Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It's a shame LOTRO is so similar to WoW as to make people not bother since they're already playing WoW, since it does a lot of the basic WoW stuff better than Blizzard, and as a bonus, the writing is merely kind of boring instead of brain-damagingly stupid.

I think i'd rather laugh at amazingly stupid writing instead of it being boring. Still LOTRO was pretty good for an MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

It has a coherent, well written story, which Earthbound really didn't, in lieu of having a bunch of poo poo lying around riffing on Dragon Quest games. Earthbound told the same story more or less, but was less structured about it. I don't think either one is superior to be honest. And I'm not sure how you can use the lack of reference to its genre contemporaries as a negative when those don't exist for Earthbound either. Nobody playing either game in 2015 is going to be operating in the same context that Earthbound was when it was released. You're using 1995 standards of artistic relevance for Earthbound and 2015 ones for Mother 3

also as for the inappropriate vs cool creepy, you're aware Earthbound is the game where the final boss fight is you going back in time to abort the fetus of an evil alien god-monster, right? i'm not sure what definition of inappropriate, weird, creepy or bad that wouldn't fall under

:words:

is it really coherent and well written, though? leder's thing turns it into your fairly typical end of the world arc story, the apocalypse long forgotten, yadda yadda, and the explanation of the game only makes sense because it would make sense in just about any video game with a limited number of NPCs. some of the punch of the loss is a little weaker when it's distributed throughout the game from chapter 1. i'm not holding either game to 2015 standards; i'm holding mother 3 to 2006 standards, where it built a 1996 game with tight mechanics.

the "you're aborting a fetus" thing for giygas has always been so simplistic and goddamn boring. he's a freakish, body-horror thing with your own face (it's not a reflection of your face, because ness is a robot) that cries out like a child. it doesn't have to have one simple explanation. it's at the end of a mostly goofy game that suckered you into thinking things were going to be okay, and then it only is because you literally pray for everything to be alright. that's the right kind of creepy. having the way that Lucas gets his psychic powers be blacking out the view when he's in a sauna with one of the magypsies and cutting to dialogue that says "Don't struggle" is the wrong kind of creepy. I'm sure once i get to the porky stuff, I'll like that part of it.

Again, I think it's a good game; the mechanics are very tight and the boss fights are challenging but never impossible if you know what you're doing. but the development delays really hurt it. It feels like it's from an earlier era. and EB feels like a gag on all JRPGs that were around at the time, but M3 feels more like a gag on Earthbound specifically, and almost requires that you've played that game to appreciate it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

It's a shame LOTRO is so similar to WoW as to make people not bother since they're already playing WoW, since it does a lot of the basic WoW stuff better than Blizzard, and as a bonus, the writing is merely kind of boring instead of brain-damagingly stupid.

I use to like LOTRO a lot. I played for the first few expansion packs with goons, and it was a ton of fun. Then the goon clique I played with quit and moved onto other games, and the quality of the content took a massive nose dive with the switch to free to play.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

StashAugustine posted:

i liked the canticle for leibowitz one

yea it was good

but the bun lebowski (or the big lebunski) is really good. i assume that is what it is going for.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

basically, apparently DDO and that lovely lord of the rings mmo turned into money printing machines when they went f2p and immediately quadrupled their monthly returns

convincing your true believers to give you a thousand dollars a month is the new monthly fee

the best thing about saying that is you can find people who are bad with money because they won't believe it

average person fallacys own

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah the difference in tone actually makes sense in those games too imo, FF12 is the mythical Atlantean past of FFT alluded to by things like the airship graveyard and that one forest that talks about how moogles are extinct, while Vagrant Story is the future after FFT where the world is undergoing its equivalent of the Renaissance and religion and magic are on the wane; I think Vagrant Story is only a few hundred years in the future though, there are items in the game that belonged to Agrias and are made of Orlandu's bones that are described as sacred relics

They're also all three pretty good games, and they do have some content similarities (they all have plots that involve a lot of power plays and political machination for ex)

This is probably a big part of why FF12 is one of my three favorite FFs. That, and the International version is super fun to play. The vanilla version is also pretty enjoyable, I thought, but it had a lot more bullshit regarding things like locking you out of certain Gambits until you progress the story, offensive magic being useless, etc. FF12 International, surprisingly enough, is one of the only times I can think of where both magic and physical attacks are really good at endgame in a Final Fantasy game. They almost never nail that balance.

You're correct on the timeline, too. FF12 is the big, mythical past alluded to throughout FFT, and Vagrant Story is a couple hundred years after FFT.

