Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The main venusian government seem to have made an agreement with aida and the megafauna though, which is why they had those dudes with them. All the rest stayed back at home though, so they aren't really a factor now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

There's a lot but most of them share their own factional design aesthetics. The megafauna is a real hodgepodge but the Amerians only have the Montero/Grimoire/Jahannam/Hecate and the Capital army use the Mack Knifes and Wuxias. The Dorette fleet is only fielding the Moran and El-Morans now.

The only one of these I can picture is the Mack Knife. It's a pretty cool suit. The others are just names.

Sharkopath posted:

Also the only venusians still in the picture right now are the GIT team, who are allying with the Capital Army.

Weren't Mr. Go-Into-The-Light and his friends Venusian?

e:

Sharkopath posted:

The main venusian government seem to have made an agreement with aida and the megafauna though, which is why they had those dudes with them. All the rest stayed back at home though, so they aren't really a factor now.

Apparently so. You post a lot.

Part of the problem I'm having is that they never say things. "Show, don't tell" is great, but it leads to situations like this, where the show just suddenly has Venusians fighting next to our friends. And then with our other friends. No mention of the fact that apparently more than just the Megafauna came back from Venus. Heck, there was barely mention of that.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 6, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If you don't remember the Grimoire there is no more hope for you, make your peace.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So I'm not following this show at all anymore, but apparently Tomino's voicing someone in the last episode

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

If you don't remember the Grimoire there is no more hope for you, make your peace.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

Going by GIS, I guess it's a pretty cool little suit, but it doesn't look particularly distinctive that's not the right word, but I can't think of one word for "it doesn't do much for me".

TheKingofSprings posted:

So I'm not following this show at all anymore, but apparently Tomino's voicing someone in the last episode

It's himself. He will come from Jupiter and wipe everyone out.

"NO. BAD. NO WAR."

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 6, 2015

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Sharkopath posted:

I was going to post the same thing, but made a pit stop to find a totally sweet picture to go with it:

Aw yeah.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Part of the problem I'm having is that they never say things. "Show, don't tell" is great, but it leads to situations like this, where the show just suddenly has Venusians fighting next to our friends. And then with our other friends. No mention of the fact that apparently more than just the Megafauna came back from Venus. Heck, there was barely mention of that.

Aida met with La Gu privately last episode and came to some agreement, so some of their men ended up on the megafauna, in the hope that by showing his own people what the scale of the war surrounding earth was growing into he would be more willing to believe her side of the discussion. It's explicitly stated in this episode.

The GIT team is the only other group that left venus and the Megafauna followed it, it happened last episode and was also explicitly stated.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I definitely don't remember these things being said. The pacing in this show is breakneck.

Part of the fault is my own, though, certainly, as I've largely decided to just kind of go with it all since it doesn't necessarily make the most sense; this is, unfortunately, a vicious cycle, as I don't pay as much attention as I might.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I definitely don't remember these things being said. The pacing in this show is breakneck.

Part of the fault is my own, though, certainly, as I've largely decided to just kind of go with it all since it doesn't necessarily make the most sense; this is, unfortunately, a vicious cycle, as I don't pay as much attention as I might.

Yah that's fair, I felt myself slipping for one scene where they were just dropping names for a bit, in the bit with Aida's dad, but I still understood what was going on. All that stuff definitely happened though and they state it flatout in the dialogue. Its a show that wants you to pay attention, so the preview videos asking you to is pretty funny I guess.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Sharkopath posted:

Gyobu got too excited because the Mack Knife kit starts shipping tomorrow that he designed a new Mack Knife, Covert Forces Edition.

With shield booster!

What other projects has this guy worked on? Can't say I'm fully on board with the aesthetic but his imagination is admirable and his technical chops are loving amazing.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bimmi posted:

What other projects has this guy worked on? Can't say I'm fully on board with the aesthetic but his imagination is admirable and his technical chops are loving amazing.

He seems to be completely new.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Bellri broke down because he just had his Newtype awakening and personally experienced Rockpie's death. Given where the show's headed (the last time Tomino appeared in one of his own shows was fuckin' Ideon), the poor bastard's going to be catatonic in a couple of episodes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What a bunch of GITS and Morans.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's not an unreasonable way to react, but it seems odd and overwrought coming from episode 23 Bellri. They made such a big deal about how all these schmucks didn't know how awful war was, and then Bell goes and reacts like it's his first rodeo. Also, what the hell was with the gibbering fools "going toward the light?" That was really weird.

