Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Today is the 2nd anniversary of Rand Paul's filibuster where he warned us that the federal government might one day use drones to find out who's sending letters to our mailboxes. :911:

My god if the government could track our mail....the horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

"Hey, what's this bar code on my mail....OBVIOUSLY THE SIGN OF THE BEAST!" *proceeds to burn letter*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted:

It's funny because they are already doing this for flimsy reasons due to the Patriot Act.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's funny because they are already doing this for flimsy reasons due to the Patriot Act.

ITS FUNNY BECAUSE THE US POSTAL SYSTEM IS THE GOVERNMENT BUD

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Drones should only be used on weddings and to respond to liquor store shop lifting.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Stultus Maximus posted:

Then why are kittens and puppies cuter than babies?

This is your brain's way of telling you your genes are unfit for breeding.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

forbidden lesbian posted:

like why do you think there has to be a reason for finding things cute?

Cuteness evolved independently in hundreds of species (depending on whose counting) so there must be somethin' about it

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Today is the 2nd anniversary of Rand Paul's filibuster where he warned us that the federal government might one day use drones to find out who's sending letters to our mailboxes. :911:

"The government might find out who you're sending letters to" is unambiguously the dumbest thing that he's ever said.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ok, that explains everything! Thanks!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

It's a side effect of the aforementioned resemblance to our own offspring. And just about any honest parent will tell you that if humans didn't find kids adorable and loveable, infanticide would be a lot more common.

well... historically speaking...

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Joementum posted:

Early, but this is the obvious choice for quote of the day, "How many of you have got wolves in your district? None. None. Not one. We've got 79 congressmen sending you a letter, they haven't got a drat wolf in their whole district. I'd like to introduce them in your district. If I introduced them in your district, you wouldn't have a homeless problem anymore." ~ Rep. Don Young (R-AK).

He's not wrong.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I'm mostly just surprised that Alaska has a problem with alive homeless people.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

baw posted:

Cuteness evolved independently in hundreds of species (depending on whose counting) so there must be somethin' about it

Maybe they recognized early on that we were going to be at the top of the mountain of Apex Predators and adapted accordingly.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

I'm mostly just surprised that Alaska has a problem with alive homeless people.
Alaskan homeless are like the mountain men of old. You give them a knife and a firestarter and they'll survive just fine.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Alaskan homeless are like the mountain men of old. You give them a knife and a firestarter and they'll survive just fine.

Correction. I'm mostly just surprised there are living homeless Alaskans that don't yet star in a reality tv show.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Good Citizen posted:

Correction. I'm mostly just surprised there are living homeless Alaskans that don't yet star in a reality tv show.

America doesn't like to see its poorest/most neglected members of society in any kind of light that would humanize them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Quidam Viator posted:

Dems vow to protect Boehner from conservative coup

So, more good news for the stability of our congressional system, as the Tea Party is thwarted from REALLY instituting conservative policy and purging their ranks of RINOs.

It's good to see bipartisanship in action.

Joementum posted:

Early, but this is the obvious choice for quote of the day, "How many of you have got wolves in your district? None. None. Not one. We've got 79 congressmen sending you a letter, they haven't got a drat wolf in their whole district. I'd like to introduce them in your district. If I introduced them in your district, you wouldn't have a homeless problem anymore." ~ Rep. Don Young (R-AK).

I know that we've got to get through budgets and debt ceilings and letting a less orange Republican take the help hurts those things. However there has to be some point where the Democrats can help the Republicans instal their own Conservative Hero as Speaker. Just to let quotes like Don Young's become the "reasonable" end of House output on the way to November.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

nutranurse posted:

America doesn't like to see its poorest/most neglected members of society in any kind of light that would humanize them.

They gave Sarah Palin a show though?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Mountain men haven't always been meth addicts tho afaik

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

d'awwww

Why are baby wild animals so cute

Like seriously what evolutionary advantage is it to us to find, say, a bear cub adorable and cuddly

Allows Mama bear to easily feed her cubs when a big dumb ape wanders up to them going :3: awwwwwwwww.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Gyges posted:

I know that we've got to get through budgets and debt ceilings and letting a less orange Republican take the help hurts those things. However there has to be some point where the Democrats can help the Republicans instal their own Conservative Hero as Speaker. Just to let quotes like Don Young's become the "reasonable" end of House output on the way to November.

I'm sorry, but that kind of thinking is severely frowned upon in this forum, as I've learned from personal experience. The only moral path is the path we are currently on, and to suggest that Democrats should game the system to allow the Republicans to shoot themselves in the foot endangers the whole nation, and especially the poor and minorities who would suffer most by having my representative, Ted Yoho (R) replace the orange guy as Speaker.

Because the poor and minorities are doing so much better with the governance they're getting now, and we have a clear plan to win back both houses of the legislature and get a real progressive with real ideas into the White House in 2016.

You start talking about Democrats actively encouraging the GOP to become more radical and gain more power because they are the most effective people to hurt themselves, and you'll be branded an accelerationist, and nobody wants that.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I heard you like baby animals so:

This is Bruce. He is a Green Anaconda. In 30 days it will be illegal for him to cross state lines, ostensibly to protect him from becoming an invasive species. Green Anacondas require very high, consistent temperatures and humidity to survive in the wild. There is only one part of one state where they could conceivably establish themselves as an invasive species, the Florida Everglades. After decades of them being in the pet trade this has completely failed to happen. Even so, today it was announced that the Lacey Act is being used to restrict import, export, and interstate trade of this species, as well as several others, including the Reticulated Python. This will damage the livelihoods of many people I know. This policy is not based on sound science, nor will it have much if any effect on the Everglades, as Green Anacondas are already illegal in Florida. Woot.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

baw posted:

The Russians ( :ussr: ) did an experiment to breed Siberian foxes into becoming domesticated. They looked for behavioral cues only, and in a few generations were able to domesticate these foxes. What's interesting is that adult foxes that were the product of multiple generations of docile pairings actually started to look cuter; their eyes got bigger, their ears could stand up and flatten and they got fluffier tails that they'd wag, all without any of the breeders giving a thought to phenotype.

