Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

nexxai posted:

How does it feel to know that you spent 15+ minutes on an email that will in all likelihood see a forward of this message to "support@OURCOMPANY.com" wondering why they're receiving spam.

Means it's pint-glass-full-of-gin-and-tonic time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Dunno-Lars posted:

Did you ever get a list of the new poo poo they put in? Were you about to get it? Because if not, you would still have deleted those files manually, since noone told you about it. The blame really is not on you here, but the morons that added those files.

One department had been sending me updates for when they added stuff, but they ended up adding about 25 spots they didn't tell me about. All in all they ended up losing something like ~130 commercials. Oops.

CuddleChunks posted:

When new commercials get added they have a cart number associated but is their file creation date for today or is it some time in the past when the cart was originally recorded?

I'd have to check, but depending on the department, the dates would differ, likely. The Promotions and Commercial Production departments make all spots in-house and basically load them into the server as soon as they are made. The Traffic department is in charge of spots sent in by clients, and the dates on those differ wildly. You may end up with a client sending in a commercial that was created/modified days/weeks/months prior to them getting sent in.

However, it's a good thing to look into. I could ask the departments to keep me updated on what spots they add and then just take note of the created/modified dates and see what the correlation tends to be. A fallback addition to the script in order to save recent files would be pretty nifty. Of course, if our dumb system had a folder for non-expired spots that are automatically filtered to an archive folder when the expiration date is hit, that would be even better, but, like I said, I'm not allowed access to that particular server :psyduck:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

nexxai posted:

How does it feel to know that you spent 15+ minutes on an email that will in all likelihood see a forward of this message to "support@OURCOMPANY.com" wondering why they're receiving spam.
I wouldn't worry about that, that would require someone to actually read the messsage in the first place, and we all know no one's going to do that.

With those MP3 commercials, it sounds like tons of people have write access to the folder, is it audited at all? That's a golden opportunity for some disgruntled employee to replace an existing MP3 already scheduled to air with a nice gently caress off message to their boss or something.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Knormal posted:

I wouldn't worry about that, that would require someone to actually read the messsage in the first place, and we all know no one's going to do that.

With those MP3 commercials, it sounds like tons of people have write access to the folder, is it audited at all? That's a golden opportunity for some disgruntled employee to replace an existing MP3 already scheduled to air with a nice gently caress off message to their boss or something.
Like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwVRmbKgI0o

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Knormal posted:

I hate to take the opposing stance on this, but I pretty easily get something like 100-200 emails a day. A good number of them are sent either to my team (8 people) or department (50ish?), and a good number of THOSE are automated in some way (tickets and notifications that programs ran successfully). I tend to know all the subject lines and people who would be sending me things I need to pay attention to, and 90% of the time when I get mail from some generic GM address it's either propoganda, asking for my money/time outside of work (we have a partner charity), or something trivial like our internal newsletter. So if I'm busy, I'll click on it, notice that I don't think I care immediately, and it will be purged in 3 months since it's been marked read.

I didn't use to understand how companies that ran without email at all worked, but more and more I'm starting to see how reducing the barrage of email I get at work could make me more productive/less likely to miss actual important messages. I dread opening my mail in the morning because it's pretty common for me to have 40 emails from between when I left work and got back in the morning.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Eldercain posted:

I hate to take the opposing stance on this, but I pretty easily get something like 100-200 emails a day. A good number of them are sent either to my team (8 people) or department (50ish?), and a good number of THOSE are automated in some way (tickets and notifications that programs ran successfully). I tend to know all the subject lines and people who would be sending me things I need to pay attention to, and 90% of the time when I get mail from some generic GM address it's either propoganda, asking for my money/time outside of work (we have a partner charity), or something trivial like our internal newsletter. So if I'm busy, I'll click on it, notice that I don't think I care immediately, and it will be purged in 3 months since it's been marked read.

