Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

it seems my headcanon was true all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
How did he possibly recruit Hironobu to do this?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gologle posted:

Recruit? This is archive footage. :v:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gologle posted:

They've gotten Miyamoto and Kojima in the past. Don't ask me how.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oh wait that's actually Sakaguchi?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Motto posted:

They've gotten Miyamoto and Kojima in the past. Don't ask me how.
They also once got Gabe Newell to dress as a Beatle with them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I would unironically buy a Sakaguchi hip hop album.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Oh wait that's actually Sakaguchi?

He was in San Francisco at GDC in order to pick up his lifetime achievement award:

The sketch was shown at the GDC award show. It's good that he's taking his controversial departure from Squaresoft in good humor. It took about a decade but he's successfully transitioned into mobile gaming with Terra Battle.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The only thing I don't like about Terra Battle is that it means Mistwalker has no financial incentive to make Hip Hop Tale.

And if Sakaguchi's dream actually is to make rap albums, well, the Katamari guy's true aspiration was just as weird, so :v:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Please tell me the Katamari guy's true aspiration

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Man, it just blows me away how chill Uematsu and Sakaguchi are. If you've never been to a Distant Worlds show, go to one and watch Uematsu have the time of his life joining in and partying with the orchestra, hell at one point he conducted the audience in a sing along for One Winged Angel at the show I went to.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Quit games to make children's playgrounds

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That's sick

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

honestly that's exactly what i'd expect from the katamari guy

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

TARDISman posted:

Man, it just blows me away how chill Uematsu and Sakaguchi are. If you've never been to a Distant Worlds show, go to one and watch Uematsu have the time of his life joining in and partying with the orchestra, hell at one point he conducted the audience in a sing along for One Winged Angel at the show I went to.

I've always wanted to go to Distant Worlds, but it only comes to my city in December, at a time when I'm strapped for cash thanks to Christmas.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was under the impression that he always designed children's playgrounds, Katamari was just his foray into games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

It explains so much, actually.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

This is wonderful. :allears:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sunning posted:

It took about a decade but he's successfully transitioned into mobile gaming with Terra Battle.

I'm having a great time with The Last Story, so I hope he doesn't go exclusively mobile from now on.

Unlike FFXIII, where the action, exploration, and story are woven together about as well as Tidus' outfit, you're actually asked to do things in this game, like escape from guards in a bustling city, or sneak through a ship by drawing guards away from their post and ambushing them when they're alone.

It feels most similar to Final Fantasy IX, both in aesthetics and story. It doesn't hurt that it's one of the best looking JRPGs on the Wii, and in my opinion one of the best looking from that generation. It's also genuinely funny, both in the writing and how you're able to mess about, like firing prank bananas at people in inappropriate moments, or just smacking your head on a sign when you walk into it.

The soundtrack is also by Nobuo Uematsu. That's all that needs to be said, really.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Sunning posted:

It took about a decade but he's successfully transitioned into mobile gaming with Terra Battle.

The game's also a nostalgic return to the good old days of Squaresoft games not being released in Europe. It's still only out in some countries over here.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Any of you ever used a Machinist in FF12 IZJS? I'm debating making Balthier either one of those or a swashbuckler Hunter. I've seen videos of Machinists absolutely wrecking poo poo, but also the entire GameFAQs board has decided the class is no better than poo poo (except in Weak Mode) and can't possibly keep up in the lategame, so I have no idea anymore.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Harrow posted:

Any of you ever used a Machinist in FF12 IZJS? I'm debating making Balthier either one of those or a swashbuckler Hunter. I've seen videos of Machinists absolutely wrecking poo poo, but also the entire GameFAQs board has decided the class is no better than poo poo (except in Weak Mode) and can't possibly keep up in the lategame, so I have no idea anymore.

I think it will work out fine, just as guns did in FF12 vanilla. The issue with the GameFAQs board is that everyone seems to evaluate classes based on maxed stats/level 99, which just isn't representative of what actually playing the game is like. Gun damage doesn't depend on stats, and so if you do max out your characters guns will likely do less damage. But the best guns will make a character competitive damage-wise with other characters through the end of the game (and I believe they are boosted by Berserk and Bravery). Plus, they can hit a bunch of elemental weaknesses, which can easily let them keep up with or surpass a lot of other weapons, even end-game.

Before someone chimes in, Balthier's gun animation is slower than other characters, but the difference is really minor and not worth worrying about unless you're a compulsive min-maxer.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

Machinists are pretty good until basically endgame, so you'll be fine. Even then they can still stand toe to toe against most other classes for most bosses due to elemental ammo.

