Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

redbackground posted:

Also, again, probably not what you're looking for, but of course there's an Elseworlds one-shot called Batman: Reign of Terror that stars Captain Bruce Wayne as Not The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Strangely enough I actually read Reign of Terror last night. It's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

MrCompson posted:

A few months ago I started getting into comics again, after not really reading any since high school, and even then I mostly just read a handful of comics in trades (Sandman, Y: The Last Man, Preacher, Bone and some Alan Moore stuff). I'm basically looking for a pretty broad range of new comics to add to the pile (concluded series or ongoing are both fine), but crime fiction/noir or character driven comics of any kind are of particular interest to me. I'm enjoying several ongoing Marvel comics, so I'm not opposed to adding more superhero comics to the reading list either (Hickman's FF/F4 run is definitely on my radar). As far as comics I've read lately go, I've really loved Saga (being badgered into reading Saga got me into comics again), Fraction's Hawkeye, Bone (my favorite comic growing up and after a re-read I can safely say I still love it), Stray Bullets, Brubaker's crime/noir comics, Scalped, Southern Bastards, Thor GOT (I think I have a thing for Jason Aaron), Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and Ms. Marvel. Most of the comics I've been reading are from the last couple of years, so you can probably assume I'm unfamiliar with anything going back further than that.
I also have a pretty big (at least compared to what I expected) pull list:

Image:
Black Science, Chew, Copperhead, Deadly Class, Death Vigil, East of West, Lazarus, Low, Manhattan Projects, Rat Queens, Saga, Sex Criminals, Shutter, Southern Bastards, Stray Bullets, The Fade Out, The Wicked + The Divine, The Woods, Tooth & Claw, Velvet

DC/Vertigo:
Batgirl, Batman, The Kitchen

Marvel:
Avengers, Black Widow, Captain Marvel (considering dropping it), Daredevil, Elektra, Hawkeye, Inhuman (probably dropping it soon), Loki - Agent of Asgard, Ms. Marvel, New Avengers, Nova, Secret Avengers, Silk, Silver Surfer, Spider-Gwen, The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Thor, Uncanny Avengers

Boom! Studios
Cluster, Lumberjanes

You've got a great list there already, but, if you liked Sandman, drop everything else and start reading Lucifer. It is *better* than Sandman. Holy poo poo, was that a great book.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MrCompson posted:

I'm basically looking for a pretty broad range of new comics to add to the pile

Well, you read pretty much everything I would recommend except for Casanova. Check that out. There's three completed runs and a fourth one began last month.

You may also like Daytripper.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Shameless posted:

Strangely enough I actually read Reign of Terror last night. It's awful.

Just gave it a look and yes. Confirmed for awful. But I'm really just looking for art of different styles about the event for a fair use educational type project. I've got tons of paintings, some photos of items, and now a handful of screenshots of basically everything in the comic that isn't identifiably Batman.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

MrCompson posted:

crime fiction/noir or character driven comics of any kind are of particular interest to me.

You've read V for Vendetta, right? That one's top of the list for this.

Transmetropolitan, by Warren Ellis - You probably want just the first trade. It establishes very solidly the themes and tone of the entire series, and it's self-contained. If you like it, don't be afraid of pursuing the entire series, it's very visceral, and it's cyberpunk (the kind of cyberpunk that borrows a lot from noir).

Hitman, by Garth Ennis - If you get any of the trades, it's fun comedic ultra-violent action, for the most part. If you manage to read the whole thing, it's one of the better executed character-driven story in comics. Amazing ending.

Grendel, by Matt Wagner - Grendel is very experimental, each arc is done in a different storytelling and art style. "Devil by the Deed" is the more noir-ish in the series, although elements of crime and detectives are used extensively in other arcs. If you want more, I recommend the "Devil's Legacy" storyline.

James Robinson's run on Starman - Hard to find, but in terms of superhero stories, this is the best character-driven stuff I know of.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cyphoderus posted:

James Robinson's run on Starman - Hard to find, but in terms of superhero stories, this is the best character-driven stuff I know of.

Nope, they did a six part omnibus a few years back. The hardcovers might be hard to find, but the paperbacks are readily available!

