Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It sounds like he wrote average fantasy but managed to get lucky and it got popular. I've picked up random books on iTunes for a dollar (or free) that've been about as well written as Kingkiller stuff and those books didn't include several hundred pages about going to school or recycling the same "met with girl/played music at a club/got in a pissing match with a shitlord noble" stuff over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Rothfuss was on my flight to Boston this morning. He was presumably going to PAX. I managed to not grill him about when the hell book 3 is coming out.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Has anyone seen this tragedy yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjo4MBWHc7w

Apparently Nightwish made a Name of the Wind song.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Benson Cunningham posted:

I knew they let themselves go once they dropped the original singer but this is a new low.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Hah, I just came here to post this, did a triple take.

anilEhilated posted:

I knew they let themselves go once they dropped the original singer but this is a new low.

gently caress you, this is the best album they've put out in a decade. :colbert:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Rime posted:

Hah, I just came here to post this, did a triple take.

gently caress you, this is the best album they've put out in a decade. :colbert:

Nightwish is a gateway drug. Now go listen to Ne Obliviscaris and Troldhaugen.

Here are the lyrics for the Nightwish song

quote:

One by one we light the candles of the show
One by one entered a theater of the primal birth
Silently watch the planetary curtain go down
Laugh and drink joys as the powerful play greets you tonight

We are the Edema Ruh, we know the songs the sirens sang
Sea of stream, every tale true
Soon as we leave with you, we'll take you home

We've got a pick to open all of the gates
A show you will see, a starlight to drown all your cares
Mirror houses, the sweetest kisses and lights
The Debussy twilight between winter and the roaring sea

Dance to the whistle to the play to the story
To infinite encores
Laugh at the royalty with sad crowns
And hear the chorus once more

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

anilEhilated posted:

I used to be really into Nightwish back in '99-03, their songs have always often been about some nerdy thing (i.e. Elvenpath -> LOTR). I stopped listening after they fired Tarja because holy poo poo Annete was horrible and that was a dick move.

So I haven't listened to much of their stuff in the past decade, but it seems Floor is definitely an improvement over Annette and after giving some of their new songs a listen, it isn't bad. In fact they're almost as good as before but still not quite the same and feels like it's missing something--or maybe I'm just old as gently caress now and it's not my cup of tea anymore :shrug:

VVVVVV Lucky you! I wish I could have seen them in their early 00 prime and now I'll never get the chance :( But yeah I'm the same with that type of music now.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 7, 2015

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I saw Nightwish live once with Tarja. It was a good show. I've sort of lost my interest in that sort of metal in the years since but I'm glad I got to see them in their prime.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Huh. One of my students was really looking forward to seeing that band, had backstage passes and everything. Then she got a case of 'telling us about her suicidal thoughts' and everyone flipped and took away all her nice things* and made her leave**.

And I'm like... yay we got a troubled teen to talk about their problems with adults who could help and we promptly made her miserable and separated her from all the things that kept her together.

But now I am amused because everyone was all :supaburn: "she's really into metal" and it turns out to just incredibly nerdy.

*Because metal=bad.
**Because liability.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

anilEhilated posted:

They've been bad since Tarja left/was booted. Weren't they also the ones that were like OMG Richard Dawkins is awesome AFTER he came out as a misogynist and pedophilia-apologist?

But man, what a descent from Hans Christian Andersen to Patrick Rothfuss as a literary inspiration.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 8, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha, saw a bunch of replies and got excited. Should have known it would be metal music discussion.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha, saw a bunch of replies and got excited. Should have known it would be metal music discussion.

You should know that you should not open this thread until doomsday 2020

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Nightwish is a gateway drug. Now go listen to Ne Obliviscaris and Troldhaugen.

Holy poo poo these are both awesome.

