Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

I feel so sorry for the video editor who has to loop through Bush's stutters to stitch these together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY28BChrCQc

I love that most of the dates for the quotes thrown up on the black background are almost old enough to drive. A Record To Believe In before your grandchildren were born and everyone was talking about smartsyphones or whatever the hell !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Possibility of a Gore run is the best news I've heard in a while. He won before, he can do it again.

The last time he ran he was known as a vice president for a resonably popular administration. Now he's known as that guy who flies around talking about global warming and a had dropped sexual harassment suit. Yeah I think he would have a good presidency, but he's not getting anywhere near the nomination; Slo-Tek pretty much said it all.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

there are way better retiree options than Gore

Carter/Mondale vs Bush/Quayle vs Perot/Ventura 2016

make it happen

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I really wish I knew what an Obama presidency would've looked like if half the country and congress didn't have an absolutely visceral response to the color of his skin.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Anyone *could* but Hillary is still a fairly bad candidate and I honestly think Gore would be a better (and more left-wing) president.

2001 Gore would be a better president than present day Hillary. Present day Gore though? Nope. You have to be cold and calculating like Nixon if you're going to make a comeback run like that. Gore isn't. Hillary though? Yes. 2008 made her that way if she wasn't already completely there.

2016 is going to be terrible unless somebody comes out of the woodwork. I wish Gillibrand was a governor or Cuomo wasn't a dipshit.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I really wish I knew what an Obama presidency would've looked like if half the country and congress didn't have an absolutely visceral response to the color of his skin.

Somewhat similar to the Clinton presidency, I would imagine.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

-Public option+everywhere has expanded Medicaid.
-More stimulus spending/more infrastructure spending passed using the phrase "just like Ike did".
-Better/faster economic recovery as a result.
-Ferguson probably still would have happened, but might have lead to real introspection about race afterward, maybe even with Obama leading the charge.

Oh, and Republicans would be cheering their hearts out over Obama bombing ISIL, and asking why can't all Democrats be super :black101: like him in fighting terror.

It would be pretty awesome, in other words.

DaveWoo posted:

Basically yeah.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 6, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Obama would never have supported a public option, that was off the table from the beginning.

The main difference would be an earlier economic recovery due to increased federal spending and stimulus earlier on, and fewer self-inflicted disasters -- shutdown, sequestration, etc.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

do you mean "if Obama was white" or "if half of the country and congress weren't overtly racist"

p. different scenarios I reckon

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 22, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Obama would never have supported a public option, that was off the table from the beginning.

The main difference would be an earlier economic recovery due to increased federal spending and stimulus earlier on, and fewer self-inflicted disasters -- shutdown, sequestration, etc.

Obama would have supported whatever he had the votes for. He deliberately left the details of it alone so that it wouldn't be "his" bill, making it too easy for Congress to run away from it.

I agree with you on the rest.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I'd even be satisfied with this same level of dislike as long as it wasn't via these really gross and stupid avenues like "he's a secret muslim" or "There's just something about him that makes me FOAM AT THE MOUTH AT THE SIGHT OF HIM. Don't know what it is, just know it makes me act and talk like a huge racist. Weird." Like go ahead and talk about how much you hate that he made insurance easier and cheaper for everyone, but this poo poo is just scraping the bottom of the barrel.

PupsOfWar posted:

do you mean "if Obama was white" or "if half of the country and congress weren't overtly racist"

p. different scenarios I reckon

I suppose the "if he was white" option was the one I was imagining. Mainly because the idea of the Tea Party and their elected representatives operating on something other than the "There's just something about him!" fuel is very hard to envision.

The one thing mentioned that really makes me wonder is what the military operations thing. I wonder if it would've been too much of a lift for these people to hate on a man for nabbing Bin Laden and fighting ISIS just because he's a Democrat. And what kind of capital that could've bought around the country.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 6, 2015

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I don't believe that at all. Any lack of support for a public option from Obama was based on his terrible negotiating skills: Make your opening offer where you think a compromise will end up. This had the effect of making the middle ground the "liberal" position and Republicans always responded relative to where Obama was, not where their previously stated principles were.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
This stupid alarmist stuff over Hillary going to be a terrible president is starting to get a tad old. Yeah sure she isn't Bernie Sanders or Warren, but with the current Republican flame out pushing everyone farther to the left I'm at least semi-hopeful for some cool stuff to happen.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Hillary would make a perfectly fine president. It's just the baggage and eventual campaign damage she'll bring in to office will be worse than most new presidents. It's pretty clear going in these things, if she's elected, will impede her ability to govern. My preference for someone other than Hillary is that I want someone with a clean slate.

