Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

I experienced some kind of binge-watch drought recently and, being mildly desperate, decided to re-watch Prison Break.

It's just the best loving thing ever, and very smart about being stupid. The pace is ridiculously frenetic -- there is a cliffhanger at least four times per episode -- to the point where I can't believe none of the characters die from dangerously high blood pressure. These people cannot step on a bug without it loving up their plans and putting them all in mortal danger.

If you would like to know what would happen if MacGyver had to break out of prison, this is more or less the show for you. It does dip a bit in season four, but the actors are SO good at what they do that it remains very watchable. Especially T-Bag. But not Micheal Rappaport, who delivers one of the worst recurring performances on a network series I have ever had to endure.

Seriously: William Fichtner kills it. Robert Knepper kills it. Make a commitment. Do it.

As a dissenting opinion, I found season 1 decently entertaining, and each subsequent season an order of magnitude worse than the preceding season, which means that by season 4 it may be the worst show I have ever watched.

It's also a weird throwback, in these days of 12ish episode seasons. 20-something episodes into season one and you're like, "ok already, quit loving around and start progressing the main plot"

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'd never seen any of this show until recently, and it turns out it's absolute garbage. I honestly don't understand how it became so popular.

Part of it may be nostalgia. I was 12 when the first episode aired, so I can't honestly discern how much of my enjoyment comes from returning to that place and how much comes from the show itself. I do remember that the first few seasons felt genuinely compelling and mysterious, but as time wore on it became a thing I watched because I had been watching it since 1993.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'd never seen any of this show until recently, and it turns out it's absolute garbage. I honestly don't understand how it became so popular.

I really like it, but admittedly it jumped the shark for me in the episode where the Smoking Man is revealed to have assassinated JFK, MLK, and tons of other shady/significant poo poo. Though it does have one of the best lines in the series.

The Smoking Man posted:

Life is like a box of chocolates - a cheap, perfunctory gift that no one ever asks for.

The movie-of-the-week episodes are usually awesome. The conspiracy ones vary.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The X-Files is a great show if you remove basically everything involving the core mystery. The cockroach and two-faced monster episodes are both fantastic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mr. stefan posted:

The X-Files is a great show if you remove basically everything involving the core mystery. The cockroach and two-faced monster episodes are both fantastic.

I suffered through all the conspiracy episodes when I was a kid in the hopes that the next one would be a one off. I always thought the main story was so boring. Luckily, I think about half the episodes are self contained and worth watching if I remember right. Should be fairly easy to filter out the crap with Netflix descriptions.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
The problem with the meta-plot episodes is that they were nothing but build-up after build-up, and never any pay-off/resolution. I believe that The X-Files' two major cultural contributions are as a marker of that era's zeitgeist, and as a collection of monster/mystery-of-the-week episodes that range from 'meh' to 'amazing', skewing toward 'pretty good'.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah totally. The lack of payoff ruined it. Mysteries that don't get resolved in a reasonable time just start to irritate and bore the poo poo out of me very quickly. Same reason I thought Lost was garbage and quit watching it in the second season.

Interesting that Vince Gilligan went on to make Breaking Bad which IMO has a perfect balance of "whats going to happen next!?" and satisfying resolve.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I think a lot of it is "this hasn't been done before". It's like how John Carter was criticized for having a scene similar to Attack of the Clones when the latter in all certainty got that scene from the John Carter novels.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A MIRACLE posted:

It looks like the new Aziz special hits tonight
Wait I thought that was coming tomorrow. You mean at midnight?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah totally. The lack of payoff ruined it. Mysteries that don't get resolved in a reasonable time just start to irritate and bore the poo poo out of me very quickly. Same reason I thought Lost was garbage and quit watching it in the second season.

Interesting that Vince Gilligan went on to make Breaking Bad which IMO has a perfect balance of "whats going to happen next!?" and satisfying resolve.

Probably because Breaking Bad had no overarching mystery to it, which means it never had to constantly perform the balancing act of moving the plot along while also keeping the audience in the dark about what the hell is going on.

