Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Norton posted:

Cevo is really easy to get into a game and it is free. I've been using it instead of match making recently. give it a try.

Sounds good.

As far as using ESEA to improve, I'm not having trouble improving. I play a few hours a week and I'm pretty happy with the rate at which I'm getting better. It's that the private ladder experience sounds better and more serious than MM(server quality as well as players) so it might be something I would enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

How good is ESEA for someone who really appreciates the ability to look at the clock and say, "Hm, I have 90 minutes, how about some Counter-strike?" and get in a game immediately? I usually play between 7-10PM Pacific, but I don't have a ton of time to do so and would strongly consider signing up as long as it's fast and easy to get in a game.

You get into a game just as fast as mm.

Could try cevo too like Norton said, but I'm not sure about their server quality.. Their match servers last season were fuckin unreal with literal 30 second hangs and what felt like simulated low fps(super fuckin choppy for everyone in server, normal pings and fps efc).

Maybe they are better now but the last anecdote I heard didn't sound promising.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

You get into a game just as fast as mm.

Could try cevo too like Norton said, but I'm not sure about their server quality.. Their match servers last season were fuckin unreal with literal 30 second hangs and what felt like simulated low fps(super fuckin choppy for everyone in server, normal pings and fps efc).

Maybe they are better now but the last anecdote I heard didn't sound promising.

Only played about 5-6 games but so far its way better than match making with no weird lag. You can pick your server location as well which is nice.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
In non-gameplay related chat, I'm a sad idiot. hosed up the alpha channel on the UMP-45 skin I was making, so now I have to re-do all the wear patterns. :eng99:

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Cevo servers weren't working because of the recent update so we figured we'd try MM again in the mean time. Immediately queued against a spinbotting wallhacker named "im a human being". Welp

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL
sounds like good ol' classic cs

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
No gameplay changes in todays update (as expected so close to a major) but we did get some neat/useful UI changes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Thorgot posted:

No gameplay changes in todays update (as expected so close to a major) but we did get some neat/useful UI changes.

What am I supposed to be seeing in the second picture?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Kazinsal posted:

In non-gameplay related chat, I'm a sad idiot. hosed up the alpha channel on the UMP-45 skin I was making, so now I have to re-do all the wear patterns. :eng99:

Do you have any good tutorials for skinning or, more critically, good bases to paint over? I'm trying to work with the wireframed textures from the Workshop website but they're kinda lovely and I can't seem to Magic Wand them to isolate parts without selecting the entire loving thing

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Crain posted:

It shows who won each round and how on the scoreboard.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
OOOoooooh. cool.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Thorgot posted:

It shows who won each round and how on the scoreboard.

And if you mouse over, it shows more info as well. Pretty cool

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Mirage2 greybox is on the workshop.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Norton posted:

Cevo servers weren't working because of the recent update so we figured we'd try MM again in the mean time. Immediately queued against a spinbotting wallhacker named "im a human being". Welp

ah a classic case of the "git gud"s, you hate to see it

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Crain posted:

cause for round win

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm not sure if it's just me, and I'm a terrible Silver 3 so take this with a heap of salt, but I find that competitive is way better for learning how guns work than DM. DM is bad and not fun, which is bad enough, but it also undermines all your normal aiming instincts because enemies are positioned in all kinds of weird ways that don't happen in real games. Plus half the time you just get a free kill on a guy who isn't looking at you or just spawned, not very productive for practicing aiming.

Enjoy Silver 2. I liked it. Also it's a lot better than Silver 1, which is where I started.

DM is okay for practicing recoil control. When I play DM I will focus on learning a spray pattern. If you're still at the stage where you're not really controlling recoil and just bursting at ranges that aren't point blank, DM just encourages bad habits.

Personally though, I find Retakes to be the best game mode for improving. You get to work with the weapons that you'll be using most of the time without worrying too much about economy (I.E. if you want to practice with the AWP, you don't have to worry about crippling your team by blowing 5k on a rifle and handing it straight to the enemies). It also teaches you the bombsites, and even though the enemies will be coming from more angles, you'll still find good ways to lock down firing alleys. It's also almost as fast paced as DM. Even if you get instantly fragged, you won't be waiting more than 35-45 seconds for the next round.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

The Blue Caboose posted:

DM is okay for practicing recoil control. When I play DM I will focus on learning a spray pattern. If you're still at the stage where you're not really controlling recoil and just bursting at ranges that aren't point blank, DM just encourages bad habits.

