Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Do your relations with a country affect them being in your religious league? I've got an alliance with Bohemia, we're Friendly, they just got their rear end kicked by the Catholic Emperor, but they won't stay in my drat Protestant League!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

quote:

- Max ruler age is now 40.
- Max heir age is now 30.

So my ruler got busy at 10?

E: I suppose it could be a younger brother or something.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Holy wow. EU4 just keeps getting better and better and showing no signs of stopping. The women in history DLC is a loving brilliant idea.

Also, from the patchnotes, there's now a random national ideas option, which owns bones! Too bad there's no idea saving, but maybe in a future patch?

vyelkin posted:

They're actually deleting all the paradoxforums.txt responses to that thread, which is simultaneously encouraging and disappointing for those of us who like to read the crazy.

Eh, the crazy isn't nearly as valuable as letting the shitheads know their opinions do not, in fact, have equal value to everyone else's. Plus I suppose one of the aims here may be to make the PDX fandom at least a little less of a sausagefest, and having virulent misogyny run rampant in the thread on that initiative would be, uh, unhelpful.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

paradox.txt posted:

Great. Are you going to make a "Men in History" DLC as well? Unfortunately, the last men's day was conveniently ignored, so this time it shouldn't, right?

followed by a Wizburn

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I looked up Mexico(province)'s history and it's saying Occupied by Spain in 1790, annexed by Spain 1791 etc...

It's only 1568 :psyduck:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

StashAugustine posted:

You guys did that just to get that reaction, right? :v:

You know the drill: historical accuracy, betrayal, tore away my ability to feel human, and so on.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Actually are the female advisor portraits compatible with the other advisor skins? ~my immersion~

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Breton Colombia gobbled up my colonies upon Brittany's annexation, weird.

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Some asshole told me to get fucked and eat shit so I got fucked and ate shit
Hey errybody,

Finally learning and enjoying crusader kings 2, so i just got a quick question for you EUIV vets:

As I started with CK2, would EUIV be nice and easy to pick up? And I really enjoy the character system of the game, so is EUIV less personal with just nations/commanders ? I feel like I would enjoy the game less because of the time period and dealing with whole nations?

Any thoughts on this before I consider picking it up?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Cowcatcher posted:

followed by a Wizburn

Yeah, it's:

quote:

Great. Are you going to make a "Men in History" DLC as well? Unfortunately, the last men's day was conveniently ignored, so this time it shouldn't, right?

wiz posted:

I think I have just the thing you want. Here's a link to the store page.
:iceburn:

followed by:

:cry:

quote:

The hell is that supposed to mean? I bought the game.
I don't remember that many specific characters and events for kings, male advisors etc. Because we play as nations - isn't that the whole point of EUIV? So what kind of a double standard is that?
The next men's day is the 19th November. I hope to see specific events and male characters.

There are lots of white knighting suck-ups here that believe this nonsense, but I'm not one of them.
The 19th November I'm speaking about.

11/19/15 never forget :cryingman:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
and tore away my ability to feel my penis

On an "actual problems" note, I just noticed that the patchnotes for the big gender equality patch don't mention a fix for the problem where custom nations can't generate female rulers and instead get dudes named "Maria" and "Anne" :ironicat:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
No you guys don't understand, it's really about ethics in video game DLC. :downs:

Really, please, Wiz, keep doing this stuff. It's great, not just because it's a wonderful idea, but the tears of the Pdox forums are just so delicious.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sky Shadowing posted:

No you guys don't understand, it's really about ethics in video game DLC. :downs:

Really, please, Wiz, keep doing this stuff. It's great, not just because it's a wonderful idea, but the tears of the Pdox forums are just so delicious.

In fairness to the forums it appears to just be one dude. Unless they actually are aggressively deleting a lot of other crap.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
The game is chokefull with events about male advisors, especially Sweden, those people have no idea what they are talking about :psyduck:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Remember, remember!
The nineteenth of November,
The Femportrait treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Femportrait treason
Should ever be forgot!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Does free DLC mean it's optional? Please make it part of the mandatory patch. Thanks.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So, will the free DLC let you set up custom nations as matriarchies?

quote:

- Automatic naval exploration now explores much larger areas at a time (based on trade nodes) and displays a message when a mission completes. Manual exploration has been re-disabled with this rework.
Yes! This will help so much.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So uh Portugal's Carribean colonies is attacking my Colombian colony, is there nothing I can do?

edit: no more Breton Colombia :smith:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 6, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

So uh Portugal's Carribean colonies is attacking my Colombian colony, is there nothing I can do?

