Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I love gold wheels so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

That settles that, then. :dukedog:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What's on the grille?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Bovril Delight posted:

What's on the grille?

Spells of the dragon, I presume... :japan:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

So, master cylinder was a doddle. Compared to dropping an engine or setting timing or balancing carbs. I bench bled the MC by using the reservoir of my hand vacuum pump upside down half full of fluid hooked up to the new MC. Then after that started weeping fluid out of the high side, I pushed it in with a screwdriver and shot fluid across the garage :gizz: Next, I capped the high side and went to the car and went all upside-down head in the driver's footwell and undid the 2 12mm nuts on the MC there (gearwrench, I love you)

Undid the car's tube to the reservoir and put my new MC on it and set it on the shock tower. Then I used a flathead to loosen the thing that holds the hardline to the car to give it some wiggle room. After that, it was a 10mm flare wrench to loosen the car's high side. I pulled the car's MC and then put the new MC in the hole made by the old one and screwed the hard line in and mostly tightened it. After that it was upside down head again in the footwell to tighten up those 12mm nuts. Mazda is so nice. They have this little tang of metal to hold the clutch rod up so it wont flap down onto the back of the pedal. It just sits there on the tang, waiting to be put into the MC. Thanks, mazda. after that, tighten up the 12's, loosen the clutch rod nuts so I can adjust them and then call down the wifey to help bleed the system. After I've tightened the hardline to the MC, of course.

Wifey and I bled the system by her pressing the clutch down all the way and holding it while i loosened the bleeder on the slave, using and 8mm box end wrench. I'd tighten it and the tell her to pull the clutch back up (it's spring assisted down) and then repeat until no more bubbles come out. The PO's hadn't done this for all the gross dark poo poo that came out of the slave. After I'd dialed in the clutch adjustment, it's back to being the best clutch in the business. I love driving this car so much. It's such a GI-GO car. Garbage in, Garbage out.

Anyway. I hope some of you found that useful :--)

So, now my oil filter must have some grit on the seal surface because it's weeping oil off the bottom of the 'can' now... gently caress :ughh:

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Taco Box posted:

I have really lovely discount tire special aftermarket rims on my car and want them gone. I've found an ebay auction for four factory wheels with free shipping for $459 and the seller: LKQ

Anyone bought from them? Aren't they car scrappers? Does that sound like a good deal? I can't find these wheels local pickup in Houston, if I was on either coast it wouldn't be a big deal, but these shits are rare as rocking horse crap here.

I got a set of factory e46 wheels and tires from the LPQ location in Frederick MD. They were straight and the rubber was matching and decent (can't remember what they were), and cost right around $400. Would buy from again.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Cross post from the stupid questions thread. I think this is the fuel filler flap from an MX-5/Miata. Can someone confirm or deny?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Looks like the door for a NB. 1999-2005.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I had to replace the bulbs in the license plate lights on my NB and managed to break both of the plastic housings. New ones came in from Rock Auto but I didn't make note of which ways the arrows need to point and don't want to gently caress the new ones up.

So can someone take a look and tell me if they arrows point inward toward the plate or out toward the wheels? Thanks.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

They face inwards. Just checked my 99.

The centre latch is on the right in the photo. Sorry I couldn't get a better one.

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 2, 2015

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

So I bought a ratty rear end miata. 99 NB with a hard top and high miles. I'm going to convert it to a Spec Miata over the next year and hope to go racing next year.

If there's interest, I'll make a thread of the build process.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Larrymer posted:

So I bought a ratty rear end miata. 99 NB with a hard top and high miles. I'm going to convert it to a Spec Miata over the next year and hope to go racing next year.

I'd follow it.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I would love to see the process of turning a regular Miata into a race car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Larrymer posted:

Don't do Spec Miata, seriously.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'm not doing pte or whatever you will probably suggest. Can always convert later if I hate it but I don't think that will happen.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Have fun with your plunge cuts and never beating the mid pack. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Lemme know where in the mid pack you end up in PTE. :v: You (and everyone else) aren't Emilio. To each their own, Miatadamus.

