Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Man I can't wait for nothing to come out of this, other than a slap on the wrist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

You Am I posted:

Man I can't wait for nothing to come out of this, other than a slap on the wrist

Those wrist slaps were obviously partisan in motivation.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

Those wrist slaps were obviously partisan in motivation.

They were so partisan I didn't even both to actually slap the perpetrator on the wrist before condemning it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anyone have any experience with being hired as a contractor?

Just got offered a position doing work helping out an electrician on a building refurbishment in the city. About 3 months work, full time hours, and money I could really do with.

However,, first off I need to go get a white card (couple of hours and $100, no big deal), purchase my own insurance, and get an ABN. Just now speaking on the phone to the guy he explained how those are the things I need, and once I have the ABN he can give me a contract to sign.

Right now all my spidey-senses are tingling that this seems extremely suss, and while I could really do with the money I'm leaning towards it not being worth it. However I don't have experience doing this before so is there anyone who has had positive experiences doing something like this and can persuade me to turn off the alarm ringing in my head?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ABN's pretty standard stuff. No idea about the others though, what's a white card, and I just do computer stuff.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

White card is required to work on construction sites.

This could all be fine and the standard way of doing things, this thread has been filled with enough terrifying stories though that the mere word contractor makes me fear becoming an Anidav-esque cautionary tale to others.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Contract work means you're choosing to present yourself as a business rather than an individual, so you're not entitled to the same protections and benefits.

It can either be quick, well-paid work where the business doesn't want to offer you continued employment because the project is very temporary.

Or it can be a scam where you're going to get hosed due to the absence of the aforementioned protections and benefits.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

hooman posted:

They were so partisan I didn't even both to actually slap the perpetrator on the wrist before condemning it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Protip: Join the union appropriate to your field and get them to look over the contract for you.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for February:

2015: J

2014: JFMAMJJASOND

2013: AMJJASOND

Last month's highlights:

Not trying to steal your jorb or anything but how do you make these, in particular getting all the thread content in?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Shadeoses posted:

Not trying to steal your jorb or anything but how do you make these, in particular getting all the thread content in?

Writes the thread out by hand into notepad.exe.

TasGoons = BestGoons

Endman
May 18, 2010

TheMightyHandful posted:

Writes the thread out by hand into notepad.exe.

:stare:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

That is the perfect gif to illustrate politicians reaction to corporate malfeasance. Thank you.

EDIT: Actually they also need to turn around a punch a poor person in the face if we want a perfect illustration.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Senor Tron posted:

I'm pretty sure BCR recently posted about different emlpoyment options, and being a contractor was an option where you had to be switched on to your rights and obligations. Think it's more of an option for those that are looking to work for themselves, might not be worth it if it's only going to be a one off?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
Check the ATO page on sham contracting

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Senor Tron posted:

Just got offered a position doing work helping out an electrician on a building refurbishment in the city. About 3 months work, full time hours, and money I could really do with.

However,, first off I need to go get a white card (couple of hours and $100, no big deal), purchase my own insurance, and get an ABN. Just now speaking on the phone to the guy he explained how those are the things I need, and once I have the ABN he can give me a contract to sign.

Right now all my spidey-senses are tingling that this seems extremely suss, and while I could really do with the money I'm leaning towards it not being worth it. However I don't have experience doing this before so is there anyone who has had positive experiences doing something like this and can persuade me to turn off the alarm ringing in my head?
In before BCR: https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Employee-or-contractor/How-to-determine-if-workers-are-employees-or-contractors/?anchor=P27_3519#P27_3519

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

A huge amount of people work like this, the risk is being treated as a sham contractor. You wont get holidays/sick days, and you'll need to pay GST is some form.

If it's only 3 months work then the above probably wont seem like much to worry about. The problem is when you start working like that for years on end, effectively you are a full time employee with none of the benefits.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Although after 6 months of it you are meant to be made a full-time on-payroll employee.

If they don't do this they are opening themselves up to you taking them to court for back super/holidays for the time you worked for them.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, I'm aware of the GST stuff, but I won't be working long enough doing this to reach that point.

I think I'll give it a go and look over the contract. If things like super are covered then it's probably fine, if they aren't then I'll run away.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
In 2055, everyone will be Anidav, Joe Hockey warns.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Anidav posted:

In 2055, everyone will be Anidav, Joe Hockey warns.

Ha! By 2055 I'll be over 65 which means I can reti-oh... wait...

:negative:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog tackling the issues of today:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Dead Darwin grandmother exhumed and cremated so grandson could sell burial plot

IN a bid to make some extra cash, a Darwin man had his grandmother's body exhumed and cremated so he could sell her burial plot to a desperate dying punter.