TBB: Better for non-poo poo metal suggestions than the metal thread in NMD.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Getting anything resembling quality out of a Rothfuss thread has to be some kind of record.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

This is a thing I guess: http://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/38pdo9/im_patrick_rothfuss_word_doer_charity_maker_and/

Rothfuss is doing an AMA. And he asks himself when his next book is coming out. He is literally white knighting himself in the responses then.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
He is weirder than GRRM despite being decades younger. :psyduck:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, Rothfuss and reddit were pretty much made for each other.

edit: At least he likes Barry Hughart, I suppose.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 6, 2015

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
He didn't answer the one question I was really interested in.

quote:

Hi Patrick,
This AMA is probably going to be full of people praising your work so I apologize if this comes off as me trying to just show up to be negative for the sake of being negative.

I have a huge problem with your books. Your character Kvothe is explained away as an unreliable narrator, but there's a fine line between making a character think highly of himself and having that character come off as a complete Mary Sue. I say Mary Sue because Kvothe seems to share a lot of traits with you. You are big on internet feminism, I see blog posts from you backing it up, which is fine. But the way Kvothe treats women in the book reeks of a special brand of white knight that comes off as completely irritating.

Not a single woman in your book is 'bad'. In any way. Every woman is beautiful, they're all charmed by quiet types, and they all hate the arrogant rich boy down the street characters. The only one that is has her 'badness' explained away as being racist towards the Edema Ruh.

And speaking of the Edema Ruh, why is it that they're perfect as well? An entire group of people are incapable of robbing or looting caravans? I think there would be a reason that people in Kvothe's world would harbor at least a little hate towards the Edema Ruh, yet it's constantly thrown in the readers face that Kvothe's people are perfect and nice in every way.

Kvothe is a perfect kid in every way and everyone who stands against them share two traits: they're rich and they're unreasonable assholes. That's it. There's no character development at all. Your books feel like an angry youth in high school writing about how all the popular guys are assholes and all the girls want to gently caress him.

In addition, what the hell is with that Florian scene? You stretched your second book into an uncomfortable silence where the reader isn't sure if what they're looking at is normal or a rambling fantasy of a sex-starved teenager. An entire race of people who walk around naked and have sex multiple times with Kvothe after inexplicably becoming the only outsider ever to be trained in the art of swordsmanship with them? Come on.

I didn't enjoy your books. Is there any way you can explain some of the complaints I have?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I can answer both those questions above I think:

Patrick Rothfuss is a huge weirdo and not a good writer at all

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

"Angry kid in High School" so Rothfuss is basically writing his teenage escapist fantasy and hoping to make millions off of it like Stephanie Meyer did with Twilight?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

"Angry kid in High School" so Rothfuss is basically writing his teenage escapist fantasy and hoping to make millions off of it like Stephanie Meyer did with Twilight?

Past tense. Made millions off it. Or at least a substantial amount of money.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

the JJ posted:

Huh. One of my students was really looking forward to seeing that band, had backstage passes and everything. Then she got a case of 'telling us about her suicidal thoughts' and everyone flipped and took away all her nice things* and made her leave**.

And I'm like... yay we got a troubled teen to talk about their problems with adults who could help and we promptly made her miserable and separated her from all the things that kept her together.

But now I am amused because everyone was all :supaburn: "she's really into metal" and it turns out to just incredibly nerdy.

*Because metal=bad.
**Because liability.

the best ever death metal band out of denton
were a couple of guys, who'd been friends since grade school.
one was named cyrus, and the other was jeff.
and they practiced twice a week in jeff's bedroom.

never settled on a name.
but the top three contenders, after weeks of debate,
were satan's fingers, and the killers, and the hospital bombers.

jeff and cyrus believed in their hearts they were headed
for stage lights and leer jets, and fortune and fame.
so in script that made prominent use of a pentagram,
they stenciled their drumheads and guitars with their names.

this was how cyrus got sent to the school
where they told him he'd never be famous.
and this was why jeff,
in the letters he'd write to his friend,
helped develop a plan to get even.
when you punish a person for dreaming his dream,
don't expect him to thank or forgive you.
will in time both outpace and outlive you.
hail satan!
hail satan tonight!
hail satan!
hail hail!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

dear patrick rothfuss,

many stand-up comedians believe that if you have not performed stand-up comedy lately, you are no longer a stand-up comedian as it is a skill that requires constant practice to maintain

do you still consider yourself a writer?

signed, cams

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

cams posted:

dear patrick rothfuss,

many stand-up comedians believe that if you have not performed stand-up comedy lately, you are no longer a stand-up comedian as it is a skill that requires constant practice to maintain

do you still consider yourself a writer?

signed, cams

He released a book last year, though.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Ornamented Death posted:

He released a book last year, though.