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

Try the Dennis O'Neil run of The Question from the 80s. It's great, but I'm not sure how to acquire it nowadays.

I'll check this out if I can get my hands on it. It doesn't seem to be available digitally and the physical copies seem pretty scarce/expensive/overpriced on amazon and ebay. I'm pretty poor though (grad school :argh:), so unless I can find someone to loan it to me or find it digitally it's probably out of the question for now.

Soonmot posted:

You've got a great list there already, but, if you liked Sandman, drop everything else and start reading Lucifer. It is *better* than Sandman. Holy poo poo, was that a great book.

I think I might have the first TPB of Lucifer lying around somewhere, but I don't think I ever read it. I'll check it out for sure, though.

Uthor posted:

Well, you read pretty much everything I would recommend except for Casanova. Check that out. There's three completed runs and a fourth one began last month.

You may also like Daytripper.

These both seem like they're right up my alley.

Cyphoderus posted:

You've read V for Vendetta, right? That one's top of the list for this.

Transmetropolitan, by Warren Ellis - You probably want just the first trade. It establishes very solidly the themes and tone of the entire series, and it's self-contained. If you like it, don't be afraid of pursuing the entire series, it's very visceral, and it's cyberpunk (the kind of cyberpunk that borrows a lot from noir).

Hitman, by Garth Ennis - If you get any of the trades, it's fun comedic ultra-violent action, for the most part. If you manage to read the whole thing, it's one of the better executed character-driven story in comics. Amazing ending.

Grendel, by Matt Wagner - Grendel is very experimental, each arc is done in a different storytelling and art style. "Devil by the Deed" is the more noir-ish in the series, although elements of crime and detectives are used extensively in other arcs. If you want more, I recommend the "Devil's Legacy" storyline.

I read V for Vendetta and Transmetropolitan in high school. I loved V for Vendetta, but I didn't really like Transmetropolitan for reasons I can't remember. I might revisit it. I'll definitely look into Hitman, Grendel and Starman, though.

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone. Feel free to pile on more, though. :toot:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

MrCompson posted:

I'll check this out if I can get my hands on it. It doesn't seem to be available digitally and the physical copies seem pretty scarce/expensive/overpriced on amazon and ebay. I'm pretty poor though (grad school :argh:), so unless I can find someone to loan it to me or find it digitally it's probably out of the question for now.

Huhhuhhuhuhh
I'm really hoping Vol 1 comes back into print soon, it's been out of print for years. You can get the rest of them here for a reasonable price.
http://www.instocktrades.com/search/question
Also don't worry about the first volume, I went a long time without it and the rest of the series is worth reading anyways.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 2, 2015

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Uthor posted:

Nope, they did a six part omnibus a few years back. The hardcovers might be hard to find, but the paperbacks are readily available!

They only did two volumes in paperback, cancelled the line before vol 3 came out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shameless posted:

They only did two volumes in paperback, cancelled the line before vol 3 came out.

Really? loving DC.

(where's the rest of my JLI???)

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MrCompson posted:

I think I might have the first TPB of Lucifer lying around somewhere, but I don't think I ever read it. I'll check it out for sure, though.

These both seem like they're right up my alley.

I read V for Vendetta and Transmetropolitan in high school. I loved V for Vendetta, but I didn't really like Transmetropolitan for reasons I can't remember. I might revisit it. I'll definitely look into Hitman, Grendel and Starman, though.

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone. Feel free to pile on more, though. :toot:

Lucifer is pretty amazing. I just finished the last trade of the re- release and it is one of those books you wish could go on but are just glad it exists as it is. I Kill Giants is great. Read it around the time that I read Daytripper. Have Kleenexes handy for both. DMZ starts out pretty good. I haven't finished it yet though. Sweet Tooth?

Edit:

You can get the Parker Martini Edition for pretty cheap used. I recommend this to everyone. Huge slipcased hardcover that you can grab for around $30? Its a steal.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 3, 2015

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The only thing to watch out for on Starman is that Robinson has an absolutely amazing collection of tics that you will become quite, quite familiar with by the end of his run. (Not to say you shouldn't read it anyway, though.)

