Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Thanks Ants posted:

And a nice rug in your private office.

One that really ties the room together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

And a nice rug in your private office.

For breaking in^W^W interviewing new secretaries?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wibla posted:

For breaking in^W^W interviewing new secretaries?

:rolleyes:

Go watch The Big Lebowski.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Volmarias posted:

:rolleyes:

Go watch The Big Lebowski.

That's not what where I was going with my post, but I'm glad you all took it there.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

tomapot posted:

That's not what where I was going with my post, but I'm glad you all took it there.

It's a pretty natural progression.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Kazinsal posted:

One of my email addresses seems to be on a phishing spam VPS ring's list. Every email seems to come from a different IP and domain, and every domain tends to have one of the new gTLDs (like .club, .website, .link, etc.). SpamAssassin is starting to get really good at catching them but two or three seem to get through per day.

It's getting annoying.

Amateurs.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Brut posted:

You're a programmer with time-spend-based performance metrics? how does that even work?

I don't know, but it's new and we don't get it either really. I clearly don't have an overview of the timesheet data they have, but most of the IS staff we have here bills pretty exclusively to either production support or projects. If there are people who don't then they're just going to start latching on to whatever they can dump hours into since the time reporting is not taken terribly seriously by many people. I tend to round off by the hour and kind of feel my way through it at the end of every week.

tl;dr someone higher up has bad ideas for fixing a problem that doesn't exist

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tomapot posted:

What was the joke then?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Inspector_666 posted:

What was the joke then?

Must have been my inner Lebowski leaking through without me realizing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Volmarias posted:

I wear slippers at work, so I guess I'm a junior director?

Same, office slippers master race here.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tomapot posted:

Must have been my inner Lebowski leaking through without me realizing.

Oh whoops I thought you were guy who made the secretary joke :downs:

I got and liked yours.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
When I used to work at the studio it was Bugs Bunny slippers for our Ops Director.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

I got in contact with a placement agency and after a face to face meeting where the recruiter asked me to send him my references, and then he fell off the face of the earth.

Sounds like every interaction I've ever had with RHT.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Spazz posted:

Sounds like every interaction I've ever had with RHT.

Oh good, I thought it was me who was doing something wrong/appearing more stupid than normal. Talked to like 3 recruiters and then one day they just vanished. Dunno.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Gothmog1065 posted:

Oh good, I thought it was me who was doing something wrong/appearing more stupid than normal. Talked to like 3 recruiters and then one day they just vanished. Dunno.
They have a tendency to reappear months later. I had to tell a guy once that we had already met in person. He replied that he totally remembered who I was, but thought I forgot who he was, which is a pretty weak comeback for someone obviously sending out a form letter.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I don't know, if you're gonna fire a recruiter, put a bounce back on their email. I just changed jobs a little over 2 months ago, so I'm not looking. But if your general recruiting company can't bother to setup out of office replies for terminated employees, I have a hard time believing you're going to really be an advocate for me.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
RHT has a habit of getting you all excited and asking for references, specifically from managers at old companies you worked for. They then give these as sales leads to their people who look for companies that might want to use them as staffing solutions. Unless RHT has a specific job that they are trying to hire you for, and have specific information on the position, their recruiting contacts are nothing more than lead generation.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I am going to find whoever keeps giving all-caps names to horrible little proof-of-concept "vulns". I am going to find them and I am going to shoot them in the loving knees, because I am so god-damned tired of customers showing up and going "OH poo poo, DOG, I HEARD ABOUT 'FREAK'. IS IT LIKE THE NEW 'POODLE' WHAT DO I NEED TO DO" you need to do nothing, panicked-as-gently caress user. Because the only OS that runs our product fixed the CVE you're referencing in October and pushed the fix in January.

So you need to do nothing. And the website that told you that your server was vulnerable lied to you in order to get money. Sure as gently caress hope you didn't give them any, 'cause if you did then you're dumber than even I thought.

god, am I gonna be glad to :yotj: the gently caress out of here.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That's why I'm skeptical of positions that require references before getting an Interview or Generic HR Screen.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tab8715 posted:

That's why I'm skeptical of positions that require references before getting an Interview or Generic HR Screen.