I don't plan to be a throwing huge money at it and winning national races, I just want to have fun and have plenty of people to race with.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 3, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

What's up with the spec Miata love/hate?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I'm curious myself, Spec Miata is something I'd love to do in a decade or two. Seems like a series where you can only blame your poor driving rather than the guy with more money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GOD IS BED posted:

Seems like a series where you can only blame your poor driving rather than the guy with more money.

You say that, but in a road course series where everyone is bumpdrafting on the longer straightaways, there's still money going into the freshest engines that are all built with the tolerances as far as possible on the beneficial side... if a bore is allowed to be 100mm +/- 0.1mm, they'll be at 100.09 all around.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Look at NASCAR the biggest spec series there is. Those who have the most money/resources can push the envelope further than everybody else so they have the best cars. And cheat the best. Same goes for Spec Miata, if you're racing to compete hope you have some deep pockets. I've never driven in a Spec Miata race but I've been part of a "crew" for a bunch of races. It's real easy to tell the difference between the haves and have nots :v:

That being said, I'd love to have a Spec Miata just to have fun, but even at the most basic level I neither have the time or money to do it :(

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 3, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

Lemme know where in the mid pack you end up in PTE. :v: You (and everyone else) aren't Emilio. To each their own, Miatadamus.

Larrymer posted:

Larrymer posted:

Miatadamus.

Larrymer posted:

MIATADAMUS.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

GOD IS BED posted:

I'm curious myself, Spec Miata is something I'd love to do in a decade or two. Seems like a series where you can only blame your poor driving rather than the guy with more money.

If you're a good driver you could probably go mid pack like that. If you want to do better then yeah, you have to pour money into getting those extra few HP.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sadi posted:

If you're a good driver you could probably go mid pack like that. If you want to do better then yeah, you have to pour money into getting those extra few HP.

I believe the exact same is true for PTE and think it's much easier and cheaper to build a SM so that's why I'm doing it. It's for fun and to improve me as a driver, not to drop 40k on a miata and then get disqualified at nationals. :v:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Larrymer posted:

I believe the exact same is true for PTE and think it's much easier and cheaper to build a SM so that's why I'm doing it. It's for fun and to improve me as a driver, not to drop 40k on a miata and then get disqualified at nationals. :v:

At least in PTE I can lay down decent times instead of spending 12k on a Miata that is slower than the Miatas in the hpde solo group.

That and rampant cheating.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

12k is the norm to build a spec car these days? Jesus, I'd rather just auto/rally cross then.

Racing is so drat expensive :(

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

leica posted:

Racing is so drat expensive :(

There's a reason it's called the Sport of Kings. Only a king can afford to race.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Atomizer posted:

What's up with the spec Miata love/hate?

I hate them because they are awful to drive. The shocks are absolute junk, they make really poor power unless you build a pro motor and then they still make really poor power for the money spent, you have to run narrow wheels so the thing has numb steering feel, the tires cost a fortune because Hoosier lines their pockets to keep you buying a set of tires every 1-2 weekends, and the actual racing is a crashfest that is unparalleled in the amateur automotive world. For about 60% of the money of a mid-level regional SM, you can build a caged HPDE car that will go faster around a track and be easier and more rewarding to drive.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Larrymer posted:

huh

last week I almost bought a ratty rear end 99 Miata with a hard top and low miles. Just over 26,000.
"some body damage. Have the convertible top as well. Runs great!"

$1000 bucks (!)

"some body damage" = three of the four corners have been hit (except for the one pictured in the ad, natch)

"have the convertible top as well" - yes, a bad soft top on it with the back window punched in because his dog slept in it sometimes
oh and its been parked outside of my office for ~2 years

"runs great" = the owner hopped in and fired it up. Lifter clatter for a second then quiet. Can hear an exhaust leak somewhere up by the headers. No obvious signs of fluid leaks but otherwise seemed OK.

opened the trunk to the check the spare and hey that's the ground.

Took a look in the driver's side footwell and hey look I can see the ground here too through a hole in the carpet

the owner was all gung-ho for me to take it for a test drive. I declined.

fuckin thing would have probably broken in half at the first corner

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

M.net response: still a better Miata than the NC

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Hard top alone was worth that money. Could have parted it or kept the good poo poo for a better tub. Sucks it was lovely, though.

