Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Sherlock Hound is a pretty fun series. It's Sherlock Holmes but everyone is a dog, as directed by Miyazaki so you get some fun sequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

TARDISman posted:

I'm watching Psycho Pass and Gargantia, both are pretty entertaining shows. I've learned to follow the philosophy to just find something to enjoy in a show, anything at all. I made it through Gundam AGE through liking the music and 95% of the mecha design. Also the beepy noise the space dragons make when their cockpits turn on.

I liked gargantia; at its worst it was kinda bland, and the twist was predictable.

I really liked psycho pass, both seasons, but it has sucha neat world that it sucks that they immediately and apparently only can do stories about how sybil can be sidestepped. criminally asymtomatic? jjjjjjust don't work? okay whatever. what about the million other people who can't get around it these departments don't exist just to find outliers. I really really like the main lady too. She's great.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I don't have something to recommend, but I do have a request for people to recommend things to me.

I'll be taking a study trip to Japan in the summer and will be in Tokyo for 4 days as part of that. Any really good Blu-Ray movies I should check out if I can snag em? I've heard Only Yesterday is really good and Mike Tool has brought up how Hells is supposed to be good. It would need to have English subs of course.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anything by mamoru hosoda, including the one piece movie he directed

and digimon: our war game

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

can anyone recommend an anime to get this thread back on track

Gegege no Kitaro, the black-and-white 1960s version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

can anyone recommend an anime to get this thread back on track

How familiar are you with 90's OAV's? Because you haven't seen Cyber City Odeo you really should. Everyone should.

The Manga dub with the redone music is the best version.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Sakurazuka posted:

How familiar are you with 90's OAV's? Because you haven't seen Cyber City Odeo you really should. Everyone should.

The Manga dub with the redone music is the best version.
Paraphrasing:
"HEY RENTON! Don't crap ya pants if ya see a vampire out theah!"
"You wouldn't know a god drat vampire if it jumped out and bit you on the end of your dick." <drives away in space car>

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would have posted the vid if I wasn't on my phone.

It's seriously good though and super cheesy sweary dub only makes it better.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I want someone to upload a clip of the bit in Wicked City dub where the protagonist screams "loving MONSTERS!".

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I've been saving parasyte for a rainy day... One night later I'm 15 episodes in. Holy poo poo its good. You guys weren't kidding

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

When are you going to punish everyone that watches Kantai Collection?

Actually those are good anime fans with quality taste.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I tried the first episode of Kantai Collection but there were way too many characters in the first episode to keep track of and remember, and I am terrible at that even when the cast is a lot smaller.

I know I bring up KLK a lot and I don't wanna be a broken record, but one of the really cool things it did was have the entire cast be very colorful and visually distinct. For another example, so did Nobunaga the Fool.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Watched Devil is a Part-Timer on netflix and poo poo was great. However, the english dub was that made it for me, all the voice actors were great. Anything similiar to this series out there?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I tried the first episode of Kantai Collection but there were way too many characters in the first episode to keep track of and remember, and I am terrible at that even when the cast is a lot smaller.

I know I bring up KLK a lot and I don't wanna be a broken record, but one of the really cool things it did was have the entire cast be very colorful and visually distinct. For another example, so did Nobunaga the Fool.

What more do you need than unique hair colors :confused:

As far as distinctiveness, KLK didn't do anything that other shows haven't done as well or better. Granted, it's above the average, but it's nothing to laud it for.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ViggyNash posted:

What more do you need than unique hair colors :confused:

Kantai Collection has more characters then hair color, so that doesn't help. If there were one per color, then that might not be an issue.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

As far as distinctiveness, KLK didn't do anything that other shows haven't done as well or better.

I can't think of another series I've seen that featured more prominent mother on daughter molestation. If you do know of such a series, for Christ's sake, don't tell me about it.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Just passing by to thank the people who mentioned Katanagatari, show was awesome. So many things to gush about, but I'll just keep it to one line:

"I've forgotten it all"

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

I actually finally got around to starting Katanagatari recently. I'd been meaning to watch it for ages, but your episodic reactions were what made me actually do it. Just finished episode 4 and I have to say that was one of the most cruel jokes any show has ever played on me. A friend I'm watching it with is so incredibly angry about it and it's hilarious, thanks for making this happen guys.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

I can't think of another series I've seen that featured more prominent mother on daughter molestation. If you do know of such a series, for Christ's sake, don't tell me about it.

Visual distinctiveness, FFS.

WickedHate posted:

Kantai Collection has more characters then hair color, so that doesn't help. If there were one per color, then that might not be an issue.

Wow. That's silly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gotta shove everyone's waifu in there or they might not buy the merch.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

When are you going to punish everyone that watches Kantai Collection?

They're already watching Kantai Collection, what worse punishment would you inflict on them?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ViggyNash posted:

Wow. That's silly.

I have memory issues. :shrug:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I have memory issues. :shrug:

Oh, no, I meant the show having so many moeblobs that even hair color is meaningless.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ViggyNash posted:

Oh, no, I meant the show having so many moeblobs that even hair color is meaningless.

Oh, yeah. I guess that the show is mostly aimed at hardcore fans of the game. I don't really get the appeal. Some of the girls do look cool, though. My first exposure to the franchise was seeing some of the figures, and at the time I was considering buying some without knowing the context behind them. I stopped collecting after poo poo kept breaking on me though.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ManOfTheYear posted:

Watched Devil is a Part-Timer on netflix and poo poo was great. However, the english dub was that made it for me, all the voice actors were great. Anything similiar to this series out there?