References are for the hiring company after they've decided they want me and have made an offer, as far as I'm concerned.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I don't give references unless a phone interview has already happened or if we have an in person one already scheduled. I've done it once or twice but always prefaced it with "Please do not contact my references unless placement is being considered". I also have no plans to ever work with a third party recruiting agency again unless I'm really struggling to find work. I've been dicked around too many times and far to often all they have to offer are contract or contract to hire. My risk tolerance isn't high enough to leave a permanent position for a 6 month C2H where they might say "Oh, we ran out of money" or "We are eliminating the project" five months in. At least if I get laid off at a permanent position I can get unemployment.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Job creep.

Oh hey desktop guy, can you do this offsite work that includes lots of server and network stuff, singlehandedly?

Oh hey desktop guy, can you help out with this laboratory equipment and programs with no training because we don't feel like hiring someone?

Oh hey desktop guy, can you babysit doctors on the EMR system because someone decided they want to work from home for a week?

They sell it as experience for promotion, and that may be the case (and I've come to appreciate the offsite's server and security responsibilities) , but after a certain point desktop is acting as the entire IT organization's reserve army and I'm wearing every hat on the rack. There's only so many hours in a day and somebody is going to get disappointed because we couldn't finish something due to lack of time or lack of training. There's also the fact that I'm doing someone else's job for them with no extra pay or title upgrade. I was told some sob story about how someone can't cover the EMR gap because they have a family and it wouldn't be fair... well, are that team's staffing woes and familial obligations really our problem? Nobody helps desktop when we get swamped. It's not like there's nobody else, we have multiple facilities' worth of people who already work in the fields we covering.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Spam Chat

We set up a new relay last year for sending emails to customers. Infrastructure thought Network was securing it. Network thought Infrastructure was securing it. The relay went live.
A year later, after multiple "Bad performance" tickets, someone finally looks at the relay. Unsecured. On the internet. Sending 250k emails a day on average. Network blames infrastructure. Infrastructure blames Network. Risk (me) fixes it.

2 days later we get Spamhaus blacklisted. No external email, full stop.

It's been a fun week for email.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

skooma512 posted:

Job creep.

You don't really have a choice until your review (except yotj 2015 of course) And by then you'll have a lot of leverage. I waited it out and got two 25% raises in a row for what it's worth

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

skooma512 posted:

Job creep.

I've been running into a lot of job creep at my current gig lately as well. Some of the extra duties I've been assigned are very much in line with what I want to be doing at the next level, but some are more salesy and definitely not what I want to be doing. It's honestly getting really exhausting putting effort into trying to do a good job at all of the extra responsibilities. However, the position I'd most like to move into (more of the technical stuff I want to be doing, less customer interaction) has an opening and my direct supervisor leads me to believe I am at the top of the short list for it, so I'm waiting to see how true that is before I reconsider the effort I'm putting into those duties. If nothing else my annual reviews have been resulting in 10-15% raises very consistently, so things could be worse.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Manager of division x: we need another IP phone and computer for a new office
IT: it's going to be $1100 for a pc, monitor, IP phone, etc
CFO: go ahead and buy it
IT: It's been ordered
Owner of company: (also happens to be Manager of division X's dad) Either find something cheaper or don't buy it

:aaa:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So maybe I'm nuts but a coworker of mine starts every email to a group with "All," and it's driving me crazy. Even for the informal ones he does it. It doesn't even make sense for me to be mad about it but it's annoying me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I gave up trying to open emails like letters ages ago, 99% of the ones I send now go straight into the message, and the signature handles the name/contact details part.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

myron cope posted:

So maybe I'm nuts but a coworker of mine starts every email to a group with "All," and it's driving me crazy. Even for the informal ones he does it. It doesn't even make sense for me to be mad about it but it's annoying me.

All,

I'm a gigantic idiot.

Love,
coworker of myron cope

Yeah it'd make me annoyed too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I start those emails like:

"Team,
....."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bob Morales posted:

I start those emails like:

"Team,
....."

