Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I made the Serious Eats Ragú Napoletano last week and after eating about half of it just with pasta, I decided to do a baked pasta. I also made mozzarella for the second time on Friday and had about a pound of it to use.

and I made some garlic knots from leftover pizza dough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Le0 posted:

Hey, looks nice, what is it you guys call Swiss cheese? Because I'm Swiss and I don't know what Swiss cheese is. Gruyere is obviously the best cheese in the world tho :eng101:
Also I like to add a little Kirsch in the fondue as well (it's a cherry based alcohol which gives it a nice kick).

This man knows what's up. A shot of kirsch taken midway through the fondue is also great (coup du milieu). Also the best fondue is 1/2 Gruyere and 1/2 Vacherin Fribourgeois but good luck finding the latter though it's so good, though it varies far more widely in taste and texture than gruyere.

Man I haven't had one in a while :( So expensive unless I find myself in switzerland to pick up that stuff though.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 3, 2015

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Le0 posted:

Hey, looks nice, what is it you guys call Swiss cheese? Because I'm Swiss and I don't know what Swiss cheese is. Gruyere is obviously the best cheese in the world tho :eng101:

For foods (or other words) in foreign languages a good quick trick is to go to that language's google images and type in the word. It's really forgiving of spelling which is great.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Le0 posted:

Also I like to add a little Kirsch in the fondue as well (it's a cherry based alcohol which gives it a nice kick).

It's an American variety of Emmental

Also I always was taught to use Kirshwasser in with the fondu, but hell the last time I made it, it came out super watery, so what do I know

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
It's my mum's birthday so I made her favourite: lemon meringue pie.

It was loving delicious.

Yeah she likes cats ok.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I made myself a grilled PB and Nutella.

DwarfWoot
Oct 31, 2013

toplitzin posted:

I made myself a grilled PB and Nutella.

I just finished eating, dammit. Now I want to go make one of these!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Lazy ramen
Packet of Nong Shim Black, can of tuna, celery and carrot matchsticks, softboiled egg, radish kimchi, enoki and oyster mushrooms, toasted sesame seeds, sesame oil, scallion, roasted nori sheets

BELT and kale chips
Homemade sourdough toasted in bacon fat, Nueskes applewood bacon, red zebra tomato, green leaf lettuce, crispy egg, garlic mayo, kale chips dusted with neutral oil, salt, and korean chili powder

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Awful photography, tasty tri-tip salad.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

Lazy ramen
Packet of Nong Shim Black, can of tuna, celery and carrot matchsticks, softboiled egg, radish kimchi, enoki and oyster mushrooms, toasted sesame seeds, sesame oil, scallion, roasted nori sheets

You and I have very different definitions of lazy

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
-40 windchill today, made some crock pot chili. Just spicy enough to warm you up.

Raw chili - in natural light.

After stewing for six hours - in artificial light.

Yes, there's corn in there. And a lot of other delicious stuff.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Took the words right out of my mouth. That's hardly nuking a HUNGRY-MAN™, Casu!

In my further adventures of "I love seafood but have rarely cooked with it" I thought it was time to give clams a go.

Spaghetti alle Vongole using cuttlefish ink spaghetti (black is such an appealing food colour *ahem*). Did it in bianco style:

Half of my clams fell out of their shells, but the shells make it look prettier anyway :backtowork:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

ColHannibal posted:

Oh hey! I made Pad thai also, but I made the food and wine version. My grocery store apparently had a run on bean sprouts so I did not have any, but some fresh red Jalapenos really kicked it up as I also was without thai chilis.

Does Tamarind really dye the noodles red? I never get my Pad Thai as red as any Thai place I have been to and I assume it has to do with using vinegar as opposed to Tamarind paste.

Paprika for the red!

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

franco posted:

"I love seafood but have rarely cooked with it"

Speaking of rarely cooking seafood ...

Catfish ceviche :v:

(Alton Brown's recipe) I was craving ahi poke and it would have been faster to make, but this sounded good. This is actually my second batch. Going to try it with shrimp next time.

