Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Power was never a problem for the crossbones except when it came to running time on the I-Field emitters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

muike posted:

Power was never a problem for the crossbones except when it came to running time on the I-Field emitters.

Not even really that, the I-Field emitters didn't run out of power, they overheated and had to shut down for a cooling cycle. There's never any assumption in the manga that the I-Fields would run down anytime before the rest of the X-3.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Pretty much most of the limits Full Cloth had are heating issues, considering both its primary weapons are several taped together. The Peacock Smasher is like 9 beam barrels and the Blaster is 14/15 odd beam sabers.

Hence Safety Release is even a thing.

Yosuke fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 6, 2015

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, this happened:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well the "limit" the Full Cloth had was being a worn down, outdated machine charging into battle against vastly superior forces.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

AradoBalanga posted:

Well, this happened:

The armor comes off!

dude took some artistic liberties with the sculpt

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

The armor comes off!

dude took some artistic liberties with the sculpt

:staredog: I'll never understand.

In a similar vein, I wonder why they don't make the Designated Rival team have a bit more of a scrappy time. Is there value in them being on some untouchable pedestal? Having Lucas mostly trash the Academy before losing and them having to rebuild things before the final match would have some psychological effects, wouldn't it? You're laser focused on these guys, and they nearly got iced. Maybe that's a bad Final 4 plan, but in the Ro8 or 16, that would be an awesome way to declare that this is a completely different league.

It'd also add a sense of shared struggle. Both sides have something to prove, and struggled to get to the top, so there's that much more pathos to hinge the final battle on as the culmination of their blood, sweat, and tears, and not just a desire for gud fites.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Is there value in them being on some untouchable pedestal?

Having the mountain to climb is a pretty effective thing to do with a strong rival team. It emphasizes how far the protagonists have to go and makes it more impressive when they actually win. It just tends to work better when the strong rivals have a strong personality.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Having the mountain to climb is a pretty effective thing to do with a strong rival team. It emphasizes how far the protagonists have to go and makes it more impressive when they actually win. It just tends to work better when the strong rivals have a strong personality.

Plus the Nationals don't really have the same gravity the World Cup does, especially when they're in school teams with an age bracket. The best you can say about any team in BF-Try is that they've been together for three years at most. That's in bad contrast with Build Fighters where toppling Greco Logan at the National level actually feels like a major upset because he's made a career of being a world cup-tier fighter for many years.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Plus the Nationals don't really have the same gravity the World Cup does, especially when they're in school teams with an age bracket. The best you can say about any team in BF-Try is that they've been together for three years at most. That's in bad contrast with Build Fighters where toppling Greco Logan at the National level actually feels like a major upset because he's made a career of being a world cup-tier fighter for many years.

I think they may have made the Academy the way they did to try and deliberately give us a rival team that doesn't fit the standard mold.

From another perspective, Gunpla Academy would be the heroes of a story centered around older teens and aimed at a slightly older audience. instead, they're the rivals and biggest fish in the pond of a show focusing on a younger group of players.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Really you can't point to any one thing that is wrong with characters or motivation or setup. This show is just poorly written when compared to season 1.

Like what do we know about all these designated rivals? There are three of them now on one team, ignoring Meijin, Lady Meijin and whoever else. What kind of a character is Wilfred besides a calculating type that likes to fight? Who is Adou besides a hot head who likes a fight? What is there to Wilfred's sister besides having some weird connection to gupla and sensing their feelings? Are any of these characters developed, at all?

The show just carts in characters and then discards them, probably never to be seen again? Like where is not Sleggar? Dead in a car crash? Did Gyanko really do anything worthwhile recently? What about that boxer dude? At least Sakai has been around for most of the show and they managed to develop his character a bit. Even if that character is an rear end in a top hat who has trouble interacting with people in any social situation.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Lostconfused posted:

Did Gyanko really do anything worthwhile recently?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I hope Bandai go on to make <series>: Build Racers or Build Flyers set in the BF universe at some point. Take full advantage of being able to make plastic models move.

Fake edit: Build Tanks

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I really do want more stuff in the Build Fighters universe. it's such a great excuse to have nerdy Gundam fun.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

I really do want more stuff in the Build Fighters universe. it's such a great excuse to have nerdy Gundam fun.

I agree, though I don't want them to wear out their welcome. I think they should take a two year break for trying for another series.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

There's still the issue that having a tough battle for its own sake is conflating the motivations of the characters with the actions they're taking. Sei wasn't a gunpla sperg because he loves gundam, that's the same as saying "I like to fight because I like fighting." (Looking at you, Sekai and Junya)

Sei loves Gundam because he's living in the shadow of his absentee dad, Gundam is his only method of measuring himself against his father. Sei isn't just climbing the mountain because it's there, if he had no reason to fight there'd be no tension no matter how difficult it seemed.

The accomplishment of winning is the fulfilment of a character's reason to participate in the first place. If we want to demonstrate how far the main characters have to go, we first need to know "Why bother? What's at stake?" and the answer right now is nothing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

There's still the issue that having a tough battle for its own sake is conflating the motivations of the characters with the actions they're taking.

