Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Sire Oblivion posted:

When I first got these things I was happy there was more to do with the Miis since I had beaten Find Mii 2 and all that, but jesus this became a chore with my terrible OCD. At this point I only care for the puzzles, there's some Plaza tickets I'm missing but unless it's for the land conquering game I don't give a poo poo. I've basically done everything for the rest of them and what I'm missing is way too poopsocky for me to actually get done.

What happens when you reach 10 million in that game? Just everyone you fight is the same, forever? I'm at 6.3mil now and it's the home stretch. As for the others... it pisses me off that I have to get to the final floor for the hat in the mansion, but that'll come.... eventually. Also the last ten goddamn flower breeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

I've only played Dawn of Sorrow on the DS, but it was one of my favorite games on the system so I would recommend that one. Can't speak for the other ones though.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Soul Glo posted:

Play this one last. I remember it being the most difficult, IIRC. Plus it's better than Portrait of Ruin, and you wanna go out on a high note.

This is good advice. That one is significantly harder then the others and should be played last. Even doing them all in a row you might be shocked at the difficulty wall. The first boss is brutal.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

That loving crab

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
That crab owns.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You have to hit its weak point for MASSIVE DAMAGE.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ah man, you guys got me jonesing to replay Aria of Sorrow now, but that means digging out my Lite and charging it. And that's effort.

The soul system owns. Even if the drop rate on souls sucked and most of them were useless, but being able to do things like have your protagonist summon cats at will totally ruled.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I took my 3ds outside in my bag for a day later that night I had a streetpass link in lbw. That motherfucker is prime and kicked my head in.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oi, I'm having an internet connection issue with both my 3DS'. I haven't changed anything and they just suddenly stopped working. All the other access points in my house are working fine, anybody have an idea of what's going on? I've tried to refresh the signal a few times.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Flopsy posted:

Oi, I'm having an internet connection issue with both my 3DS'. I haven't changed anything and they just suddenly stopped working. All the other access points in my house are working fine, anybody have an idea of what's going on? I've tried to refresh the signal a few times.

I had this poo poo happen with my Wii U. Out of nowhere it stopped connecting to wifi. I ended up having to turn off DHCP and assign it a static IP address. I don't know if that is something that'll work for the 3DS or not but you might give it a try!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Flopsy posted:

Same thing just happened to me, but I tried to test the connection and it went through the network just fine, looking it up it seems Nintendo's site is down so I'm assuming something went wrong on their end.

Try using the web browser, if that works then it's them, not you.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
The joys of living in Australia: Being able to walk into a store and buy a Nu3DS XL charging Dock. Now it takes up less space on my horrible cluttered desk. Also picked up Ridge Racer 3D for 8 bucks and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I heard a problem people had with it is it has a lot of recycled tracks from previous games, but as someone who never had a Playstation during Ridge Racers Heyday, that's not a problem for me.

I like cheap games Y'all.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Okay, so the New 3DS is completely sold out here in the Philippines as well as in Singapore. I'm thinking that I could purchase units online and have them shipped to a Filipino shipping company in North America. My understanding is that Amazon and Nintendo are having a fight, though, so is there some place I can order N3DSes online using Filipino billing information?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Argue posted:

Okay, so the New 3DS is completely sold out here in the Philippines as well as in Singapore. I'm thinking that I could purchase units online and have them shipped to a Filipino shipping company in North America. My understanding is that Amazon and Nintendo are having a fight, though, so is there some place I can order N3DSes online using Filipino billing information?

If you find out the prices, someone on SA could do it for you.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Same thing just happened to me, but I tried to test the connection and it went through the network just fine, looking it up it seems Nintendo's site is down so I'm assuming something went wrong on their end.

Try using the web browser, if that works then it's them, not you.

Waited an hour and retried, everything seems fine now. I think the system had a hiccup or something.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cp91886 posted:

This is my first 3ds, never had a DS. Which of the DS Castlevania's is the best one?