Closest thing to a mystery it had was the cold openings in Season 2, which didn't interfere with the plot at all because it was all foreshadowing (and was thoroughly resolved at the very end of the season).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The X-Files conspiracy episodes are junk because the plot goes nowhere, but watching again I'm enjoying some character touches with the smoking man and conspiracy people I never picked up when the show was first on. Once they introduce that social club of people in suits, it's clear that they treat the smoking man like he's the janitor, almost like he's their minion rather than a legit part of the conspiracy. I thought that was fun because to Mulder and Scully, the smoking man is like their arch-nemesis and the guy on top of all the poo poo they deal with, but then they cut to the conspiracy group and we see him looking awkward and getting called onto the carpet for being a gently caress-up and getting treated like garbage because his job is just to kill people and hide things and not to make any decisions. It's like being in the conspiracy has the same social dynamics as any other workplace.

Also, a possible mistake made in production, but sublime in all the weird hidden history it implies about the world of the show: the smoking man says he's watched presidents die. Like, did Nixon secretly spend his retirement years adventuring in search of aliens and have to get taken care of? Did Gerald Ford have to be replaced by a robot?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I honestly don't understand how it became so popular.

Two gorgeous leads and it taps into the exact cultural/conspiratorial mood of the time. Could not be more 90's.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The 90s were chock full of shows about conspiracies and UFO sightings. That stuff was big back then.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
TV always feels like it needs more context than other media, though that's probably not the case anymore.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Only True 90s Kids will get this show

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I thought the bees and black oil stuff was cool to begin with, but it really went nowhere on the TV show. The first movie was enough of a capper for the show really. At that point you know aliens are definitely real in the X-Files universe, and that was pretty much the point of the show.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Looks like they got rid of all the MST3k episodes and gave us Groundhog's Day.

I love Groundhog's Day.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Mulder searching for his sister was hugely annoying and any episode involving searching for Mulder is downright unwatchable. Any episode that doesn't involve either of those are generally pretty watchable. I think you do have to go in recognising that there really wasn't anything else like the X-Files on when the show first got popular. So a lot of the stuff that is par for the course now was pretty new then.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Franchescanado posted:

Looks like they got rid of all the MST3k episodes and gave us Groundhog's Day.

I love Groundhog's Day.

I guess this should've been covered in the thread earlier: Shout Factory started their own free streaming site. They have 34 MST3k episodes, along with stuff like the full run of Home Movies, selected episodes of Lavern & Shirley, the full first season of Newhart, and some others (just in case you ever wanted to watch a few episodes of the old Supermarionation show Stingray, I guess). Movie-wise it's your standard selection of cheap licenses: B-movies, concerts, a couple old Jackie Chan movies, etc, with the occasional odd inclusion like the Kentucky Fried Movie or A Boy and His Dog.

Some of the stuff they have is just embedded Hulu videos, but others they seem to be hosting themselves. Even amongst the MST3k stuff, some are Hulu and some aren't. I dunno why they don't just pick one or the other, but at least they're all in one place.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Sort of along these lines, and I'm not sure if anyone using it has any opinions on it, Magnet Releasing has a $3 a month subscription service on Youtube for some of their movies, but I'm not sure how good the selection is and/or how much is already covered on other streaming services.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
yo at the end of the month they're taking down Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated.

you owe it to yourself to watch it, for real

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Edminster posted:

yo at the end of the month they're taking down Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated.

you owe it to yourself to watch it, for real

It's seriously great. Udo loving Kier, man.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

I experienced some kind of binge-watch drought recently and, being mildly desperate, decided to re-watch Prison Break.

It's just the best loving thing ever, and very smart about being stupid. The pace is ridiculously frenetic -- there is a cliffhanger at least four times per episode -- to the point where I can't believe none of the characters die from dangerously high blood pressure. These people cannot step on a bug without it loving up their plans and putting them all in mortal danger.

If you would like to know what would happen if MacGyver had to break out of prison, this is more or less the show for you. It does dip a bit in season four, but the actors are SO good at what they do that it remains very watchable. Especially T-Bag. But not Micheal Rappaport, who delivers one of the worst recurring performances on a network series I have ever had to endure.

Seriously: William Fichtner kills it. Robert Knepper kills it. Make a commitment. Do it.

