Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Something I recently discovered is that my 920 is pretty terrible at sustained Wi-Fi tethering. While it works fine for general browsing, it becomes problematic when I'm watching streamed videos on a Windows tablet while tethered to my 920, particularity when watching full length episodes that go on for about 25 minutes (specifically watching Crunchyroll on a web browser). The video will occasionally (every several minutes) stutter, freeze, and completely stop which requires me to reload the video to continue watching. On a whim, I tethered with my Sony Z3 Compact and it played flawlessly on the same Windows tablet. So either my 920 is underpowered compared to the Z3c for desirable Wi-Fi sharing performance (1.5 GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 vs 2.5 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 801 respectively) or the Wi-Fi sharing protocol for Windows Phone is inferior to Android's implementation. Does anyone with a newer and more powerful Windows Phone have any Wi-Fi sharing issues?

I watch videos through Wi-Fi sharing pretty often and hate dealing with the stuttering issues. However, I still prefer to use Windows Phone over Android despite having the Z3c for a few months now. Yet SIM card swapping is inconvenient to do especially if I'm on the go. If this really is an issue with the power of the hardware, I can go with something more new and powerful. Hopefully something cheap like the 830, 735, or 640 would work. However if this is an endemic software or driver issue with Windows Phone, then that has to be fixed or I'll be pushed closer towards switching over to Android.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

What about the Focus S and Ativ S? Both were based off older Galaxies.

I don't know about the Focus, but the Ativ S was based on the Galaxy but had much worse hardware/build. The Ativ S was much thicker yet still managed to have a smaller battery than the Galaxy S3. The HTC M8 was the first time it was the same quality of hardware on Windows Phone and Android.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Early price rumors for the 640 were in the range of $300 which would have killed it out of the gate, but at $180 for the LTE and expected ~$150 for the 3G it's actually looking like MS's most competitive mid/budget offering since the 520. Really solid specs and no bizarre omissions like the 635 (all expected sensors).

Obviously not the flagship most want here, but on a pure price/features scale it's actually...impressive? :ohdear:

gently caress, even the name is sensible.

Depending on when they come out, I might actually have found the temporary phone I need to replace my busted 920 until new flagships actually come out.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

From what I've read, 219€ for the 640XL is a fantastic price for a Quad Core Snapdragon 400, 1Gb RAM, 5.7" HD screen and a decent camera. I'd buy a 640XL right now if I had something worse than my 925.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I have a lovely Nokia Lumia 635 and it sucks. If I get a text message, I'll get the same text message about 5 times throughout a 2 hour period. Very annoying. Is this a problem with the carrier or is it my phone?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

More likely from your carrier, my mom has a 635 and is been flawless. We also set her online profile on the carrier's website to not recieve any SMS with ads.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've posted repeatedly about my mom's 822 and how I really wish she had something better; would the 640 be an upgrade from that and/or should I just buy her a used Icon?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guillermus posted:

From what I've read, 219€ for the 640XL is a fantastic price for a Quad Core Snapdragon 400, 1Gb RAM, 5.7" HD screen and a decent camera. I'd buy a 640XL right now if I had something worse than my 925.

I'm looking forward to the 640 - I really need to replace my lovely iPhone 4S and it looks like just the thing I need.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

From what I've read, 219 for the 640XL is a fantastic price for a Quad Core Snapdragon 400, 1Gb RAM, 5.7" HD screen and a decent camera. I'd buy a 640XL right now if I had something worse than my 925.

It's too bad that the XL has the better cameras since I prefer to use my phone with one hand. But why the different cameras between the smaller and XL models? It looks like they gave the XL the rear camera from the 830 and front camera from the 735 and gave the smaller 640 the remaining, worse cameras. :haw: ... :smith:

At least it looks like the XL will be a little smaller than the 1520 so I might just barely be able to use it single handed. I've held a 1520 before as a store demo and it is really a handful to use with one hand and I doubt the absence of security devices would have made a difference.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 2, 2015

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Have they said anything about actual availability for the 640 and XL?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Chasiubao posted:

Have they said anything about actual availability for the 640 and XL?

