Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Langolas posted:

So after talking with an ex-coworker buddy of mine and reading part of this thread, I decided to talk to my Primary care Doc about being tested for ADD.

I've been struggling at work recently with my ability to focus and other items, its really hard for me to describe.

took the test, and basically because I put down that I can read and enjoy reading that I'm not ADD. If I had marked those questions in regards to reading that I was unable to read because of XYZ, I would of been in the mega-positive zone as ADHD.

I don't know if I actually am ADD, or if there is something else mentally I need to have addressed but do any of you guys who have been diagnosed enjoy reading? I read nightly to wear my brain out so it shuts down and I can sleep. I basically force myself to read for an hour+ nightly, if I don't my mind doesn't turn off and I'm up all night tossing and turning trying to rest.

Should I just step up and go see a psychiatrist/psychologist to discuss mental issues further instead of my primary care?

I love to read and have no problem doing it for hours at a time. ADHD doesn't prevent you from concentrating on things you enjoy, the problem is when you have to prioritize your attention towards something you don't enjoy as much.

Most GP's don't know poo poo about ADHD, talk to a psychiatrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Slaapaav posted:

i like sitting down to watch 3 movies on dvd in a row when i take a break from my meds. i cant watch movies when im on ritalin because i just get bored so easily unless the movie im watching is really good

I'm the same way on or off meds that I get too bored, despite loving movies, so it makes me unhappy when I can't enjoy the movie I know I will like. I started coping my having a glass of wine. I never binge drink or anything anymore but a glass of wine in my hand can glue me to the seat. It's why I never attempt to watch TV unless I cooked food just prior either, the eating hones me in on the content.

I've started listening to podcasts more and more and even recording my own though. It's amazing how much easier I focus on them since I can cook clean exercise whatever at the same time and it's a really good combination for me and my hosed up focusing and attention.

I prefer the talk radio type podcasts that you can zone out and not miss much. I think those babble talking rambling personalities like Dan Carlin also have ADHD.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 6, 2015

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Smoothrich posted:

I'm the same way on or off meds that I get too bored, despite loving movies, so it makes me unhappy when I can't enjoy the movie I know I will like. I started coping my having a glass of wine. I never binge drink or anything anymore but a glass of wine in my hand can glue me to the seat. It's why I never attempt to watch TV unless I cooked food just prior either, the eating hones me in on the content.

I've started listening to podcasts more and more and even recording my own though. It's amazing how much easier I focus on them since I can cook clean exercise whatever at the same time and it's a really good combination for me and my hosed up focusing and attention. Also I watch TV on my phone while I do the dishes and crap sometimes too it's easier.

An interesting trick I learned from Hallowell's book is playing with a piece of silly putty when you want to sit still and concentrate on something. It's completely mindless but seems to occupy the part of my brain that would be thinking about what I want to eat or what chores I need to do later that would otherwise distract me from a movie or whatever.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

^^^
I have a bendy thingy that I got from my therapists office and I play with that or a flexible curve when I need to listen in class/sit through something.

Baby Babbeh posted:

I have no problem reading for hours and I'm VERY ADHD, something like two to three standard deviations away from normal attention in the tests I've taken. One of the things that sometimes happens with ADHD is you can actually become hyperfocused on something you like doing, in which case your symptoms magically disappear and you can do it for hours. But you're still not really in control of your attention — try tearing yourself away from the book your focusing on to do math homework or clean your bathroom and you'll see.

Ugh, even on medication I do this poo poo, and I'm currently forcing myself to stop reading before bed. I've done it for years, but it's become kinda negative. I don't feel comfortable stopping in the middle of most books, so I go to sleep way later than I intend (like, start reading at 8-9, get to sleep at 12-1).

Reading is also my go-to escapism/procrastination. I convince myself that because it's reading, it's totally good for me :rolleyes: Except that it's not like I'm reading war and peace here. I'm trying to limit myself to like, 1 (chewy) book a week instead of the 4-5 junk-food like books I usually read. Putting down something that's taking me actual effort to read/comprehend is also a helluva lot easier.

