Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is the reason that Frieza can get strong enough to go 1 on 1 with post SS God Goku after 4 months of training because he's doing those 4 months on Frieza time?

This explains away all of the only four months doubt of the plot, so I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Aurain posted:

Is the reason that Frieza can get strong enough to go 1 on 1 with post SS God Goku after 4 months of training because he's doing those 4 months on Frieza time?

4 months Freeza time would be like a million years. Obviously he must have found the Hyperbolic Time Fridge.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

Aurain posted:

He's got the highest potential in the series; he's never trained a day in his life yet has a power level close to a super saiyan. It took Goku more than a decade of training to match a Saibaman.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I feel like he's overstating his 'never trained'. Like how would he know how fast he gets strong if he's never trained. It seems more likely he did it for a little bit, saw a massive improvement, went 'well gently caress this that was amazing, that's all I need' and never did it again.

I dunno, that's how I'm going to parse it even though it's a minor thing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Stallion Cabana posted:

I feel like he's overstating his 'never trained'. Like how would he know how fast he gets strong if he's never trained. It seems more likely he did it for a little bit, saw a massive improvement, went 'well gently caress this that was amazing, that's all I need' and never did it again.

I dunno, that's how I'm going to parse it even though it's a minor thing.

What is it with Goku that brings out he weirdest :spergin: about poo poo in this thread? *Character says they've never trained* "well clearly he's lying because otherwise I can't make sense of him growing so strong even though literally all of Dragonball is just constant recycling 'I Need to train to get EVEN STRONGER than my opponent' "

Seriously tin Goku-land as long asyou havea set goal you can train to it in like half a year at most. No idea why you need to do mental gymnastics just so you can make a direct statement a character makes fit into your headcanon.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

mabels big day posted:

Do you think that Vegeta ever thinks about reviving his old friend Nappa with the dragon balls? Do you ever wonder about this for long periods of time

i want vegeta to wish back nappa and raditz, and then they have wacky adventures acclimating to life on earth

and goten gets real excited to hang out with his uncle raditz. who slowly realizes that this 8 year old is hundreds of times stronger than he will ever become

nappa gathers the dragon balls and wishes for hair

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
You know I just thought of a very stupid question, and I just have to share it(I don't expect a serious answer though), what if you summoned both Shenron and Porunga at the same time and somehow convinced them to do the fusion dance, what do you think would happen?(also I just realized this is the silly sort of thing that Heroes would probably pull off if they got the chance)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

drrockso20 posted:

You know I just thought of a very stupid question, and I just have to share it(I don't expect a serious answer though), what if you summoned both Shenron and Porunga at the same time and somehow convinced them to do the fusion dance, what do you think would happen?(also I just realized this is the silly sort of thing that Heroes would probably pull off if they got the chance)

Have you seen Shenrons tiny arms? Do you know how difficult it would be for them to touch fingers?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pft, you think you're a nerd with dumb nerd questions? I want to see Buu absorb Shenron. If he could learn to grant wishes through that then he would truly become a genie.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Testekill posted:

Have you seen Shenrons tiny arms? Do you know how difficult it would be for them to touch fingers?

That's why you give them the Potara Earrings instead.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Also I realized a similar thing could be done with Shadow Shenron and Red Shenron

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It had better result in Swoleron rather than Pro-anarunga

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

his moustache grows longer

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nappa is a confident man who knows he looks good with a chrome dome

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
But how will people know if he goes SSJ?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

The real question is what SS3 Raditz looks like.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Covok posted:

It wasn't just an egg. The egg is literally a reincarnation of the Demon King Piccolo. Ma Junior is Demon King Piccolo in a sense so Kami doesn't die because his other half still lives.

Ah okay. So it's a mystery egg.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

Just picture a hedgehog that isn't a video game character.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Here is all the explanation Revivial of F needs:
"Hey wouldn't it be cool for Freeza to be back? I'll just say he went training and now matches up cause he always was a prodigy anyway"

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Remember cousin Itt from the Addams Family?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

i want vegeta to wish back nappa and raditz, and then they have wacky adventures acclimating to life on earth

and goten gets real excited to hang out with his uncle raditz. who slowly realizes that this 8 year old is hundreds of times stronger than he will ever become

Nappa has to outwit emperor pilaf in the hunt for the dragon balls

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Aurain posted:

Who cares? Well I guess some people care, so I shouldn't say that. But I'm not sure why "I never trained, but now I will and so I'll get a lot stronger" is any more dumb than "We'll get more powerful by both doing this dance and then physically fusing bodies". Not that I'm saying the fusion dance is dumb, but then again this Frieza thing also doesn't strike me as all that stupid.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's a little fun. I just want him to reference his lovely time keeping.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Frieza: "I'm going to train for five minutes!"