This month is what I saw somewhere, but who knows. This is heartening though.

http://m.att.com/shopmobile/cellphones/microsoft/lumia-640xl/_jcr_content.html?referrer=

Prime Weasel
Aug 1, 2012

Terraplane posted:

Is the 635 a decent improvement over the 520? I have a 520 and feature-wise it does everything I want, I don't care about having a bigger screen or anything, I'd just like something a bit more responsive. My main issue with my 520 is that it can be painfully slow moving between menus (I'm looking at you, Spotify). It's not enough of an issue for me that I'm willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a better phone but I was hoping there was a cheapish upgrade that might make a difference.

I recently moved from a 521 to a 635, after winning one on the @LumiaUS Twitter random draws. Here's some impressions:

Even though the screen is only a 1/2 inch bigger, it's made a huge difference in texting and emails. The keyboard feels much more spread out and comfortable.

While the RAM is the same, the faster processor has made a difference in running many apps. The biggest improvement was in Waze, which used to often hang on animations after doing a route recalculation. That's now only an infrequent occurence on the 635. (Tapping the back arrow recovers it)

The lack of dedicated Camera button took some getting used to. Rather than adding a software button to the Start screen, I've added a Notification Center shortcut. Out of the way, but immediately accessible.

There's also a decent selection of cases, covers & other accessories for it.

If the rumour of a 1GB Lumia 635 is true, I'd hold out for that - otherwise, it's still a good deal for its very low pricepoint.

TopherCStone posted:

it seems like Microsoft is trying to bring in some product placement.

The Mindy Project is featuring the Lumia 1020 a lot, too.

I think the new 640 & 640XL have the right idea, simplifying model numbers and not locking them to exclusive carriers. I've had a devil of a time trying to find the right import models that work on MetroPCS (thanks, goon-thread, for helping with that) but still can't justify the $500+ pricetag for a 930 or 1520.3 at B&H. The pricepoints on these, if I read correctly at $180 & $220, are about right for me. Sure, neither are flagship models, but are easily a huge step about the 521 & 635 (especially with that year of Office Live chucked in) - and needing to upgrade 4 lines for the family at once is now doable. Yeah, I guess I'm a fan. :/

I'm not exactly sure what the dual-sim is for, though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Prime Weasel posted:

I'm not exactly sure what the dual-sim is for, though.

You get two phone numbers in one device wich allows you to use it as personal and work phone at the same time, you can disable one or the other depending if you want to be available, etc... Dual sim owns imo.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Guillermus posted:

More likely from your carrier, my mom has a 635 and is been flawless. We also set her online profile on the carrier's website to not recieve any SMS with ads.

loving T Mobile.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Grab some popcorn. I just ordered a new 1520.3 (want Qi) from here for $250 shipped:

http://tronicltd.tictail.com/product/nokia-lumia-15203-black-3g-4g-lte-quad-core-22ghz-unlocked-cell-phone-us-lte-bands

I'm 99.9% certain it's a scam. If so, I'll let PayPal deal with it. :bustem:

Check this thread for the incoming let down, lol.

If it does show up, fully expecting a Lumria 152.3 or some knockoff poo poo. PayPal case will be opened.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 3, 2015

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I have a lovely Nokia Lumia 635 and it sucks. If I get a text message, I'll get the same text message about 5 times throughout a 2 hour period. Very annoying. Is this a problem with the carrier or is it my phone?

That is your carrier dude. I once blamed Windows for the issue, but when I had an android I had the same loving problem. Call and complain.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

hotsauce posted:

Grab some popcorn. I just ordered a new 1520.3 (want Qi) from here for $250 shipped:

http://tronicltd.tictail.com/product/nokia-lumia-15203-black-3g-4g-lte-quad-core-22ghz-unlocked-cell-phone-us-lte-bands

Check this thread for the incoming let down, lol.

If it does show up, fully expecting a Lumria 152.3 or some knockoff poo poo. PayPal case will be opened.

wow that site screams of scam. Let me know if its now, i'd be interested in following your daring daring shoes.

