Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

StandardVC10 posted:

You heard it here first folks, New York City school children don't get Christmas or Easter off.

To be fair, not getting Easter off would be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
They're putting prayer mats on the school supplies list for next year.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Agreed we need more reasons for people with legal authority to kill to be twitchy and paranoid and more incidents that inspire sympathy from the general public so they can keep murdering unarmed blacks with impunity. Good post imo.
i lust for cop death

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Dirk the Average posted:

To be fair, not getting Easter off would be a problem.

They hate Jesus so much they force kids to come in on Sunday!

poo poo that's gonna get misread and picked up by a conservative news outlet now, isn't it?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hazo posted:

What the absolute gently caress?

The Ten Commandments are only in front of some of the courthouses in America.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

My Face When posted:

On the subject of Grammer, I found this Jezebel article about his 1995 memoir.

This was hilarious, thanks. Kelsey Grammer is monumentally deluded and I wonder what happened in both his and Ben Stein's lizard brains that made them conservative.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What a coincidence that neither of them have had any real roles in the past, what, ten years?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

a shameful boehner posted:

This was hilarious, thanks. Kelsey Grammer is monumentally deluded and I wonder what happened in both his and Ben Stein's lizard brains that made them conservative.

Ben Stein was more far gone than Kelsey at least after he starred in Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Expelled:_No_Intelligence_Allowed

quote:

The movie has been severely criticized for conducting interviews with people who represent the scientific consensus on evolution under deceptive circumstances. The scientists, who included noted American biology professor P. Z. Myers; British ethologist, evolutionary biologist and science author Richard Dawkins; and American physical anthropologist Eugenie Scott, were told they were being interviewed for a movie called Crossroads on the Intersection of Science and Religion. In fact, they were being interviewed to appear in creationist propaganda.[3][4] Intrepid internet researchers have uncovered[5] that the domain name ExpelledtheMovie.com (as well as .net, .org, .info, .biz & .us) was already registered as of March 2007.[6] Though Crossroads was later touted as the "working title," no comparable domain name was registered. Myers was contacted in April 2007, after the title Expelled had apparently been chosen.
The producers have also been accused of bribing schools into forcing kids to see the movie.[7]

quote:

"Love of God and compassion and empathy leads you to a very glorious place, and science leads you to killing people." - Ben Stein

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ben Stein's dad worked for Nixon, so I don't think there was ever much hope to begin with...

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Radbot posted:

What a coincidence that neither of them have had any real roles in the past, what, ten years?

Kelsey grammer did have Beast in X-Men 3. A terrible movie, but I feel he played the part well.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

site posted:

Ben Stein's dad worked for Nixon, so I don't think there was ever much hope to begin with...

Ben Stein himself was a speech writer for Nixon, you mean.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

WrightOfWay posted:

Ben Stein himself was a speech writer for Nixon, you mean.
gently caress. I'm sure you're right. I just remember he was part of a probably koch-funded documentary I had to watch for econ where he showing off photographs, but I was thinking he said they were his dad's.

Technical Analysis posted:

Kelsey grammer did have Beast in X-Men 3. A terrible movie, but I feel he played the part well.
Playing Frasier in a blue suit probably wasn't too much effort for him after so long in the part lol

site fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 6, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Frasier itself is a bangin good show and it only too me turning 30 to realize it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

StandardVC10 posted:

You heard it here first folks, New York City school children don't get Christmas or Easter off.

Reminder that the President of the United States of America puts a Christmas tree up in his house, which is a highly visible landmark and a symbol itself.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
With the latest trends being towards declaring yourself "non-religous" (even those who, by all other metrics, are) I wonder if American Christians trying to run the table on their GodMonopoly on this country has been a net gain or not. I left the church even before I became a raging liberal and nothing major they've done since has endeared me towards them at all.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

With the latest trends being towards declaring yourself "non-religous" (even those who, by all other metrics, are) I wonder if American Christians trying to run the table on their GodMonopoly on this country has been a net gain or not. I left the church even before I became a raging liberal and nothing major they've done since has endeared me towards them at all.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but a lot of these people seem to think America since the 1960s when we really started to get serious about keeping church out of state (with rulings that struck down school prayer and states being allowed to ban teaching evolution) is an aberration. And clearly the natural state of America is to revert back to being all up in with Christian God once again, like the good old days.