You might also check out Torso (Bendis/Andreyko), a fictionalization of a true murder case in Cleveland involving Eliot Ness searching for a serial killer. Speaking of Bendis, Powers is worth a look, too; it's about a police unit that investigates superhero-related crime and has a number of noir elements in it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

sporklift posted:

Lucifer is pretty amazing. I just finished the last trade of the re- release and it is one of those books you wish could go on but are just glad it exists as it is. I Kill Giants is great. Read it around the time that I read Daytripper. Have Kleenexes handy for both. DMZ starts out pretty good. I haven't finished it yet though. Sweet Tooth?

Edit:

You can get the Parker Martini Edition for pretty cheap used. I recommend this to everyone. Huge slipcased hardcover that you can grab for around $30? Its a steal.

DMZ started out great, but I dropped it about halfway through because it started to meander too much. Maybe I should go back and give it another go now that it's over.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

Soonmot posted:

DMZ started out great, but I dropped it about halfway through because it started to meander too much. Maybe I should go back and give it another go now that it's over.

it ends better, but not as strong as it started

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So I'm looking for something fairly specific, and that's a series that ends at a logical point. I've read a bunch of series like this: Preacher, Y:the Last man, Deus Ex Machina, Starman, Transmetropolitan, 100 Bullets, Scott Pilgrim,Sandman, Hitman, Planetary, the Invisibles. Couple caveats: I will not read Cerebus. And I'd rather avoid series that were cancelled despite being good reads (i.e. Aztek, which I've heard nice things about).

Also, is Grant morrison's Doom Patrol more accessible than the Invisibles?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So I'm looking for something fairly specific, and that's a series that ends at a logical point. I've read a bunch of series like this: Preacher, Y:the Last man, Deus Ex Machina, Starman, Transmetropolitan, 100 Bullets, Scott Pilgrim,Sandman, Hitman, Planetary, the Invisibles. Couple caveats: I will not read Cerebus. And I'd rather avoid series that were cancelled despite being good reads (i.e. Aztek, which I've heard nice things about).

Lucifer, Unwritten, Shade the Changing man

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Lucifer, Unwritten, Shade the Changing man

Unwritten and Shade I deffo have to get on, I forgot to include I'm currently plowing through Lucifer. Is Shade readily available?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Unwritten and Shade I deffo have to get on, I forgot to include I'm currently plowing through Lucifer. Is Shade readily available?

They have three trades, and the rest can be found on comixology.

If you want a comic that had a definite ending point and then kept going Fables would be it. Its also crap.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

a series that ends at a logical point.
Fury MAX: My War Gone By
PunisherMAX by Ennis
Watchmen
Suicide Squad (Ostrander)
Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
Scalped? Never read it, but seems to fit with a lot of your other books listed.

GMoz's Doom Patrol is fantastic, get it.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 4, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Scalped is really good and it fits in with what you are looking for.
Animal Man by Morrison
Question by O'neil
Hellboy (still going but has an end date)
BPRD (same)
The Fourth World

If you like Preacher Hellblazer is another one that ended, however if has multiple writers mostly really good, some bad, and Denise Mina.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
HAY GUYS MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE IS IN THE NEW HUMBLE BUNDLE

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

please read mtmte

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yes. It's full of dada and surrealist characters, but it's told quite plainly.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

DoctorWhat posted:

please read mtmte

Should I, if I have no childhood attachment or special interest in the premise of Transformers at all?

Invisibles is I think the most pointlessly arcane thing Morrison's ever written. In other words, absolutely yes.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 4, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

please read mtmte

I WILL. I'M TRYING TO CATCH UP FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE IDW-VERSE, BECAUSE I'M INSANE!

(also, is the Transformers book listed in the top tier just the retitled RID, or the older run?)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cyphoderus posted:

Should I, if I have no childhood attachment or special interest in the premise of Transformers at all?

