Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

YAY, I was just spinning tires on my new PC this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
I just popped my steam group cherry after all this time. I have internet friends.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

angry stoner on steam, though all I really play is CS:S.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Mat_Drinks posted:

Do any of you have a good primer (for lack of a better term) that you can point me to for the '15 F1 season? I'd like to follow it a little more, but beyond the big names and knowing that Eccleston has contempt for my existence, I'm not familiar with that particulars in the way I'd like to be.

Check out the Beer Junction in West Seattle when you get a chance. It's been. my mecca for the past six years.

I could probably tell you everything you needed to know about the upcoming MotoGP season, but I know absolutely nothing about F1.

And I may or may not have already spent an unreasonable amount of time and money at Beer Junction. Actually getting ready to move into an apartment about 3 miles away from it next month. I'm already getting sympathy pains for my wallet.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Its taken 4 god drat years, but on Tuesday at 2:30pm I FINALLY get the keys to my house. Anyone whos friends with me on facebook will have seen the process of the build, but it essentially boiled down to 3.5 years of being dicked around by the land developer and then 160 days to go from cut to handover. I've had the last 2 weeks off, this is week three and then I have next week off and have been flat out doing poo poo for the house, including busting my loving foot falling into a trench...

http://sa.rivergumhomes.com.au/home-designs/silky
Built ourselves a silky. Brand new 4 bedroom home for under A$200K, and we added a SHITLOAD of stuff to it- huge ensuite, verandahs around 90% of it, massive alfresco area...

Port-o-bog of doom is gone, water pod is around the corner hooked up to the house water system now so we have water when we move in too. The hot water service (solar) is working, kinda. Dumbfuck plumber broke the sensor line from the roof panel then tried to just join it and it didnt work, so the controller wont turn the pump on to circulate on its own.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's great news, hope you can start to enjoy it quickly.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

My morning is off to a great start; five minutes ago I pulled a Sammy Sosa and hurt my back sneezing, and just now I inadvertently ate part of a plastic bag.

Gonna be one of those days, I guess.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Would anyone be interested in a writeup of my Tesla Model S test drive?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

bolind posted:

Would anyone be interested in a writeup of my Tesla Model S test drive?

Yep. I never get tired of reading about those things.

So I installed an SSD in my desktop yesterday. I formatted it and installed Windows 8.1 successfully. Rebooted back into my old HDD running windows 7 so I could more easily copy everything I want to save onto a third drive. Restarted the computer, and it goes into a boot loop before the POST screen. Only way to stop is to cut power. Will be diving into it today..just hope it's not the MOBO. My case is crammed so tight I really don't feel like pulling everything out.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

angryhampster posted:

Yep. I never get tired of reading about those things.

OK, here goes.

My girlfriend was in town (LDR) and I figured we should do something, so I, inspired by a friend, went online and booked a test ride. A day later or so I was contacted by a very nice person on the phone, and we finalized the appointment.

The car was a Model S, as stock as they come, I think, in the dark red. Similar to this one:

So the sales guy walks us through the car from the outside. First impressions are huge trunk, with bonus huge subtrunk (in the bumper/behind axle area) PLUS frunk. Tons of cargo space, and there's even the option of going for the twin rear facing child seats in the trunk.

So, inside it's nice. Leather n-way power seats, adjustable steering wheel, mirrors of course, etc. You can add a personal profile and the car will re-adjust everything based on that. Dashboard is, of course, just a flat panel, and in the middle there's the iconic 17" portrait touch screen (think giant iPad) that does navigation etc. Everything gearstick related is missing, so the center console is even with the floor, there's just a small "fence" to hold your bag. It's another big "compartment", I think it could almost hold a cabin sized suitcase.

On to the test drive. I backed out, which the rear facing camera made quite easy once I learned to trust it, and got going. There's only forward, reverse, and neutral/park, so like an auto, except there's just one gear, and all the torque on tap from a standing start. It's braking quite hard when off the gas (this can be adjusted in software, to make it more like a normal slushbox.)

It drives super nice and quietly when just cruising. Very comfy. But getting on the accelerator, it really moves. Granted, this is by far the highest HP car I've ever driven, by a fair margin, but still... from a standing start, it'll put your license in jeopardy in a heartbeat, and it had loads and loads of passing power on the freeway.

Handling wise, it's evident that this is a big, heavy car. It does its best, but it will never be a go-cart.

I think it was like getting a glimpse into the future, for the following reasons:

• Everything, navigation, seating position, WiFi, GPS, all that stuff, is so, so well integrated into the car, and it should be. It's the exact opposite of paying thousands for factory navigation only for it to be surpassed by a $200 Garmin four years later. Everything works, is integrated, and you can tell it's possible to update in pure software, making it last much longer.
  • Battery powered cars are here to stay. The range of this car would satisfy 95%+ of my driving needs, and with a little planning, all of it.
  • There's so much junk you can do away with on an electric car, and maintenance suddenly drops to a fraction. The first scheduled maintenance item on a Model S is a transmission oil change at 150k km. Doing away with junk also means awesome interior room, and cargo capacity.
  • I got the feeling that the designers at Tesla started with a clean sheet of paper, and it shows, and it's awesome.