So they think that loudly shouting at God just this one more time will reactivate the Jesus Center in everyone's brain and they can be in charge again.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Frasier itself is a bangin good show and it only too me turning 30 to realize it.

First few seasons anyway, then it fell into that godawful place sitcoms go after a few years when the sexual/romantic tension gets resolved by actually hooking up and/or platonic friends decide they should gently caress for no reason at all.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

First few seasons anyway, then it fell into that godawful place sitcoms go after a few years when the sexual/romantic tension gets resolved by actually hooking up and/or platonic friends decide they should gently caress for no reason at all.

While this is true, those seasons set up one of the best jokes in the series where pregnant Daphne falls down and Niles, Frasier and their dad are helping her up and someone remarks that she's so big it took three Cranes to lift her.

:boom:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Whoa, whoa now. Niles and Daphne was handled perfectly throughout the show, and after they got together the fact that they were now a couple progressed naturally and seamlessly through the last four or so seasons. Frasier and Roz hooking up once was preceded by at least one episode years earlier where it almost happened under convincing circumstances, and then when it did it turned into an episode where they recognize and affirm how strong their friendship is and how much they do love each other in a platonic way. None of that was done because of some kind of lack of ideas by the writers, and I'd happily argue that the last five or so seasons of the show were far and away some of the strongest and funniest.

Maybe this was a Fraiser nerd trap sprung, but I've been re-watching the entire series over the past six months with my girlfriend and the show holds up brilliantly with the single exception that the mild slut-shaming directed at Roz as a punchline wears a little thin. Otherwise it is superb and your opinion is poo poo :colbert:

e: Grammar's personal politics are pretty stupid and poo poo but I gotta give it to him that that never bled into the show in any way. He may be a shithead actor but he was a drat professional.

How are u fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 6, 2015

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I've heard devout Christians tell me they're non-religious before.

Upon further prodding, it's because it's about having a "relationship" with Jesus, not worshipping.

I still don't quite get it and still think they're full of poo poo.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Thump! posted:

I still don't quite get it and still think they're full of poo poo.

They are, it's the same phenomenon of Dems/2004 or Repubs/2008 saying they aren't part of any party and are moderates or something of that sort. It's bullshit, but it's still pretty telling about the reputation of the org you're leaving behind.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Grammer was the star of Boss, which although it got cancelled after the second season and is thus unresolved, was a decent show despite a gratuitous amount of sex scenes. Seems like a suitable role for him if he's as full of himself as that memoir would indicate.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Frasier was so boring, white and elitist, perfect for the republican party.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah you have to wonder how the dude denounced Birchers as crazies while agreeing with like 99% of what they said.

By speaking out of both sides of his mouth and having true believers campaign for him. Before The Storm really is the under appreciated Peralstein book with Nixonland and now Invisible Bridge shining bright.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

a shameful boehner posted:

I thought Grammar's sister or someone like that got murdered and that shaped a lot of his worldview.

I don't agree with him on like anything but he still seems like he'd be a cool dude to hang out with.

E: kidnapped, raped, and murdered by a spree killer actually. Goddam. Also his dad was murdered as well

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 7, 2015

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Frasier was so boring, white and elitist, perfect for the republican party.

With an over-reliance on farce, so yeah.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I feel so bad for y'all Frasier hating contrarians :negative:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Frasier is like the Big Bang Theory except the nerd references are replaced with overeducated wealthy white people references. So I guess it's exactly the same then?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
For some reason recently I was thinking about the Miles Morales/Black kid spiderman thing and how Sheldon from BBT is candidate number 1 for nerd who gets angry about that and then has to explain why it's not a racist thing.

Also as a reluctant fan of both I have to say Frasier is better than BBT, but was also aired in an era where jokes were allowed longer than 2.5 seconds to be set up and delivered.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Agreed we need more reasons for people with legal authority to kill to be twitchy and paranoid and more incidents that inspire sympathy from the general public so they can keep murdering unarmed blacks with impunity. Good post imo.
Those poor, poor cops. So terrified of poo poo that doesn't happen that they are forced to courageously murder black child after black child in what is obviously good and righteous self defense against the specter of things that literally never ever happen. If only a thing that has never happened not even one time in the entire history of America happened less, maybe our brave boys in blue wouldn't have to gun down so many menacingly fleet-footed grade-schoolers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pope Guilty posted:

Frasier is like the Big Bang Theory except the nerd references are replaced with overeducated wealthy white people references. So I guess it's exactly the same then?