I didn't use to understand how companies that ran without email at all worked, but more and more I'm starting to see how reducing the barrage of email I get at work could make me more productive/less likely to miss actual important messages. I dread opening my mail in the morning because it's pretty common for me to have 40 emails from between when I left work and got back in the morning.
I get a lot of automated cruft too. Build notices, reports, etc.

I have rules that filter those into their own folders that I review as needed.

Very little comes into my actual inbox that isn't actually important.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

ConfusedUs posted:

I get a lot of automated cruft too. Build notices, reports, etc.

I have rules that filter those into their own folders that I review as needed.

Very little comes into my actual inbox that isn't actually important.

My email is a horrific unmanaged piece of poo. I have a folder that I take things that ARE important to save them from purging, but I still haven't made any rules and every time I get fed up and think about doing it I get halfway through some documentation on how and either get distracted or get indecision about how to go about it.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
I get just slightly over 1000 emails a day, about 95% of which are automated status messages. Message rules are the only thing that keeps email usable for me.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Eldercain posted:

My email is a horrific unmanaged piece of poo. I have a folder that I take things that ARE important to save them from purging, but I still haven't made any rules and every time I get fed up and think about doing it I get halfway through some documentation on how and either get distracted or get indecision about how to go about it.

You don't need documentation to right click and mash create rule. Stumbling through it will take like 30 seconds. Save yourself some time hand sorting mail.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I don't think I'd be able to function without Outlook rules. I've got practically everything set up to get pigeonholed into it's own folder, and even an auto responder if anyone bugs me about the phone system.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I try and avoid automated emails where possible. System alerts feed into Zendesk, if they match a filter that knows what a success notification looks like then the ticket skips any new ticket notification and gets closed. New tickets/replies don't generate emails either, people just know to check the dashboard as often as they'd check the other tools.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Two different jobs, two different things we networked today.

A 4kW laser cutter.
A piano.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

go3 posted:

A 4kW laser cutter.
A piano.

This reminds me of our company Christmas party this year. About 4 beers in, I was approached with finding out why the player piano wasn't working. After about 30 minutes, I had it working again. I jokingly handed the GM a bill written on a napkin.

He handed me a check the next day :allears:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

go3 posted:

A 4kW laser cutter.
A piano.
:allears: Go on...

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 6, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

go3 posted:

A 4kW laser cutter.
A piano.

A lab asked for a copy of Win98 earlier this week to control the former.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I wish a ticket would come in. Started new job in the IT department of a community college. Dean insists on coming to my desk for everything instead of responding to my emails.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FordPRefectLL posted:

I wish a ticket would come in. Started new job in the IT department of a community college. Dean insists on coming to my desk for everything instead of responding to my emails.

It's easier that way with our VP -- it always feels awkward trying to troubleshoot an urgent issue but having to wait upwards of hours to squeeze into her schedule. Coming to my desk gets the issue solved in the sporadic windows of free time in her day.

She's also insanely thoughtful, so maybe we're just lucky.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Oh I also had to give everyone in financial aid a lecture about how to use the bcc field because we had a couple emails go out with the student group in the to field and people kept using reply to all to ask questions about their tax info with their full social security number included.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FordPRefectLL posted:

Oh I also had to give everyone in financial aid a lecture about how to use the bcc field because we had a couple emails go out with the student group in the to field and people kept using reply to all to ask questions about their tax info with their full social security number included.

I'm guessing mass emails aren't presently made using true mailing lists? That is to say, not exchange groups?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

All D-sub connectors need to go away. Forever.

I had to fabricate a Cat5e-to-DB9 adapter today to make two dissimilar radios relay data to each other. In an airplane. Even when I'm not working in IT, apparently I'm working in IT.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Acid Reflux posted:

I had to fabricate a Cat5e-to-DB9 adapter today to make two dissimilar radios relay data to each other. In an airplane. Even when I'm not working in IT, apparently I'm working in IT.

... In midair?

Are you MacGuyver? :aaaaa:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

go3 posted:

A 4kW laser cutter.
A piano.