So I think cuteness/neoteny has some kind of link to friendliness at least in adult mammals, it could just be that cuteness signals a lack of threat which is picked up by parents. Finding other species cute could just be an accident of evolution: it has no bearing on us on humans and is only a knockon effect.

Political poo poo: Alan Grayson wants to Shutdown Shutdowns

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Looks like Senator Menendez is about to get slapped with corruption charges...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I'm calling shenanigans on all of you claiming to have seen cute puppies; pics or it didn't happen.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

menino posted:

Political poo poo: Alan Grayson wants to Shutdown Shutdowns
Haha, good loving luck doing this now that the Republicans hold both houses

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm calling shenanigans on all of you claiming to have seen cute puppies; pics or it didn't happen.

I'd go one further and apply that to all the animals people are claiming as "cute"

E:^^

quote:

Both parties have tried in the past to use shutdowns and shutdown warnings as leverage to win concessions on hot-button issues ranging from spending to abortion. But Republicans have led the most recent efforts, which occurred during the Clinton and Obama administrations.
Because both those administrations happened back to back with no time in between, clearly the truth is in the middle.

eNeMeE fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 6, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Adult dogs retain traits that only wolf puppies have. There could be something to that. Then again, cats are really cute but the latest theory says they were not so much deliberately bred by humans as much as they evolved to live off the vermin that live around human settlements. That is to say, "domestic cats" don't exist "in the wild" (independent of human settlements) but they were not deliberately bred for docility until relatively recently, so they are more or less wild animals still (as any cat owner can attest.)

On the other hand, humans started deliberately breeding wolves and early dogs for docile traits some 10 thousand years ago.

One thing that probably made purposefully breeding dogs necessary is that wolves and dogs are not territorial in the sense of wanting to stick in one spot forever - a wolf pack will ramble around for miles every day. (That's why they don't bury their poop - don't care if you find out they've been there because they're already miles away.) Their territorial sense is tied to the location of their pack. Cats on the other hand are territorial in the sense of staying in the same geographic location. They clean themselves and bury their poop so you can't tell if they've passed by recently or not so that they can more effectively stalk and murder you. Cats attracted to human settlements stayed there for the long haul, so they had to be just not assholeish enough to get killed by a human.

Cats are so goddamn cute I'm gonna hug mine when I get home even though I know if I died it would eat my body.

Edit:
Here is one of my cats, Francis Scott Kitty.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 6, 2015

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

JT Jag posted:

Haha, good loving luck doing this now that the Republicans hold both houses

Grayson can be counted on for fun trolly bills like this that go nowhere. I wish the Democrats had a few more like him, not too many but at least a few more.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Boon posted:

Looks like Senator Menendez is about to get slapped with corruption charges...

Good he's an embarrassment to my people.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Quidam Viator posted:

Dems vow to protect Boehner from conservative coup

So, more good news for the stability of our congressional system, as the Tea Party is thwarted from REALLY instituting conservative policy and purging their ranks of RINOs.

It's good to see bipartisanship in action.

So at some point the Dems are just going to come out and say the own Boehner's rear end aren't they.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

So at some point the Dems are just going to come out and say the own Boehner's rear end aren't they.

I'm mean it was made pretty clear when he had to get Pelosi to fund the fuckin DHS.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Driving a wedge further between far-right and moderate conservatives by associating with a "RINO" is about the only political strategy left for the Dems.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

And it's working beautifully :allears:.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm mean it was made pretty clear when he had to get Pelosi to fund the fuckin DHS.

Yeah, if the democrats had one brain in their messaging department they would be talking about nothing but how republicans are so anti-government that they can't even pass homeland security funding whenever they get in front of a camera.

Unfortunately the first 7 words in that sentence above doesn't actually exist.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

And it's working beautifully :allears:.

It is, actually, at least reading the way conservatives are reacting to the "cave" by Mitch McConnell and Boehner on the DHS funding.

Now if only the rest of America's mouthbreathers could stop voting for them.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Amergin posted:

Driving a wedge further between far-right and moderate conservatives by associating with a "RINO" is about the only political strategy left for the Dems.
Yeah it's pretty effective for tearing the Republican party apart.

I can't wait for the next wave of Tea Party primary challengers after two years of moderate Republicans actually trying to govern.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
It is still so weird (but understandable) for everyone to refer to the "Tea Party" as a not-acronym. While I realize that typing "T.E.A. Party" every time would get really tiresome, it helps to remember that these fuckers are operating under the slogan "taxed enough already" right there in their party name.

I wish more people would remember that.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

a shameful boehner posted:

It is still so weird (but understandable) for everyone to refer to the "Tea Party" as a not-acronym. While I realize that typing "T.E.A. Party" every time would get really tiresome, it helps to remember that these fuckers are operating under the slogan "taxed enough already" right there in their party name.

Do tea parties even remember that at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

a shameful boehner posted:

I thought it was a backronym after people kept calling them tea-baggers.

• Locked thread