I've never been given attention tests or anything for ADHD; I just talked to my psych about it and explained my inability to focus, interspersed with bursts of hyperfocusing as I got closer to the black hole of due dates. It took explaining how badly I did in junior high/high school (well less than a 1.0GPA, probably less than 0.5 at the time I dropped out), because I've done well in college (a cool 3.66) and enjoyed working in a decently high-paced office job. Otherwise, my grades made it look like I was absolutely fine. Except in reality, getting myself to pay attention in classes or work on a computer for more than 5 minutes before tabbing to forums/reddit were a goddamn fight. If my major actually did studying/tests/writing, I probably wouldn't have the GPA I do.

But I also can't take stimulant medications, so having documentation for adderal or something isn't necessary. Wellbutrin is stimulant-y enough for me, and too much sometimes. I recently got upped to 300mg, but honestly, I think I'm performing/feeling worse than I did at 150mg (which seemed good, even if I still had bad days).

Gnossiennes fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 6, 2015

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Wow, thank you all for the replies. I've honestly been really hesitant to talk to a Doctor about things. It took 3 years and multiple people talking to me to convince me do the basic test at my primary care in the first place.

I plan on trying to re-enroll back in college to finish my last 2 semesters and get my piece of paper, I needed to figure out why I just lost all focus for the last 2 years I was previously enrolled. I just wasn't able to function normally. Took me 6 years to get 3/4 of my credits earned for my undergrad. The same thing that happened with my focus/completing courses happened to me in high school and middle school but I had some amazing teachers that called me out on things. They worked with me to re-focus me which is probably the only reason I finished high school.

I won't go into a huge wall of text but my family is major conservative except me. Mental health is one of those unspoken things and looked down upon things. My Mom is diagnosed OCD though and there are definitely mental illness in my family that goes untreated. I just need to stop being scared and talk to a shrink about things, and its probably years/decades overdue.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
For 5 years until literally two months ago after a med change I fell asleep with Futurama on. I know the episodes by heart and I enjoy them, so I can fix my mind on it without getting too into it and I'm usually out like a light in 10-20 minutes if everythings fine. I've also played Sudoku and puzzle games to grind my brain down when it's really into gear. I get too absorbed, though with that and reading.

In HS my grades were horrible but through college with some adaptations and finding fields that really interest me (Economics, Finance, Business. Which thank god it's not like art or something or id's be hosed because I spent the entire evening obsessively re-coding a mortgage savings optimized I built to interact with spreadsheets for fun. People look at it and think it's nuts but the skill set gets me paid). I didn't even look into ADHD until my senior year when a professor told me to get looked at, because like most Professors in classes I liked, it concerned him how someone who looked like a top student in his class barely passed the exams. A narrative I've heard since high school.

Counselors told me I was doing too well to think I had ADHD and sent me off. It's frustrating to hear when you're trying to compete for a few funded positions in grad programs and you're told "Eh you're not the worst so why bother being your best?"

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I use Cooking with Dog videos to help me sleep. It's weirdly soothing and I usually pass out after three or four videos. :v: It's not very good though, considering that it's a huge drain on my phone battery since I don't get a chance to turn the durn thing off before sleep hits.

I've been having a bad few weeks sleep-wise and I keep forgetting to get a Concerta refill though (because it involves phones and phone conversations are horrible :saddowns:), so this could be a temporary thing.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Welp, turns out I do have Delayed Sleep Phase :(. Officially diagnosed and all, though it was apparent enough when I went through my sleep logs for the past year and calculated an average bedtime of 5:32 AM :stare: (And that's AFTER correcting for counting the rare times I was asleep in the evening before midnight negatively).

