Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Guess what guys? Power levels are loving cool. That's why people like them. It doesn't involve autism this time. Honestly people saying 'power levels are bullshit!' Every other goddam page are probably more autistic if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

Guess what guys? Power levels are loving cool.

nah

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gokule is the best fusion? Yes/Very Yes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

Guess what guys? Power levels are loving cool.

Nope. Mr. Satan's power level is the lowest but he is the best, ergo power level has nothing to do with cool.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
wait, how does frieza know what a monkey is?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sharktamer posted:

wait, how does frieza know what a monkey is?

Spacebook.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He got a video call from the Ginyu Force when they were making a pit stop in Space Asia after celebrating Jeice's birthday.

Oh, Ginyu Force. :smith:

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Someone brought up that scenario where Piccolo fused with Demon King Piccolo to fight Super Buu in Supersonic Warriors, and that was pretty cool.

But the weird thing is that you have to fight Demon King Piccolo before that. Shouldn't he have, like, a power level of 100 or something? :psyduck:

Otherwise, I guess it's just that

There's also Gohan's what if which was pretty cool. Dr. Gero kills Goku making Gohan go Super Saiyan and butcher him. Piccolo trains Gohan to beat Cell in the Hyperbolic Time and then sacrifices himself to save Gohan when they get stomped, triggering Super Saiyan 2.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
In a way I wish we knew more about space society. Freeza and his merry band of mercenaries are out killing people to sell planets or something but who are the buyers?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they're selling them to be made into vacation planets like that one episode of star trek

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Shinjobi posted:

People get pissed about power level debates because power levels as a concept was abandoned after Frieza, and yet debates raged on even up to the year 2015. The arguments were old then, they're old now, and some people just can't accept that power levels are meaningless.

Power levels were brought up again during the boss run before Buu was awakened. Goku vs. Ki absorber, specifically.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It wasn't precisely power levels, but it was a similar concept.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Kili

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It wasn't precisely power levels, but it was a similar concept.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Kili

Frieza uses metric power levels, Babidi uses imperial.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Szmitten posted:

:golfclap: Well played, sir.

Edit: Or madam. Person?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Shinjobi posted:

Me, I'm more irritated that Krillin looks like a basic police officer. Dude should be running the precinct.

He's lost a lot of muscle mass, too..

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Szmitten posted:

Surely as Emperor of the galaxy Frieza should use Imperial? :v:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Surely as Emperor of the galaxy Frieza should use Imperial? :v:

Did Napoleon?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Plus as a galactic leader Frieza would need the absolute, context-agnostic precision of metric, while Babidi's just leading a spaceship with four monsters on it and can use the simpler Imperial measurements.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

projecthalaxy posted:

Plus as a galactic leader Frieza would need the absolute, context-agnostic precision of metric, while Babidi's just leading a spaceship with four monsters on it and can use the simpler Imperial measurements.

Actually he had like 50 or so.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

As I say every 20 pages or so, power levels were an excellent narrative device used to:

a) build tension, the main point;
b) illustrate how the heroes are manipulating ki up and down with their varied attacks and techniques, as compared to people who are pretty "set"
c) create an immediate point of reference to show just how powerful certain people, especially Freeza were.

"Power levels are bullshit" misses the point as much as anything, as they do show where the VILLAINS generally are, which is the point (and, in certain instances, the heroes' relation to them).

That's also why they stopped being used; every villain post Freeza wasn't "oh it's the most powerful person in the universe, unstoppable!" but someone that used the heroes' bullshit against them in various ways (stealing their ki, playing hide and go seek until they trained-ate enough to be more powerful, used magic). Something else people always seem to not get, as they're always talking about how Buu is 4x more powerful than Cell and nonsense like that (when Buu wasn't really much of a power upgrade, as that wasn't even the issue).

Trying to rate anyone's power level who isn't Freeza is pointless as hell, since it entirely misses the point, obviously. But when Toriyama used them, they had a lot of important narrative purposes that worked really well at the time.

Also, the Babadi attempt at reintroducing power levels was meant to show that he was clueless about how ridiculous the heroes got, and how they used their abilities, in the same manner Supreme Kai was.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Even Freiza, who had a defined power level and final transformation, still found ways to go even higher. The numbers don't even tell you how strong the villains are.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Momomo posted:

Even Freiza, who had a defined power level and final transformation, still found ways to go even higher. The numbers don't even tell you how strong the villains are.

