Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Cool 7 mana =/

they couldn't have made it trigger whenever it attacks or something awesome and cool like that, this is so worthless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Starving Autist posted:

While it can't dome the opponent, the bigger body plus trample somewhat makes up for that. Note that it can roast multiple planeswalkers, which is not something you often get to do with one card. I like that it turns on formidable all by itself, too.

If you're paying seven mana, your five damage probably isn't going to roast multiple planeswalkers. They've either gone ultimate or have a ton of loyalty. Hell it doesn't even kill a Hornet Queen and tokens!

The card would be decent and feel cool but not playable if it did eight damage. It can't target players. Five DA!age doesn't even kill several five mana creatures in standard which is just silly. It can't kill Surrak, new Sidisi, or Doomwake.

The old Atarka felt more mythic.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i mean, even if it triggered when it attacked too it wouldn't be great but it's so boring once its on the field

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

I guess this is weird complaining but I really don't understand why Atarka herself is more boring than both of her rare servants. I'd rather she got Foe-Razer's spread but with mythic budget, in fact, given Foe Razer has an ongoing effect...

She might see a little play either way though. She is big and has immediate impact. I just wish they'd gone for six mana and maybe made her a little smaller, like 7/6.

My guess is that they wanted her to turn on formidable by herself.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Can someone buy Atarka a trip to Bogardan because goddamn she needs to learn how to kill players.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Elyv posted:

Honestly I'd rather have an ETB trigger than an ongoing effect on an expensive card like a dragonlord, at least you know for sure it'll actually do something.

I'd rather have a cheaper dragon :P

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Shoulda just made her a functional reprint of Ruric Thar and said she's too fat to fly now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rimusutera posted:

someone doesn't dig it.

lol okay that was good

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Elyv posted:

My guess is that they wanted her to turn on formidable by herself.
Oh, good call. That mechanic is such a winmore non-starter I completely forgot it even exists.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
at least she doesn't die to bathe in dragon fire.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Spiderdrake posted:

Oh, good call. That mechanic is such a winmore non-starter I completely forgot it even exists.

Its such an awful take on Ferocious, which was already a bit questionable since you have a 4 power dude on the field. Making it so you need the equivalent of 2 of them is just silly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

I can't believe there are people who think Sulimgar's Command is bad...

I don't know about bad, but it's a lot of mana to hold up for 4 conditional modes. In grindy games bouncing a land can be near worthless, but might be the only second availble mode.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

atarka doesnt even have the two best parts of bogardan hellkite, the doming players, and the freaking flash which was the best part of that dumb card

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh man Shorecrasher Elemental bringing back Mono U devotion!

:negative:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Where are the other rebound cards.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

atarka doesnt even have the two best parts of bogardan hellkite, the doming players, and the freaking flash which was the best part of that dumb card

once again proving that dominaria is the best plane

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Cool 7 mana =/

At least it does something on ETB. It does Boulderfall actually.

Will first pick the hell out of it in draft obviously. Pyrotechnics +1 that leaves behind an 8/8 flyer? That's a bomb even at 7 mana.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

At least it does something on ETB. It does Boulderfall actually.

Will first pick the hell out of it in draft obviously. Pyrotechnics +1 that leaves behind an 8/8 flyer? That's a bomb even at 7 mana.

No cuz boulderfall can kill players and atarka (or at least, her etb trigger) can't. If she did boulderfall she would actually be kind of neat and we wouldn't be as upset when comparing her to bogardan hellkite

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 6, 2015

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

Its such an awful take on Ferocious, which was already a bit questionable since you have a 4 power dude on the field. Making it so you need the equivalent of 2 of them is just silly.

I'm interested to see how they implement it, all we've seen is a draft common(and the mythic shaman, ok, but I wouldn't expect the timmy mythic to be typical). I wouldn't really describe that one as win more, since all it asks is that you have a combined 3 power of other creatures, which is less than ferocious asks of you. I guess if they put the ability on beefy creatures that are playable without the ability, I could see it doing work.