Surprisingly I was informed that the most important thing for me to be doing, at least in the short term, is to adjust to a regular sleep and wake time that is as late as possible (i.e. best case try to take very late classes and sleep when I'm comfortable). At that point I could see about trying to gradually shift it back, but no guarantees how much will be feasible.

But it is more important to be consistent than early. And for the same reason, no naps (well, that and they get in the way of trying to pull anything back). Because as lovely as DSPS may be, years of repeated trying and failing to force a normal schedule, with the resulting dramatic swings in sleep times and durations, can culminate in non-24. Which is a special kind of hell where your circadian clock gives up and fucks off entirely. Better 2nd or 3rd shift than no shift, I guess... (Please tell me 2nd shift software engineering is a thing :| Or any decent career option really)

That Sleep as Android app has been somewhat helpful at least. I can finally get up instead of shutting down alarm clocks in my sleep.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Culinary Bears posted:

Welp, turns out I do have Delayed Sleep Phase :(. Officially diagnosed and all, though it was apparent enough when I went through my sleep logs for the past year and calculated an average bedtime of 5:32 AM :stare: (And that's AFTER correcting for counting the rare times I was asleep in the evening before midnight negatively).

Surprisingly I was informed that the most important thing for me to be doing, at least in the short term, is to adjust to a regular sleep and wake time that is as late as possible (i.e. best case try to take very late classes and sleep when I'm comfortable). At that point I could see about trying to gradually shift it back, but no guarantees how much will be feasible.

But it is more important to be consistent than early. And for the same reason, no naps (well, that and they get in the way of trying to pull anything back). Because as lovely as DSPS may be, years of repeated trying and failing to force a normal schedule, with the resulting dramatic swings in sleep times and durations, can culminate in non-24. Which is a special kind of hell where your circadian clock gives up and fucks off entirely. Better 2nd or 3rd shift than no shift, I guess... (Please tell me 2nd shift software engineering is a thing :| Or any decent career option really)

That Sleep as Android app has been somewhat helpful at least. I can finally get up instead of shutting down alarm clocks in my sleep.

I'm getting evaluated at the end of the month. Kind of nervous about it, though at least it would be nice to know that sleeping through classes and being late to work for the last 15 years and being a walking zombie until 11am is due to something physical rather than a personality flaw :v:

e: just looked at my clock and it's 3am :shepface:

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 6, 2015

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Oh yeah, if you don't mind me asking, what was involved in the DSPD evaluation?

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Surprisingly not a lot - I did not have to do a polysomnography - but the doctor was an expert in various circadian, endocrinological, and sleep stuff. Plus I had some meticulous sleep logs all graphed up in Excel, along with a list of various stuff I've tried and how it worked/didn't work, so that helped.

In my case it really consisted of a lot of questioning about various kinds of symptoms, a lot of which were not directly related to sleep. I think there's various issues that DSPD correlates with, like ADHD and sometimes hormonal stuff. I'm not even sure what some of them were about, like whether or not I have issues with my legs going numb. I think a lot of them were to rule out other possible related stuff - I may have had more testing if there were any signs I might have sleep apnea or narcolepsy or something, but there weren't any signs at all in that direction.

I think the sleep log part really goes a long way - just stuff like times you go to sleep and then times you wake up, and the duration. People with DSPD will typically have weird patterns - well, the supper late bedtimes of course, but also stuff like the occasional all-nighter followed by sleeping for crazy long periods of time. And lots of not getting to bed any earlier even when sleep deprived, that kind of stuff.

I used an app on my phone for the sleep tracking - Time Meter Time Tracker for Android, though I've been meaning to check out aTimeLogger. They're actually time/activity trackers in general, although so far I haven't managed to keep that up for anything other than sleep :v:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Culinary Bears posted:

I think the sleep log part really goes a long way - just stuff like times you go to sleep and then times you wake up, and the duration. People with DSPD will typically have weird patterns - well, the supper late bedtimes of course, but also stuff like the occasional all-nighter followed by sleeping for crazy long periods of time. And lots of not getting to bed any earlier even when sleep deprived, that kind of stuff.