The Venus guys are cops, and largely ceremonial ones. A big serious battle with particle beams everywhere is something utterly alien to them.

Also, I think I've managed to break down all the factions properly;
  • Venus Globe
    • Venus Goverment - Backing the Megafauna with new toys and the Venus Police Mechs.
    • The G-IT Lab - Trying badly to kick off the Recongusita of Earth and backing the Capital Army. Pretty much see any Earthnoids as mindless savages.
  • Towasanga
    • Dorette Fleet - Also trying to kick off their own Reconguista of Earth, and now starting to get their poo poo pushed in because they no longer have the fanciest toys.
    • Towasanga Civilians/Rebels - Some of them were backing Aida and Bellri, turns out some of them were G-IT spies. Whoops.
  • Earth
    • The Megafauna - Gone to see the elephant where Photon Batteries come from and to end the monopoly to improve life for everyone.
    • The Capital Guard - Pretty much stuck nodding and doing whatever the Capital Army says at this point.
    • The Capital Army - Grandstanding amateurs, save for a few pilots like Mask's Team, and largely at the whims of whatever Cumpa's endgame is. Out to get better toys from Towasanga for themselves.
    • The Amerian Army - Klim Nick's command. Out to take Sankt Porto/Towasanga for themselves to take the Photon Battery monopoly and end the war that way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ideon ending incoming :unsmigghh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What a bunch of GITS and Morans.

The Venus guys are cops, and largely ceremonial ones. A big serious battle with particle beams everywhere is something utterly alien to them.

Also, I think I've managed to break down all the factions properly;
  • Venus Globe
    • Venus Goverment - Backing the Megafauna with new toys and the Venus Police Mechs.
    • The G-IT Lab - Trying badly to kick off the Recongusita of Earth and backing the Capital Army. Pretty much see any Earthnoids as mindless savages.
  • Towasanga
    • Dorette Fleet - Also trying to kick off their own Reconguista of Earth, and now starting to get their poo poo pushed in because they no longer have the fanciest toys.
    • Towasanga Civilians/Rebels - Some of them were backing Aida and Bellri, turns out some of them were G-IT spies. Whoops.
  • Earth
    • The Megafauna - Gone to see the elephant where Photon Batteries come from and to end the monopoly to improve life for everyone.
    • The Capital Guard - Pretty much stuck nodding and doing whatever the Capital Army says at this point.
    • The Capital Army - Grandstanding amateurs, save for a few pilots like Mask's Team, and largely at the whims of whatever Cumpa's endgame is. Out to get better toys from Towasanga for themselves.
    • The Amerian Army - Klim Nick's command. Out to take Sankt Porto/Towasanga for themselves to take the Photon Battery monopoly and end the war that way.

The easiest thing to understand is that every single faction except the Megafauna is out to end this with themselves on top by using other factions as catspaws.

Nobody really is allying but they are working together because doing so eliminates the serious threats in favor of the lesser threats. A really key thing to understand is that almost every single scene with two members of different factions talking peacefully involves them lying to each other blatantly and obviously. The Venus Globe Rosario Ten guys seem to be the exception here as they are, if anything, horrifically honest and naive even compared to the Earthlings.

Also Bellri wasn't just freaking out for straightforward reasons. He pretty clearly just had a major Newtype experience. That is why he was complaining about being cold even despite the fact his suit's heaters were working and was so tremendously freaked out. Considering that Mashner also seemed to sense what happened to Rockpie, it seems like Newtypes are still around but no longer really recognized. We know from (ironically) Rockpie earlier that the term is still known but they seem to associate it with combat monsters.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 6, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

The easiest thing to understand is that every single faction except the Megafauna is out to end this with themselves on top by using other factions as catspaws.

Ah of course, I wondered if I'd missed something. The Venus Globe government as a whole are probably on the up-and-up though, just because they don't want the G-IT kicking off the Reconguista any more than the Megafauna crew.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Poor Becker, he was supposed to be tormented by the white demon right to the last episode, not unceremoniously offed by a cocky shithead in an ugly suit. Rockpie got just what he deserved.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

Also Bellri wasn't just freaking out for straightforward reasons. He pretty clearly just had a major Newtype experience. That is why he was complaining about being cold even despite the fact his suit's heaters were working and was so tremendously freaked out. Considering that Mashner also seemed to sense what happened to Rockpie, it seems like Newtypes are still around but no longer really recognized. We know from (ironically) Rockpie earlier that the term is still known but they seem to associate it with combat monsters.

