Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Finally, the removal spell red needs to get past Siege Rhino and Nyx-Fleece Ram. :geno:

This card is gross as gently caress with Soulfire Grand Master. The article it's revealed in does say that it was specifically designed to gently caress Rhinos, Tasigur and Polukranos's.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

Honestly, it might. I think the main thing missing from blue devotion since the departure of RTR block was Nightveil Specter, and this guy seems like an adequate replacement

I could also see him seeing play as a kill condition in a control deck.

kinda also needs a good one drop, are there any in Blue?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

forbidden lesbian posted:

Not really. the best you get is Hypnotic Siren or... I guess Dakra Mystic?

Cloudfin Rapter and Judge's Familiar were so much better.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Dakra Mystic, Embodiment of Spring, Fugitive Wizard, Hypnotic Siren, Triton Shorestalker, Triton Shorethief, Vortex Elemental are the available blue 1 drops in standard.

Of those the ones that would slot best into a deck like Mono blue devotion are Dakra Mystic for utility, Hypnotic Siren, for evasion and late game Mind Control and Triton Shorestalker for evasion. Of those, if a deck like this were to be good, Hypnotic Siren and Triton Shorestalker seem like the best bet

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Hypnotic Siren. I really like Vortex Elemental, too, but both of those cards have upside that involves getting a bunch of mana.

Madmarker posted:

Dakra Mystic, Embodiment of Spring, Fugitive Wizard, Hypnotic Siren, Triton Shorestalker, Triton Shorethief, Vortex Elemental are the available blue 1 drops in standard.

Of those the ones that would slot best into a deck like Mono blue devotion are Dakra Mystic for utility, Hypnotic Siren, for evasion and late game Mind Control and Triton Shorestalker for evasion. Of those, if a deck like this were to be good, Hypnotic Siren and Triton Shorestalker seem like the best bet

The lack of 2-drops is more of a concern though, I think. I mean, you can't really play Mindreaver.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 6, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Shorestalker is strictly worse than that new uncommon megamorph guy, so that could potentially slot in at least.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I mean, random creatures aside, there's also no Rapid Hybridization (Reality Shift is okay, but not great) or Domestication.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."

mcmagic posted:

In the aspect of existence?

Existence is not a predicate.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

If there is going to be mono blue devotion it's going to be a very different beast than the old one. The curve just isn't there(Failing spoilers). The 1-3 drops with heavy blue are just so much worse than what we had.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, random creatures aside, there's also no Rapid Hybridization (Reality Shift is okay, but not great) or Domestication.

Rapid Hybridization was super good in that deck just because of the "target active Thassa, get a free 3/3" mode, which Reality Shift doesn't do.

I would be surprised if Master of Waves makes a Standard comeback.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I really wish they would stop trying to make warriors a thing

It's probably the most fun archetype to draft.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

wow this sounds like coward talk

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That megamorphling is sweet as all hell.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

End of Life Guy posted:

It seems better as Hero's Downfall 5-6 with a tempo play of bouncing a land attached.
That's what I'll likely run it as, with the potential of Negate with a kill spell attached (however unlikely that may be).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

Rapid Hybridization was super good in that deck just because of the "target active Thassa, get a free 3/3" mode, which Reality Shift doesn't do.

I would be surprised if Master of Waves makes a Standard comeback.

Megamorphling and Master of Waves themselves are a good enough combo to at least investigate, I think, although I'm pretty skeptical. There's always the option of just having a lot of annoying psuedo removal like Pin to the Earth/Encrust, etc.

Zoness posted:

Its gonna make me sad when someone doesn't get this.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 6, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's probably the most fun archetype to draft.

Sure, but I'd have loved that card with just being a Sacrifice of any creature instead of trying for some tribal synergy that looks out of place in the set all about dragons.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

what would happen if you made a card that was a Warrior Coward o.0

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

Best post you've ever made. I approve.

It couldn't block itself, or other warriors, if I may be so Boldwyr.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
2 Mana to kill your Siege Rhino or Tasigur in Red is great.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

2 Mana to kill your Siege Rhino or Tasigur in Red is great.

Right now, the only relevant thing this doesn't kill is Stormbreath. Most of the dragons revealed so far seem like limited or timmy fodder too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cool 7 mana =/

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Cool 7 mana =/

Not confirmed but lovely enough that it's likely real.

E: it's real.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Not confirmed but lovely enough that it's likely real.

The image is directly from Star City Games preorder.

http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=1117281

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

Cool 7 mana =/

That's just loving boring.