Ringing an awful lot of bells here :stare:

Thanks for the information though -- I think I'll try to log my sleep for the next few weeks until my appointment, maybe it'll be of some use to them.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Langolas posted:

Wow, thank you all for the replies. I've honestly been really hesitant to talk to a Doctor about things. It took 3 years and multiple people talking to me to convince me do the basic test at my primary care in the first place.

This is one of my favorite threads on SA cuz it's amazing the shared struggles and different coping methods people learn to deal with them. Many people will hear a list of ADHD symptoms and call you lazy. Here people think hey are you me? Haha.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I think I probably have DSPS too, jeez. I've been really tired this week because I've been getting to bed really late and coming in to work earlier than normal, so I tried to go to sleep at 10. Actually managed to fall asleep after about an hour, only to wake up two hours later and not be able to get to sleep until after three. Sigh.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Langolas posted:

I don't know if I actually am ADD, or if there is something else mentally I need to have addressed but do any of you guys who have been diagnosed enjoy reading?
I have ADHD and will usually read a book in one or two setting if it's something lighter, like a genre fiction. 8 plus consecutive hours of reading

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yep, that whole "you can't have ADD, you can read/watch TV/play videogames for hours" myth is why my parents didn't have me evaluated when I was a teenager. Cue 10+ years of thinking I'm a horrible broken person. :waycool:

Attention Deficit is such a loving horrible name for it and should be discarded entirely. It's like if autism was called "mumbling disorder".

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yep, that whole "you can't have ADD, you can read/watch TV/play videogames for hours" myth is why my parents didn't have me evaluated when I was a teenager. Cue 10+ years of thinking I'm a horrible broken person. :waycool:

Attention Deficit is such a loving horrible name for it and should be discarded entirely. It's like if autism was called "mumbling disorder".
The video where Russel Barkley explains that ADD should be labeled Intention Deficit Disorder was eye opening to me. ADD is not at all an inability to concentrate, it's an inability to regulate what you concentrate on.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Above Our Own posted:

The video where Russel Barkley explains that ADD should be labeled Intention Deficit Disorder was eye opening to me. ADD is not at all an inability to concentrate, it's an inability to regulate what you concentrate on.

And then there's a whole bunch of other stuff that doesn't even have much to do with "attention" like emotional self-regulation and impulsiveness. ADHD is even worse and few few people understand that the exact same EF dysfunctions causing hyperactivity in one person might be causing insecurity or depression in someone who isn't "hyper", because they have the same disorder but a different personality type. This has real and serious consequences in terms of people not getting the help they need.

I just hate the name so much, it always feels embarrassing and stupid when I have to tell people I have ADD and they think of over-energetic 10-year-olds instead of something that's functionally identical to frontal lobe brain damage.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I usually say something relatable like ever can't remember where your keys are? Imagine that happening to you every day. And it takes twenty minutes of anxious searching to find them. And that's why I'm late to work please don't fire me.

Of course they won't cuz ADHD people are probably the ones who accomplish the most in a workplace and provide the best customer service and have the most positive energetic attitudes. Just happen to be late often for ridiculous random embarrassing reasons at least it's a big problem with me.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Smoothrich posted:

I usually say something relatable like ever can't remember where your keys are? Imagine that happening to you every day. And it takes twenty minutes of anxious searching to find them. And that's why I'm late to work please don't fire me.

Of course they won't cuz ADHD people are probably the ones who accomplish the most in a workplace and provide the best customer service and have the most positive energetic attitudes. Just happen to be late often for ridiculous random embarrassing reasons at least it's a big problem with me.

The delivery guy who brought me Thai food 15 minutes ago helpfully pointed out that my keys were dangling from the lock outside my door. Which means they were there for the last 3 hours. I have a dish on my kitchen counter where I put my wallet and keys right away whenever I get home so this kind of thing doesn't happen, but I was wearing heavy boots today and I think unlacing them in the hallway so I didn't track snow into my apartment disrupted my routine. My wallet was in the bedroom, sitting on my pillow like a hotel mint. Gonna assume that one was from when I took it out of my pants before throwing them in the hamper.

