Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

There's Garth Ennis' remarkaby restrained Spidey-story he did for Tangled Web of Spider-Man (trades of which are remarkably cheap on Amazon and also has that Flowers for Rhino story). Also it involves yet another spider-person being created as a result of Peter's original lab accident.

Grim Hunt from 4 or so years back was pretty good. You don't need to read the several stories before it but they all are connected to the Kraven family either intentionally or incidentally leading old villains of Spideys to him to wear him down.

You should also read Yost's Scarlet Spider series. Just cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
And hey, if you liked Last Hunt you should probably find The Soul of the Hunter OGN. I always thought it put Pete in a good place about all his trauma.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So now that they're not bound by crossover law to pay attention to the main title, what are the odds on any of the writers of the other spider-books (2099, Silk, Gwen) paying attention to Slott's dumb "oh man everybody's spider-sense is totally shot" thing from the latest issue?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

So now that they're not bound by crossover law to pay attention to the main title, what are the odds on any of the writers of the other spider-books (2099, Silk, Gwen) paying attention to Slott's dumb "oh man everybody's spider-sense is totally shot" thing from the latest issue?

Silk maybe is? Although hers seems oversensitive more than anything. What with Cindy picking up on emotional breakups and minor accidents.

And... Really? He's back to that well? He really hates the spider-sense, huh?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I want to add that I love how incredibly blasé everyone is about an entire universe poofing out of reality. Especially when the guy who's job is to oversee that poo poo admits he has no idea what just happened.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

I want to add that I love how incredibly blasé everyone is about an entire universe poofing out of reality. Especially when the guy who's job is to oversee that poo poo admits he has no idea what just happened.

Well to be fair universes have been poofing out of reality, and literally crashing into our reality, for several months now so...

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

TwoPair posted:

Since Miguel never had Spider Sense in the first place (gently caress youuu Slott) I don't really care.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm still pretty underwhelmed by Spider Verse but the epilogue was pretty nice, I assume we will see Ock return eventually (whether is as Superior or Octavius is anyone guess).

Although turning Karn into the Weaver through a stable time loop is kind of a downer story. Everything will repeat forever and ever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Well to be fair universes have been poofing out of reality, and literally crashing into our reality, for several months now so...

Well yeah, but that's something we as readers know about. To Spider-Man in universe, this should be big news.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

TwoPair posted:

I wouldn't have minded if everyone did (Scarlet Spider not having spider-sense in his series resulted in some fun storytelling,) but Gwen totally used hers in her first issue with no problem.

Having no spider-sense would at least explain satisfactorily why Silk and Peter aren't drawn to each other anymore, if they want to do that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh. I'm not reading ASM, and I took 'shot' to mean 'not working right'. If Slott's literally gone back to the well of no spider-sense, then Silk's ignoring it too. Like, SUPER ignoring it by going the other way. Like I said, in her title, hers is way too good, like she goes out in costume and it turned out it was being triggered by a girl having a traumatic fight with her boyfriend.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

TwoPair posted:

When did this happen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

When did this happen.

Okay I phrased it poorly their spider-sense is "diminished"

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

To be honest that just seemed to be more of an excuse to get Julia out of her coma/not have her know the future whenever Pete catches up with her.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

To be honest that just seemed to be more of an excuse to get Julia out of her coma/not have her know the future whenever Pete catches up with her.

Then why have someone specifically say "You mean our Spider-Sense?"

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Because Spider Sense is what she uses to see into the future and is shown a couple of pages earlier in the issue waking from her coma when Ock damages it. It's very clear there will be minor power stuff but at no point do people lose their Spider-Sense. Kaine will probably come out of it different too since he's used his Spider-Sense to see into the future as well.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 27, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like Jessica should be snickering behind her hand at that. "Suckers, I don't have any bullshit precognition powers anyway!"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

notthegoatseguy posted:

Grim Hunt from 4 or so years back was pretty good. You don't need to read the several stories before it but they all are connected to the Kraven family either intentionally or incidentally leading old villains of Spideys to him to wear him down.

You should also read Yost's Scarlet Spider series. Just cause.
I'd agree some of the Gauntlet stories that were the setup for Grim Hunt were good, especially the Rhino one.

Of course Grim Hunt itself brings Kraven back to life, undoing a bunch of the pathos of Kraven's Last Hunt as well as pointlessly kills off the (albeit obscure) third Spider-Woman to resurrect another member of his family, who then dies again at the end of the story.

But I will second that Scarlet Spider is great.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
It's kind of hard to see this week's issue of Spider-Woman as the fifth issue of the book, because it's so dramatically different from the last four issues, in every way, that it's easier just to look at those as a separate Spider-Verse tie-in miniseries. I liked it, though. The art was pretty and the story was paced well. I don't really know that much about 616 Jess, but I'm warming up to her.