Bicyclops posted:

I'm finally playing mother 3 through for the first time and i just got to Leder's big exposition dump. okay, I guess. :shrug:

I think overall, it's a good game, but not as good as Earthbound for a lot of reasons. Like, the kind of game that the series is riffing on sort of didn't exist anymore when they made it, they tried to be hugely emotional right out of the bag, a lot of it is inappropriate creepy rather than weird and cool creepy. I dunno. It's still a really good game in my opinion and i am glad I played it. I like getting the 16 hit combos. I shouldn't have waited so long so i would have appropriate expectations.

The ending lands it with Mother 3. I think it's less sharp in its satire and genre screwery than Earthbound--it's much more straight magic realism than genre satire--but the last couple of hours are just as striking as Earthbound's. Less horror, though, and more gut punch.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Harrow posted:

That, and the International version is super fun to play. The vanilla version is also pretty enjoyable, I thought, but it had a lot more bullshit regarding things like locking you out of certain Gambits until you progress the story, offensive magic being useless, etc. FF12 International, surprisingly enough, is one of the only times I can think of where both magic and physical attacks are really good at endgame in a Final Fantasy game. They almost never nail that balance.

The Zodiac Job System fixed two things that I had a huge problem with in that game. The dumb licence board causing all character to mesh into each other and the speed.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
reminder that shigesato itoi said that porky will still be alive after the heat death of the universe

he got the worst fate of all

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Excels posted:

reminder that shigesato itoi said that porky will still be alive after the heat death of the universe

he got the worst fate of all

How did he get that capsule anyway?

Or was that the same thing as he had at the end of Earthbound that I guess he bought with all his Monotoli money?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I still have like two hours left to play in the game, for reference to future conversation itt :shobon:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

you guys should be playing Eric the Unready, this game rules

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm still waiting for Nintendo to release a BEST OF NES/SNES compilation because they made NES Remix and later gave it a physical copy. E-shop prices for many of the older games are insanely high for what they are. But like a 30 dollar compilation of all old NES or SNES games would not be bad considering there is jack squat coming out for the Wii-U.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

gay skull posted:

How did he get that capsule anyway?

Or was that the same thing as he had at the end of Earthbound that I guess he bought with all his Monotoli money?

he forced jeff's dad to make it with science. he just never told porky that once you get in, there's absolutely no way to get out, and it's completely impenetrable. so he'll be floating in non-space long after the universe dies

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pokey's only crimes were wanting a friend and not liking PUSSY. T-O-O BAD!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I think that, regardless of your thoughts on the plot, Mother 3 is an inferior game next to Earthbound. Most of the game you don't have a full party (for more than half of it you're going solo or have a single useless party member like the dog) so you don't really get a chance to use special abilities or strategize, the prologue is several hours long and an absolute slog and even when the world opens up halfway through the game it's still completely linear compared to Earthbound, and when you finally have a full party most boss battles are just a tedious juggling of buffs and debuffs.

In terms of being a sequel to Earthbound it's almost as loose as Chrono Cross is to Chrono Trigger. It completely ditches the modern setting and the satirical elements of American culture and the only actual plot connections are one big exposition dump at the very end and the final boss.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think the buff/debuff thing for bosses actually works in its favor, tbh, because in most of those kinds of games, it's "perform basic buff on fighter, ram attack button over and over, heal when HP go below [certain point]," so at least it adds a dimension to track (the rolling HP thing and fairly predictable turn order also helps). the "Play the solo part with very little strategy four different times" is annoying though, particularly in a game as focused on inventory management as M3. it's better in Mother 3 than it is in Dragon Quest 4, which is the other game to do that, because there are at least things you can do with Thief tools that make the longer chapter a bit better, and it's kind of fun to revisit the scenes from other perspectives. But yeah. still.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I think that, regardless of your thoughts on the plot, Mother 3 is an inferior game next to Earthbound. Most of the game you don't have a full party (for more than half of it you're going solo or have a single useless party member like the dog) so you don't really get a chance to use special abilities or strategize, the prologue is several hours long and an absolute slog and even when the world opens up halfway through the game it's still completely linear compared to Earthbound, and when you finally have a full party most boss battles are just a tedious juggling of buffs and debuffs.

In terms of being a sequel to Earthbound it's almost as loose as Chrono Cross is to Chrono Trigger. It completely ditches the modern setting and the satirical elements of American culture and the only actual plot connections are one big exposition dump at the very end and the final boss.

Yeah, I'll agree that the beginning, and the game's reluctance to give you a full party for a really long time, are marks against Mother 3. Earthbound is almost certainly a better game taken as a whole.

I like Mother 3's gameplay a lot better, though, because, for whatever reason, I like juggling buffs and debuffs. I mean, I like it to be less about duration and more about stacking or using the right ones--more SMT, less Persona--but I still prefer it to "just attack and heal."

