Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I decided to take a break from the drudgery of highlighting Black Templars and finish some stuff that's been sitting around for 10+ years. I have a unit of metal tyranid gargoyles that I wanted to paint up in hive fleet Kraken colors forever ago, and goddamn did I forget how much I hate assembling all metal models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Reynold posted:

I decided to take a break from the drudgery of highlighting Black Templars and finish some stuff that's been sitting around for 10+ years. I have a unit of metal tyranid gargoyles that I wanted to paint up in hive fleet Kraken colors forever ago, and goddamn did I forget how much I hate assembling all metal models.

Those miniatures were particularly bad. The wing assembly made me want to peg them at the wall. I recently assembled a heap of second ed gargoyles and they were a dream to put together

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 5, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well the competition is open to anyone receiving the newsletter, so even if they're not using an email client service that provides that kind of drill down they're already using a database to manage their lists. And even if it wasn't sign up date is standard for these types of lists.

I'm sure they're going to get bad email addresses but email bounce is another standard report in client service providers. Anyone putting a bad email address or unsubscribing is only wasting their time and have no impact on the actual contest. They won't even be consisted to win.

You're not understanding the point at all. They will unsubscribe after the competition is over. Or just mark it as spam, which is even worse since enough spam markings can get your mail blacklisted straight to everyones junk folder on that provider. They're not 'bad' addresses in so much as they're utterly pointless for what they want the newsletter to do.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Uroboros posted:

Very nice. Are those mixed armies that are all the same color template? How much of it were you able to buy pre-painted to your standard as opposed to stripping and repainting?

They are mixed armies in the same red and black scheme. Approx 65% eBay. All stripped and resprayed if I got them online.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

serious gaylord posted:

You're not understanding the point at all. They will unsubscribe after the competition is over. Or just mark it as spam, which is even worse since enough spam markings can get your mail blacklisted straight to everyones junk folder on that provider. They're not 'bad' addresses in so much as they're utterly pointless for what they want the newsletter to do.

Okay, I get what you're saying. Sorry, I was tunneling on the execution over the efficacy. I do agree with you there, my company has pretty much given up on email contests in exchange for continued value. I think they'd have better luck doing something like 5% discount on shipping when ordering from a valid subscribed address or the occasional one use discount codes in the newsletter.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Or just issue free shipping vouchers once per month, randomly, to people signed up for the newsletter.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Who the gently caress cares about that?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

serious gaylord posted:

And how does that data get into the excel file in the first place? You either manually sort it, or use a program that reads the e-mail responses for you. Both cost money.

This is a thing entirely done to drive signup to their newsletter so they can push products onto more people. These aren't organic sign ups either, they're people entirely interested in winning that model so the conversion rate from their sign ups will be terrible. Most will unsubscribe straight away because they're only there for the free stuff. They're not interested in the Forgeworld sales pitch every other day.

Further, adding a step to the equation will lower the amount of respondents anyway. To get the biggest bang for your buck in something like this you make it as easy as possible, to reach the most people you can, for as little spend as you can get away with.

I'm sorry you don't understand email marketing systems. It's just hilarious how adamant you are about how difficult it is to do this very trivial task that would take an intern ten minutes to complete and adds no cost because they already have a way of maintaining and generating email lists. It's such an odd, dumb hill to die on and you're wrong about it. It is also trivial to send a follow-up email to anyone in Australia/Canada with the trivia question. If they don't answer, they can't win. Man, that was easy. It cost us $0 and got us more sign-ups because we got more people from Australia than we would have gotten.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 5, 2015

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Been working on some Inquisitorial Henchmen.

Priest. When I first used him he rarely got his Hymns off and never hit in combat, so I went with the iron cage blindfold head. Maybe the torch on his back will make him hit better, the useless git.

Crusader. He's a grumbly dude who is often stuck guarding the Mystic, a thankless job that tries his patience greatly. I'm going to stick a cigar in his mouth, probably.

Mystic. A cyber-slave, more a data entry unit than a human being, able to process numbers at a horrifying rate and calculates the best spot for deep striking units. Never shuts up.

A general theme I'm going to be going for the warband is that Inquisitor Scaramanga is a terrible boss. Not in the "I have your life in my hands" kind of boss, but the kind who doesn't pay you for poo poo and rarely remembers to fund you the necessary equipment you need; as a result, people who are luckless enough to follow him have to scavenge for necessary goods on the battlefield, with acolytes carrying xenos weaponry or tinkering with their existing stuff to fix/make them better. A lot of the models will be carrying all sorts of weird poo poo they shouldn't be, which is pretty much an excuse to kitbash with all the junk I've collected over the years.

Going to be working on two more Crusaders, a Psyker, and some Death Cult Assassins. A bit lost on the last ones though; maybe I'll see if I have any of those Wood Elf models still.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm sorry you don't understand email marketing systems. It's just hilarious how adamant you are about how difficult it is to do this very trivial task that would take an intern ten minutes to complete and adds no cost because they already have a way of maintaining and generating email lists. It's such an odd, dumb hill to die on and you're wrong about it. It is also trivial to send a follow-up email to anyone in Australia/Canada with the trivia question. If they don't answer, they can't win. Man, that was easy. It cost us $0 and got us more sign-ups because we got more people from Australia than we would have gotten.