It's a very good comic book with great art and writing... so yes?? I dunno, I'm not a huge transformers fanboi or anything but I think it's really great.

edit: Also the Original Uncanny X-Force is great and finishes with a big THE END and we can just pretend they didn't start the series up five minutes later with a different writer and undo everything.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 5, 2015

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

It's slightly shorter and lighter than a lot of those Vertigo titles and I'm not sure it entirely falls into "logical ending point," but I always appreciated the tight plotting of Locke and Key. Hill's novel writing experience definitely seems to factor into it, everything is a part of a very clear arc and I imagine pretty much all of it was written with the big story beats and ending already planned out.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Promethea by Moore
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (sorta) by Moore
Moore's Swamp Thing
Criminal by Brubaker
Sleeper by Brubaker
Fatale by Brubaker
Bendis' run on New Avengers (stop when Siege ends)
Ghost Rider by Aaron
Woverine & the X-men by Aaron, sorta
Fear Agent by Remender
Venom by Remender had imo a pretty logical stopping point
F4 by Hickman
Glory

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-Men Legacy by Si Spurrier is only 24 issues, and wraps up all its plot threads nicely. Matt Fraction's Defenders does the same in 18 issues. I think both were meant to go on longer, but neither feels super rushed, and it's pretty obvious that the endings we got were going to be the eventual endings of the series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Kieron Gillen's run on Journey Into Mystery is basically a self-contained story that has a very specific ending. It's technically been followed up on, I understand, in the current Loki book, but there's no actual need to read that, and the story works fine without any continuing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's not entirely self-contained, it crosses over with New Mutants and Mighty Thor and starts out as a Fear Itself tie-in.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The Kid Loki run of Journey into Mystery has a brief (and imo not necessary) crossover with Thor but is otherwise self-contained and was a great story.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

It's not entirely self-contained, it crosses over with New Mutants and Mighty Thor and starts out as a Fear Itself tie-in.

I didn't actually bother reading any of the rest of Fear Itself beforehand, and JiM was perfectly good and understandable anyway, it felt like. :shrug: (I've since read more of Fear Itself, and wish I'd kept my joyful ignorance.)

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

So I bought the Transformers Humble Bundle and started reading MTMTE vol.1. Are all of the comics this OCD? It seems like very two pages they switch scenes and characters and more than once I have gone back to see if I missed something. It also references past books a lot and all the spiky transformers look the same but pallet swapped. I am confused and apparently racist against Cybertronians.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

sporklift posted:

So I bought the Transformers Humble Bundle and started reading MTMTE vol.1. Are all of the comics this OCD? It seems like very two pages they switch scenes and characters and more than once I have gone back to see if I missed something. It also references past books a lot and all the spiky transformers look the same but pallet swapped. I am confused and apparently racist against Cybertronians.

It calms down before long and the characters become more visually distinct as the art evolves.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Skwirl posted:

X-Men Legacy by Si Spurrier is only 24 issues, and wraps up all its plot threads nicely.

I just finished that, and his run on X-Force. Has Spurrier done anything else worth tracking down? Silver Surfer In Thy Name? I read his 40k novels back when they first came out and didn't realize it was the same guy until I hit up wikipedia (which mostly lists one shots and a bunch of stories in british anthologies?)

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Thanks to whoever recommended Locke & Key. It's really, really good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

bagrada posted:

I just finished that, and his run on X-Force. Has Spurrier done anything else worth tracking down? Silver Surfer In Thy Name? I read his 40k novels back when they first came out and didn't realize it was the same guy until I hit up wikipedia (which mostly lists one shots and a bunch of stories in british anthologies?)
He wrote an X-Men mini-series before his X-Men: Legacy run called X-Club. It's based around the Science Club from Fraction/Gillen's Uncanny.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I love Geoff John's Booster Gold run and the original Justice League International trades. What other issues and series have awesome Booster Gold and Blue Beetle adventures? Good solo adventures of either of these characters are also welcome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

dragon_pamcake posted:

I love Geoff John's Booster Gold run and the original Justice League International trades. What other issues and series have awesome Booster Gold and Blue Beetle adventures? Good solo adventures of either of these characters are also welcome.

The original Booster Gold run, Countdown to Infinite Crisis, Blue Beetle (2006), Formerly Known as the Justice League, and JLA Classified #4–9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

dragon_pamcake posted:

You should look into new issues of Justice League 3000 (start with #11, I think?), where JLI Booster and Beetle are awoken in the year, well, 3000 a la Fry from Futurama. It's written by Giffen and DeMatteis, too.

Have you read Formerly Known As The Justice League and I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League?