Story-wise, well, Mother 3 isn't a satire like Earthbound is. It's magic realism, and it's also really quite sincere. It took the heartfelt side of Earthbound, the gentle humor, and ran with that, for better or for worse. Whether you like its atmosphere, story, and humor more or less than Earthbound's is almost entirely a matter of personal taste. The ending just steps on the gas with it, too, and even if the plot, on paper, could come across as cheap or even maudlin, Mother 3 pulls that poo poo off.

As for me, I think I still have to give the crown to Earthbound, if only because it's just so gleefully weird and fun and manages to have some sincerity in there on top of it all. I love Mother 3, too, though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Harrow posted:

I like Mother 3's gameplay a lot better, though, because, for whatever reason, I like juggling buffs and debuffs. I mean, I like it to be less about duration and more about stacking or using the right ones--more SMT, less Persona--but I still prefer it to "just attack and heal."

yeah, I agree with this. Like, other games that are very similar to Mother 3 give you all the buffs and debuffs, but 90 percent of the time, you ignore almost all of them except for the "doubles attack" one for the heavy fighter, so juggling that stuff is actually kind of fun, particularly in mother 3, where the effect of buffing becomes more or less worth it depending on how good you are at pulling off combos and tracking the HP slide-down. There's a lot of timing involved, and it feels like you have to think about your choices every round, (and hope you can put your money where your mouth is by actually getting a few combos) instead of the simple subtract-and-add of attack-and-heal based on DQ initiative.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
The only thing I didn't like about Earthbound's battle system was that using Jeff properly made the game a breeze because bottle rockets were too strong and trivialized the hell out of boss fights. Otherwise a lot of the early fights being struggles to survive could be very interesting and later in the game it was easy for someone to get hit with a debilitating status effect that made you have to think carefully (but also quickly if someone took a fatal blow and needed healing asap). I liked that dynamic.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Earthbound's battle system is crazy broke, Ness is OP, everybody on both sides does so much damage that like Paula in particular and any person when you first recruit them will just drop dead randomly all the time during bosses and miss tons of XP making them even weaker than Ness by comparison, bottle rockets basically oneshot bosses like you said, and the rolling HP meter everybody loves doesn't do dick until the last third of the game when watching it roll up and down constantly is vital to your survival

Despite all that I still think I like it better than Mother 3, but both of them are good games imo, even though it shows that they were directed by a writer and not an experienced game designer (in fact this is probably why they're not soulless and thematically uninteresting like 95% of games)

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 6, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I have two copies of Earthbound and I have beaten neither.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I do think they are both very good games. playing mother 3 makes me want to finish it so I can get to EB, though. How tedious is the grinding in Earthbound Zero on a scale of Not at All Tedious to Dragon Quest 2?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bicyclops posted:

I do think they are both very good games. playing mother 3 makes me want to finish it so I can get to EB, though. How tedious is the grinding in Earthbound Zero on a scale of Not at All Tedious to Dragon Quest 2?

the latter

also the rest of the game is essentially the same as earthbound, there's no reason to play it

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Even with all the patches that reduce the ridiculous encounter rate you still have to deal with some of the most tedious bullshit maze dungeons ever made.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i can't believe you guys are talking about patches for Mother games.

pussies

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I finished it. now I wish that Lucas had been in the new Smash, so that I could make him just cry the entire match by turning the items to all franklin badges and taunting him with his dark memories.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So it looks like any and all good wii-u games for 2015 are going to finally start hitting in Spetember.

loooooooooooooooooooooooong rear end wait since there is nothing to play on the Wii-U until Zelda and Xenoblade.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Anyone else playing White Night? It's nice to play a survival horror game with good fixed camera angles these days.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
QTEs need to die a horrible loving death in gaming, literally ruined so many potentially good games over the last few years.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

CyberPingu posted:

QTEs need to die a horrible loving death in gaming, literally ruined so many potentially good games over the last few years.

QTEs have existed since the 1980's

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Im aware of that, but we have seen a massive surge of them recently that needs to stop

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

The Taint Reaper posted:

they have been awful the whole time

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Me: Uh, we should stop people from doing murders on children.

The Taint Reaper: Child murder has existed since at least the 1960s, so it's okay.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Asura's Wrath is a great game so you're wrong.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jecht, to players who don't like QTEs: You can't do it, kid! You're such a crybaby!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

(i don't like them either)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Only Platinum Games should be allowed to use QTEs, they're literally the only time I've seen them used to do things which wouldn't be better done as an automatic animation or an actual gameplay sequence

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Far Cry 4 dropped the cutscene QTEs from FC3 and it's one of the myriad little improvements that make it a great game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Only Platinum Games should be allowed to use QTEs, they're literally the only time I've seen them used to do things which wouldn't be better done as an automatic animation or an actual gameplay sequence
Telltale also did some neat things with them in TWD Season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
just press the correct button at the right time guys how tough is it? *barely writes coherent posts*

• Locked thread