How are you pooling correct answers? I don't know anything about mailing lists but it's entirely within the realm of possibility that whatever they use doesn't handle return email content, isn't it?

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Stop your moaning about marketing contests that you don't care about anyway. I have important stuff to share:

:siren:VERY OLD AND BADLY-PAINTED MODELS AHEAD:siren:

On a visit back home to my parents' place recently, I was goign through some boxes of old stuff and found a bunch of old minis. These range from mid/late 80s into the early 90s I think.
I have vague memories of painting these. I will have been about 10-12. Don't judge.

First up is a bunch of random metals I think these are made of the old "don't lick your fingers" lead casting.

The labels/dates on the base tabs are as follows:

Top row:
3x Ninja (1985/86)

Middle row:
Harald (GW 1985)
Mercenary (GW 1987)
Mercenary (GW 1987)
Testbed Slave (GW 1988)
Timelord (GW 1987)

I found a few references to 'Testbed Slave' that led me here:
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Rogue_Trader_Adventurers,_Mercenaries_%26_Pirates_-_Collectors_Guide

Bottom row
Some kind of techmarine on a jetbike?
An wounded marine? (He seems to be laying on his back and missing a hand)

Next is a set of marines from Space Crusade
Apparently I was in to the Terracotta-Red Angels when I was a kid...
(In digging these out, I learnt that those bayonets on the bolters are drat sharp when you grab them without realising)

I've also got a bunch of old-school green plastic orks and gretchin that I'll get pictures of at some point too. As well as some old White Dwarf issues back when it was the best thing ever. I think one of them is the Space Crusade launch issue, so that would be 1990?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Slimnoid posted:

Been working on some Inquisitorial Henchmen.

Priest. When I first used him he rarely got his Hymns off and never hit in combat, so I went with the iron cage blindfold head. Maybe the torch on his back will make him hit better, the useless git.

Crusader. He's a grumbly dude who is often stuck guarding the Mystic, a thankless job that tries his patience greatly. I'm going to stick a cigar in his mouth, probably.

Mystic. A cyber-slave, more a data entry unit than a human being, able to process numbers at a horrifying rate and calculates the best spot for deep striking units. Never shuts up.

A general theme I'm going to be going for the warband is that Inquisitor Scaramanga is a terrible boss. Not in the "I have your life in my hands" kind of boss, but the kind who doesn't pay you for poo poo and rarely remembers to fund you the necessary equipment you need; as a result, people who are luckless enough to follow him have to scavenge for necessary goods on the battlefield, with acolytes carrying xenos weaponry or tinkering with their existing stuff to fix/make them better. A lot of the models will be carrying all sorts of weird poo poo they shouldn't be, which is pretty much an excuse to kitbash with all the junk I've collected over the years.

Going to be working on two more Crusaders, a Psyker, and some Death Cult Assassins. A bit lost on the last ones though; maybe I'll see if I have any of those Wood Elf models still.

This is extremely good poo poo.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

That really is one grumbly dude. I think there's a cigar-chomping head in the hydra kit if you can get a hold of one.

Slimnoid posted:

:stare:

It looks like you've got a really cool project going on. Inquisitorial warbands are great for this sort of stuff since they let you get real weird with things.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

How are you pooling correct answers? I don't know anything about mailing lists but it's entirely within the realm of possibility that whatever they use doesn't handle return email content, isn't it?

Its funny that hes saying I know nothing about e-mail systems when no e-mail system I've seen outside of bespoke systems can handle anything like that. Its always a plugin from some other company or another website that creates the information, for a cost of course. But no, hes right, they'd just use an intern to sort the tens of thousands of replies they'd get from a trivia question. Trivially easy.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Leave prize draw open to all.
Pick winner at random
If Shipping Address is in Australia, email trivia question.

No sorting of thousands of entries required.

vv The way someone above phrased it was the random draw is to enter a game of skill- might need slightly different wording on the draw entry bit, but functionally the same

Renfield fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 5, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Doesn't the question have to be asked when entering or its still a sweepstake?

This is distracting from the proper point that its a gigantic waste of time that will give them nothing but ill will. No-one does free stuff for likes anymore because its a gigantic scam and not worth whats given away.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
omfg no one cares that aussies get poo poo on and email promotions

So I played against Harlies last night. Big ol' meh. Way too much bling and required bullshit, the solitaire couldn't kill 5 tac marines, and I basically just gunned them down with bolters, choosing not to use pistols to charge because bolters are better then letting them swing. The speeders are venoms with S6 guns and I don't care how many swings you have when you are wounding on 5s with no AP or have a random AP2 wound here and there.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Who the gently caress cares about that?

The people that FW wants signing up and staying signed up for the newsletter.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The sort of people who do enough purchasing from FW to care about a free shipping voucher are surely the type of people who already signed up for the newsletter, I'd imagine.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
GW cannot give away hundreds of pounds of free model without being the villains. Magnificent.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

GW cannot give away hundreds of pounds of free model without being the villains. Magnificent.