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 6, 2015

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Someone talk me off the ledge. UR Hour of Dragons combo seems like a real deck. If you have Dragon Tempest out and they have no flying blockers resolving the dragon token maker on 3 creatures wins on the spot. With blockers you need 4 or 5, but... playing R gives you the combo, Hordeling Outburst and Dragon Fodder, plus Rabblemaster if you want. U gives you Omenspeaker, Anticipation, and Dig Through Time to find combo pieces, Battlefield Thaumaturge to make your kill card cost RR, and countermagic to protect your combo. Add burn spells to taste.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

I don't think they think its bad, they hoped it would be 2UB and playable outside standard. i think 5cmc is probably just a bit to high for it to see play outside of standard. it is good. In standard.

Yeah but then it gets compared to Cryptic which is just insane in terms of power level.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zoness posted:

No cuz boulderfall can kill players and atarka can't. If she did boulderfall she would actually be kind of neat and we wouldn't be as upset when comparing her to bogardan hellkite

An 8/8 flying trample is pretty good at killing players I think.

It's probably not constructed worthy, but if you don't think it's a draft bomb you're crazy.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

the problem with the dragonlords is the best use for those spots is to be big dumb edh cards but they aren't even really interesting to be your commander. like with silumgar, i like sower of temptation, but i've never said "gee, i wish sower could be my commander"

kolaghan might be the exception but even he has a dumb rider that doesn't even do anything in EDH except splash damage to your buddy's dumbass relentless rats deck

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
EDH is a dumb format anyway and I'm glad they don't go out of their way to make all Legends good commanders. :colbert:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Lol at Hearthstone releasing a dragon themed expansion in the first week of April.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

An 8/8 flying trample is pretty good at killing players I think.

It's probably not constructed worthy, but if you don't think it's a draft bomb you're crazy.

is anyone arguing that sticking one in limited isn't ridiculous cuz i certainly wasnt

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ojutai is the only dragonlord we're still missing, right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
This set is looking possibly more bomby than FRF. I mean you don't have the Sieges (until pack 3), but a lot of these dragons are just ridiculous in limited.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Entropic posted:

Ojutai is the only dragonlord we're still missing, right?

And Dramoka's command.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I wanna whip it, gain 13, and kill your hornet queen tokens.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Also the RB command.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Teaser of one of the cards they're about to spoil at PAX

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

This set is looking possibly more bomby than FRF. I mean you don't have the Sieges (until pack 3), but a lot of these dragons are just ridiculous in limited.

id make a joke about obviously the set with "dragons" in the name is going to be bomby but, dragon's maze

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Guys I think they are going to errate every burn spell from tarkir back to replace deals damage to "player" into deals damage to "player or planeswalker"

They are using Origin as the chance to do this.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Gensuki posted:

Guys I think they are going to errate every burn spell from tarkir back to replace deals damage to "player" into deals damage to "player or planeswalker"

Reprint lightning bolt to showcase this change.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gensuki posted:

I highly doubt it. Because what if they want to make a burn spell that only targets players?
Say they make the change and then print a card like

Magma Spike R
Sorcery
~ deals 3 damage to target player.

Now give both that card and a Lava Spike to a new player who isn't a rules export and explain to them how Lava Spike can hit their planeswalker because it has invisible Oracle text.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

This makes so much sense

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GonSmithe posted:

This makes so much sense

Is that a misprinted foil rare sheet with all junk rare? :allears:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GonSmithe posted:

This makes so much sense

This should be Crucible of the Spirit Dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

I think there's a decent chance DDF could be a totally miserable format, assuming the commons and uncommons are similar to every other set. The rares and mythics are just bomb bomb bomb. Say what you want about Theros, but the low power disparity between the uncommons and the rares and the unreliability of mythics as game-ending bombs made the environment actually pretty balanced.

Gensuki posted:

Nah, they wouldn't do that. But if it really was a problem, you could fix it by just printing any new burn spells as:

"Lightning Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature or player. (If you target a player, you may redirect all of this damage to a Planeswalker that player controls)"

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 6, 2015

• Locked thread