You can do "I want to be the strongest" as a motivation in sports anime. It helps to have other motivations but there are several classics which are basically just about a guy trying to be the best. It is just that they're carried by strong personalities and unusual and interesting opponents. Like... well, BF S1.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You can do "I want to be the strongest" as a motivation in sports anime. It helps to have other motivations but there are several classics which are basically just about a guy trying to be the best. It is just that they're carried by strong personalities and unusual and interesting opponents. Like... well, BF S1.

Lots of shows do it, doesn't mean it's very compelling, and yeah it works best with like one person, not the entire cast. And even then if you drill down a lot of the time those characters have actual internal motivations to be driven, even if they don't state them explicitly.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Basically the BF writing staff should have marathoned Rocky 1-4 before they started Try.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Supposedly Try had noticeably less production time compared to original GBF. I only have unsourced rumors, but that would explain a lot of things. Try still sucks regardless.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Level Slide posted:

Supposedly Try had noticeably less production time compared to original GBF. I only have unsourced rumors, but that would explain a lot of things. Try still sucks regardless.

It's possible. Try was released a mere six months after the end of Build Fighters, which makes it seem like it could have been a rushed production after the first season got hype.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Well one of the producers tweeted about how the season is ending and that they are already in pre-production for the next entries so either we are getting another season or a movie.

e-hopefully they see the SWGs sales and decide to just give us more Fumina making cool suits instead of more Sekai.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I will laugh so hard if Try ends in a stinger for a movie.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. There's been a bunch of anime that's gone for the 1-2-Movie punch, and I've been half-expecting it ever since they announced Try was only going as far as the Nationals.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

THE ADOLESCENCE OF GUNPLA HAS ENDED.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

THE ADOLESCENCE OF GUNPLA HAS ENDED.

Reiji reappears leading an army of gunpla-wielding soldiers from Arista to take over the world! Which falls over immediately, because all they do is huck plastic toys at people.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Reiji reappears leading an army of gunpla-wielding soldiers from Arista to take over the world! Which falls over immediately, because all they do is huck plastic toys at people.

Remember what thread you're in. Do you and your thirty Beargguy Fs seriously believe that flogging tiny plastic models to people would be an inefficient strategy for world domination?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember what thread you're in. Do you and your thirty Beargguy Fs seriously believe that flogging tiny plastic models to people would be an inefficient strategy for world domination?

I said huck, not hock. As in they start fastballing HG Mocks at people's faces.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If gdgd faries can get a movie then I believe in the potential for any anime to get a movie.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well one of the producers tweeted about how the season is ending and that they are already in pre-production for the next entries so either we are getting another season or a movie.

e-hopefully they see the SWGs sales and decide to just give us more Fumina making cool suits instead of more Sekai.

I think the world open tournament is still solo as far as we know, so Fumina and Yuuma can enter individually and get the character development and fights they deserve. Sekai can die on the way to his home planet.

Alternately, Fumina is the new Lady Meijin, hopefully with better pants and no clown shoes, and spreads the joy of gunpla across the land.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chumbler posted:

I think the world open tournament is still solo as far as we know, so Fumina and Yuuma can enter individually and get the character development and fights they deserve. Sekai can die on the way to his home planet.

Alternately, Fumina is the new Lady Meijin, hopefully with better pants and no clown shoes, and spreads the joy of gunpla across the land.

While I did make fun of Lady's pants, they're honestly pretty rad for only being half of a pair. :japan: as gently caress.

Clownshoes still gotta go though.

Looks like Gyanko just realized Shia stole the Dragonballs.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Luminaflare posted:

I hope Bandai go on to make <series>: Build Racers or Build Flyers set in the BF universe at some point. Take full advantage of being able to make plastic models move.

Fake edit: Build Tanks

They really need to add a Build Fighters themed series of levels to the Breaker games, or at least more of the suits. Even if you can ghetto together some amazing monstrosities in that.(Suits with 7 GN drives, or poo poo with more bits/funnels than you ever need.)

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

AzMiLion posted:

They really need to add a Build Fighters themed series of levels to the Breaker games, or at least more of the suits. Even if you can ghetto together some amazing monstrosities in that.(Suits with 7 GN drives, or poo poo with more bits/funnels than you ever need.)

No such thing as too many funnels.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Khisanth Magus posted:

No such thing as too many funnels.

As provided by a friend.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Gearhead posted:

As provided by a friend.

You can do more with the freedom backpack. And i think there's some other parts you can jam in there.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What's that from? Gundam Breaker?

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's that from? Gundam Breaker?

Gundam Breaker 2, has a different way of dealing with bits and such and is generally much improved. It's pretty loving good and available on the JP PSN.

E: The game is perfectly playable without knowing japanese btw, the suits are listed by serial number as well, and the modules and EX attacks all have translation guides available. And it's still getting a new suit weekly at this point.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 8, 2015

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

AzMiLion posted:

Gundam Breaker 2, has a different way of dealing with bits and such and is generally much improved. It's pretty loving good and available on the JP PSN.

E: The game is perfectly playable without knowing japanese btw, the suits are listed by serial number as well, and the modules and EX attacks all have translation guides available. And it's still getting a new suit weekly at this point.

I'm probably getting a UK PS4 soon, am I going to be able to get it with that somehow? Can I be signed up on multiple PSN accounts/regions? Or is it PS3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm probably getting a UK PS4 soon, am I going to be able to get it with that somehow? Can I be signed up on multiple PSN accounts/regions? Or is it PS3?

It's PS3.

• Locked thread