Earlier this week I woke up in the morning and went to my kitchen cupboard to grab a glass for some water, and saw that I had put a (now quite room temperature) carton of milk in there instead of back into the fridge the night before.

ADD life :shepface:

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 7, 2015

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Yeah I had my maintenance guy hand me my keys I left in the deadbolt just a couple weeks ago, felt so embarrassed hoping he didn't think I was too retarded. I have a place for my keys too but they are almost never there unless I do a ritual before I go to sleep at night where I lay everything out in advance double checking its all in the right place. I think meds help with reminding myself to remember "now Smoothrich don't forget you're an idiot triple check yourself or you'll be missing something." They don't just make that problem go away they help me maintain a coping routine around it so I don't end up late and impact my performance at work or school.

Don't do that and I don't even understand how it happens my keys will just be in a random place like 1/1000 locations I have to check every time haha its so frustrating. When I was younger I didn't understand how my wallet would disappear so often and I'd just want to scream and rip out of my hair. I knew I would find it someplace obvious but a few times I had to tear my room apart over and over for my wallet with all my necessary things in it before I understood how to not lose something so important. I would be half convinced I dropped it outside and want to cancel my cards but somewhere but I would always find it if I just kept checking the same places over and over. It feels like some brain damage crap for sure sometimes like short term amnesia/memory damage only for things that are specifically important and easy to misplace as a psychological troll. Like short term memory things just don't leave an imprint sometimes. Despite having a wonderful nearly photographic long term memory for things I am interested about.

Just thinking about kitchen cupboards gets me annoyed too. I have to check like 6 cupboards to find whatever I need since I keep lots of stuff in them I use on a daily basis like medicine or phone chargers and cables. I've settled on a system for that probably a completely new system every day for months now thinking "this is very efficient and this is final!" and simply won't remember it the next day and just slam cupboards back and forth until things appear in ones I already checked like magic.

Sticking things in freezers or cupboards instead of the fridge happens too. Sometimes I realize I have 2 separate things in my hands but I'm trying to put away a 3rd thing I never even took out in the first place. Like I forget I didn't accomplish what I was doing because I already moved on mentally to the next thing even with my hands still full. Its pretty silly but its only when I'm thinking too fast so I'm probably still gonna get things done faster then most at the end.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 7, 2015

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
First week on vyvanse, which is also my first week on any medication that isn't welbutrin, and holyyyyyyyyyy poo poo I have been so insanely productive this week. This had to have been the most productive week of my life, by far. I'm upset that I didn't have this taken care of sooner. Like, 4th grade when they said "hey, your kid might have ADD!" sooner.

I can't even begin to describe how much I've accomplished.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

OK so I'm thinking something isn't quite going right with me on Concerta - since I got to 36mg a few weeks ago I have just been worse and worse until yesterday I wanted to just stop existing. And I haven't been feeling any more motivated or productive, and my sleep has gone to poo poo. I'm phoning my psych on Monday to figure out where to go next.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

FWIW my husband had a very similar experience with Ritalin and Concerta. Small doses did nothing. Larger doses only made him increasingly agitated and irritable. Adderall worked like a charm though.

There's some very different families of meds for treating ADHD so it can take a few tries to find what's best for you. Sometimes that ends up being pretty eclectic (Wellbutrin + Modafinil :toot:)

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
small doses of ritalin feel like they dont do anything but if i go without ritalin for a week i sure as gently caress notice the difference

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Freudian posted:

OK so I'm thinking something isn't quite going right with me on Concerta - since I got to 36mg a few weeks ago I have just been worse and worse until yesterday I wanted to just stop existing. And I haven't been feeling any more motivated or productive, and my sleep has gone to poo poo. I'm phoning my psych on Monday to figure out where to go next.