If you check the diplomatic screen of portugals carribean colony there is an option to "enforce peace" in the influence tab. Use that. It'll say no but you can send the demand anyways. The "no" only decides if the war ends immediately or if you join it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Guildencrantz posted:

and tore away my ability to feel my penis

On an "actual problems" note, I just noticed that the patchnotes for the big gender equality patch don't mention a fix for the problem where custom nations can't generate female rulers and instead get dudes named "Maria" and "Anne" :ironicat:

I've been holding out on doing a full custom nations run until this was fixed. :smith:

But my next game is probably just going to be my traditional (since the days of EU3) England game, anyway, since I realized I hadn't done one since like Res Publica.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

quote:

# Nation Designer
- Culture Conversion Cost and Accepted Culture Threshold are now Diplomatic ideas.

I wonder what the reason for this is. In national ideas you get culture conversion cost from Religious and accepted culture threshold from Humanist, both administrative idea sets. They made sense where they were, unless this was done for some balance reason.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sorced posted:

If you check the diplomatic screen of portugals carribean colony there is an option to "enforce peace" in the influence tab. Use that. It'll say no but you can send the demand anyways. The "no" only decides if the war ends immediately or if you join it.

I couldn't send it, it said -1000 invalid target.

edit: it may be because by then all my colonial provinces had been occupied.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 6, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PDX posted:

- Treasure fleets getting seduced by mermaids and missing their trade capital fixed.
I laughed pretty hard at this, thank you Wiz/Paradox.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Mountaineer posted:

I wonder what the reason for this is. In national ideas you get culture conversion cost from Religious and accepted culture threshold from Humanist, both administrative idea sets. They made sense where they were, unless this was done for some balance reason.

My guess is because culture conversion costs diplomatic points.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Also found this, which is awesome for those of us who love doing random worlds:
- Fixed a bug where random nations would not show up when loading saves

This is also good to see:
- Fixed: Wrong flags for Colonial Nations when motherland is Custom Nation.

Really excited for the patch, Wiz is my hero :swoon:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Finally, the Old Gods of EU4 has arrived.

quote:

That's the beautiful thing with people who've let themselves be brainwashed by feminism and their "facts", in their eyes they're always oppressed:
a) If the DLC is free, the value of women is equated to nothing
b) If the DLC cost something, it's because women only care about money right?

Gotta love people who think they're oppressed, it allows them to step all over other people in the name of [insert ideology-of-the-day here].

-Karl Popper: "A theory that explains everything, explains nothing"

Paradox.

Please. Please.

Release more DLCs like this.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The stench of fedoras is suffocating.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Finally, the Old Gods of EU4 has arrived.

Paradox.

Please. Please.

Release more DLCs like this.

Karl Popper should try that line on string theorists.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Zurai posted:

My guess is because culture conversion costs diplomatic points.

I get that, but then why do you get those bonuses from Religious and Humanist which are both administrative? :colbert:

Looking forward to this Women in History DLC. Anything that adds a greater variety of events is cool with me.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I mean, even aside from all of the hilarious forum posts, it's really good and important and long overdue that EU starts centering the role that women played in history more. One thing I like about CK2 is that, even in vanilla, even if you're playing as an agnatic kingdom or a republic or whatever, women are very present in the game playing active roles-- queens help administer a king's kingdom (as modeled by their stats being added to the state's), women can plot and scheme to advance their dynasty's interests as much as men can, they can serve as regents, etc., etc. (And obviously in cognatic or agnatic-congnatic states they're actual rulers, but that can happen in EU4 too) So I'm glad this is becoming the case in EU4, too! I hope this carries through into HoI IV, the long hoped-for Vicky 3, and any other future games.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Take a drink every time someone on Pdox Plaza uses "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" in place of "NOT BEING AN rear end in a top hat".