What did you like about the series? It'd help to recommend something as I found Devil is a Part Timer to be a little bit unique in what it does.

linall posted:

They're already watching Kantai Collection, what worse punishment would you inflict on them?

True enough.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

What did you like about the series? It'd help to recommend something as I found Devil is a Part Timer to be a little bit unique in what it does

It was light, happy, had good animation, not too much fanservice and it was more about the every-day shenanigans of people with little money who fell from glory than the fantasy stuff, even though it played a big part in there as well. I don't think I would have liked it so much if not for the excellent english voice acting, I'm a huge fan of that. In japanese it would have just been yelling I don't understand, but in english I get all the nuances of it, so it's great.

In the end it followed the way of the fantasy land being corrupt and depressing power struggle, so they ending up in a 21st century Tokyo and enjoying normal life was understandable and I liked that, but I hoped the Satan-character would have had some kind of an reason and motivation for being/becoming such a great guy here on earth. You don't go from Genghis Khan to the best buddy in the whole world just like that, so maybe him becoming free from the horrible corrupt court on Ente Isla would have made him see the world differently or something? A bad reason would have been better from no reason at all, but it was a light and goofy story so I give it a pass.

Basically anything funny with good english voices is my stuff.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Panty & Stocking is hilarious and has a wonderful dub.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've watched the first three episodes of Black Lagoon and for some reason it really hasn't grabbed me in any way. The music is cool, I guess, but it's no Noir OST.

Is it worth giving it a few more episodes to get better or can I safely shelve it? It's just...its pace is so slow (although the scenery and world building is pretty nice) and the action doesn't seem interesting. I've seen Revy jump to a few boats and shoot people and stuff and it was more fan-fictiony cool than actual cool.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Drifter posted:

I've watched the first three episodes of Black Lagoon and for some reason it really hasn't grabbed me in any way. The music is cool, I guess, but it's no Noir OST.

Is it worth giving it a few more episodes to get better or can I safely shelve it? It's just...its pace is so slow (although the scenery and world building is pretty nice) and the action doesn't seem interesting. I've seen Revy jump to a few boats and shoot people and stuff and it was more fan-fictiony cool than actual cool.

Give it a few more episodes, the next arc has the crew in a race against neo-nazis to pillage a sunken U-boat.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah, it gets more intense as it goes on. Right now Rock is just getting slotted into the crew. He always sticks out a bit but once he's found his nitch it ramps up.

Think of it more like a western show, where action happens but it's not battle battle battle BIG BATTLE like most anime. It's not a battle anime.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Personally I think Black Lagoon season 1 is at its best when it's the Neo Nazi bit and the immediate aftermath. Everyone has their moments in those episodes.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm enjoying Death Parade at the moment. Golden time was also quite good as a slice of life story, aside from the ending which most people disliked but I didn't mind.

I second Panty and Stocking as well, I only saw it in Japanese but it was a fun ride. Same with Devil is a part-timer. Parasyte I'm saving for when it's complete, since I already read the manga. Nice to see such an old manga get an anime though, I don't see it happening too often but it seems to be the new trend.

On the OVA/movie front, expelled from paradise is just overall great in my opinion.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The P&S dub is worth watching for its own sake, it's that good.

The Parasyte anime is fantastic, and according to the manga readers it's an amazing adaptation. Although, I'd agree with waiting till its done because every week is a painful wait.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Panty and Stocking has quite possibly the best dub ever.

Extremely not safe for work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z4s0mMD5xQ

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

Terper posted:

Panty and Stocking has quite possibly the best dub ever.

Extremely not safe for work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z4s0mMD5xQ

:staredog:

I knew that Panty and Stocking was nsfw, but not that it's to this degree. And it's amazing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zernach posted:

I knew that Panty and Stocking was nsfw, but not that it's to this degree. And it's amazing.

It's even amazing in the Japanese dialogue, because they skirted the limit of TV ratings right to the very edge by swearing in english.

I'm quite fond of the little addition the dub made of "Repent, MOTHERFUCKER!"

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Zernach posted:

That's only average for the show, honestly. poo poo gets truly :psyboom: now and then.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm quite fond of the little addition the dub made of "Repent, MOTHERFUCKER!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUuMhGV5830

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Princess Tutu and Nurse Angel Ririka were hits, so we'll probably keep watching those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Been a little bit, but I just finished Katanagatari Ep. 3, felt like continuing my trip report.

So, Schichika killed his father/Togame's Father's killer. Interesting. I wonder how that came about - he certainly doesn't come off as though he has any moral qualms with pappy, so maybe it's a prerequisite of becoming head of the family.

It's a testament to how good the choreography is in this show that, despite the Maniwa ninja of the month obviously being destined to be chumped from the moment he came on screen, the way his scenes were presented still made him come off as at least a little threatening.

Meisai was cool. It was interesting having a character whose whole philosophy revolves around swords being these disposable things bouncing off of Schichika's cheerful "I'm a sword! :downs:"

Also, her backstory was very well told and rather poignant and Schichika is starting to come off as a bit disturbing - as he's clearly supposed to at this point.

Also, if Schichika can use Kyoka Suigetsu, does that mean literally every bad thing that happens to him for the rest of the series will turn out to have been an illusion that played into his hands all along? :downsrim:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 8, 2015

• Locked thread