I also believe in Santa.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I think this Clinton email thing has legs and isn't going away soon -- and I don't mean in a BENGHAZIBENGHAZIBENGHAZI way though that will certainly happen as well. Not only is it a call-back to a variety of negatives historically surrounding the Clintons, it brings up a whole host of questions about motive and proper decision-making in the here-and-now.

The most harmful part about it all is that it's a problem of her own making and we've seen how, in 2008, self-inflicted wounds caused the Hillary campaign no end of trouble.

This is a colossally dumb thing for the Clinton campaign to have done to itself over what should have been a mere administrative "check the box" item handled upon her immediate exit from State.

I think it's going to fall off because the past 40(40? Holy poo poo.) years of being constantly assailed with bullshit fake scandals has rendered Hillary more or less immune to the effects of any actual scandal less than, like, some House of Cards poo poo. I feel like the GOP cried wolf so many times that nobody will come when they do have something.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Look Sir Droids posted:

Hillary would make a perfectly fine president. It's just the baggage and eventual campaign damage she'll bring in to office will be worse than most new presidents. It's pretty clear going in these things, if she's elected, will impede her ability to govern. My preference for someone other than Hillary is that I want someone with a clean slate.

I also believe in Santa.

Hillary would probably get more stuff done than Obama did before Obama figured out the world hates hims because Hillary figured out the world hates her 15 years ago.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

I get where you're coming from and I agree to a certain extent, but this issue is actually "a thing" and isn't bullshit. Now, it may be possible to make it seem like bullshit by successfully marrying it to the GOP's three-mile-high opp file on the Clintons, but there are some serious questions about the email server that should be addressed.

I think it's a real thing, but 2016 is so far away and Hannity is already doing segments where he tossed it in with Benghazi and Orgy island or whatever that was. It's not real enough to survive that (at the moment).

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

I get where you're coming from and I agree to a certain extent, but this issue is actually "a thing" and isn't bullshit. Now, it may be possible to make it seem like bullshit by successfully marrying it to the GOP's three-mile-high opp file on the Clintons, but there are some serious questions about the email server that should be addressed.

i seriously can't see people caring about this. it's going to flare for a while, then clinton is going to do a mea culpa or something and then it will be done and she won't even have announced that she's running yet

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Remember all those times the GOP followed through on their promises to get Roe overturned?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

No, it is actually nothing. She broke no laws, and possibly not even recommendations. It's certainly not a good thing, but lots of people of both parties have used private email servers while in office so it's not even particularly unique.

It's just the latest shiny thing for the anti-Hillary crowd (left and right) to chase after.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The problem with the email thing, even if it is a Thing, is that there's nothing to do about it. There's no jail time. No real punishment to be meted out. She basically neglected to put a coversheet on her TPS reports.

In comparison, Sandy Berger took classified documents and hid them in his pants. He didn't go to jail. He didn't pay a fine. He just had his clearance suspended for 2 years.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Let's be honest --- I'm all for Sanders (a good president) or Biden (the best president) in 2016. Sure, Hillary is cool and all, but can you see anyone besides Biden or Sanders doing the poo poo Obama has been doing? All of the social media videos he did were great. He even ruined 'Thanks, Obama' so I don't have to hear that stupid poo poo all the time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Venom Snake posted:

Hillary would probably get more stuff done than Obama did before Obama figured out the world hates hims because Hillary figured out the world hates her 15 years ago.

I kind of feel like Oblammo figured he could get the right on board with his ideas by compromising and being nice to them. While I admire the idealism we all see how well that went.

Hillary would at the very least understand that the right wing hate machine is going to do its thing no matter what and plan accordingly.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I guess a good way to scandal-proof yourself would be to have made up scandals thrown at you for literally decades, then when some real scandal hits just be all like, "There you go again." I bet you could get away with some Nixon level poo poo, and I wonder if she'll try.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

9) Did Hillary rape and murder a small child in 1987?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GreyPowerVan posted:

Biden (the best president)

:lol: No.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
If Biden gets anywhere near the potus seat you can kiss any progress on the war on drugs goodbye.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

GreyPowerVan posted:

Let's be honest --- I'm all for Sanders (a good president) or Biden (the best president) in 2016. Sure, Hillary is cool and all, but can you see anyone besides Biden or Sanders doing the poo poo Obama has been doing? All of the social media videos he did were great. He even ruined 'Thanks, Obama' so I don't have to hear that stupid poo poo all the time.