Since we're not getting a flagship until September, i'm interested in a stop gap. I love my 1020 to death but the camera slowness is starting to wear on me. I live in a area of somewhat marginal coverage so going without LTE on the 930 could potentially make things much worse (if the 930 had LTE for ATT OR Glance, i'd probably pull the trigger. I actually use glance quite a bit so I can't mentally bring myself to lose both. At least not for more than $200.)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So instead of writing huge rear end Windows Phone dev posts in this thread, I instead starting writing posts out to a tumblr I've apparently had for the past few years. Right now it's just two posts about VLC for Windows 8/Windows Phone, but if you're interested in what's going on in those apps and why they are so... ahh... interesting, then it should be somewhat cool. At least I hope so.

hotsauce posted:

Don't you already have a 1520 and/or 930? Qi is really that important to you? :psyduck:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Don't you already have a 1520 and/or 930? Qi is really that important to you? :psyduck:
Green 1520, yeah. Returned the 930 because gently caress not having LTE. If it comes through, I'll just sell the green one to offset.

I think the party is already over though. I emailed the "contact us" on the site and got an instant bounce.

I do have a PayPal yahoo address where the payment went though. Might as well.

If not, dispute time (although I'll have to wait). I was 100% aware of the risk and was comfortable with it. PayPal is pretty aggressive, siding with screwed buyers almost always. This will be a clear cut case. I mainly wanted to see what happened. I mean, FedEx shipping was .04 cents. Ok.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Drastic Actions posted:

So instead of writing huge rear end Windows Phone dev posts in this thread, I instead starting writing posts out to a tumblr I've apparently had for the past few years. Right now it's just two posts about VLC for Windows 8/Windows Phone, but if you're interested in what's going on in those apps and why they are so... ahh... interesting, then it should be somewhat cool. At least I hope so.

Have you met hot sauce?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Have you met hot sauce?

No but he bought a 1020 from me :newlol:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

hotsauce posted:

No but he bought a 1020 from me :newlol:

Hah, then why are you psyducking him?

I bought a Z3C off of him. :)

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I get that Microsoft wants to wait until Windows 10 to launch a new flagship, even though I don't agree with them. But they could at least release the new outlook app that everyone has been talking about. That's making me want to get an iPhone now, and not get a new Windows phone.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

wookieepelt posted:

I get that Microsoft wants to wait until Windows 10 to launch a new flagship, even though I don't agree with them. But they could at least release the new outlook app that everyone has been talking about. That's making me want to get an iPhone now, and not get a new Windows phone.

Don't think it's possible as they're likely writing it as a W10 universal app, wp 8 would be a rewrite.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Denim is out on 1520.3 variant! The camera is indeed better! I still have a cracked screen so whatever gently caress it.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 5, 2015

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Well I'm back to my 925 as the daily driver. Forgot how nice the camera was.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
:toot: Harmony Music update :toot:

changelog posted:

+ pin anything to start (album/artist/genre)
+ added distinct lock icon for unavailable albums, artists, and genres
+ added track count to 'NOW PLAYING' header on that page
* fixed now playing album art flashing when loading completes
* adjusted animation timing to try and smooth things out a bit
* speed up 'invert selected' button operation on now playing list
* updated placeholder album art image
* fixed scenario where play/pause button wouldn't do anything
* improved detection of dropped network connections

Also, a slightly snazzier store logo.

You would not even believe how much of a hassle it is to get these secondary tiles working nicely. You'd think a gallery of local images would be easy, but no.

Financial update: $115.77 USD total (4x last.fm scrobbling, 56x onedrive unlock). Also, I have spent approximately $55 for pubCenter ads, which over the last 30 days has been 59255 "impressions" and 307 "clicks". Labor costs: $$$$$ (est).

Remember that I don't actually get a payout from the store until $200, so I still have not actually made any money! Nobody is creating Windows Phone apps to make money!

Don't forget to give a five star rating if you want to help out. Five star ratings are at least as important if not more than IAP purchases.