E:img link

cocoavalley fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 5, 2015

DwarfWoot
Oct 31, 2013
We have a bunch of leftover stuff in my fridge right now, and I'm trying to use it up before it goes bad, so lately I've been making these:

(Google, thank you for being so creepy and automatically turning my pictures into semi-stabilized .gifs)

They're really tasty, only take about 5 minutes total (preheat oven, assemble 'pizza', and bake for 4 minutes) and I've learned that tortillas are basically super crispy pizza crusts.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Not technically food

better than food

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Adult Sword Owner posted:

franco posted:

idk, I just cut some carrots and celery and mushrooms up, tossed everything in a pot, and boiled an egg. Everything else I had in the fridge ready to go. Took like 20 minutes start to finish.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Casu Marzu posted:

idk, I just cut some carrots and celery and mushrooms up, tossed everything in a pot, and boiled an egg. Everything else I had in the fridge ready to go. Took like 20 minutes start to finish.
Nah, that's my half-effort kind of meal. Lazy for me would be what I did yesterday for lunch... I spread leftover pizza sauce (as in the sauce I asked the pizza place for on the side when I ordered a pizza) on a toasted everything bagel thin, then sprinkled it with pre-shredded mozzarella cheese, and broiled it. Sometimes I make really embarrassing, trashy, bachelor-y "meals."

Your BELT sandwich looks loving fantastic, by the way---specifically, the toasty crunchiness of that bread.

Rockfish (aka pacific snapper) burritos with homemade guac:

peppadew pepper mac n' cheese

Laminator posted:

Not technically food

better than food
This looks like some sort of coffee laboratory and it's awesome.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

sharkattack posted:

Nah, that's my half-effort kind of meal. Lazy for me would be what I did yesterday for lunch... I spread leftover pizza sauce (as in the sauce I asked the pizza place for on the side when I ordered a pizza) on a toasted everything bagel thin, then sprinkled it with pre-shredded mozzarella cheese, and broiled it. Sometimes I make really embarrassing, trashy, bachelor-y "meals."

Your BELT sandwich looks loving fantastic, by the way---specifically, the toasty crunchiness of that bread.

Rockfish (aka pacific snapper) burritos with homemade guac:

I love BELTs, just wish I had some avo so I could BLEAT.

Either that's mutant huge cilantro or an itty bitty burrito :kimchi:

Speaking of :kimchi: :

Green beans stir fried with oyster mushrooms, garlic, ginger, oyster sauce, black vinegar, sesame

Perilla, radish, and green onion kimchis

Bulgogi topped with lots of sesame oil and some enokis fried quickly in the leftover bulgogi liquid

LETTUCE WRAP, MOTHERFUCKERS :snoop:

Edit: Sorry, not sorry for the lovely instagram collage

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Casu Marzu posted:

Lazy ramen

I have everything here except the mushrooms. I know what's for breakfast tomorrow!

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Either that's mutant huge cilantro or an itty bitty burrito :kimchi:

It actually should just be perspective, you can see the burrito is nearly twice as tall as the ramekin of guac, and with the leaf being flat, you can get a sense that the leaf and burrito are both normal size.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fenris13 posted:

It actually should just be perspective, you can see the burrito is nearly twice as tall as the ramekin of guac, and with the leaf being flat, you can get a sense that the leaf and burrito are both normal size.

Yeah. sharkattack also shot with a 100mm lens which really compresses any objects in the background making em appear a lot closer/bigger than they should.

hey, what kind of a setup are you running anyway, sharkattack? Camera on tripod with a strobe?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Prosciutto-wrapped chicken breast with caprese salad.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah. sharkattack also shot with a 100mm lens which really compresses any objects in the background making em appear a lot closer/bigger than they should.

hey, what kind of a setup are you running anyway, sharkattack? Camera on tripod with a strobe?

