Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Schpyder posted:

Can someone explain to me why I'd want a baking steel over a baking stone? All I can really see are downsides: weight, corrosion, lack of moisture wicking from stoneware, possible flavor effects due to rusting, which is accelerated by high temperatures, and so on.

If it's seasoned properly, rust, corrosion etc cease to be issues.

The benefit is much higher heat capacity. It's the heat stored in the stone and radiated (and otherwise transferred) to the pizza that makes it useful. Steel has like 5 times the heat capacity of a baking stone, and is thus far more effective.

http://modernistcuisine.com/shop/baking-steel/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Schpyder posted:

Can someone explain to me why I'd want a baking steel over a baking stone? All I can really see are downsides: weight, corrosion, lack of moisture wicking from stoneware, possible flavor effects due to rusting, which is accelerated by high temperatures, and so on.

Everything Flash said, plus the steel is highly unlikely to ever crack.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

BraveUlysses posted:

I already want a baking steel, this one just has an extra feature. I really, really don't want a standalone griddle.

If you don't want a standalone commercial griddle to cook on, you don't belong in this forum.

No, but really, don't buy that thing for $160, just get it made by someone locally.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I want it but won't get it any time soon. I definitely can't justify it at that price at all.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just ordered the ⅜" version of the one I linked. Gonna pizza so hard.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

.Z. posted:

Everything Flash said, plus the steel is highly unlikely to ever crack.

My poor, poor stone.

:(

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

My poor, poor stone.

:p I went through 6 stones before I found my current hunk of metal: http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P14P3-Pizza-14-inch/dp/B0000E2V3X

The baking steel stuff hadn't been available at the time.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Schpyder posted:

I think it is superior for crusts and it also does well as a cold sink to do dough work and other things on. Until I get my dream cooktop that has a 48" griddle, having a giant flat block of consistent temperature is awesome.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Bob Morales posted:

My poor, poor stone.

First time I used my cheapo CI grill pan:

It was outside the return window, too.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there anything I need to watch out for in buying no-brand replacement foodsaver / vacuum seal bags? Was looking at rolls like this.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I use the Uline jumbo rolls and I've been quite happy with them compared to the Foodsaver-branded rolls. They're a lot cheaper up here anyway, though shipping may kill the deal if you don't shop at Uline ;)

http://www.uline.com/BL_5595/FoodSaver-Bags

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Hed posted:

Is there anything I need to watch out for in buying no-brand replacement foodsaver / vacuum seal bags? Was looking at rolls like this.
I've been using the VacMaster brand bags from Amazon for a while, they're just as good as the FoodSaver brand bags or the ones linked from Uline while being cheaper (and Prime eligible).

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Hed posted:

Amazon has them on Prime, I can vouch for quality:

http://www.amazon.com/Rolls-Vacuum-Sealer-Embossed-Seal/dp/B0052BOEXG

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bob Morales posted:

My poor, poor stone.

WU-TANG CLAN AINT NUTTIN TO gently caress WIT

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
^ LOL

Thanks guys for the bag recos.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Cuisinart 9 Cup Food Processor is on sale for $99. I do not own a food processor. Should I get this?

e: the OP says to go for a bigger one but I am a mid 20s single man goon so I cook 95% of my meals for one person.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sure go for it

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Go for it. Kenji recommends the same line, but the 11-cup size only because it's bigger. I'm in the same position as you, and I'm happy with an 8-cup because how often do you need a half-gallon of pesto?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Go for it. Kenji recommends the same line, but the 11-cup size only because it's bigger. I'm in the same position as you, and I'm happy with an 8-cup because how often do you need a half-gallon of pesto?

The 14 cup one has been useful for kneading soft doughs with the dough blade, but if you don't want that feature then I'm sure a small size would be fine.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Anne Whateley posted:

We often make our pesto in really large batches, freezing the rest in chunks/ice cube trays for later. The Costco bag of pine nuts is the only decently priced pine nut option out there anymore and otherwise I am just going to keep eating handfuls of pine nuts...

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Any thoughts on this cookware set: https://www.cuisinart.com/products/cookware/professional_series/89-13.html

Lowest price on a few websites seems to be about $250, woot.com has it today for $180.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Glambags posted:

Any thoughts on this cookware set: https://www.cuisinart.com/products/cookware/professional_series/89-13.html

Lowest price on a few websites seems to be about $250, woot.com has it today for $180.