Darwin City Council alderman Gary Haslett said at a council meeting discussion on the reviewed Cemetery Act that a “black market” for people “just dying to be buried” at the general cemetery has emerged.

Darwin General Cemetery is full, except for grave sites purchased in advance, and is effectively closed.

Unless they have a plot waiting, dead Darwinites have no other choice than to be laid to rest in the plots of Litchfield’s Thorak Cemetery.

General manager of infrastructure Luccio Cercarelli said the council was not aware of any extreme measures to be buried in the cemetery, but the NT News understands people have gone to even more grave attempts to leave their mark in the ground.

The ex-wife of a man who had reserved a plot in the cemetery decided to plot against his potential burial and changed the reserved plot into her name.

The man died some years later and his new family, who were preparing for his burial, learned at the last minute that the man’s last wishes could not be met.

Mr Cercarelli said owners of an unoccupied existing grave were able to transfer or sell the burial rights to another party and this did happen from time to time and was a private transaction.

Locals would advertise their desire for a burial plot, or selling of, through the NT News, a local funeral director said.

The director, who wanted to remain anonymous, said sales were done very privately and finding out the going rate would be impossible.

One wouldn’t be able to claim any capital gains tax ­either, because GST came in 2000, they said.

The only other cemeteries in Darwin are Pioneer Cemetery and Gardens Road Cemetery - both officially closed.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/lifestyle/...s-1227250917290

Endman
May 18, 2010

"David Leyonhjelmet"

:laffo:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Les Affaires posted:

Once again proving that the existence of matter requires the existence of anti-matter.

MODS

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Jeff. He came to the PCR family as a bit of a surprise but we all grew to love him. As a mark of respect the Dino park will be closed for the remainder of the week.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, I'm aware of the GST stuff, but I won't be working long enough doing this to reach that point.

I think I'll give it a go and look over the contract. If things like super are covered then it's probably fine, if they aren't then I'll run away.

Working for an electrician would hopefully mean they operate a little better. As they're licensed, and that license can be taken away, there's an incentive not to do anything that can lead to complaints.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if half the Denison Greens didn't vote 1 for Wilkie.

Reynolds was a terrible candidate and remains hanging around the branch with a sense of entitlement but I held my nose and voted for her so we would get those sweet sweet couple of dollars from people voting 1 Green.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

Reynolds was a terrible candidate and remains hanging around the branch with a sense of entitlement but I held my nose and voted for her so we would get those sweet sweet couple of dollars from people voting 1 Green.

Capitalist spotted. In it for the cash all along.

TheMightyHandful fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 6, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Senor Tron posted:

My father does IT contracting like this. Considering the industry and job description, it's probably legit, not to mention that they were open and helpful about what you have to do on your end. Just read over the contract and keep in mind you have to pay your own super and get insurance etc. A short term project assisting an electrician is a legit use of contracting, it's when the permanent editor of a magazine is a contractor that something shady is happening (yes I know somebody in this position, yes they're being paid less than minimum wage)

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Unironically voted Greens 1, PUP 2, KAP 3, Labor 4, Liberal 5 last Federal election, and kept the same order (with extras inbetween) for the Senate. Come at me, bro.

Same.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah RIP.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

How much are they paying you? If they're paying you 15-20% above the going rate then they're less likely to be just trying to gently caress you over.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ragingsheep posted:

How much are they paying you? If they're paying you 15-20% above the going rate then they're less likely to be just trying to gently caress you over.

$150 a day, which works out to around $21 an hour. Also from looking up info they should cover my super contribution.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Isn't that just above minimum wage for a casual?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

hiddenmovement posted:

Isn't that just above minimum wage for a casual?

Yup.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The ATO has a tool that might be able to help you.

http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/AXOS.asp?KBS=BC_SOWA.XR4&CONTEXT=01586887go+-1++0+0+6F6B+=

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I would guess that because you don't do this kind of thing regularly and don't have a proper company set up (an ABN by itself might not be enough) you should probably be treated as an employee rather than a contractor. If you have to pay yourself super and withhold tax from that $21/hour it's going to be a pretty poor rate.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/policies-and-guides/fact-sheets/rights-and-obligations/contractors-and-employees-whats-the-difference

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Goddamit Labor also QLD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, interesting.

What state are you in? You're very likely to need your own "work cover" insurance as well - unless that what your potential employer means.

If it's for indemnity, insurance can be expensive - and the more coverage you have the more you pay. Some places have a minimum level of coverage as well.

• Locked thread