How many pieces is the piano now in ?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

jre posted:

How many pieces is the piano now in ?

Why do you think he cut the piano, when by all accounts he could have connected them for the world's most amazing concert? :sax::hf::science:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Volmarias posted:

Why do you think he cut the piano, when by all accounts he could have connected them for the world's most amazing concert? :sax::hf::science:

There is precedent: http://www.adultswim.com/videos/metalocalypse/dethkloks-philharmonic-performance/

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

I would have linked this, but yeah, same deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEEat65JMc

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Forgive me thread, for I have sinned.

My under-desk space heater blew out my desktop UPS.

I'm gonna order some thicker socks off of Amazon.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

At least you kept it isolated to your desk.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

I skimmed this and read "blew out my ... UPS" thinking it was the one keeping your servers alive, at which point I actually yelled at my screen.

I then read it again and realized my screaming was in error.

Please do the needful and accept my internet apology.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Volmarias posted:

... In midair?

Are you MacGuyver? :aaaaa:

Haha! :D If only, because that would make a hell of a story to tell the grandkids someday...but sadly, it was on the ground in a non-emergency situation, and didn't involve any hair pins or chewing gum.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MJP posted:

You.... plugged a space heater into a UPS? SERIOUSLY?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

AlternateAccount posted:

You mean your space heaters don't have SLAs?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I was at our Florida office the last couple days and one of the ladies had a space heater under her desk. In FLORIDA, where it was 80+ degrees the first week of March. I didn't care though because if she blows a circuit it is not my problem and won't affect much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Yup. Someone didn't know about the tab that holds a graphics card in the slot.

My old PC had the release catch for that in the stupidest loving place, it was jammed between the body of the graphics card and the motherboard. Surrounded on all sides by capacitors.

Eventually I got a pair of pliers and sort of twisted/snapped the bit of circuit board off the graphics card that the catch connects to, then pulled the thing out.

Stupidest goddamn motherboard design I ever saw.

Potato Salad posted:

A lab asked for a copy of Win98 earlier this week to control the former.

The IT resources of the physics lab at my old college consisted entirely of one, quite good condition, BBC micro connected to all of the equipment used for the physics department.

This was in 2004.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 6, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

Please do the heatful

It was actually into a surge protector, which went to a UPS.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

My old PC had the release catch for that in the stupidest loving place, it was jammed between the body of the graphics card and the motherboard. Surrounded on all sides by capacitors.
All motherboards have them between the motherboard and the body of the video card :confused: That's why they suck.

MJP posted:

:ughh:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Erwin posted:

All motherboards have them between the motherboard and the body of the video card :confused: That's why they suck.

I don't think that was the issue (although it is poo poo spec design in and of itself). It was the fact the release lever was surrounded by capacitors on the mobo, so there's no real way to engage to release the card after it was seated.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

MJP posted:

:aaaaa:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

The IT resources of the physics lab at my old college consisted entirely of one, quite good condition, BBC micro connected to all of the equipment used for the physics department.

This was in 2004.

This was almost a decade ago, but when I was helping a friend put their stuff into storage at a storage facility, the gate was controlled by an Apple ][e. Totally blew my mind.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Volmarias posted:

This was almost a decade ago, but when I was helping a friend put their stuff into storage at a storage facility, the gate was controlled by an Apple ][e. Totally blew my mind.

If it ain't broke...

But seriously, most of that kind of stuff would be moved to an embedded system these days, most of which are roughly as powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc
(I'm a network engineer.)

Because our trouble ticket numbers are so low for our site, we got word on high that we should file a trouble ticket for every infrastructure-related thing we do (even for stuff like upgrading firmware on a switch). We were also told that on these tickets we should list ourselves as the customer and the resolver. However, our ticketing system periodically sends out survey requests to the customer of the ticket to evaluate how well they think the technician did.

This means I get surveys on my trouble tickets asking me how well I think I did on my own ticket. I say I was extremely professional and follow process to the letter!

• Locked thread