I dislike glass lids, but yeah, that's a perfectly fine set.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Teeter posted:

Cuisinart 9 Cup Food Processor is on sale for $99. I do not own a food processor. Should I get this?

e: the OP says to go for a bigger one but I am a mid 20s single man goon so I cook 95% of my meals for one person.

:v:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Glambags posted:

I feel like it's better to spend a bit more on a smaller number of pots and pans than to get a big set, I know that my two All-Clad pans have blown my old Cuisinart ones out of the water and I can do most of my cooking in them. Still, for $180 that's a pretty good deal.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
The MultiClad Pro series is much nicer than the Professional series IMO. There are often deals on the MC sets.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That's weird, the listing says it's the Professional, but there are two photos. One of the photos is the Professional set and the other photo is the Multiclad set.

It seems fine but be aware that the Professional set is the one with disc bottoms.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
I have the multiclad pro set and the larger saute pan bottom warped, it's convex now and doesnt make good contact with the burner all the way around. It has a lifetime warranty but some reviews are saying quality is going down so i'm up in the air between trying to make them send me a new one or just buying a better one

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
What do you have to lose asking for a replacement?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

I have the multiclad pro set and the larger saute pan bottom warped, it's convex now and doesnt make good contact with the burner all the way around. It has a lifetime warranty but some reviews are saying quality is going down so i'm up in the air between trying to make them send me a new one or just buying a better one

I have the same set and my large saute pan is also slightly warped. Will they actually replace that?! Need to see if I can find the receipt!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

All of you people that can't cook on poo poo rear end standard restaurant fare, like warped as gently caress aluminum pots, and Vollrath's finest $5 stainless steel pans. You all suck at food and should just learn how to cook, and stop wasting money on All-Clad pans, because it isn't going to make you any better.

P.S., I'm trolling you. But seriously, learn how to cook, that tri-ply pan isn't going to sear any better than this 10in carbon steel I'm using, and that only cost me 20bux!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I always imagine Chef has an eyepatch and a knife scar on his face from his tours of duty in the restaurant business

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

All of you people that can't cook on poo poo rear end standard restaurant fare, like warped as gently caress aluminum pots, and Vollrath's finest $5 stainless steel pans. You all suck at food and should just learn how to cook, and stop wasting money on All-Clad pans, because it isn't going to make you any better.

P.S., I'm trolling you. But seriously, learn how to cook, that tri-ply pan isn't going to sear any better than this 10in carbon steel I'm using, and that only cost me 20bux!

If they warp their pans and must suffer with typical poo poo-tier electric ranges I can see it being an issue. The answer still isn't to keep buying expensive as hell pans though. Unless you want the prettiest pans, then just buy 2 sets. One for display and one to actually cook with.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I always imagine Chef has an eyepatch and a knife scar on his face from his tours of duty in the restaurant business

All the scars are on my hands.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

induction brah

(I've learned to stop running water over my hot pans)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 11, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Welp, after 4 faithful years, my Cuisinart electric kettle started growing some weird corrosion in the metal. I think there might be a leak somewhere in some seam.

So anyone want to recommend a kettle that has variable temperature control?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Most zojirushis and fake zojirushis do both 190 and 212 degrees.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I know this is asked often enough and I don't wanna get this thread back into a Vitamix circlejerk, but I need a blender recommendation for my mom.

She can't afford a Vitamix and I cannot afford to buy her one. She wants a blender for making smoothies basically. Any "cheap" blenders that can do this reliably? Cheap is in quptes cause I realize spending $150 or so may be the lowest I wanna go for a good reliable smoothie making blender.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jewce posted:

I know this is asked often enough and I don't wanna get this thread back into a Vitamix circlejerk, but I need a blender recommendation for my mom.

She can't afford a Vitamix and I cannot afford to buy her one. She wants a blender for making smoothies basically. Any "cheap" blenders that can do this reliably? Cheap is in quptes cause I realize spending $150 or so may be the lowest I wanna go for a good reliable smoothie making blender.

Ninja or Nutribullet

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Steve Yun posted:

Welp, after 4 faithful years, my Cuisinart electric kettle started growing some weird corrosion in the metal. I think there might be a leak somewhere in some seam.

So anyone want to recommend a kettle that has variable temperature control?

Are you sure it isn't hard water build-up? If it looks kind of like salt, boil some diluted vinegar in it to clean it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Jewce posted:

The 1400W Oster Versa is ~$175 and it's a pretty good blender from the reviews I've seen. There's also a 1100W version that's ~140.

• Locked thread