Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

Even then it's not like Emma's sexuality is an inherent problem since flaunting what she's got is perfectly in line with her personality

I agree with that too, I just don't want to argue in favor of a sexualized outfit with in universe reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Eh, even then that's like the loosest of "in-universe" reasons since the idea of a vaguely archetypal character's outfit reflecting their personality isn't a radical or spergy concept.

Like Power Girl explaining she has the tit window because she doesn't know what logo to place there? That's awful.

Power Girl having the tit window because she's a confident woman who likes showing off cleavage? That's at least understandable even if we all know the ultimate reason is "fans/creators find it hot."

That's why her outfit has never bothered me in the way say, Black Canary's classic look has. I have nothing against sexiness in superheroes, but I do have a problem with sexiness just for sexiness' sake, if that makes sense.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm still surprised Amanda Conner didn't slap Johns for writing that awful, "FILL MY HOLE SUPERMAN!" scene.

I don't even remember if that was in the Classified arc she drew or not. She still should've smacked him.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

She probably thought it was funny. You see the poo poo she draws, she probably has a great sense of humor about that kind of thing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I adore Amanda Connor but I've never gotten the impression from her work that she takes the dialogue/plots all that seriously beyond conveying them in the best possible manner.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
You guys know PG doesn't say "Fill my hole" in the actual comic, right?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Wait, the "fill my hole Superman" wasn't an edit?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I knew "fill my hole" was an edit, but the original scene isn't much better.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Has Polaris ever had a decent costume? The most iconic look I can think of for her is basically "Scarlet Witch but green."

That's pretty much her best look. All the others are pretty clunky.

This one is particularly awful.

Edit: gently caress the 90s.

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 6, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mirage posted:

You guys know PG doesn't say "Fill my hole" in the actual comic, right?

I think I did know that originally, but it's become so infamous, I think it overwrote the actual version in my memory.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Say Nothing posted:

This one is particularly awful.

She's had several costumes featuring yellow as one of the main colors for reasons I've never been able to guess. She was never even a member of Xavier's school as far as I can remember (as a student, I mean. Obviously she joined the X-Men later on but I don't see her as one of those people who wears their college sweatshirts for the rest of their lives. "Hey I went to A&M!" "We know, Lorna, shut up.")

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

Edit: gently caress the 90s.

Who looks at Wolverine's hair and thinks "Hmmm... Not far enough!"?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm gonna say Claremont.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That isn't a Claremont thing.

Get her in bondage then we will talk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

That isn't a Claremont thing.

Get her in bondage then we will talk.

Well, the dialogue does imply she's being mind-controlled to be evil...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gaz-L posted:

Well, the dialogue does imply she's being mind-controlled to be evil...

This is a fair point.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is a fair point.

Yes, it was Malice at that point.
Then Polaris lost her magnetic powers and became an energy-absorbing hulk for some reason.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm glad there's a visual cue in case the reader forgot where Polaris' vagina would be

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Gaz-L posted:

Emma is the one that perplexed me. If ever there's a characterisation that justifies the outfits, it's her. She wants you to know that her outfit consists of a quarter of the cloth of yours, and cost 10 times as much. Oh, and no, you never had a prayer of warming her bed, darling.

I immediately wondered why the White Queen was wearing black boots.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
drat, I was hopeful when I clicked on that link but just about all those redesigns are dull and drab as gently caress, nothing really pops. The only good ones are Storm, Sonja and Samus, and even the the Samus one is dumb in the context of what the suit is for though I do now want to see Tony Stark take off his armour and reveal a Liefeldian pouch lord covered in poo poo underneath.

Edit - I mean sure, Samus adding stuff to it as she goes along is a fair idea but on a basic level, it makes sense for the Zero suit it to be a very plain body/jumpsuit, the real problem is artists pandering to sex-starved nerds by sexualising it and depicting her in the depressingly common 'pneumatic woman in figure-hugging spandex' comics style.

Sentinel Red fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 6, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
As badly used as Samus' Zero suit frequently is that interpretation really misses the point.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The best Polaris costume is wedding dress + Magneto helmet made out of silverware.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Tracula posted:

I think most of them are a bit too much but the Samus one is really loving good. This is still my favorite example of her ever.

Edit: I mean, it's kind of a catsuit thing but it makes sense to me as something you'd wear under super-heavy power armor in a situation like that.

Thinking about a power armour suit as more of a jet fighter or tank makes the Samus design make a lot more sense. It looks like an evolution of her experience piloting it. After however many hours she knows where she needs more padding or armour.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

As badly used as Samus' Zero suit frequently is that interpretation really misses the point.

I think a focal element is how frequently Samus's Zero suit is used is a problem in the first place.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

Even then it's not like Emma's sexuality is an inherent problem since flaunting what she's got is perfectly in line with her personality, but that "reimagining" really is barely different from her very first outfit.

She's wearing black boots now. Because if it's one thing Emma Frost is known for, it's wearing non-white colors.

edit: beaten

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Neat project with female illustrators redesigning some women from games and comics

I really like this Power Girl design, because it addresses two of the things that I usually think get missed when the character's costume is looked at for this stuff:
1. The cleavage is not necessarily a problem (the mesh par of the top acknowledges that it could certainly be an element)
2. If you're going to get rid of that as an element of the top? Replace it with something interesting. Too many PG redesigns just plug the boob window and call it a day. Maybe slap some jeans on her if they're feeling really daring. This one came up with an actual idea. Not sure how I feel about the I/O symbol, but it does fit the name, and the character's tech magnate shtick, so... I like it more than I don't?