At least they got the best Command. :v:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Yeah the person who initially posted didn't say where they got it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

Cool 7 mana =/

For seven mana, having a beefier Bogardan Hellkite that can't dome the opponent seems incredibly underwhelming. They could have just made it cost eight and deal five to each creature and planeswalker the opponent controls.

Making creatures just have a large power and toughness doesn't make them feel mythic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

That's just loving boring.

At least they got the best Command. :v:

Its like they didn't even try and just said, "let's make timmy cards and they'll be huge and expensive."

Like, was there really no consideration to making it not completely uncastable without a ton of ramp and then have no relevant protection beyond a giant butt?

Hellsau posted:

For seven mana, having a beefier Bogardan Hellkite that can't dome the opponent seems incredibly underwhelming. They could have just made it cost eight and deal five to each creature and planeswalker the opponent controls.

Making creatures just have a large power and toughness doesn't make them feel mythic.

This is really bad design, not because it's not a working card, but because it commits the cardinal sin of MTG design of just being boring. All they did was make it big and staple the Bogardan Hellkite ability to it (e.g. a dragon ability that already exists)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 6, 2015

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
While it can't dome the opponent, the bigger body plus trample somewhat makes up for that. Note that it can roast multiple planeswalkers, which is not something you often get to do with one card. I like that it turns on formidable all by itself, too.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
lol r/g gets boned on everything except the command

everything owns

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

Cool 7 mana =/

one time ETB trigger. Other dragons have ongoing effects. Thanks Obama.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I can't believe there are people who think Sulimgar's Command is bad...

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

I can't believe there are people who think Sulimgar's Command is bad...

I don't think they think its bad, they hoped it would be 2UB and playable outside standard. i think 5cmc is probably just a bit to high for it to see play outside of standard. it is good. In standard.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

Megamorphling and Master of Waves themselves are a good enough combo to at least investigate, I think, although I'm pretty skeptical. There's always the option of just having a lot of annoying psuedo removal like Pin to the Earth/Encrust, etc.

A lot of the power in the Mono-U deck really landed on Cloudfin Raptor. Being able to incrementally make an early flier huge was pretty big with regards to maintaining tempo. Mono-U was one of those decks where if you ever fell behind, you were going to lose. There were rarely any major tempo swings with that deck. And the creature base in this standard being so beefy, there isn't much of a chance the old deck comes back.

Now, I can see a U/x deck coming around that has the Thassa/MoW/Megamorphling core, but it would likely be more midrangy. (Like everything in this standard.) Maybe Ephara can make a come back? She did see some play and interacts with Megamorphling's blink ability.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Note that the image is from an article, and also the collector's number does not make sense if you compare it to Anticipation (it should have a higher number since it comes later alphabetically).

Also it's a colourless turn one counterspell how could anyone believe this

this will go great in my fake card edh deck

this is already great in my edh decks

Elyv posted:

one of today's articles went up early

oh man my friend really likes to play nissa in his EDH decks, I can't wait to punk him with bounce+kill pw
this will be great in my edh decks

Elyv posted:

here are the other two:

This will be great in my Cooking EDH deck

Elyv posted:

here are the other two:

This will be great in my Supermen EDH deck

Angry Grimace posted:

Cool 7 mana =/

this will be great in my mathematics edh deck

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

someone doesn't dig it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Starving Autist posted:

While it can't dome the opponent, the bigger body plus trample somewhat makes up for that. Note that it can roast multiple planeswalkers, which is not something you often get to do with one card. I like that it turns on formidable all by itself, too.
With only 5 damage the only time it's going to roast >1 PW is right after your opponent uses an ult, at which point lol who cares. Or like maybe you do some weird goofy split attack and finish them off with her but I see that happening approximately never.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RME posted:

oh man my friend really likes to play nissa in his EDH decks, I can't wait to punk him with bounce+kill pw

I just realized you can bounce lands with Silumgar's Command. That's....kind of killer if you can chain multiples of it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

jassi007 posted:

one time ETB trigger. Other dragons have ongoing effects. Thanks Obama.

Honestly I'd rather have an ETB trigger than an ongoing effect on an expensive card like a dragonlord, at least you know for sure it'll actually do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Cool 7 mana =/
I guess this is weird complaining but I really don't understand why Atarka herself is more boring than both of her rare servants. I'd rather she got Foe-Razer's spread but with mythic budget, in fact, given Foe Razer has an ongoing effect...

She might see a little play either way though. She is big and has immediate impact. I just wish they'd gone for six mana and maybe made her a little smaller, like 7/6.

• Locked thread