And then stop after season 2 because Jesus Christ.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret is extremely good, especially if you like David Cross or Will Arnet.

ed: oh and Spike Jonze is in it too and I didn't recognize him until the final episode.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Erebus posted:

I guess this should've been covered in the thread earlier: Shout Factory started their own free streaming site. They have 34 MST3k episodes, along with stuff like the full run of Home Movies, selected episodes of Lavern & Shirley, the full first season of Newhart, and some others (just in case you ever wanted to watch a few episodes of the old Supermarionation show Stingray, I guess). Movie-wise it's your standard selection of cheap licenses: B-movies, concerts, a couple old Jackie Chan movies, etc, with the occasional odd inclusion like the Kentucky Fried Movie or A Boy and His Dog.

Some of the stuff they have is just embedded Hulu videos, but others they seem to be hosting themselves. Even amongst the MST3k stuff, some are Hulu and some aren't. I dunno why they don't just pick one or the other, but at least they're all in one place.

They have the Weird Al Show through Hulu, awesome! I hope they add WKRP since they just released the whole series on DVD and the first season has been on Hulu since forever. I suppose the music rights might prevent that though.

They should also put up Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, so everyone can experience that show.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 6, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Of course a major problem with some of these newer streaming sites is that there's no easy way to get them playing on my TV, even through a console or Roku or whatever.

EDIT: Okay they've got a Roku thing but no console option yet. Uggh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wa27 posted:

They should also put up Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, so everyone can experience that show.

It would be great to watch all 300 episodes or whatever it was again.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

X-Files is a product of its time.

I guess the only way I can explain it is we left the bubble-gum fun and the government can do no wrong of the 80's and went on into the 90's there were kind of remembered for its mistrust and apathy.

X-Files appeal, perhaps, was that it was a monster of the week/government conspiracy show tied all into one.

On one hand we get to see the pulpy monster of the week poo poo and oh wow, that there can be scary and who knows what limits mankind has, right? Technology sure is changing!

On the other hand government is pretty diseased and even a few people who want to do the right thing are ultimately trapped behind nefarious government machination and/or red tape.

But hey, overall its OK because these really aren't threats we created ourselves, the threats are because of some outside force.

So the 90's answer to that poo poo, what the gently caress can ya do about that?

Fight the future, I suppose.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 6, 2015

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Not sure how you get all that from it, it's very badly acted, badly shot, and really (really) badly written.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Not sure how you get all that from it, it's very badly acted, badly shot, and really (really) badly written.

The quality of X-Files varies from episode to episode and really varies from season to season. I won't argue that there are some clunkers, but there are also some really great episodes in the mix. I wouldn't write off the entire series based on (what sounds like) your bad experience with season one.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

The quality of X-Files varies from episode to episode and really varies from season to season. I won't argue that there are some clunkers, but there are also some really great episodes in the mix. I wouldn't write off the entire series based on (what sounds like) your bad experience with season one.

Fair enough, I just found it to be very bad so won't bother watching any more. I certainly didn't think there was any depth to it at all.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Watch Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose or Jose Chung's From Outer Space.

Really about any episode from season 3.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

mr.capps posted:

Watch Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose or Jose Chung's From Outer Space.

Really about any episode from season 3.

Okay

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Fair enough, I just found it to be very bad so won't bother watching any more. I certainly didn't think there was any depth to it at all.

The depth is there if you look for it. Like the editor who famously dismissed Nabokov's 'Vane Sisters', you just need to give it more credit than you have.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is pretty amazing if you liked 30 Rock at all. It's fantastic in general but that's an easy hook.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is pretty amazing if you liked 30 Rock at all. It's fantastic in general but that's an easy hook.

It's good you posted this, because my first exposure to it was when Netflix obscured three-quarters of my screen to blast a startlingly noisy NETFLIX PRESENTS CLICK THIS poo poo advertisement at me, and I wasn't planning on ever giving it a chance.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Yea, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt owns, owns hard. I didn't even know who Ellie Kemper was but she's hilarious. If you think Tina Fey is funny than this is a funny and good show.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Kimmy Schmidt thread here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704814

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

If you like 70s conspiracy thrillers like Three Days of the Condor or Day of the Jackal, I recommend The Boys From Brazil. There are several big name actors in it including a young Steve Gutenberg who plays an amateur Nazi hunter!