Roadmap: The 2-3 part time interns on the OneDrive API team have released a large update and this means very good things for my app. The next step is to start transitioning from the current API to the new API. Dividends include faster initial collection sync, more audio metadata such as disc release year and track number, and all of the groundwork to get playlists working.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Is there any way to customize what folders Harmony is using for Music? I have some audiobooks that I'd like to use but because of organized reasons I don't want them mixing with music. I'm still scarred from when my iPhone would shuffle to an audiobook even after I had marked them as such.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Currently you can only pick one root folder in OneDrive where it'll base your collection out of. I want to solve your problem another way though, which is to be able to suppress things from your collection. Like you could suppress the 'Christmas' genre for 11 months out of the year, or in your case find & suppress things which were audiobooks. So for the moment the way to get your audiobooks out of your collection is to keep them out of your music folder.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Factor Mystic posted:

Currently you can only pick one root folder in OneDrive where it'll base your collection out of. I want to solve your problem another way though, which is to be able to suppress things from your collection. Like you could suppress the 'Christmas' genre for 11 months out of the year, or in your case find & suppress things which were audiobooks. So for the moment the way to get your audiobooks out of your collection is to keep them out of your music folder.

I would love this.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Factor Mystic posted:

Suppression would be awesome, I have a downloaded album of peepee/poopoo songs that my 5 year old loves. I love it much less when I hit random shuffle and they come out of nowhere. Also when will you offer random shuffle?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

OldPueblo posted:

Also when will you offer random shuffle?

Already in for a long time. It's on the "..." menu on now playing. The setting is sticky until you turn it off. Hitting play on genres & artists will shuffle that thing by default.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

Already in for a long time. It's on the "..." menu on now playing. The setting is sticky until you turn it off. Hitting play on genres & artists will shuffle that thing by default.

I somehow had you mixed up with the Awful Music app. I am dumb.

Prime Weasel
Aug 1, 2012

Guillermus posted:

You get two phone numbers in one device wich allows you to use it as personal and work phone at the same time, you can disable one or the other depending if you want to be available, etc... Dual sim owns imo.

Ah, thanks for that. I've since read up some more on it, too. :)

In other news... the regular Lumia 940 has appeared on the T-Mobile website (listed as coming soon), but not the XL version. The XL version hasn't been locked to ATT, has it? There was a vague mention of some MS/ATT collaboration towards the beginning of the MWC presentation.

Edit: nm, it's some special Office collaboration or some such with ATT & T-Mobile's parent co.

Prime Weasel fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 6, 2015

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Prime Weasel posted:

Ah, thanks for that. I've since read up some more on it, too. :)

In other news... the regular Lumia 940 has appeared on the T-Mobile website (listed as coming soon), but not the XL version. The XL version hasn't been locked to ATT, has it? There was a vague mention of some MS/ATT collaboration towards the beginning of the MWC presentation.

Edit: nm, it's some special Office collaboration or some such with ATT & T-Mobile's parent co.

If you me the 640 then yes, Only ATT of US carriers I getting the xl
http://www.winbeta.org/news/t-mobile-and-metro-pcs-will-carry-lumia-640-not-640xl

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Peepee poopoo music

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Peepee poopoo music

http://youtu.be/2rcCHF9EHnQ

God I miss that show :smith:

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Peepee poopoo music

Great for karaoke parties or relaxing with a glass of wine.
http://music.xbox.com/Album/61dcef07-0100-11db-89ca-0019b92a3933?action=play

He's a bit of a lyrical genius.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

CalvinandHobbes posted:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/t-mobile-and-metro-pcs-will-carry-lumia-640-not-640xl

If the 640 comes in at or under $200 on T-Mobile I think I'll buy it. I only wish it had an AMOLED display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prime Weasel
Aug 1, 2012

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Oh, well that's a bit disappointing. I'll still settle for the regular 640, then. Maybe Tmobile/MetroPCS need to see some move, before accepting more models.

(Yes, I meant 640 in earlier post.)