NOTE: I've spent the last five minutes thinking about this post, and the kind of posts you usually make on a forum like something awful. And this isn't like most of them. But thats ok. This is a post just for the people who like this sort of post. But if you don't like this post? Well this post isn't for you, and thats ok.

The book he released was poo poo.

But don't comment on this post. Thats what the note was for. There is no need for discussion here, thank you.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

This is a thing I guess: http://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/38pdo9/im_patrick_rothfuss_word_doer_charity_maker_and/

Rothfuss is doing an AMA. And he asks himself when his next book is coming out. He is literally white knighting himself in the responses then.

This is the most Rothfuss thing ever.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Even if you ignore that novela it has only been 4 years since WMF. Plenty of authors take more time between books!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Srice posted:

Even if you ignore that novela it has only been 4 years since WMF. Plenty of authors take more time between books!

Besides the novella, he's also put out at least one short story (I feel like there have been two but am too lazy to confirm).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Srice posted:

At least one, anyway.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Trying to interpose facts between people and their dumb irrational hatred is a losing proposition.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

god bless writers that treat their craft as a profession, unlike the bearded messire rothfuss

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Blue Raider posted:

god bless writers that treat their craft as a profession, unlike the bearded messire rothfuss

The dude has enough money to not need to.

He does a charity fundraiser every year (or more often than that) and has two kids so hes obviously pretty busy in his personal life.

But when he said he had the whole thing written, or mapped out or whatever he was being deliberately misleading. I'm not bothered by that, but I can see why some people would be.

Wittgen posted:

Trying to interpose facts between people and their dumb irrational hatred is a losing proposition.

Theres nothing irrational about people who talk poo poo about Rothfuss/GRRMs/Whoevers writing speed. They enjoy authors work, author is taking a long time thus no work for them to enjoy.

And so long as you're not talking this poo poo directly to the author in question theres nothing harmful about it either.

Personally I don't care that its looking like 5 years or more between book 2 and 3. Whenever I imagine book 3 I think it will have probably 10% cool stuff, maybe an explanation for the mysterious poo poo thats gone down in the present of the novel and 90% D&D adventure quests, petty feuds between Kvothe and Ambrose and hey maybe sex barbarians/vikings to go with the fairies and ninjas.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

MrFlibble posted:

Theres nothing irrational about people who talk poo poo about Rothfuss/GRRMs/Whoevers writing speed. They enjoy authors work, author is taking a long time thus no work for them to enjoy.

Well, it is irrational. Writing takes time. Complaining won't make it take faster. Wanting more story of a story you enjoy and being frustrated at how it's not out yet is, however, reasonable. It's reasonable to be irritated that he was incredibly over optimistic about when the next books would come out. It's reasonable to think the books have problems. It's reasonable not to like them.

But that's not what the negativity in this thread looks like. It's not people being reasonable. It's people saying that Rothfuss doesn't write at all, or that he's not serious about writing. It's people shaking their head at how crazy Rothfuss is for being a little weird on reddit about a (stupid) question he's been asked dozens of times a day every day for years. It's people saying that Slow Regard is literally the worst book ever written. It's people who say Rothfuss's blog proves incontrovertibly that he is a terrible human being. (90% of his blog is either gushing about his children or raising children to build agricultural infrastructure in poor areas.) This is the dumb, irrational hate I'm talking about.