Now, my opinion is a little biased due to the fact that electrical cars here enjoy a huge tax break. It's literally half the price of, for instance, a fully loaded BMW 5-series, and of course a car in that class is going to be very, very nice. Still, if I could get a car similar to the one I am currently driving (BMW E87 1-series), just made by Tesla, I'd seriously consider it.

If there's any specific questions, feel free to ask, and I'd urge anyone to drive one given the chance. I think this is the way things will be going over the next decade, and I like it very much.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MrChips posted:

My morning is off to a great start; five minutes ago I pulled a Sammy Sosa and hurt my back sneezing, and just now I inadvertently ate part of a plastic bag.

Gonna be one of those days, I guess.

I woke up late and am now even later because my stomach is hosed. Then I have to get to work, give motorcycle safety training, and lead our command motorcycle ride...while trying not to poo poo myself.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Somehow I still haven't taken one of these on a proper test drive but they seem like pretty nice cars. I'm hoping they can hit all the numbers they keep promising for the Model 3 because that seems like it would be a perfect replacement for the TDI when it finally shits the bed.

Your post reminds me I need to test drive more cars. I practically have free reign to test drive anything the from the dealership chain my friend and brother work for but haven't taken them up on it.

iwentdoodie posted:

I woke up late and am now even later because my stomach is hosed. Then I have to get to work, give motorcycle safety training, and lead our command motorcycle ride...while trying not to poo poo myself.
Hate to laugh at your misfortune but that has to be one of the best post+username combos in a while.

First car show of the season tomorrow morning. Going to be cold and I'm not even sure if I'm going to bother going.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 6, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

iwentdoodie posted:

Sorry, but god drat, this is both ironic, and funny as gently caress.

But I know what you mean. My GI tract has more issues than a Jaguar, I have to poo poo myself at the most random times. I have kept a food log and then what makes me go to the bathroom right away, and there isn't a single connection. :(

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Hey thanks for making me go price out Model S's for an hour, rear end in a top hat :colbert:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

I'm in! gotta really finish setting up my profile though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Mat_Drinks posted:

Do any of you have a good primer (for lack of a better term) that you can point me to for the '15 F1 season? I'd like to follow it a little more, but beyond the big names and knowing that Eccleston has contempt for my existence, I'm not familiar with that particulars in the way I'd like to be.

SAS usually does a decent write up, 2015 thread should be started soon since the race is a week away.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
lol http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198000742771

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hey Leica, your mailbox is full, but yeah I was taking everything negative with a grain of salt since SA loves to hate FL and negatives tend to be way louder than people who are positive. Literally anywhere is better than Detroit, and the big thing for this whole thing to work is for my FIL to stop drinking and go to rehab so he could actually be cool like he is when he's sober and not treat everyone like poo poo (we're afraid that if he quits drinking cold turkey like he quit chewing tobacco he would die, and he's super stubborn).

Last time my MIL told him it's her or the beer, he said see yah later but this time when she told him he said he had been thinking about that and would really like to stop drinking, so there's some hope, but he's been saying this for like 25 years so we will see.

Thanks again man :3:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Michigan is a frozen hellscape filled with people that are only there because they don't know any better or just really like places that actively hurt you.

Florida is like the half-way house for displaced Michiganders before they finally understand that Virginia is where it's at.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

Hey Leica, your mailbox is full

Holy poo poo, I don't think I've deleted anything since my reg date. Guess I have work to do :v:

Yeah the Florida trolls are a bit much, I don't get the SA hate for FL but whatever, 95% of them have never even been here.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Tabasco chocolate bars are awesome.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

leica posted:

Holy poo poo, I don't think I've deleted anything since my reg date. Guess I have work to do :v:

Yeah the Florida trolls are a bit much, I don't get the SA hate for FL but whatever, 95% of them have never even been here.

It's because the rest of us have been other places that Florida so we know what you're missing out on.

I've been to Florida. 1/10 would not breathe overly humid and muggy air again. :v:

E: also Florida is terrible for auto enthusiasts as you have no fun roads there.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Ignoring all the "Florida is full of awful people" stereotypes I still wouldn't want to live there. It's hot and humid most of the year and gently caress that, give me cold and snow for four months.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its finally nice out so this happened.

to

Yes, my pliers from my tool box are much better than anything else.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Mat_Drinks posted:

Honestly the 2015 F1 wiki page is great.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Formula_One_season

This new GQ interview with DC is pretty funny but informative on a basic level:
http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2015-03/5/f1-bbc-2015-david-coulthard-bullshitters-guide-to-formula-one

Also reddit's F1 community is HUGE. Their "newtof1" primer is outstanding.
http://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/wiki/newtof1

And this photo is basically all you need to know about the top drivers on the grid:

Very good chance Mercedes will win the constructor's championship again this year, as the rest of the teams are still playing catch-up to their powertrain tech. Ferrari has two *seriously* good drivers but their cars don't put power down quite as well as the Mercs. Red Bull has one very consistent driver (RIC) and one very aggressive (reckless??) driver (Kvyat), and an enormous R&D budget.

angryhampster fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 6, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its finally nice out so this happened.

to

Yes, my pliers from my tool box are much better than anything else.