*returns 4 months later*

*namek explodes*

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

All Frieza's doing is putting himself through the same training regime the Z fighters did nearly every arc. Pretend that 'four months' was in the hyperbolic time chamber at 10,000x gravity if it helps

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

All Frieza's doing is putting himself through the same training regime the Z fighters did nearly every arc. Pretend that 'four months' was in the hyperbolic time chamber at 10,000x gravity if it helps

If the abridged series does eventually release it in like... 10 years, I would kill for a training montage scene. Set to Eye of the Tiger.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What is it with Goku that brings out he weirdest :spergin: about poo poo in this thread?

One of the big things Dragon Ball Z really introduced to shonen manga was NUMBERS. Like someone said a few pages back, these kind of fandoms tend to attract a certain subset of people whose brains don't work well on some levels. They don't like subtlety, they like binary stuff, and they especially like NUMBERS, because numbers are set and definitive, instead of all the complicated vague poo poo like emotions they have trouble grasping for one reason or another. As far as I can tell, Toriyama didn't just redefine shonen manga, he introduced NUMBERS to it (The only possible earlier example I can think of was 'horsepower engines' used in Astro Boy's Pluto arc, and back then manga was still being created and was nowhere near as extensive), so a lot of DBZ fans just ignore the actual point of power levels (they're a crutch that can't accurately measure fighters, ie they're bullshit), because that makes things 'vague' and 'requiring understanding' again, while NUMBERS doesn't.

It's basically the exact same thing that happened when Neon Genesis Evangelion came out and its showrunner wanted to take the concept of 'a proper Japanese woman should be respectful and submissive' and decided to make a point by going 'Okay, here's that desire taken to its logical end point, a woman with absolutely no will whatsoever, she'll do whatever you want without question'. What he WANTED to show was that something like this would be incredibly disturbing, but he fundamentally misunderstood that the people he was trying to make a point to did not have, in classic Dunning/Krueger fashion, the capacity to understand this, and instead more or less just created a whole new concept for otaku to jack off to. So despite the whole point of Power Levels, a lot of DBZ fans just keep going back to them, because they're NUMBERS, and NUMBERS are solid, unchanging, and easily understood. Who cares about the confusing things like 'author intent'?

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 6, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually, both numbers and rei ayanami are insanely cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also frankly i'd rather read a thousand power level debates before a death of the author circlejerk fest where fate/zero is clearly about the war in iraq

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Endorph posted:

also frankly i'd rather read a thousand power level debates before a death of the author circlejerk fest where fate/zero is clearly about the war in iraq

That's just a fundamental issue of fandom, rooted in the same issues that spawns NUMBERS. Instead of debating, people get it into their heads that if they try and wield their assessment and opinions like a weapon, they'll 'get some sort of real life Xbox achievement', as another thread on this forum put it. It's often tied to the fact that these people don't have anything else to define their lives by, so they define it by the entertainment they consume and hence treat anything that isn't worshipful dick sucking as a personal attack on them (See: Gamergate).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cornwind Evil posted:

(See: Gamergate).

I'd really rather see Goku do cruel things to his family, tbth.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

BlitzBlast posted:

Serious option:

Semi-serious option:

Comedy options:

WTF option:

(Not sure if this is supposed to be Raditz, but it popped up and I just had to include it.)