quote:

Regardless of his numerical error, the point stands. This is why I don't like special days for a particular group of people, or in many cases, month (I believe March is actually women's history month at least in the U.S.). They create a false narrative that these people have been left out of history and somehow wronged by the evil white male history writers. I am tired of people trying to make me feel guilty for being who I am. I take no responsibility and I am NOT guilty for anything my ancestors have done.

quote:

quote:

I love how everybody claims to love history on here, but when actual history with its non politically correct and 'archaic' (for lack of a better word) image rears its head everybody looks away only to indulge themselves in an equalist fantasy.
Exactly, but I had better not say much more than I have. It was hilarious. I had a Swedish bartender recently while in Norway start ranting to me about how annoying politically correct Swedes are. This was all after I asked to see her pack of cigarettes because I wanted to look at the picture. She said Sweden used to have them, but removed them after some mother complained it gave her child nightmares. Then she went off ranting about how everything anyone says in Sweden is considered "racist." She was one of the coolest people I met while in Norway.

quote:

My only complaint is as I stated. So long as these are historically accurate women, then great. But they should have been included with the game originally or added just simply. Not in celebration of some politically correct form of a holiday.

quote:

In America it's called "Women's Month" and we get to be told about all the minimal contributions women made to everything!

quote:

That's why in France students get to know about Olympe de Gouge, who was an interesting but minor figure of the Revolution, but they barely are told about major figures like Robespierre or even Napoleon, that really shaped history. That is biased history.

You can't at the same time say that white men used to run things in the past, AND that historical studies are male-biased.

Oh, and this happened:

quote:

I'm a supporter of patriarchy and traditional gender roles and I don't have a problem with this DLC because it's optional.
:stare:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

quote:

That's why in France students get to know about Olympe de Gouge, who was an interesting but minor figure of the Revolution, but they barely are told about major figures like Robespierre or even Napoleon, that really shaped history.

That's complete bullshit, if anyone had any doubts.

edit: and my teacher was a :siren:woman:siren:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 6, 2015

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
At first it was funny, but now it's just sad and depressing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Plaza being really loving sexist is actually a breath of fresh air after all the unrelenting racism.

On that note, when Vicky 3 is release Paradox should make a free Black History Month DLC.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Wiz, please change it so that this free DLC is actually a mandatory part of the patch.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

vyelkin posted:

Wiz, please change it so that this free DLC is actually a mandatory part of the patch.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Sky Shadowing posted:

Wiz, best free DLC Paradox ever published :swoon:

vyelkin posted:

I thought it was? I really hope it is. And is not disable-able. Mostly because the fedorastank of the Paradox forums is bad for gaming and bad for the game.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Could we maybe pump the brakes a bit with everyone's tumblr fodder and Jezebel essays? Obviously some dudes on the paradox forums are going overboard and whatever, but it still strikes me as a bit hypocritical/opportunistic that in a game where non-white/European countries are innately inferior (and always remain inferior), called "primitives", and you can get bonuses for trading in slaves all due I'm sure to "historical accuracy" or w/e w're getting a DLC pack that's seemingly dedicated to putting women in largely ahistorical roles.

That said I'm not gonna complain about new content, and the patch notes seem mostly good (I hope the exploration works this time around...) so yay for women's day or whatever.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

alansmithee posted:

somethingawful.txt

Elizabeth I, ahistorical monarch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

alansmithee posted:

Could we maybe pump the brakes a bit with everyone's tumblr fodder and Jezebel essays? Obviously some dudes on the paradox forums are going overboard and whatever, but it still strikes me as a bit hypocritical/opportunistic that in a game where non-white/European countries are innately inferior (and always remain inferior), called "primitives", and you can get bonuses for trading in slaves all due I'm sure to "historical accuracy" or w/e w're getting a DLC pack that's seemingly dedicated to putting women in largely ahistorical roles.

That said I'm not gonna complain about new content, and the patch notes seem mostly good (I hope the exploration works this time around...) so yay for women's day or whatever.

No :confused:

• Locked thread