If Silk, Spider-Gwen and Spider-Woman stay like they are now—clever street-level stories with really good art—then I'll just keep supporting those comics and stop giving a gently caress about Peter entirely.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes, Spider-Woman was great. I know people hate on Hopeless for those books he wrote that I never read but this was good stuff. All of the Spider books are fun right now, it's a good time to be a Spider fan.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The art in Spider-Woman was nice but the book really needs someone other than Hopeless. It really felt like all the worst ways to try a soft reboot.

Like when Carol got a new costume there wasn't her commenting about Manara covers in the book, they just went and did it. That and Jess' characterization feels completely off, well when she wasn't explaining to the audience how she had to change her life "just cos". It just all feels very forced, along with trying the Superior Foes route of using the Z-list superheros are goofy thing, but again Superior pulled it off.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
See, I liked that tone here, but hated it in Ant-Man. So maybe I just don't like Spencer?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really wanted to like Spider-woman this week but something about it just felt off putting.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

See, I liked that tone here, but hated it in Ant-Man. So maybe I just don't like Spencer?

Perhaps. Because while I didn't dislike Spider-Woman, I'd say that Ant-Man sure hits the kind of tone Spider-Woman seems to be going for much better. And if you're gonna do the whole "Z-list supervillains are weird" thing then yeah, Superior Foes basically is a master class.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 5, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spencer and Hopeless are not writers anyone should hesitate to dislike.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Deadpool posted:

Yes, Spider-Woman was great. I know people hate on Hopeless for those books he wrote that I never read but this was good stuff. All of the Spider books are fun right now, it's a good time to be a Spider fan.

Lurdiak posted:

Spencer and Hopeless are not writers anyone should hesitate to dislike.

As always when people complain about Hopeless I need to chime in that he wrote X-Force just recently, which was a pretty entertaining series. He can do good stuff if he sets his mind to it. It's just always the question if you get X-Force-Hopeless or Avengers Arena-Hopeless.

And Spencer wrote Superior Foes. Anyone who hates that is suspect anyway.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Decius posted:

As always when people complain about Hopeless I need to chime in that he wrote X-Force just recently, which was a pretty entertaining series. He can do good stuff if he sets his mind to it. It's just always the question if you get X-Force-Hopeless or Avengers Arena-Hopeless.

And Spencer wrote Superior Foes. Anyone who hates that is suspect anyway.

Superior foes wrapped up far to quickly :colbert:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They are both hit or miss. That's fine, lots of people are like that. Loeb kept doing terrible things in the name of a dead boy named Sam but once he started writing about a live one he knocked it out of the park. Apparently Dan Slott wrote something good once. Bendis.

These things happen.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Sorry, guys, Fraction's X-Men wasn't very good, so I'm gonna have to take a pass on this Hawkeye thing I keep hearing about, just too much of a bad taste in my life.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

Sorry, guys, Fraction's X-Men wasn't very good, so I'm gonna have to take a pass on this Hawkeye thing I keep hearing about, just too much of a bad taste in my life.

Read iron fist. If you like that you'll like Hawkeye.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Read iron fist. If you like that you'll like Hawkeye.

I was being sarcastic about the whole, "Author did one bad book, won't ever read anything ever again," attitude. Hawkeye is extremely good.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hopeless has some things that really annoy me. Like last issue when he had an actual female character say they weren't going to be fridged. It was a terrible line and he's super clumsy with his 4th wall poo poo. I wish he would avoid that and just write. I really enjoyed his X-Men Season One graphic novel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Hopeless has some things that really annoy me. Like last issue when he had an actual female character say they weren't going to be fridged. It was a terrible line and he's super clumsy with his 4th wall poo poo. I wish he would avoid that and just write. I really enjoyed his X-Men Season One graphic novel.

Holy poo poo, in Spider-woman #4?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo, in Spider-woman #4?

Yep.

Even worse, it was Gwen talking about her alternate self. Just loving terrible.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the other hand, I really liked the scenes later in that issue between Jess and Carol. Especially Carol's reaction to Jessica saying she thinks a new costume might be in the cards.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yep.

Even worse, it was Gwen talking about her alternate self. Just loving terrible.

"Fridged off a bridge."

Jesus Christ.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I know it's a total coincidence, but I was tickled that during her conversation with Carol about ditching the costume she says she hates donuts. When she puts back on her costume in the first arc of Bendis' New Avengers, Jess says she's done with donuts, and uses them to bribe imprisoned super villains.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

I laughed at the line. It was clever.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I laughed at the line. It was clever.

How is it clever? Unless Gwen knows she's a comic book character it's a lovely line the author forced in to try to be hip and meta.

If your girlfriend or wife get murdered you're not going to say they got fridged. Because it's a term used for comic book characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Dead Gwen Stacy is not Gwen Stacy: Spider-Woman's girlfriend or wife. All Gwen Stacy: Spider-Woman knows about Dead Gwen Stacy is that she is Dead, and thus Gwen Stacy: Spider-Woman may be more likely to make dorky comments about it in casual conversation. It's not like it's been established that nobody in Gwen Stacy: Spider-Woman's universe knows what the term "fridging" is.

• Locked thread