Freeza's put a base number in your head so you subconsciously thought about how many times more powerful he was than other people. Then, as he transformed and said things like "I'm only at 10%" or whatever, it subconsciously played in your mind to show how much more powerful he was getting, relatively. Unlike Goku/Vegeta (where the kaioken made the math work out nearly roughly close), the Freeza fight showed that Freeza had an "ubeatable" final number, which made SSJ even more impressive. It's part of the reasons transformations worked so well in the series and had such a huge impact. It was a really smart narrative shortcut.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Darko, we aren't saying that they are bullshit because it shouldn't have been a thing, but that it's a terrible measurement of anything after Super Saiyans.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darko posted:

Also, the Babadi attempt at reintroducing power levels was meant to show that he was clueless about how ridiculous the heroes got, and how they used their abilities, in the same manner Supreme Kai was.

It was only used once with Babadi anyway. Were he pointed out that Goku had 3000 Kili in Super Saiyan form while Yakon only had 800. Yakon was still able to make up for that by his power to turn off the Super Saiyan form and by being stronger then Goku in base. Then Goku force fed him a ton of super saiyan power all at once to kill him.

Dabura then said bring on 3000 Kili, bring on 4000 kili my power can't be matched and that was the last time it was mentioned.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
Goku had that fight well in hand even in base form. He went super saying just to gently caress with Yakkon.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
When does the next issue of the Revival of F comic come out?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

furiouskoala posted:

He's got the highest potential in the series; he's never trained a day in his life yet has a power level close to a super saiyan. It took Goku more than a decade of training to match a Saibaman.

Beating a dead horse on this one but-

Look at Goten and Trunks, with basically no training they were close to as strong as Freeza, the idea that in half a year they could bridge the gap between as they are now and SSJ3 or SSG is... unlikely. But whatever, if it's more punchmans then I'll take all I can get.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bushmaori posted:

Beating a dead horse on this one but-

Look at Goten and Trunks, with basically no training they were close to as strong as Freeza, the idea that in half a year they could bridge the gap between as they are now and SSJ3 or SSG is... unlikely. But whatever, if it's more punchmans then I'll take all I can get.

Do they really though? If Super Saiyan is a 50x multiplier, that's all it is. If they have the Power Level of say Radditz, then they only have a Power Level of about 50,000. Do Goten and Trunks fight anyone noteworthy when they aren't Gotenks?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

Do they really though? If Super Saiyan is a 50x multiplier, that's all it is. If they have the Power Level of say Radditz, then they only have a Power Level of about 50,000. Do Goten and Trunks fight anyone noteworthy when they aren't Gotenks?

In the Special they fought Abo Kado who were said to be as strong as Frieza.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

Android 18, but you can't get much out of that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kild posted:

In the Special they fought Abo Kado who were said to be as strong as Frieza.
Wouldn't Tarble and Abo/Kado only know about Frieza's first form?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Endorph posted:

Wouldn't Tarble and Abo/Kado only know about Frieza's first form?

Zarbon mentions Frieza's transformations which is how Vegeta finds out about them, so I suppose it depends on how close they were to Frieza.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Given the new movie, it's probably the intent that it wasn't anywhere near 100%. Freeza's first form is like 1/100 of what he actually is, or something ridiculous.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There's no way Tarble had any idea of Freeza forms; he was an exile and had nothing to do with PTO stuff.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

furiouskoala posted:

Android 18, but you can't get much out of that.

Aside from the Mighty Mask silliness, didn't 18 let those two win?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Considering they couldn't beat Android 18, I don't think they could beat final form Freeza without fusion.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tae posted:

Considering they couldn't beat Android 18, I don't think they could beat final form Freeza without fusion.

18 is way stronger than Freeza, though? Trunks killed Freeza with little effort and she beat his rear end like it was nothing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zonekeeper posted:

18 is way stronger than Freeza, though? Trunks killed Freeza with little effort and she beat his rear end like it was nothing.

Yeah. SSJs with a little training are easily more powerful than Freeza. The future androids are more powerful than SSJs (although they can give them a decent fight). The current androids are way more powerful than SSJs, to where there's barely a fight. Then you have the "mastered" versions that Goku and Gohan were, or Vegeta/Trunks ROSAT boosts which jump again. And so on and so forth.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Goten and Trunks were pretty strong for kids. But the fact that they could go super saiyan really made them seem stronger then they were.

The two of them did have some trouble with Abo and Kado who are around first form Freeza's level as that is the only bench mark most people of the universe would have been able to compare them to. Meaning in base they are a bit stronger then first form Freeza at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spiritus Nox posted:

Aside from the Mighty Mask silliness, didn't 18 let those two win?

No she just won. They caught her off guard a few times because she expected a human was her opponent at first and if she killed her opponent she would be disqualified and not get any money. When they went Super Saiyan they caught her off guard with powerful and fast Ki Blast but she avoided it and figured out who they were and sliced them in half with a Disk revealing they two people. They fought her for a few more seconds before being disqualified and flying off.

• Locked thread