Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I assumed that was a play on real life condom dispensary adverts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Oben posted:

I don't know, I think sexually active kids definitely should have access to free condoms after a discussion with a trained healthcare professional.

And that's a bit different from a box full of condoms with help yourself on it.

The latter is a closer approximation of what trafficking victims received in this case.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Edit: The girls were groomed, not trafficked.

Guavanaut posted:

Mac ruins it by making the condoms the responsibility of the girls though.
I'm pretty sure he's blaming the police/social workers for this situation, not saying that it's a straightforward fix. Mac is a classist bastard most of the time, but in this case he's outraged by exactly the right things. And as I said in the main politoons thread, he could easily have taken it in a race/immigration direction instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I get that he's blaming the authorities, but the condom thing does seem like more than a nod towards some conservative views on sex and contraception, like "giving sluts access to free condoms is also a bad thing".

Maybe I'm looking to read things where they aren't, but it is the Daily Mail.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can we now discuss intricacies of all the squirrel and woodpecker cartoons? I feel like we're missing some important subtext there.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Guavanaut posted:

I get that he's blaming the authorities, but the condom thing does seem like more than a nod towards some conservative views on sex and contraception, like "giving sluts access to free condoms is also a bad thing".

Maybe I'm looking to read things where they aren't, but it is the Daily Mail.

I'm not even sure that's the argument he's making. Giving out condoms can certainly be a good thing (and I think it does tend to be girls who are expected to claim these) but here that's obviously all they're doing. By itself it's clearly an inadequate response, however you view about giving out condoms otherwise.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
There was a definitely a "they're giving children condoms!" story in the mail the other day. I assume that's what it was referring to.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kegluneq posted:

Giving out condoms can certainly be a good thing (and I think it does tend to be girls who are expected to claim these)
I've always seen it pitched more towards men. It's every other form of contraception that falls disproportionately on women, whereas with condoms it's more like "hey guys, carry these, you never know what might happen :heysexy:" and "girls? if they carry condoms everyone will think they want sex :supaburn:"

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

All the news stories I've seen on the subject just say 'children'. I should ask my teacher friends about this; I remember sex ed back in the day being directed much more to girls than to boys though. :shrug:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kegluneq posted:

Edit: The girls were groomed, not trafficked.

Were they not pimped out in some cases?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Were they not pimped out in some cases?

That's still not trafficking; they weren't moved to different regions/countries AFAIK.

Edit: Apparently you don't actual have to move to be trafficked, but it does entail selling a person on. Pimping isn't the same thing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kegluneq posted:

That's still not trafficking; they weren't moved to different regions/countries AFAIK.

Edit: Apparently you don't actual have to move to be trafficked, but it does entail selling a person on. Pimping isn't the same thing.

You're incorrect.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

You're incorrect.

Oops, fair point. Trafficking is the right word (the wiki definition is very poorly phrased for what it's worth).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oben posted:

There was a definitely a "they're giving children condoms!" story in the mail the other day. I assume that's what it was referring to.

The story was that various people who were supposed to be protecting the girls actually knew what was happening, and considered it 'age-appropriate sexual relationships' - apparently one girl showed up covered in blood, and it was put down to some kind of kink. So the condoms probably refer to that approval - although I wouldn't be surprised to hear they're crowbarring in some attack on some completely different positive thing, it would make more sense for a Mac cartoon

And the worst thing about that weasel bird one is that the Times guy did his a day after everyone else. It's bad enough when your ideas are so predictable everyone does the same thing simultaneously, but seriously!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

baka kaba posted:

And the worst thing about that weasel bird one is that the Times guy did his a day after everyone else. It's bad enough when your ideas are so predictable everyone does the same thing simultaneously, but seriously!

Nah, that's partly my fault. You can see it's yesterday's cartoon from the date on the side. Times doesn't update around 12ish when I usually post the new cartoons, so they tend to be a day behind in most posts.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Paladinus posted:

Can we now discuss intricacies of all the squirrel and woodpecker cartoons? I feel like we're missing some important subtext there.

at least it's not European Military History 1938-1938

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mac is a genuinely good cartoonist who has terrible opinions about almost everything. that is surprisingly rare, come to think about it.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the leaders' TV debates – Broadcasters are expected to press ahead with the TV election debates and believe they have legal grounds to “empty-chair” the Tories on the basis that they turned down a reasonable invitation to attend"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Nick Clegg makes drug law election pledge

Yesterday's Mail:[/url]
Mac on... Nick Clegg's verdict on drug users

[b]Mail:

Mac on... The Pope's warning about the neglecting the elderly

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

What the gently caress? There isn't even 'a thing happened' outside of the debate to produce this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Conservatives: Keep banning the things.
Labour: Ban even more nebulously defined things!