Yeah sounds like a stimulant like Vyvanse might get you up moving around. Doctors often don't start with the amphetamine stuff cuz teenagers abuse them. But adults with responsibilities they should be more sympathetic about. Vyvanse with a mid day IR adderall works wonders for me but I started with a medium Vyvanse dose and went up over months as it quickly was ineffectual without a second dose of something. Tried Vyvanse but asked for Adderall eventually after my pharmacist mentioned it cuz of repeated insurance difficulty over Vyvanse. Doctor warned the abuse potential but let me try it and it's a great combination that wears off at night but makes me straight all day when I need it.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

This thread has been interesting reading for me, though I identify with some of the things people have mentioned I don't think I have any of the extreme traits. I did passably well in school but I think my focus has gotten significantly worse since I was about 17 and I somehow managed to scrape through Uni while struggling with untreated depression, social anxiety and suicidal thoughts. I have been seeing a doctor on and off for these but my memory is poo poo as hell and I can never remember to take my meds consistently so I'm still somewhat there. I generally feel a complete lack of focus, I can't sleep, I can never concentrate on any one thing for any length of time, and I get immensely frustrated when speaking because I slur my words together and can never express myself adequately. My entire brain goes at a million miles a second but I can never pick any one concrete thought or motivation out of it, if that makes sense?

I'm going to go speak to a psychiatrist I think, I grew up thinking that I was just lazy and had no willpower (I don't) but maybe there's something to it. Thanks ADD thread :)

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Haha you have many of the extreme traits my friend. Go to the doctor and fix that brain damage up ASAP. You'll be amazed at having all the powers of your bright intelligence like a quick mind but be able to do crap with it again and feel ready to achieve whatever you want with meds and some new coping techniques.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Smoothrich posted:

Sticking things in freezers or cupboards instead of the fridge happens too

"honey, why is there a stick of butter in the dishwasher?"

:saddowns:

anyone have misophonia? i thought it was a syptom of my depression, not my adhd, but...

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Only really bad when I'm juggling fast easy things.

Making a sandwich, or putting pita bread in the fridge when eating hummus

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

anyone have misophonia? i thought it was a syptom of my depression, not my adhd, but...

Yes. Do not eat anything crunchy anywhere around me. Don't bang a metal spoon in a glass container.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if you just need to take drug holidays or what but Adderall doesn't really seem to be doing much for me anymore.

Of course I'm not sure if my problem is ADHD so much as just a lifetime of crippling depression and emptiness so there's also that.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Exercise helps with all three of those.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish

invision posted:

First week on vyvanse, which is also my first week on any medication that isn't welbutrin, and holyyyyyyyyyy poo poo I have been so insanely productive this week. This had to have been the most productive week of my life, by far. I'm upset that I didn't have this taken care of sooner. Like, 4th grade when they said "hey, your kid might have ADD!" sooner.

I can't even begin to describe how much I've accomplished.

Why did you switch to vyvanse? Was the transission hard?

I'm asking because i've been on wellbutrin 300mg for a while now and I don't feel like it's doing anything good now. Even if I only get a 2-3 weeks of honey moon out of a new med it would help me alot these days since im moving out to a new house and I have soo much things to do it's starting to be overwhelming.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
My ex switched from Wellbutrin to Vyvanse and another anti depressant. She felt too lazy, absent minded, probably struggling to prioritize tasks to get anything done. Feeling overwhelmed at managing your time and obligations as a persistent lingering obstacle to your success is like, being halfway there to fixing it, and very symptomatic of ADHD. I bet Wellbutrin often only does enough work for some individuals to further acknowledge and understand their daily struggles but lacks the mental focusing kick or increased intangible drive and motivation a stimulant like Vyvanse could introduce to your brain chemistry if you need it.