I'm not going to tell you how to vote but perhaps there might be some better criteria out there for choosing a presidential candidate?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hey man, I meant him being a good president for entirely different reasons than Sanders. I think Biden would just turn the trolling up to 11 after what we've seen from him in the last 8 years.

MaxxBot posted:

I'm not going to tell you how to vote but perhaps there might be some better criteria out there for choosing a presidential candidate?

Since I'll be voting for our next president, Hillary Clinton, does it really matter? I just think it would be pretty funny, and anything is better than bush 3.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

If Biden gets anywhere near the potus seat you can kiss any progress on the war on drugs goodbye.

California's legalizing next year, no matter what happens or who's on the ticket. Any discussion of the war on drugs needs to occur in this context, which changes the conversation so completely that it's hard to talk about it meaningfully right now.

More than twice as populous as all four legalized states plus DC, combined. Billions of dollars in tax revenue talk louder than any culture warrior.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Look Sir Droids posted:

9) Did Hillary rape and murder a small child in 1987?

Hillary never said she wasn't a lizard alien from Mars sent here to destroy America. Why hasn't she? What if she is a lizard alien from Mars? Hey, I'm just asking questions.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I don't know how you say this with certainty as we have yet to learn about the entire set-up.

Questions that I have, just off the top of my head:

1) Was clintonemail.com email subject to FOIA requests while Clinton was SOS?
2) If so, who performed the review to determine which emails were producible?
3) Were any national security laws broken by hosting this material privately?
4) Were any intrusions or hacking attempts made on the server?
5) Were they successful?
6) What security safeguards were in place?
7) Who administered the server?
8) What was their security clearance?
9) Why were the emails not turned over to State upon Clinton's departure?

and so on...

Nobody gives a poo poo about the answers to any of those.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Is there any proof that Hilary Clinton did not check a box indicating that she was a minority to receive favorable treatment during any stage of her employment? Someone needs to get on this.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Deteriorata posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about the answers to any of those.

Incorrect. ABC News gives a poo poo about it. :v:

(I don't and I'm considering removing them from my news feed)

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Deteriorata posted:

No, it is actually nothing. She broke no laws, and possibly not even recommendations. It's certainly not a good thing, but lots of people of both parties have used private email servers while in office so it's not even particularly unique.

It's just the latest shiny thing for the anti-Hillary crowd (left and right) to chase after.

I haven't seen anybody stating the bloody obvious for a long time here so just for the sake of any stranger to these forums, I'll do it. The "scandal" about her acting apparently within the letter of the law is simply to obfuscate the fact that the JEB had published so many SSN's and other private data when he published his emails just a few weeks prior to this. So the Republican response was to dig up something about HIllary's email to try to muddy the waters, and then to broadcast it as loud, shrill and long as possible, so if any Democrat were to mention the JEB's lack of computer literacy or of respect for personal data of his constituency, they will be able to cover their ears and start screaming about emailGhazi, and most Americans who just generally don't give a rat's rear end and get their news from the headlines on the newspaper rack at the gas station will see it as no difference really. It's the most predictable, elementary tactic imaginable, and one that reflects the Republicans party's essential character: tactics before ethics.

As has already been mentioned, the fact that she didn't use the department's email server has apparently not been a big secret. Given what we know about her only significant opponent on the R- ticket and his email screw-ups, the timing of it suddenly becoming a 'scandal' should say everything you need to know about its veracity and significance.

It's just another Ghazi. We'll see more, plenty more. And utterly typical of the contemporary Republican party, it's the same old tactic of accusing your opponent of what you have done or plan to do soon. If the JEB hadn't screwed up with his emails a few weeks ago they would probably have never thought to bring it up.

SnakePlissken fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 6, 2015

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hillary never said she wasn't a lizard alien from Mars sent here to destroy America. Why hasn't she? What if she is a lizard alien from Mars? Hey, I'm just asking questions.

Maybe she was too busy eating babies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

• Locked thread