So...hungry...

I get to have a grill again in just a few weeks!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Michigan is a frozen hellscape filled with people that are only there because they don't know any better or just really like places that actively hurt you.

Florida is like the half-way house for displaced Michiganders before they finally understand that Virginia is where it's at.

TBF, my brother is almost done with his BS in ME and he already has a job with Key Safety Systems designing auto safety equipment, he told me he'll probably never leave because he likes having seasons and he likes the cold and I personally think he doesn't realise how lovely Detroit is yet. It's also one of the new big TechTowns so there's that too

SFH1989 posted:

Ignoring all the "Florida is full of awful people" stereotypes I still wouldn't want to live there. It's hot and humid most of the year and gently caress that, give me cold and snow for four months.

I like hot and humid, and we have more like 6 months of cold because it starts snowing in late October and the sun doesn't show up much again until late April, and even then there's still usually snow on the ground until May. :saddowns:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And they said a 3D printer would be worthless

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geirskogul posted:

Planing a crime-fighting career are we?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's because the rest of us have been other places that Florida so we know what you're missing out on.

I've been to Florida. 1/10 would not breathe overly humid and muggy air again. :v:

E: also Florida is terrible for auto enthusiasts as you have no fun roads there.

I've lived in many other places, I know exactly what I'm missing, and that's the poo poo weather the north is dealing with right now.

I get the hot/humid thing, it's not for everybody. I love tropical weather so it's ideal for me.

True the roads suck, the main reason I own a Miata is because it's a convertible :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Geirskogul posted:

Those are foolish people, there are so many uses for a 3D printer. Sure some of those uses might be pointless but that's not the point. What's the max size you can print?

Garage door guy just left after taking a bunch of measurements, pictures and weighing the door a few times. Should have a quote Monday to raise the rails two feet so they're tight along the ceiling. Time to triple check my measurements then place the order for my lift. I can't wait to have that for working on things but primarily for stacking cars.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Geirskogul posted:

Skyrim? Awesome!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

angryhampster posted:

And this photo is basically all you need to know about the top drivers on the grid:

LOL at everyone's super serious game-faces, and then Riccardio's massive poo poo eating grin. :allears:

Also, Vettel looks like a child left out so the grown-ups can play race cars.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

gently caress yes, in as T1g4h.

wallaka posted:

Skyrim? Awesome!

So glad i'm not the only one who immediately recognized that. I think I have like 3 or 4 of those Tribunal masks in a chest in one of my houses.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Nothing like the daily joy of having to deal with dipshit ops people who need every single little thing spelled out for them and argue with you about every single change you want to make.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Moxie Omen posted:

Nothing like the daily joy of having to deal with dipshit ops people who need every single little thing spelled out for them and argue with you about every single change you want to make.

How did you get ahold of my job description?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

How did you get ahold of my job description?

One got mad at me today because he took down a single instance that has a hostname pointing to it and put up a fresh one and apparently I didn't tell him he was supposed to change the DNS so how was he supposed to know???

So many things wrong with that entire thing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just found out I've paid off my student loan this month. Emoticons cannot express.

Literally just. I was emailing my mortgage broker, he asked for the balance so I sucked it up and phoned them (at 7:30pm) and I paid it off this month. That made my calculations a poo poo-load better.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Moxie Omen posted:

One got mad at me today because he took down a single instance that has a hostname pointing to it and put up a fresh one and apparently I didn't tell him he was supposed to change the DNS so how was he supposed to know???

So many things wrong with that entire thing.

Oh see I'm in health insurance so I deal more with soft stuff. At least once a month I'm dealing with "We lost coverage for this thing we didn't tell you about by moving to you guys. Fix it now or we are moving again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

Just found out I've paid off my student loan this month. Emoticons cannot express.

Literally just. I was emailing my mortgage broker, he asked for the balance so I sucked it up and phoned them (at 7:30pm) and I paid it off this month. That made my calculations a poo poo-load better.

Just think of all the poo poo you can buy with that leftover money each month.

While i have no student debt (Hurrr..) i have a lot of other debt, like a car, van, Snap-on balance, credit card, overdraft. Only had one job this week. : (

Also, loving insurance didn't get back to me about my Goods in Transit and Public/Employer's liability insurance, so work is still halted.

• Locked thread