I thought the same, mostly because otherwise we all know Bellri's reaction to killing someone. "IF YOU HADN'T BEEN THERE YOU WOULDN'T HAVE DIED" or similar. His way of taking lives involves blaming the other party for dying, and for once he didn't do that.

That said, they could've just put a Newtype flash in there so no one would doubt it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

I thought the same, mostly because otherwise we all know Bellri's reaction to killing someone. "IF YOU HADN'T BEEN THERE YOU WOULDN'T HAVE DIED" or similar. His way of taking lives involves blaming the other party for dying, and for once he didn't do that.

That said, they could've just put a Newtype flash in there so no one would doubt it.

It was right in the episode title.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Midjack posted:

It was right in the episode title.

What if this was somebody's first Gundam show? Or if they had only seen like Wing and G and SEED before?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

What if this was somebody's first Gundam show? Or if they had only seen like Wing and G and SEED before?

A good chunk of G-Reco only makes sense in the context of previous Gundam shows. It makes Tomino's "it is for kids" argument pretty laughable but it isn't anything new.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

A good chunk of G-Reco only makes sense in the context of previous Gundam shows. It makes Tomino's "it is for kids" argument pretty laughable but it isn't anything new.

Kids are watching it, but the most surprising demographic is still japanese obasans, who are watching it at a rate like twice as high as everything else.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Finally, merchandise I can actually care about, sweat towels!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's gonna be so depressing when Barara dies next episode. :smith:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's gonna be so depressing when Barara dies next episode. :smith:

I'm betting on Mask pulling her out before the pyramid goes under but I'm not hopeful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I'm betting on Mask pulling her out before the pyramid goes under but I'm not hopeful.

Bellri says that a tragedy occurs in the process of stopping her so it's bad news for someone.

I hope it isn't Manny. :smith:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Bellri says that a tragedy occurs in the process of stopping her so it's bad news for someone.

I hope it isn't Manny. :smith:

The general consensus seems to favor Barara takes out the ship AIda's dad is on, so that's also where I put my money.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

The general consensus seems to favor Barara takes out the ship AIda's dad is on, so that's also where I put my money.

Actually that seems pretty likely too, especially with that shot of him in the preview.

There goes my secret hope of him and Bellri's Mom going on a hilariously awkward date.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Banana and Manni are so dead.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
If Banana gets to take out Gusion and Dorette's fleets with her I think it'd be a fair trade.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Everyone dies, then the Turn-X shows up and is all like :yikes:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Blaze Dragon posted:

It sounds like a version of the flash sound plays when Bellri tells Noredo and Raraiya to stay back while he tries to save the Venus Globe guy.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's me. I'm the one who's only seen Wing, Seed/Destiny, 08th MS Team, the first half of 00, and ∀ (and a few episodes of original & G here and there). It's more Gundam than I'd realized before I typed it out, but I only have a vague idea of Newtypes as somehow more/better than human. Like, maybe they pilot mobile suits better or something?

So I guess Bell's freakout is related to some kind of psychic phenomenon?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Newtypes are space psychics who can sense other people and souls and crap because they're "no longer held back by earth's gravity," or whatever. This makes them crazy pilots to face, since they can sense your killing intent before you get close enough.

As a side effect, they're generally big babies too, unless your name is Judau Ashta.:smug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's me. I'm the one who's only seen Wing, Seed/Destiny, 08th MS Team, the first half of 00, and ∀ (and a few episodes of original & G here and there). It's more Gundam than I'd realized before I typed it out, but I only have a vague idea of Newtypes as somehow more/better than human. Like, maybe they pilot mobile suits better or something?

So I guess Bell's freakout is related to some kind of psychic phenomenon?

Newtypes are empathetic and psychic. In theory this is to allow them to communicate and understand better with one another and is a natural response to humans moving into space.

Part of those psychic abilities are a naturally quick talent for learning and the ability to sense incoming hostile intent (in the form of precognition warning) as well as the ability to control specific weapons with their minds. This latter aspect lead to people turning them into weapons while ignoring the former part.

Newtypes tend to be able to feel people suffering or dying which is probably the cause of Bellri's response this episode. Mashner also seems to be in a similar boat.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
OK, cool, thank you.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Newtypes are your generic 70s sci-fi psychics from the future.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Newtypes are your generic 70s sci-fi psychics from the future.

They'd be cooler if they could make peoples heads explode like in Scanners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

They'd be cooler if they could make peoples heads explode like in Scanners.

• Locked thread