It's a rich white man minstrel show?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

meh.

I kind of wonder if there's an interesting litmus test to see whether someone who is a conservative is an rear end in a top hat or not. Grammar seems to be one of the "I'm rich" :smug: republicans and not so much the Phil Robertson-types that seem to really make up the base.

I don't think Kelsey is racist/homophobic, etc in the way that most of the party is. Does he support the party that hurts those groups? Yes. But I don't think his viewpoint is intentional in that regard.

In the same way I think Dennis Miller is VERY islamophobic, but I get the sense he actually leans left on quite a few things. Miller also has not seemed to alienate himself from several friends who are fairly prominant on the left. Al Franken, Jon Stewart, Chris Rock and Dana Carvey all still speak extremely highly of him for example.

On the flipside? Kevin Sorbo is a jackass. I don't quite cringe upon seeing Dennis or Kelsey being involved with conservative causes because they really don't come off as vindictive assholes. They don't whine about how "LIEBERAL HOLLYWOOD SABATOGED THEIR CAREERS". They just make a few unfunny jokes, collect a paycheck and shrug things off. Sorbo? Yeah that's a big time cringe fest.

I agree with you on everything except Miller. I've seen him quite a few times on Bill O'Reilly's show, and he comes off as a pretty hateful tool.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

How are u posted:

e: Grammar's personal politics are pretty stupid and poo poo but I gotta give it to him that that never bled into the show in any way. He may be a shithead actor but he was a drat professional.

That actually goes deeper than you think; when Cheers was still running Grammer had a raging cocaine habit and was basically permanently drunk, all the time. He would show up on set late and be completely shattered out of his mind. However, when the scene started he would instantaneously switch to Frasier from the coked-out, barely coherent drug guy. Then when it was over he'd suddenly be the sluggish junkie again. Didn't matter what poo poo that guy had going on he could drop it all in a heartbeat.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That actually goes deeper than you think; when Cheers was still running Grammer had a raging cocaine habit and was basically permanently drunk, all the time. He would show up on set late and be completely shattered out of his mind. However, when the scene started he would instantaneously switch to Frasier from the coked-out, barely coherent drug guy. Then when it was over he'd suddenly be the sluggish junkie again. Didn't matter what poo poo that guy had going on he could drop it all in a heartbeat.

Thing is, this is a fairly common story among people with substance abuse problems who are professionals of one sort or another. Often times they do an amazing job of holding poo poo together when it comes to their livelihood... until it begins unraveling, and quickly.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Dennis Miller used to be funny and entertaining, then 9/11 came along and just completely broke his brain.

Well, either that or I was a teenager back then and that explains why I found him funny pre-9/11.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

The Rokstar posted:

Dennis Miller used to be funny and entertaining, then 9/11 came along and just completely broke his brain.

Well, either that or I was a teenager back then and that explains why I found him funny pre-9/11.

I always assumed that the people laughing at Dennis Miller were just trying to cover for the fact they don't recognize his constant outdated references.

Conservative radio is the perfect place for him. They're the only outlet with an old enough demographic to get his jokes.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

The Rokstar posted:

I used to watch him on SNL in the 80's and was a big fan. He was sharp and clever, and then...like you said...9/11 broke him. After that his jokes took on a nasty, angry tone. Then he fell in with the neocon crowd, the conservative radio world, and he became a very sad version of his former self.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Has anyone posted this: http://www.ifyouonlynews.com/the-media-behaving-badly/a-defeated-rush-limbaugh-admits-hes-outdated-and-irrelevant/

Is this too much to hope for? Could he really be losing that much audience?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

clockworkjoe posted:

Has anyone posted this: http://www.ifyouonlynews.com/the-media-behaving-badly/a-defeated-rush-limbaugh-admits-hes-outdated-and-irrelevant/

Is this too much to hope for? Could he really be losing that much audience?

My assumption, because I am broken and cynical, is that he realizes his demographic is literally dying and wants to keep being a fat ball of rage but is looking for some new audience to be angry with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

How long until he switches to that new, hip media of podcasting as the only source of publication?