I don't get the people who are crazy about Rothfuss one way or the other. I enjoy his work, but I don't get how he can be people's favorite author. I really don't get how people can have a seething hatred for him.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Wittgen posted:

It's people saying that Slow Regard is literally the worst book ever written.

I can't argue anything else in your post unless you provide quotes but this stood out to me because I am certain that Slow regard isn't the worst book ever written. I am not saying it is the worst thing ever written. But I am going to be clear:

Wise mans fear had serious problems that interfered with my enjoying the story as a whole but was recognizable as part of a story. Slow regard was poo poo. There is a difference between these opinions and there is a difference between poo poo and worst thing ever written.

But it was poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He should just write short stories about Rast.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MrFlibble posted:

NOTE: I've spent the last five minutes thinking about this post, and the kind of posts you usually make on a forum like something awful. And this isn't like most of them. But thats ok. This is a post just for the people who like this sort of post. But if you don't like this post? Well this post isn't for you, and thats ok.

The book he released was poo poo.

But don't comment on this post. Thats what the note was for. There is no need for discussion here, thank you.

Srice posted:

Between their last book and death, sure.

MrFlibble posted:

But when he said he had the whole thing written, or mapped out or whatever he was being deliberately misleading.
I think at this point it's clear Rothfuss was well beyond "being deliberately misleading" and firmly into "loving lying."

MrFlibble posted:

Personally I don't care that its looking like 5 years or more between book 2 and 3. Whenever I imagine book 3 I think it will have probably 10% cool stuff, maybe an explanation for the mysterious poo poo thats gone down in the present of the novel and 90% D&D adventure quests, petty feuds between Kvothe and Ambrose and hey maybe sex barbarians/vikings to go with the fairies and ninjas.
At this point, Rothfuss has taken so long after Wise Man's Fear that I am afraid I should be thinking of Day 3 with the same fear I use for "author rejoins their best-selling universe 20 years later."

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
So I guess it's not within the realm of possibility that he's grown in the many years since having written most of the books in college and realize the flaws in them that we've noted throughout and is probably rewriting the vast majority of it as a part of his revision process.

You know, instead of 'loving lying'. Because that just seems much more reasonable.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Rurutia posted:

So I guess it's not within the realm of possibility that he's grown in the many years since having written most of the books in college and realize the flaws in them that we've noted throughout and is probably rewriting the vast majority of it as a part of his revision process.
Nope, not least because we know he doesn't consider the Felurian / Adem sections to be flawed.

Also, hey, let's go back to Rothfuss in his own words:

quote:

April 18, 2007
When Will Book Two Be Out?
I just thought I might as well make a brief, public statement about this as a lot of people have been emailing and asking me about it lately.

*ahem*

The second and third books of the trilogy should be coming out fairly quickly, considering how long they are and the fact that I’m fairly obsessive when it comes to my writing. That means book two should be out about two years from now. Book three will be a year or so after that.

Why so long? / I thought I read somewhere that you already had the second two books written?

The trilogy is already written all the way through to the end, but there is still some editorial work to be done. I want the second one to be at least as good as the first, if not better. That takes time.
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2007/04/when-will-book-two-be-out/

So, in 2007, Rothfuss thought with all his obsession over writing the third book would be out in 2010.

EDIT: If he originally wrote most of the books in college (usually a four year timeline), he's had enough time to rewrite everything in Book 3 from scratch after publishing Book 2. Face it, releasing Book 3 is not in Rothfuss' top priorities as revealed by his actions.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 11, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You know, I'd be perfectly fine with him taking his time to rewrite the entire thing from scratch if it'd mean it gets decent at some point. Alas, chances of that happening are rather low, so let's live in the present and enjoy the Let's Bitch About A Mediocre-To-Bad Writer Thread, long it may last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Ha yeah thats what I was thinking of when writing that.

Thinking of Rothfuss and his note about how this story was different, and Stephen King with his stop reading now at the end of Dark Tower - Has any author included a note in front of a piece of work that wasn't massively insulting?

• Locked thread