Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Are they changing the frame to include a card type symbol at the top left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

So no Lili of the Veil reprint any time soon...

Just win a PPTQ they're RPTQ promos, you're a good magic player right?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

So if you play 2 lilianas, does that mean one of them dies and flips the other?

Yeah I imagine seeing oneself die from a paradox would be shocking enough to ignite one's spark.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Starving Autist posted:

No. All Double Face cards have a symbol there. It's just a new symbol from the Innistrad ones which were sun/moon.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

Why can't Liliana return legendary creatures?

My guess is that Magic Origins is a top-down flavor-built set, and they don't want her able to reanimate other DFC planeswalkers, or even worse, another copy of herself.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Elyv posted:

Because otherwise she'd be reanimating other copies of herself a lot, since an easy way to flip her is to cast a second one.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Starving Autist posted:

That's just the DFC indicator. The innistrad DFCs had "night' and 'day' icons there, these ones have pre- and post-spark icons.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

qbert posted:

This is untrue. Notice how no Abzan deck plays it. Whisperwood isn't as good in decks that aren't creature heavy and if your colors can support Wingmate Roc, usually you play that instead.

In Temur you probably play Stormbreath over Whisperwood.

Abzan Aggro is starting to play Whisperwood over Roc as a curve topper. I'm sure that will continue.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kasonic posted:

Why would anyone hate DFCs? Like seriously, explain your anger to me.

Can't play with penny sleeves or top loaders??

Also now you can get a Planeswalker on your opponents turn. That will be weird and has some potentially interesting play.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

So Liliana can't return Liliana.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Elyv posted:

Mechanically, it's probably because you could do the silly "lilli, lilli flipping one, use planeswalker lilli to resurrect dead lilli" thing. Flavorfully, she probably isn't able to preserve personality and stuff past resurrections. I imagine raising her brother from the dead ended up being a massive, shambling, mindless disappointment.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

They'll probably just set up the print run so every pack with a DFC planeswalker comes with a checklist card

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Kasonic posted:

I don't hate DFCs but I do dislike them, because I find them clunky and annoying to play with.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Really interesting design on those DFC walkers, I'm sure people will eat that transforming thing right up. Would have liked to see them push the power a little considering they aren't as good as a regular walker.

moxiemag
Sep 12, 2013

Offtopic is dead. Long live Offtopic
the ajani furry

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kasonic posted:

Because I care more about function than flavor. DFCs were a decent way to get the flavor of Werewolves and stuff across (and probably the best of a bad lot), but they don't function very well. You either need checklist cards or you need to pull the card in and out of the sleeve multiple times and they hosed up the draft format and I don't feel like the payoff was worth it.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Of course the little kid likes Jace. :3:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

legoman727 posted:

no someone save hte kid please

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Really interesting design on those DFC walkers, I'm sure people will eat that transforming thing right up. Would have liked to see them push the power a little considering they aren't as good as a regular walker.

Liliana seems reasonably strong.

Also I'm looking forward to people countering removal spells targetting her by bolting/striking their own poo poo.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Because I care more about function than flavor. DFCs were a decent way to get the flavor of Werewolves and stuff across (and probably the best of a bad lot), but they don't function very well. You either need checklist cards or you need to pull the card in and out of the sleeve multiple times and they hosed up the draft format and I don't feel like the payoff was worth it.

The impact in loving up draft wont be as bad when DFCs are limited to five mythics instead of one in every pack

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cactrot posted:

Just win a PPTQ they're RPTQ promos, you're a good magic player right?

I'm trying...

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
sarkhan figuratively a self-made orphan AND self-made bastard holy poo poo

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

legoman727 posted:

If anyone still wonders why they push Jace so hard, this is why.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Glidergun posted:

Mechanically, it's probably because you could do the silly "lilli, lilli flipping one, use planeswalker lilli to resurrect dead lilli" thing. Flavorfully, she probably isn't able to preserve personality and stuff past resurrections. I imagine raising her brother from the dead ended up being a massive, shambling, mindless disappointment.

Worked well enough when she unhallowed Mikaeus.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Have they said that the planeswalkers are the only DFCs in the set, or coudl there still be other DFCs at lower rarity that do different non-planeswalker-related stuff?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Madmarker posted:

Holy hell, and I thought Angry Grimace had wrong opinions.

I think it mightve been Grimace who called the flip walkers lol

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

sarkhan figuratively a self-made orphan AND self-made bastard holy poo poo

Sarkhan, Magnificent Bastard

Terrible Horse posted:

I think it mightve been Grimace who called the flip walkers lol

Basically everyone called it, though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

The impact in loving up draft wont be as bad when DFCs are limited to five mythics instead of one in every pack

You're right, that particular gripe is an Innistrad thing. I'm still unconvinced that DFCs are worth all the headaches they produce.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Entropic posted:

Have they said that the planeswalkers are the only DFCs in the set, or coudl there still be other DFCs at lower rarity that do different non-planeswalker-related stuff?

The return of the Yung Instigator Gang?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

mcmagic posted:

Abzan Aggro is starting to play Whisperwood over Roc as a curve topper. I'm sure that will continue.

Actually the opposite. They tried Whisperwood when FRF first came out and quickly dropped it and went back to Rocs. I don't think there's been a Top 8 Abzan Aggro list at any major event in the last month playing any Whisperwoods.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

You're right, that particular gripe is an Innistrad thing. I'm still unconvinced that DFCs are worth all the headaches they produce.

I don't think dfc's are particularly bad for draft.

I mean, barring requiring checkcards or sleeves, the actual implcation wrt signaling isn't a huge setback/benefit one way or the other, they're just different.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 6, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

Print a common DFC tribal flip morph planeswalker with suspend.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And banding.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

qbert posted:

Actually the opposite. They tried Whisperwood when FRF first came out and quickly dropped it and went back to Rocs. I don't think there's been a Top 8 Abzan Aggro list at any major event in the last month playing any Whisperwoods.

Watch going forward. Whisperwood is amazing in the current Meta.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Considering Innistrad is considered one of the best draft environments of all time, I don't think DFCs really have much negative impact.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The creature side should have Plainswalk and the planeswalker should give banding.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

New Sarkhan may or may not be good, but I can't hate an ult that lets you vomit a bunch of dragons onto the battlefield.

DFC walkers seems kinda goofy but I guess we'll see how they all turn out.

Ed: Also possibility for other DFC reprints (read: Huntmaster)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Any audience question that takes over a minute to ask is a bad question.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
So because the DFC planeswalkers start as Legendary Creatures, they can be used for EDH, right? Count me aboard the hype train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Kind of annoying that LotV wont get a reprint in Origins, though its probable for MM15

• Locked thread