Also, the hand wraps are bad-rear end.

I dislike the Polaris one though, mostly for colour palate. If you're keeping the green hair, keep the green in the outfit, or at least avoid yellow.

I really like the Power Girl one, except the I/O symbol. If only because it seems like it belongs on a hero based around technology (or if you're reaching, electricity). It just seems like if you gave her that costume in comics, then sooner or later you're gonna have some hi-larious writer (or a bunch) writing jokes where criminals ask what the symbol's for and she explains it's because she's powerful, duh.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
If they ever went with that design, I demand there be a running gag where people or enemies try to shut her off by hitting the logo.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

NotAnArtist posted:

I'm glad there's a visual cue in case the reader forgot where Polaris' vagina would be

I can't decide if they weren't even trying or trying a little too hard.

"gently caress it, I'm just slapping a big 'ol dick on her!"

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Die Laughing posted:

She probably thought it was funny. You see the poo poo she draws, she probably has a great sense of humor about that kind of thing.

She had a great sense of humor when I spoke to her at a convention.

As far as that Power Girl concept goes it's nice but I would miss the half cape.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I really like the Power Girl one, except the I/O symbol. If only because it seems like it belongs on a hero based around technology (or if you're reaching, electricity). It just seems like if you gave her that costume in comics, then sooner or later you're gonna have some hi-larious writer (or a bunch) writing jokes where criminals ask what the symbol's for and she explains it's because she's powerful, duh.

I kinda hate that too. PeeGee has never had a logo of her own, and attempts to give her one have always failed, like the boob-circling P from her Worlds' Finest costume, or back when she was using the Atlantean origin and had Arion's magic sigil as her belt buckle.

Don't much like the mesh top. It seems like an awkward attempt to strike a compromise between her older "LOOKIT! BOOBS!" costumes and an actual top. The alternate is a bit better.

And a jacket with a spandex bodysuit? It's no longer the 1990s, thanks.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Why can't they just close the boob window and leave the rest of the costume alone. It's still a great costume without cleavage.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

Why can't they just close the boob window and leave the rest of the costume alone. It's still a great costume without cleavage.

There've been similar projects that came up with pitches that are literally just this, and no. It's not. It's like saying "just remove the lightning bolt from Ms Marvel's outfit!" (Either Kamala or Carol). You end up with a big chunk of negative space that looks unfinished. And I know the usual argument is that the epaulette is enough. I disagree.

I actually think the PG design is one of those cases where the other tack has worked. Not changing the costume to suit the character, but going "what kind of person would wear this?" and building a personality around it. Sue Storm having a cut-out to show off her boobs is completely tacky and misrepresenting the character in pursuit of T&A and objectification. Karen Starr just knows she's awesome, and doesn't mind showing a little décolletage. Again, the issue is not simply that some costumes show off bodies. It's the consistent use of them to depict women as sex objects, and the prevalence of those designs that is the issue. If stuff like the current Batgirl or Ms Marvel designs were the norm, then PG and Emma Frost wouldn't even be mentioned.

(Still think the handwraps on the power button outfit are cool as poo poo, though.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SirDan3k posted:

Because when they do it, they always have it get torn right there in every fight she's ever in anyway.

See also, Fairchild.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Endless Mike posted:

Because when they do it, they always have it get torn right there in every fight she's ever in anyway.

See also, Fairchild.

No costume can prevent sexy battle damage, literal armor that is the source of the heroines powers will get sexily damaged. The lauded Batgirl costume will get sexy damage before it's time is up and show off her invincible underwear

And I simply disagree that the window removal leaves too much blank space.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Having a plain white costume does sort of present it's own challenges, but I think has generally been addressed by the piping on her outfit that most patterned costumes don't bother with - it works fine to give the costume some texture and shape so it's not just negative space.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

SirDan3k posted:

No costume can prevent sexy battle damage, literal armor that is the source of the heroines powers will get sexily damaged.

Isn't this pretty much the entire running plotline of Empowered?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I have the same issue with the trunk removal on the Superman suit, and you can't argue that they didn't add a crapton of lines and detail when that happened. It just leaves a big space where nothing interesting is visually happening with the outfit. The only costume that's ever really pulled that off is Daredevil, and that still has the chest logo and distinct trunks most of the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Amazing Spider-Man had the same problem with too much unbroken blue. It looked off.

Part of that is probably being accustomed to the little red belt he's always had though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Gaz-L posted:

I actually think the PG design is one of those cases where the other tack has worked. Not changing the costume to suit the character, but going "what kind of person would wear this?" and building a personality around it. Sue Storm having a cut-out to show off her boobs is completely tacky and misrepresenting the character in pursuit of T&A and objectification.
To be fair, that famously tacky outfit was part of a long-running arc about Sue being possessed by a malevolent entity and even within the comic itself people on the street were telling her how terrible and distasteful it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

To be fair, that famously tacky outfit was part of a long-running arc about Sue being possessed by a malevolent entity and even within the comic itself people on the street were telling her how terrible and distasteful it was.

Sadly as hipsters everywhere prove just because you say you're doing something while aware of the irony doesn't mean you're actually having your cake and eating it too, you just look like a douchebag.

The royal "you" by the way, not you specifically Ghostlight. We got no beef.

• Locked thread