DBZ fan art is actually a little bit higher quality than I expected, although browsing the bad fanart thread a little while back may have affected my view of what constitutes good and bad drawings.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 6, 2015

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cornwind Evil posted:

One of the big things Dragon Ball Z really introduced to shonen manga was NUMBERS. Like someone said a few pages back, these kind of fandoms tend to attract a certain subset of people whose brains don't work well on some levels. They don't like subtlety, they like binary stuff, and they especially like NUMBERS, because numbers are set and definitive, instead of all the complicated vague poo poo like emotions they have trouble grasping for one reason or another. As far as I can tell, Toriyama didn't just redefine shonen manga, he introduced NUMBERS to it (The only possible earlier example I can think of was 'horsepower engines' used in Astro Boy's Pluto arc, and back then manga was still being created and was nowhere near as extensive), so a lot of DBZ fans just ignore the actual point of power levels (they're a crutch that can't accurately measure fighters, ie they're bullshit), because that makes things 'vague' and 'requiring understanding' again, while NUMBERS doesn't.

It's basically the exact same thing that happened when Neon Genesis Evangelion came out and its showrunner wanted to take the concept of 'a proper Japanese woman should be respectful and submissive' and decided to make a point by going 'Okay, here's that desire taken to its logical end point, a woman with absolutely no will whatsoever, she'll do whatever you want without question'. What he WANTED to show was that something like this would be incredibly disturbing, but he fundamentally misunderstood that the people he was trying to make a point to did not have, in classic Dunning/Krueger fashion, the capacity to understand this, and instead more or less just created a whole new concept for otaku to jack off to. So despite the whole point of Power Levels, a lot of DBZ fans just keep going back to them, because they're NUMBERS, and NUMBERS are solid, unchanging, and easily understood. Who cares about the confusing things like 'author intent'?

Man you're really really angry about made up numbers about how strong people are in a made up show.

I like talking about power levels because I think Frieza's bluffing on Namek and it's cool that he does that.

"My power level in this form is 1,000,000"

"Holy poo poo, so I just Zenkai'd from sub 60,000 to between 530,000 and 1,000,000?"

I mean the conclusion is, either power levels are bullshit, or Frieza was using them to intimidate opponents he was taking relatively seriously. I like the latter because it means that Frieza actually thinks these guys might be a threat and is completely in line with the guy who'll ruthlessly murder an entire race because of the mere perception that they might be a threat.

It's also interesting how this changes when he hits final form and actually goes easy on Goku.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I mean the conclusion is, either power levels are bullshit

It's this one. It's always been this one. The numbers don't add up because power levels are loving bullshit. They don't work. People are angry about it because it gets loving annoying to uselessly talk about. There's no goddamn point.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

WickedHate posted:

It's this one. It's always been this one. The numbers don't add up because power levels are loving bullshit. They don't work. People are angry about it because it gets loving annoying to uselessly talk about. There's no goddamn point.

Well SOMEBODY is compensating for a low power level.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Someone brought up that scenario where Piccolo fused with Demon King Piccolo to fight Super Buu in Supersonic Warriors, and that was pretty cool.

But the weird thing is that you have to fight Demon King Piccolo before that. Shouldn't he have, like, a power level of 100 or something? :psyduck:

Otherwise, I guess it's just that

WickedHate posted:

The numbers don't add up because power levels are loving bullshit.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I wasn't angry about powerlevels and I'm not really entirely sure how it came up, and I'm also not entirely sure how my post was worth the scorn of 'being weird' when I just said Frezia probably was overestimating himself when he said he absolutely never once trained. I mean, it kind of goes against the other stuff Toriyama has done; if he is still saying Gohan has the potential to surpass Goku and Vegeta- which it seemed like was the case from some of the Revival of F descriptions of the characters- but doesn't because he's a peaceful soul who never trains and hates fighting, why isn't his 'prodigy' self still like as strong as they are or something? Plus, fighting is a way to get stronger; so unless he had literally never gotten out of his Hoveround until Nail showed up, he had to have at least fought once or twice and gotten stronger from it.

I mean, Frezia overestimated himself fairly consistently in the saga that has his name.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 6, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i'm looking forward to seeing piccolo get owned again

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Stallion Cabana posted:

so unless he had literally never gotten out of his Hoveround until Nail showed up,

Well when faced with the attack force of one of the(potentially) strongest species in existence he sat in his chair pointed at a planet and blew it up so yeah i can see that being true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
People get pissed about power level debates because power levels as a concept was abandoned after Frieza, and yet debates raged on even up to the year 2015. The arguments were old then, they're old now, and some people just can't accept that power levels are meaningless.

Me, I'm more irritated that Krillin looks like a basic police officer. Dude should be running the precinct.

• Locked thread