Fran is objectively the best suited to be a Machinist because she has the poorest stats, but basically everyone does the job equally well.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

ApplesandOranges posted:

Machinists are pretty good until basically endgame, so you'll be fine. Even then they can still stand toe to toe against most other classes for most bosses due to elemental ammo.

Fran is objectively the best suited to be a Machinist because she has the poorest stats, but basically everyone does the job equally well.

This is true in my experience. With dark ammo + Berserk + the accessory that gives 2x damage at critical HP, my Machinist Penelo did probably half of the total damage when fighting Yiazmat. Fire ammo + Oil is excellent versus anything susceptible, since Oil is a crazygood 3x damage. The best gun actually does deal a lot of damage if you take the time to get it, enough to be competitive with out top-tier weapons even at level 99.

Machinist also gets some time magic, so by late game I was using my Machinist for time spells more than my actual Time Mage.

For the sake of comparison, I also had a Hunter (Ashe) and felt like the class was a consistent underperformer. The item lores were nice but redundant with Machinist having them. Ashe's DPS could never keep up with others, and especially not with my Knight Balthier (but Knight DPS is crazy). The Danjuro L was funny with its 75% instant death proc, but didn't help her be useful at most bosses.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Machinist owns actually.

Yeah they're stronger in weak mode, but guns are awesome regardless. Especially since they're very good at stacking bonuses since they do defense ignoring damage.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A first look at Mevius Final Fantasy for mobile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRIswTUQHrk

Game is giving me Lightning Returns vibes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I didn't mind Tidus or Vaan, but it looks like Final Fantasy has reached the point where even I can't stand the costumes any more.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I spent way too much time filling out that open-ended question in the Square-Enix survey they tweeted out. No one will read it, but I hope someone does.

The gist of it was that I hate the way they handle re-releases of old games (90% mobile) and it sucks I can't buy old games like Valkyrie Profile on PSN, or Live A Live on the eShop. I also said an FF7 remake would have to be redesigned from the ground up to be acceptable by modern standards, so yeah it WOULD be too expensive, lol.

The one game I wished for in the future was a new Chrono game :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I sort of respect their dedication to equal-gender stripper outfits.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I told them I want a FFV prequel and SD3 released in the US.

I won't get either but I can dream, damnit.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Machine posted:

I spent way too much time filling out that open-ended question in the Square-Enix survey they tweeted out. No one will read it, but I hope someone does.

The gist of it was that I hate the way they handle re-releases of old games (90% mobile) and it sucks I can't buy old games like Valkyrie Profile on PSN, or Live A Live on the eShop. I also said an FF7 remake would have to be redesigned from the ground up to be acceptable by modern standards, so yeah it WOULD be too expensive, lol.

The one game I wished for in the future was a new Chrono game :allears:

Can you post a link? I can't find it on twitter.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I hope the different costumes are something you can pick and aren't job related because good god so many of them look loving atrocious.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah and the dragon at the end is literally Zaltys.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Hm, the main character seems to be wearing a lot more than he was in the earlier screenshots. He's found pants and everything!

I almost wish they had retained the original design because the meltdown on Neogaf was hilarious.

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

Can you post a link? I can't find it on twitter.

Here's the link to the survey -- http://t.co/X38kOFmngc

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

billy cuts posted:

Here's the link to the survey -- http://t.co/X38kOFmngc

Thank you!

Come on SE, bring over those untranslated Dragon Quest games.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kyrosiris posted:

I told them I want a FFV prequel and SD3 released in the US.

I won't get either but I can dream, damnit.

A game about the 12 legendary heroes (with the 12 legendary weapons) fighting Enuo? Or a game about the Dawn Warriors' epic road trip to defeat Exdeath the first time?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The only thing I want from Square right now is Brave Fencer Musashi on PSN, why the gently caress can they not do this in the US?

Also if we're getting DQ Heroes why not a FF Musou game too? That's just a crazy out there idea though. Really I just want Brave Fencer since I lost my old disc copy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also if we're getting DQ Heroes why not a FF Musou game too? That's just a crazy out there idea though. Really I just want Brave Fencer since I lost my old disc copy.

I would buy this if and only if there was a mode where all the non-officer soldiers were Sephiroths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Brave Fencer Musashi might be in a weird place in the US, since it was published by Square Electronic Arts, rather than just Square. Not sure what all games that particular joint venture published besides that, though, or if any of them are on PSN.