My pictures could be so much better and crisper if I would use a tripod, but I really like to be able to move around easily to get different shots, so I just hold the camera. Also, I'm impatient.

I usually just shoot outside on my little balcony, in natural light, even if it's dusk or rainy. This is usually incredibly odd to my neighbors (I live across from a park), and I get asked what the hell I'm doing all the time. It's really awkward to explain you're having a photo shoot with a large piece of raw pork or a dozen cupcakes...

If it's full on nighttime and I absolutely *have* to shoot inside, then I have a basic light kit that I pull out with two big lights. One has a reflector umbrella and the other has a white diffuser umbrella. Orrrrr if I'm too lazy to do that, I'll flip the WB on my camera to tungsten and shoot in the horrible lights in my house, then do a crazy amount of WB in post.

Both of those photos are natural light. The burrito photos were taken on a day where it was pouring rain, so I was right inside my sliding glass door with very little light, hence all the grain in the photos.

And I just realized I took way too long to explain that I shoot outside in natural light :downswords:

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

franco posted:

In my further adventures of "I love seafood but have rarely cooked with it" I thought it was time to give clams a go.

Spaghetti alle Vongole using cuttlefish ink spaghetti (black is such an appealing food colour *ahem*). Did it in bianco style:

Half of my clams fell out of their shells, but the shells make it look prettier anyway :backtowork:

Man, that looks absolutely beautiful, I want a plate of that right now.

And, not going to be ready yet, but it turns out the butcher 5 minutes down the road does ox cheek at £5.50 a kilo...

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

franco posted:

This looks cool as hell

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

NLJP posted:

This man knows what's up. A shot of kirsch taken midway through the fondue is also great (coup du milieu). Also the best fondue is 1/2 Gruyere and 1/2 Vacherin Fribourgeois but good luck finding the latter though it's so good, though it varies far more widely in taste and texture than gruyere.

Man I haven't had one in a while :( So expensive unless I find myself in switzerland to pick up that stuff though.

You know what's up with fondue :hfive: Moit/moit is definitely my favourite type of fondue. I hope you are coming back soon, all the cheese will not eat itself.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Spur of the moment, office-closed-snow-day project complete.

Not the most photogenic, and I've carefully avoided photographing some of the ones that look worse, but they're pretty good! I made chocolate, raspberry, blueberry, and chocolate raspberry, but the raspberry preserves seem to have kept the chocolate from melting for some chemistry-related reasons I don't fully understand, so those look a little funny.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Not as pretty as Casu Marzu's and I overshot the egg a bit, but it's still tasty as hell.

(Yes, I like carrots. A lot.)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sex Hobbit posted:

Not as pretty as Casu Marzu's and I overshot the egg a bit, but it's still tasty as hell.

Would eat that. Looks great.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Jerk chicken with a shaved provolone, granny smith apple and kale salad

First time making jerk chicken. I need to jerk it more often.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
You can come over to my place and jerk it whenever you want, that looks fantastic.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
i loving love chicken fried steak

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Would

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Sex Hobbit posted:

Is there a thread for this kind of stuff? I have always wanted recipes for this.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flaggy posted:

Is there a thread for this kind of stuff? I have always wanted recipes for this.

If you mean ramen, I'm pretty sure he used instant ramen, like I did. :v:

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

wheez the roux posted:

i loving love chicken fried steak

Yea brother, that's a good looking chicken fried steak!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Flaggy posted:

That's literally just Nong Shim Black instant ramen with some stuff on top (hard-boiled egg, scallions, narutomaki, roasted nori, enoki mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, celery and carrots) and a blop of sesame oil added to the broth. If you want to get fancy on Asian food though, wander on over to the Chinese thread, Korean thread, or the Japanese thread!

(Almost all of it is way easier than it looks! :ssh: )

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 8, 2015

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nong shim black is so loving good for an instant pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

Nong shim black is so loving good for an instant pack

It is, but I have some Korean stuff that is in 0% English so damned if I could ever give any info about it that's a bit better.

• Locked thread