Way to miss the entire point of the last page or so.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

The sort of people who do enough purchasing from FW to care about a free shipping voucher are surely the type of people who already signed up for the newsletter, I'd imagine.

People like Ghost Hand spend enough to get free shipping anyway. A free shipping voucher might be just enough incentive to pull someone onto the list, or turn a dabbler who's already on into a purchaser. If I had a free shipping voucher in my hand right now you can bet your rear end I'd put in an order for $100-150 before midnight.

It can also be a good way of spreading word that the newsletter exists. (I didn't know about it until about two months ago, when all of the pictures of WIP stuff meant for Horus Heresy Weekender started coming out). Personally I like getting the newsletter, at least when the content is in the email body and I don't have to click on anything. FW are a lot less frequent and spammy than the Charles Tyrwhitt or Rosetta Stone or The Atlantic people, and it seems like each one has something new, even if it's just some cool pictures of some fan's army or staffer's conversion.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Well yeah, it's only 250 pounds for free express shipping, which to most places is something like ~40 pounds, which is a pretty substantial amount of money to save (assuming you were going to spend the difference on FW models at some point).

e: I think I got signed up automatically for the newsletter, but I've been getting it for a while now. Maybe it was just a link you clicked while logged in?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I have no idea what free model you're talking about, as far as I'm concerned there's no free model at all :australia:

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

Naramyth posted:

That Tau bro ate it hard game one. And my Tau buddy plays 2 knights as line backers to keep things away from his missiles for days.

That GK army was top 8 and lost to the guy who won it with scouts.

What exactly is that army list? I'm morbidly curious.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I wonder how many miniatures those avatars would have bought instead?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Oi noi! A dropbear stole me avatarbie!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Well yeah, it's only 250 pounds for free express shipping, which to most places is something like ~40 pounds, which is a pretty substantial amount of money to save (assuming you were going to spend the difference on FW models at some point).

e: I think I got signed up automatically for the newsletter, but I've been getting it for a while now. Maybe it was just a link you clicked while logged in?

I have never "ordered" from FW because I can't stand the idea of paying for shipping, yet I never really want more than ~$150 of stuff at a time and I also can't ever managed to whip my friends into finalizing their buy-ins for a group order. I have some FW stuff I've picked up at conventions and I'd love if the rumors pan out regarding FW being available for in-store pickup.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

W

Strength of Many posted:

What exactly is that army list? I'm morbidly curious.

Which one?

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

"I'z Murdah Wrathbeard, Kaptin of Industry and da Orkonomist, and I ask you: Iz a boy not entitled to da loot of 'iz fights? No says da lootaz, dey belong to whoever can grab 'em first. No says da mekz, dey belong to whoever can bash 'em togeva best. No says da boss and da nobz, dey belong to da biggest. I rejekted all dat. I pulled on me boots and built me a couple 'a megablastas. Now da loot belongs ta me, hur hur hur..."

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

Naramyth posted:

W

Which one?

The one featuring what I assume is Grey Knights and allied Space Marines, with three Dreadknights and Centurions.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Didn't GW at one point make like horribly racist Aboriginal figures, that may explain why they don't like Australia. They're just horribly racist.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No, don't be silly, they were horribly racist African pygmies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah that doesn't make it better, also I think the whole no gambling thing and higher prices may be due to prisons?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Deanut Pancer posted:

Space Crusade was before my time but I had no idea how much of their marine appearances resembled that of their 2nd Edition box set counter parts.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

ProfessorCurly posted:

"I'z Murdah Wrathbeard, Kaptin of Industry and da Orkonomist, and I ask you: Iz a boy not entitled to da loot of 'iz fights? No says da lootaz, dey belong to whoever can grab 'em first. No says da mekz, dey belong to whoever can bash 'em togeva best. No says da boss and da nobz, dey belong to da biggest. I rejekted all dat. I pulled on me boots and built me a couple 'a megablastas. Now da loot belongs ta me, hur hur hur..."

Now dis is a fing of bea... of beuu.. a fing dat wot looks good and is a larf.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Strength of Many posted:

The one featuring what I assume is Grey Knights and allied Space Marines, with three Dreadknights and Centurions.

http://bloodofkittens.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Aaron-Albert-8th-Overall-Las-Vegas-Open-2015.pdf

It's a pretty typical centstar. Draigo, the libby, and lloth join the cents to get them Gate, Prescience, and Invisibility guaranteed. The dreadknights act as linebackers and cleanup units with minimal scoring that walks on/deep strikes in. Very deathstar-y and if the powers don't go off you have a bad day. When I played it I bought a bunker with an escape hatch so I could hide turn one if I go second and be able to get to midfield without casting turn one.

It's pretty strong.

e: lol angry text avatar. :glomp:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/SOLAR_AUXILIA_OGRYN_CHARONITE_SQUAD.html

These look really dumb.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Aside from the one with the open face mask, I think they look pretty cool, like Big Daddies from Bioshock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Painting update:

Still to go is 12 warriors, 5 wraiths, 5 immortals, a night scythe. And I have a week to do it :ohdear:

• Locked thread