Order of Ecclesia is not just the best DS Castlevania, it's the best Castlevania period

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Looper posted:

Order of Ecclesia is not just the best DS Castlevania, it's the best Castlevania period

A pickle shot

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I quite like this Gunvolt demo. Looks like there's lots to do and play around with. How much component farming is there in the full game?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Fix posted:

I quite like this Gunvolt demo. Looks like there's lots to do and play around with. How much component farming is there in the full game?

I don't have a good answer for how much effort it would take to get absolutely everything that way, but if you mean in the sense of "mandatory" I found it possible to get through basically any situation in the game with a moderate amount of skill, there's no actual need to grind.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sounds good to me. I'm not necessarily interested in getting them all, rather than there being a continuous sense of advancement with what I find without having to go back and play the same levels a dozen times for rare drops or whatever.

The 3D on this thing is pretty great, though it's the first game I've played on the new 3ds that has managed to make me both eject a cartridge and hit the power button to the point of losing progress. I feel like this game makes me hold this thing weird.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fix posted:

I quite like this Gunvolt demo. Looks like there's lots to do and play around with. How much component farming is there in the full game

As much as you want there to be; you can beat the game without doing any. Also, even if you want to unlock all the upgrades, you usually have the choice between completing a (sometimes really, really hard) sidequest for a guaranteed component or farming for a random drop of it. I really liked Gunvolt but keep in mind it's more of a score attack game than something like Mega Man; the environments are sometimes really cool but enemy and weapon variety are lacking compared to MMX and stuff. The levels are for the most part really thoughtfully designed, though, and there's a lot of reply value to be had in replaying them and trying to improve your score if that's the sort of thing youre into . Especially for its price I think it's a really good game

edit: oh yeah, if you learn the mechanics well it's possible to basically make yourself invincible if you play patiently but it comes at a big cost to your score. It's the kind of game that you can scrape through pretty easily but has a high ceiling for skill

goferchan fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 6, 2015

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I require a low skill threshold, and a continuous assault on my interest centers. It is sad, but it is true. This seems to fit the bill, anyway.

Like I said, I was having a good time with the demo until I accidentally turned the machine off.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Any good indie titles coming out soon?

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I got some New Leaf Streetpasses yesterday, so I get to visit people's showroom houses. But then, if they change their houses I have to Streetpass them again to see the updates? I guess what I'm asking is, if you Streetpass someone once, does their appearance and stuff forever update via some Internet magic, or is it just a never-changing snapshot in time?

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Grass Effect posted:

What happens when you reach 10 million in that game? Just everyone you fight is the same, forever? I'm at 6.3mil now and it's the home stretch. As for the others... it pisses me off that I have to get to the final floor for the hat in the mansion, but that'll come.... eventually. Also the last ten goddamn flower breeds.

You max out one short of 10 million, and then skip over that game from then on after you get all the achievements and have just the last five in a row guy to beat. Nowadays I only do puzzles and flowers, and the flowers are because I want all the colors.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Exioce posted:

I got some New Leaf Streetpasses yesterday, so I get to visit people's showroom houses. But then, if they change their houses I have to Streetpass them again to see the updates? I guess what I'm asking is, if you Streetpass someone once, does their appearance and stuff forever update via some Internet magic, or is it just a never-changing snapshot in time?

You have to wait until you streetpass with them again.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Astro7x posted:

I tried this, but no luck getting street passes. Anything I could be doing wrong?

I've never been able to get home pass stuff to work and I have no idea why

Make sure in internet sharing you set the name right

Click the wifi options button to get that screen to pop up

Edit: another thing is the wifi forward needs internet access. On mine in the drop-down I select Thunderbolt Ethernet and then click the sharing icon to start. You can tell if it worked by deleting all your wifi connections on your 3DS and then it will say it has internet w/ no wifi configured and that you're near a Nintendo Zone. If that shows up you're good to go to run the script.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 6, 2015

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Nethilia posted:

You max out one short of 10 million, and then skip over that game from then on after you get all the achievements and have just the last five in a row guy to beat. Nowadays I only do puzzles and flowers, and the flowers are because I want all the colors.