As for the Spec Miata love/hate, I don't necessarily love the series, it just seems like a good option for wheel to wheel racing which I've always wanted to do. It's true that there are cheaters, but I figure you'll find that anywhere. People are scraping to find the smallest edge because the class is so competitive and that happens. Whatever. I'm going to be running a 168k mile engine/trans/everything and will probably be down on power quite a bit compared to everyone else and IDGAF. :) If I do well enough to somehow podium or just have fun in the first season and not lose the car to a wreck that's enough for me.

I think the cost to build is similar for the two (SM vs. PTE/D/whatever) but it seems simpler in SM. There's 1 build, that's it. The car I bought has the right diff, trans, and a hard top so I don't really need to mix and match parts from the get go. To be competitive in PTE it sounds like you'd have to have the VVT engine, OS Giken diff, a standalone EMS and other costly parts. Granted, I'm not trying to be super competitive in SM, so that may be a slightly unfair comparison. Either way, I don't want to track all that poo poo down personally. :effort: It would be a fun car but I'm not sure how many locals (will have to check) are running in that class either. I'd rather have somebody to race in SM, even if it's at the back of the pack than win a PTE race vs. myself.

Edit: checked the NASA midwest region results and there really aren't too many people doing it. Some races they had 2-3, some it was 6 or 7 it seems. Not sure that's enough for me to want to jump in.

Yes, there are better shocks/suspensions/wider wheels/tires, etc. but I don't think it's as terrible of a setup as Sav is saying. Should be faster and more fun that my HPDE Miata that I had a few years ago, and that was a riot.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 4, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was going to post the past few months of Mazdaspeed Development articles of them pussyfooting around Spec Miata, but whatever.

In things that aren't awful news (like Spec Miata): the ND's curb was revealed at Geneva. Minimum curb for the 2.0L with 75kg driver is 1070-1090kg. So minus the driver, we're looking at an ND that weighs around 2193 to 2237lbs.

155HP, 148ft-lbs, and 2220ish lbs? I'm down.

alexnessie
Jun 12, 2005

[.........Elysium.........]
I was planning to post a picture tonight of my swanky new hardtop that I got for just £100, in the same colour as my car, but now the only picture I have to post of it is the one I took when it broke down on the way home tonight.

Suspect head gasket failure, it's billowing out thick noxious white smoke.

One thing good happens, one thing poo poo happens. The joys of car ownership.

Looks like it'll be sat up at my local garage for a while till I can afford to get it sorted, so I am now carless and by definition (delivery driver), jobless! Yay! :smith:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Paging Trouser Chili.

I may be doing the unthinkable and trading the Miata for a van. A mazda 5 to be exact. I was curious what the plusses and minuses of those are.

I'm in a different mental space than I was when I had my first Miata, this one I have now really doesn't do much for me and my likes as a person have moved on. I prefer running and bicycling to sitting in traffic, waiting to get to the good roads (Houston has few)

I miss having a bike hauler like the focus wagon I had. So, anyone here ever owned a mazda 5? How was it? How's the gas milage?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd post in the other Mazda thread, you'll get more info there.

They are great cars, my only issue with them is the interior is a bit cheap looking.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

leica posted:

I'd post in the other Mazda thread, you'll get more info there.

They are great cars, my only issue with them is the interior is a bit cheap looking.

The other mazda thread? Is that the one titled MZR chat?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Taco Box posted:

The other mazda thread? Is that the one titled MZR chat?

Yep, the everything but Miatas Mazda thread :v:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I parked my car on the street and some dude walked by and took a picture?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

blk posted:

I parked my car on the street and some dude walked by and took a picture?

I just wanted some pics of your sweet anime wraps bruh.

I couldn't find one in the same paint color as yours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone happen to know why the lifters all of a sudden decide to get noisy, like loud as hell noisy on startup?

They never made much noise before now all of a sudden it's an issue. Oil level is fine, I don't get it :confused: