that I get when I put the Harley up for sale in a few weeks.

Please post them for posterity.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My experience with CL must be atypical. I generally have good experiences buying, selling, or giving away. Heck I got my 4'x6' workbench for 1/3 the cost of materials to build one.

OK I just read something that made me chuckle:

"Craigslist is a damned amazing goldmine if you are smart, quick, and persistent. It's also a war zone of insane worm-hole travelers that come from a parallel universe with a barter system that cannot be comprehended by any rational human. Those skilled enough can navigate the battlefield and enjoy a life filled with legitimate treasure."

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 6, 2015

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I just sold the CA staple, 07 SVs. I'll be following the goon progression and getting sumo/dualsport next! (DRZ400 or WR250) OOoooooweeeee I am excited!

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

clutchpuck posted:

My experience with CL must be atypical. I generally have good experiences buying, selling, or giving away. Heck I got my 4'x6' workbench for 1/3 the cost of materials to build one.

OK I just read something that made me chuckle:

"Craigslist is a damned amazing goldmine if you are smart, quick, and persistent. It's also a war zone of insane worm-hole travelers that come from a parallel universe with a barter system that cannot be comprehended by any rational human. Those skilled enough can navigate the battlefield and enjoy a life filled with legitimate treasure."

It depends on what your buying, and where you live mostly. Generally buying anything car/motorcycle/bicycle in nature on Craigslist is just a poo poo deal all around though, and the few times something worth buying does come up it's snatched faster than you can react.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
There was a goon that bought an MT-09 when it came out. How is it going so far? Saw one in the flesh and seriously considering it as an upgrade after my 250.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Should I buy this?

I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow. It has 1/3 the miles as mine, upgraded DDFI3 engine with the beefier rods/crank and computerized idle control. Same color as my brother's.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No.

Next?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
how awful are Suzuki Bandits?

I hvae one that's been for sale in my area for a while, a 2003 gsf600 (with the windshield, etc) for 2500 bucks. would it possibly be a decent upgrade from a gs500?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They're pretty fun if you get a 1200. A friend of mine rode his to Sturgis with me a few years ago. His only problems were a neglected chain and an under-torqued oil filter, both self inflicted.

And $2500 should be 1200 territory.

Slavvy posted:

No.

Next?

That was rhetorical.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nitrogen posted:

I hvae one that's been for sale in my area for a while, a 2003 gsf600 (with the windshield, etc) for 2500 bucks. would it possibly be a decent upgrade from a gs500?

Can't speak for price but a b600 is a substantial upgrade over a gs in the engine and brakes department. Also slightly less budget construction/quality but it's still suzuki. Suspension is so-so. Really if you want a proper upgrade, get a B12 for around the same money.

clutchpuck posted:

That was rhetorical.

I know. You're too far gone for rescue by conventional means to be possible. The only way you could be rehabilitated now is if someone sneaks into your house at night and replaces your bike with a KTM adventure or something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

Should I buy this?

I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow. It has 1/3 the miles as mine, upgraded DDFI3 engine with the beefier rods/crank and computerized idle control. Same color as my brother's.

Of course - if we can concentrate all the Buells together in one garage it's less property damage when we burn the garage down.

You're doing gods work.

(Real talk: Owning multiples of the same bike is the right way to handle the sickness)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Can't speak for price but a b600 is a substantial upgrade over a gs in the engine and brakes department. Also slightly less budget construction/quality but it's still suzuki. Suspension is so-so. Really if you want a proper upgrade, get a B12 for around the same money.

Upgrades to just about everything are still very much available for Bandits though so you can fix most problems/niggles for pretty cheap (although the 12 is even easier in that regard)

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Thanks. I just looked at a newer ducati 620 that I liked even better

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
How are old(ish) dr650 as a first bike? There's a 1994 one for 2700$ cad with 11k kms in really good condition.

They seem to make more power than the later gen.

+ it looks :krad:

Grimarest fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 7, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
So it is still several months off at the earliest, but my fiance already insisted that I upgrade to a bigger bike soon. :aaa: I can't wait to spend months agonizing in this thread with all of you before settling for a salvaged Street Triple that I never get properly runnjng.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Grimarest posted:

How are old(ish) dr650 as a first bike? There's a 1994 one for 2700$ cad with 11k kms in really good condition.

Hell yes.

Chichevache posted:

So it is still several months off at the earliest, but my fiance already insisted that I upgrade to a bigger bike soon. :aaa: I can't wait to spend months agonizing in this thread with all of you before settling for a salvaged Street Triple that I never get properly runnjng.

It must be nice to get confirmation that you were right to put a ring on it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Chichevache posted:

A good fiance.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Is a Kawasaki 250 or 300 still a good starter bike for a larger person? I'm about 6'3 and was reading that people my size weren't as comfortable on those bikes.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

ChaosReaper posted:

Is a Kawasaki 250 or 300 still a good starter bike for a larger person? I'm about 6'3 and was reading that people my size weren't as comfortable on those bikes.

I'm 6'4 and couldn't fit my knees on the 250 or 300. I fit quite comfortably on the cbr250/300. Depends what your leg length is though. Short answer: try one for yourself.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Not a huge deal, but out of curiousity: if I'm looking at dual sports, is the fuel economy between a 250, 400, and 650 going to be much different? This would be my third bike (first was a 125, second was a 250), I'm leaning towards a 400/600 since I'd like to do a bit of highway riding and feel like I ought to take the opportunity move up. This being Tasmania we're talking a very occasional, no more than 2-3 hours jaunt on the highway at ~110kph, with the bulk of the riding being commuting or done on more local roads.

nitrogen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVUZMAPjHTI

Grimarest posted:

Should be fine, that seems like a good price too. IIRC the DR650 is slightly more road-oriented than a KLR650, I could be mis-remembering though.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
So I'm looking to get my first bike, and a friend from work is offering up his early 80's Honda CB750 Custom for ~$1500 CDN. He says it has around 130k miles and has been sitting around unused, so it may need a little maintenance.

No collisions/drops, etc.

Good deal? Should I go for a different bike? Ideally I want to use this to train on so I can go touring.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
There's a guy on the big Toronto motorcycle forum cancelling his RC390 order because it's too thin.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

ceaselessfuture posted:

So I'm looking to get my first bike, and a friend from work is offering up his early 80's Honda CB750 Custom for ~$1500 CDN. He says it has around 130k miles and has been sitting around unused, so it may need a little maintenance.

Good deal? Should I go for a different bike? Ideally I want to use this to train on so I can go touring.

Anything that has sat around unused is a big red flag. You should buy your first bike in ready to ride condition unless you really know how to work on stuff. $1500 doesn't seem like much of a deal either. If it starts right up and runs/rides well that's a different deal.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

There's a guy on the big Toronto motorcycle forum cancelling his RC390 order because it's too thin.

Is that a good place to look for used bikes in the GTA? Because kijiji is as thin as the hair on the top of my head.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Linedance posted:

Is that a good place to look for used bikes in the GTA? Because kijiji is as thin as the hair on the top of my head.

It can be, if you want a supersport. Everybody on Kijiji wants unbelievably hilarious prices for their used bikes. May as well just buy new. The best was a guy recently asking $8k for a year old Ninja 300.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

It can be, if you want a supersport. Everybody on Kijiji wants unbelievably hilarious prices for their used bikes. May as well just buy new. The best was a guy recently asking $8k for a year old Ninja 300.

I don't. I'd probably be better off importing from the US if the exchange rate wasn't in the toilet at the moment. Hell at least I'd be more likely to find something that isn't a dirt bike/cruiser/r6.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ceaselessfuture posted:

Terrible idea. Buying an 80's bike is nothing like buying an 80's car. 130k miles is interstellar distance as far as an old bike like that is concerned. The fact that it has sat around not being used means you're taking the carbs apart and replacing the tyres at minimum. You'll end up doing more working on than actual riding, plus it's a terrible bike to learn on - heavy, cantankerous, crap handling and brakes. On top of which you have piss poor reliability (mainly a product of age and PO fuckery, of which there will be lots).

Think less 'old worn honda beater' and more 'classic in dire need of restoration'.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 8, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

clutchpuck posted:

Should I buy this?

I rode it, I liked it. It has the right Buell specific quirks. The wife will let me buy it. We can afford it. It's too expensive though.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Great, thanks for the intel guys!

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

I rode it, I liked it. It has the right Buell specific quirks. The wife will let me buy it. We can afford it. It's too expensive though.

That's a 2008 right? What exhaust? And does the updated engine actually feel different?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Factory exhaust. Sounds like a bag of skeletons at idle but when it switches over to open pipe mode it sounds pretty good.

The beefier 08 crank seems to make the pistons feel lighter. It has a less pronounced shake at idle. Above that, the isolation system in the 06 does as good a job as the 08.

e: poo poo's getting real. I posted a craigslist WTB and might have found one with 1/5 the miles as this one, for $1000 less.

I showed my wife the photo and she said "You have to buy that."

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 10, 2015

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Pro Tip: (e.g. I did something dumb, so don't y'all do it)

Now everything i'm taking about here mostly applies to 2003-2007ish ducatis. Check for yourself to figure out what's what. I'm still learning.

If you are buying a ducati (or any other motorcycle with a transponder lockout key) make sure you either:

1) have two or more working keys.
2) have the magical red key that will allow new keys to be added
3) use the lack of either to negotiate the price down.

drat place gave me two keys, but only one of them was "blessed" by the bike, even though both were cut. Of course, They nor I realized that until I had driven off.

NOW

If you need more of these magical keys, tons of locksmiths will tell you NOPE WE CAN'T DO IT!" but they are just being lazy. You'll have to order the keyblank1 most likely, but any place that can program a T5 transponder chip2 can then program/clone and cut the key.

---
1 JMA TP05DCT-1.P, Ilco KW17T5-SI or Silca KW17T5-SI keyblanks.
2 Ilco/Silca - RW2 or RW3, Strattec - Quick code, Jet – Smart clone, Bianchi - Repli-code can code the keys. Not limited to these, but these can do it.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's a really good post that could save some folks a lot of money.