Get the gently caress out of my head.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
There's no more gamers.txt thread but I'd like to share this cautionary tale of why you have to stop arguing about Paper Mario: Sticker Star:

It all started when someone said they'd rather play Rapelay than Sticker Star and became... that.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Is it worth picking up a N3DS just for the games available on the system? I don't have any long commutes and I don't travel a lot, so the fact that it's portable isn't really a selling-point to me. Probably seems ridiculous (or maybe not? I've always had the impression that people get a 3DS because they need something on the go, and the alternative is... well... the Vita), but I've always kind of wanted one, and with the recent release of Monster Hunter 4 it seems a lot more attractive.

SilverObul
Apr 19, 2008

Cockragon

Kevin Bacon posted:

Is it worth picking up a N3DS just for the games available on the system? I don't have any long commutes and I don't travel a lot, so the fact that it's portable isn't really a selling-point to me. Probably seems ridiculous (or maybe not? I've always had the impression that people get a 3DS because they need something on the go, and the alternative is... well... the Vita), but I've always kind of wanted one, and with the recent release of Monster Hunter 4 it seems a lot more attractive.

I treat handhelds more like a book. It is easy to crash anywhere in my house and play (couch, recliner, desk, bed, etc..) The fact I can bring it along with me to work or travel is a bonus not the focus.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kevin Bacon posted:

I play my 3DS and Vita exclusively at home since I live in a place where you have to drive everywhere you go. 3DS is great because it has a lot of games you cannot play anywhere else, not because it goes wherever you go, though that is a plus.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kevin Bacon posted:

Sure it is! There's plenty of fully-fledged games on the thing that will make you forget you're playing a handheld. It's not like the Gameboy days, where all the games were automatically a lot shorter to "fit" them on the handheld. The 3DS doesn't need to "fit" anything. It just has great games!

Plus, it's super comfortable to play it while lounging on the couch, or reclining in bed, or wherever! You don't have to only play it when you're out of the house, though it's great for that too. I play it on the bus, for example.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kevin Bacon posted:

Yes absolutely worth it. I really only play my 3ds at home and even then really only in bed. I do bring it places to get streetpasses, but still mostly play at home.

The 3ds has a large amount of games you can't play anywhere else, the new 3ds especially ups the ante with twin stick controls, a web browser that lets you watch 3d videos on YouTube and plex, and a play experience in the 3d screen that simply can't be had anywhere else.

Let's be honest, the Vita hardware is faster than the 3ds, it has a crazy high rez screen, capacitive touch, a better twin stick setup, on paper it's clearly the better hardware.

The 3ds still wins in most people's minds because it provides gameplay experiences you can't have anywhere else, and the 3d effect, especially on the new 3ds is mindblowing.

The 3ds is also helped by the vitas large amount of crappy PS3 ports that don't run well despite its power.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So new 3DS XL doesn't come with an AC adapter? How are these things powered normally, by disposable batteries or what?

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

My brother gave me half of a rock and told me to wait for you in the woods...

fleshweasel posted:

So new 3DS XL doesn't come with an AC adapter? How are these things powered normally, by disposable batteries or what?

The way the gentleman at Gamestop described it to me was that it would cost about 60 dollars extra to include a charger, due to packaging, shipping, and manufacturing. Didn't make too much sense to me, but I decided not to argue.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

fleshweasel posted:

It's a rechargeable battery. You have to buy the AC adapter separately if you don't already have one from an older 3DS or DSi.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

fleshweasel posted:

No, li-ion just like most consumer electronics. the nu3ds doesn't come with an AC adapter both as a cost-cutting measure and because the install base for 3DS is already pretty large, meaning most people who are interested in the 3DS already have a charger.

Unfortunately for new adopters this means tracking down a charger for your DS separately from the system.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Order of Ecclesia, hands loving down. But yeah, get them all and play through.

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Should I get the official AC adapter, or a USB cable, or what? I'm sorry if this has been discussed to death already.