The 'left wing' alternative.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cloud Potato posted:

Nah, that's partly my fault. You can see it's yesterday's cartoon from the date on the side. Times doesn't update around 12ish when I usually post the new cartoons, so they tend to be a day behind in most posts.

Well that's no fun - guess it's just an unoriginal idea instead of plagiarism then :v:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
"Haggis-muncher"? gently caress right off.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

Yeah that's definitely the worst stereotype on that list

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Coohoolin posted:

You're not even Scottish so please don't act mock-offended on our behalf. We're big boys and girls who can cope with lovely political cartoon gags. At least there's no kilts.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

At least there's no kilts.

I guess that's progress.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
:australia:

Meta-data retention laws pass, and the Senate officially calls Attorney General George Brandis a mean old poopy head.

Tony Abbott sends troops to Iraq because he can.

"Those darn old folks are going to bleed us dry, that's why we'll cut education benefits so those younger than us won't have the same opportunities we had!"

You guys can't do :science: until you deregulate university fees. :eng99: neener neener neener!

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

McDowell posted:

What the gently caress? There isn't even 'a thing happened' outside of the debate to produce this.

Makes sense to me - Cameron has been called cowardly and a chicken. KFC is easier to do than Nandos.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Milotic posted:

Makes sense to me - Cameron has been called cowardly and a chicken. KFC is easier to do than Nandos.
Nando's commercials are pretty much already political cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38YWB8iX7OY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIl5p6gPWjg

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

I know I said this elsewhere, but this one is just plain brilliant. The manic, shaky, sweaty look; the swinging lights, the wisp of hair falling over the forehead all recalling Downfall - Pope's executed the most subtle :godwin: ever.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on David Cameron and Ed Miliband – Broadcasters and Downing Street were at loggerheads after the television companies made it clear they would press ahead with plans to hold three separate election debates, whether David Cameron took part or not"

Telegraph:

Crufts 2015; David Cameron calls on Ed Miliband to rule out SNP deal

Independent:

After Degas.

Yesterday's Times:

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"David Cameron's TV debate solution – David Simonds on the the prime minister’s refusal to debate head-on Ed Miliband"

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent on Sunday:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I haven't heard of David Simonds before.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

The telegraph must twist everything no matter how damning towards the conservatives to be ED BAD mustn't they?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Geokinesis posted:

The telegraph must twist everything no matter how damning towards the conservatives to be ED BAD mustn't they?

Its amazing how biased they are, there are more balanced political party pamphlets than the telegraph.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on David Cameron and the leaders' debates – Prime minister’s insistence on one event exasperates broadcasters, who threaten to go ahead with series of debates, while rivals say he is ‘playing chicken’"

Telegraph:

Arrest after man spends night on roof of Parliament; SNP: 'Use Westminster influence to benefit Scotland'

Independent:

Times:

Islamic State 'demolishes' ancient Hatra site in Iraq

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So can anyone make out what is said on the other side of the paper on the bottom of Rowson's list? As best I can make out it says "Shivess Looney" but shivess is a meaningless word.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cliff Racer posted:

So can anyone make out what is said on the other side of the paper on the bottom of Rowson's list? As best I can make out it says "Shivess Looney" but shivess is a meaningless word.

Looks like something-ishness
KNOOISHNESS
Yeah I don't know. Knavishness would work but the shapes don't work. Nice piss puddle though! People used to be impressed by Thomas's desk reflections but that's your masterclass right there

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ha, second viewing and I just noticed the yellow streak of piss down Cameron's leg.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Cliff Racer posted:

Knobishness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Geokinesis posted:

I know it's to be expected but whenever I come across a copy of The Sun the bias of the language is hilarious: heroic Dave and Red Ed, in mock ups they use a real picture of Cameron and a plasticine one of Miliband. When I studied politics I'm sure it was said that in the Murdoch era whoever The Sun backs ends up Prime Minister.

• Locked thread