I generally like to get my mouse-hand warmed up with at least 3 full games of DM, each focusing on the M4, AK, and AWP respectively. If I have the time I will try to add in a 4th game just for my USP/deagle since those tend to be the pistols I use the most and can't hit poo poo with them unless I get the feel for them that day (let's face it, the glock is a hs machine no matter how you use it).

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 6, 2015

Waltchelg
Jan 21, 2009

I also like to do vocal warmups for a good 30 minutes after my daily dm session as well. You have to have a warm voice for powerful callouts.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

If only they would let you rattle and weigh the case!

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Waltchelg posted:

I also like to do vocal warmups for a good 30 minutes after my daily dm session as well. You have to have a warm voice for powerful callouts.

There really needs to be a perfect pitch and tone when warbling out "who the gently caress is watching cat?! Four assholes just raped me from behind!... I suck? No, you suck, you loving scrub! Oh yeah? Go gently caress your mother, you god drat nerd."

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Ease yourself into the game each day by starting with a gentle, low sensitivity. As you warm up, gradually increase the sensitivity.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

kcer posted:

Ease yourself into the game each day by starting with a gentle, low sensitivity. As you warm up, gradually increase the sensitivity.

If you don't have 1 inch 360s after 3 hours of warmup you should just give up because you will never be good.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

kcer posted:

The bob ross of cs:go

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
irony is hilarious

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

someone make another thread for you guys to smurf post in so you don't ruin your posting rank ITT

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I remember when I was a little kid and I played babby's first FPS, some tutorial I read said to increase your sensitivity over time. As a young chyld, I had something that was probably around 400/20.0 sensitivity. It was insane but I sure could look around really fast

Now it's impossible for me to go super low. I've done 2.0 to 2.5 but it's just feels awful. I end up using about 3.6, which is what f0rest uses by chance, except that guy is good and I am terrible. I'd like to be one of those people using the floor as a mousepad because no desk is big enough but I cannot

Also, I guess I was used to Quake and in Quake 20-40 cm/360 with optional acceleration is the norm

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Had a reaction kill yesterday that I'm pretty happy with :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCVrqqKL0sg

Sorry about the horrible editing and all

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

Had a reaction kill yesterday that I'm pretty happy with :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCVrqqKL0sg

Sorry about the horrible editing and all

jesus christ..

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
ha ha ha

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Does anyone have a list of how 'accurate range' translates into actual in-game measurement? I need to know if I'm shooting way outside effective distance or I'm just cursed with getting headshots (or rather, not).

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Katana Gomai posted:

someone make another thread for you guys to smurf post in so you don't ruin your posting rank ITT

Someone is bitter.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Alabaster White posted:

Does anyone have a list of how 'accurate range' translates into actual in-game measurement? I need to know if I'm shooting way outside effective distance or I'm just cursed with getting headshots (or rather, not).

First bullet accuracy without movement is very high for all rifles excepting the FAMAS and to a lesser extent the Galil, even at long distance. You only get slight variation at extreme distance that's not even possible on some maps. Pistols are only moderately less accurate than rifles. Chances are you're not shooting out of effective distance, unless you're using a Sawn Off or an SMG.

Interesting facts my search brought me:

- Scoped crouching AUG is the most accurate gun in the game, more so than the AWP.

- Mac10 is the most accurate gun on a ladder, significantly.

- Unsilenced M4A1 is inferior or equal in all respects to silenced M4, except for running inaccuracy which is the best of all rifles by a large margin

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Man, speaking of the AUG, I just love it and the SG-553. It's probably years of battlefield, but I'm so much more comfortable taking shots after ADSing rather than from the hip.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Casual should be a 7v7 at most with income adjusted to avoid no more than a single eco round but not the current spam of players all with top tier weapons and armor every round. A raised player count makes players less responsible for the success of their team and a smaller cash difference teams keeps the economy even.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 6, 2015

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I like the sg for the real easy headshots. Like if you can predict what angle they are going to be in its such an easier peek than a squinting ak peek

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
If people want to practice something more like competitive without getting into matchmaking, there appears to be plenty of competitive community servers. I've just played on a couple and while I guess it may be absurd outliers, both had nice and helpful people in them, which was a nice change of pace when compared to MM.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I like 15 vs 15 when I pub. Don't know why. Maybe because it helps inflate my stats.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
According to some guy on reddit some of the cheat providers released free demo versions of their cheats in the last few weeks. That explains a lot.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/2y4hpo/time_for_some_community_action_overwatch_bomb/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

bpower posted:

According to some guy on reddit some of the cheat providers released free demo versions of their cheats in the last few weeks. That explains a lot.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/2y4hpo/time_for_some_community_action_overwatch_bomb/

Downloading now thanks

• Locked thread