Depressed Adderall dude, I think your brain is struggling to regulate your Dopamine levels or something. Adderall can trigger the feeling of crashes or like that happy feeling brain juice may no longer even get produced in noticeable levels, combined with possible clinical depression you prob feel like poo poo real bad and may further endanger your mental health. I am not a doctor but I think either taking a hiatus from adderall to see if you think clearer in a couple days and/or trying to introduce an anti depressant, or even switching to Vyvanse or XR Adderall to stop spikes and crashes in your magic brain juices that apparently regulate all our emotions would all be possible solutions. You may have severe side effects though I think, call your doctor if you been depressed bad more than a week straight with no change imo.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I take the weekend off from the stims to reset and I can see in my sleep tracking and heart rate monitoring that it's a pretty good decision for me. I'd suggest the same. And try to get more sleep if you're not getting enough. A full nights sleep is probably more potent than adderall, because without the sleep the adderall will just leave you feeling overstimulated and unhappy because you're out of dopamine.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I recently went through a bout of being depressed but about some regular upsetting relationship stuff. I also begun taking Adderall along with Vyvanse which I appreciate immensely but I took a few days to realize I kept focusing in mental loops over negative thoughts and becoming increasingly withdrawn and angry or betrayed, emotions I have often struggled with. The mental clarity and awareness I value from the meds seemed to be making me think harder about why I was sad, only making me feel worse. I cut down on any medicines for a few days, tried to think positive and talk to old friends, argue online over stupid crap to think about something different and that actually helped me get out of a bad place refreshingly fast.

I believe it's often not just medication or lack thereof screwing you up when feeling low but your emotional regulation and patterns of behavior. I increasingly direct people to CBT professionals or reading the literature as instrumental to learning what makes your brain tick. I don't think I ever could've applied any meaningful behavior modification self treatment crap without being on ADHD meds to make me think past the next short sighted impulsive goal or petty emotion though. Like getting drunk haha.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish

Smoothrich posted:

My ex switched from Wellbutrin to Vyvanse and another anti depressant. She felt too lazy, absent minded, probably struggling to prioritize tasks to get anything done. Feeling overwhelmed at managing your time and obligations as a persistent lingering obstacle to your success is like, being halfway there to fixing it, and very symptomatic of ADHD. I bet Wellbutrin often only does enough work for some individuals to further acknowledge and understand their daily struggles but lacks the mental focusing kick or increased intangible drive and motivation a stimulant like Vyvanse could introduce to your brain chemistry if you need it.

That's kind of how I feel right now. I know that I have to be more productive and once im in that "mode" I am just unstopable but it's seem to be harder these days than it was last fall. Might be because of lack of sunlight and weird sleeping schedules so I won't talk about it to my doc just yet because switching medication means im restricted for like 3 months at work.(military)

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Smoothrich posted:

Depressed Adderall dude, I think your brain is struggling to regulate your Dopamine levels or something. Adderall can trigger the feeling of crashes or like that happy feeling brain juice may no longer even get produced in noticeable levels, combined with possible clinical depression you prob feel like poo poo real bad and may further endanger your mental health. I am not a doctor but I think either taking a hiatus from adderall to see if you think clearer in a couple days and/or trying to introduce an anti depressant, or even switching to Vyvanse or XR Adderall to stop spikes and crashes in your magic brain juices that apparently regulate all our emotions would all be possible solutions. You may have severe side effects though I think, call your doctor if you been depressed bad more than a week straight with no change imo.

Thanks for the input. I was taking Vyvanse before this, but then I lost my old job (and my old insurance with it) and there was a period in there where regular Adderall was all I could afford without insurance. You're probably right about the crashes because it's always worst in the evenings after it's stopped working.

I'm on new insurance now (technically, I haven't gotten my card yet so I guess I need to call them up and bitch) so I should see about getting back on the Vyvanse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Eat a big meal around the time I gets bad. I had a lot of bad effects at the end of the work day and eating a meal with fat and protein helps in a ton of ways.