Was about to post this, except that's how my old boss who was universally hated would start everything. The "team" thing started to really get on my and my co-worker's nerves, because NOTHING that boss did had anything to do with a team, and everything to do with his own personal empire-building (he actually said that he was "here to build an empire" in my hearing, once). Hard to address people as "team" and be taken seriously with that kind of outlook.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Roargasm posted:

You don't really have a choice until your review (except yotj 2015 of course) And by then you'll have a lot of leverage. I waited it out and got two 25% raises in a row for what it's worth

Reviews are fairly perfunctory here and nobody really talks to us unless we've hosed up. Raises are a token 1% pretty much no matter what. The only way to get any significant raise is to switch positions. My lead bounced between network and desktop a couple times so he managed to get a raise. They weren't able to retain senior networking staff and so that team is pretty attrited at the moment.

The client is in the middle of a buyout so they have all the excuses in the world. I'd leave but it's a very lenient and chill job otherwise, so it balances out. I'm kind of looking forward to getting our contract cancelled by the buyers and getting absorbed by them. Might get a raise or at least be eligible for merit based-

Ah who am I kidding? This is America. No raises or promotions for anyone. :yotj: 2016

rob_squared
Nov 5, 2009

News, everyone!

hihifellow posted:

poo poo pissing me off: google thinks my home IP address is in Armenia. I've ruled out viruses, rogue proxies, bad routing tables, and other issues on my side. ARIN and other ip location services all say the correct location. I've filled out the form on google reporting it, and it looked like they fixed it yesterday but it's back to redirecting me to google.am again. What the hell google.

I had this exact thing happen to me a while ago. You don't happen to have googlebar (the unofficial one) installed on Firefox? When I was using that and searching using its search box, I'd notice I'd get redirected to google.am as well. Turns out there was a lovely default that would default your region to Armenia because, hey, that's first alphabetically (at least in its settings)! So to fix it I just went into that extension's prefs and set default country to mine (US).

If it's not that, I've seen some pretty special things happen with location based on what the computer or router is using for DNS.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

Was about to post this, except that's how my old boss who was universally hated would start everything. The "team" thing started to really get on my and my co-worker's nerves, because NOTHING that boss did had anything to do with a team, and everything to do with his own personal empire-building (he actually said that he was "here to build an empire" in my hearing, once). Hard to address people as "team" and be taken seriously with that kind of outlook.

I've actually sent emails out to our team members using the term "Minions". Of course everyone knows it's tongue in cheek... at least that's what I want them to think.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

I find those fairly annoying too, but that's more with me not buying in to the corporate bullshit. Don't try to act like we're a team, jerk. :argh:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

rob_squared posted:

I had this exact thing happen to me a while ago. You don't happen to have googlebar (the unofficial one) installed on Firefox? When I was using that and searching using its search box, I'd notice I'd get redirected to google.am as well. Turns out there was a lovely default that would default your region to Armenia because, hey, that's first alphabetically (at least in its settings)! So to fix it I just went into that extension's prefs and set default country to mine (US).

If it's not that, I've seen some pretty special things happen with location based on what the computer or router is using for DNS.

Nope, running Chrome, and it happens with every device on my network so it's definitely on Google's end. DNS is set to my ISP's so unless they relocated their DNS servers to Armenia I doubt that's the issue.

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 8, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hihifellow posted:

Nope, running Chrome, and it happens with every device on my network so it's definitely on Google's end. DNS is set to my ISP's so unless they relocated their DNS servers to Armenia I doubt that's the issue.

Try using a public DNS like 8.8.8.8

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

ConfusedUs posted:

Try using a public DNS like 8.8.8.8

Actually just tried that, nada

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hihifellow posted:

Actually just tried that, nada

Really? Maybe try flushing your existing DNS cache and try again?

Set DNS
Open CMD
Type: ipconfig /flushdns
Try whatever it is you want to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

myron cope posted:

I find those fairly annoying too, but that's more with me not buying in to the corporate bullshit. Don't try to act like we're a team, jerk. :argh:

See, I don't find those types of terms inherently annoying - in theory we really should be a team, working together to accomplish goals. It's just that they're incredibly disingenuous when they come from a guy whose primary leadership tactics are intimidation and bullying, and who treats the people he manages like they're soldiers and he's the drill sergeant, for example.