Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Let me come at this from another angle; is there any part of this, or any answers to those questions I posed that could might play out in a way that would cause you concern?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Incorrect. ABC News gives a poo poo about it. :v:

(I don't and I'm considering removing them from my news feed)

ABC News is owned by Republican-knob-polisher Disney. Watch Newshour.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Scott Walker is studyin' up on this whole "places other than the US" thing.

quote:

“I can pretty well guarantee you that he is not a subscriber to Foreign Affairs,” said Elliott Abrams, a prominent neoconservative who was among those briefing Walker at the Willard.

quote:

At the close of each meeting, Walker solicits reading recommendations and has told tutors he has already digested the 9/11 commission report and Henry Kissinger’s “World Order.”

quote:

“He’s been so wrapped up in his job in Wisconsin, which has been pretty sporty, that he has not spent a lot of time reading into these issues,” said John Lehman, secretary of the Navy under President Ronald Reagan. Walker visited Lehman in New York on Feb. 19. On foreign policy, he said, “He is not strong in details or what to do about it, but he gets the problem.”

quote:

“He has not shown much expertise or familiarity,” [Rep. Peter] King said. “You can always learn the details — the names of presidents — but knowing how foreign policy works and understanding the nature of threats and how to counter them, you have to live with it, study it, and have a sense of history.”

quote:

“The world was on Reagan’s mind years, even decades, before he ran for president,” [Lee] Edwards said. “He spent the mid-to-late 1970s studying and discussing the issues on his radio program, so he was comfortable with any question that came his way. That’s something Walker can’t claim.”

quote:

Walker hired Michael J. Gallagher, 31, an former Marine captain and Senate Foreign Relations Committee staffer, as his foreign-policy aide. Gallagher has moved to Madison and began work this week.

Gallagher is little known outside of Capitol Hill. The Green Bay, Wis., native is still a PhD student at Georgetown University. “He just sent me some draft chapters for his thesis,” professor Andrew Bennett, Gallagher’s adviser, said this week.

quote:

Throughout his life, Walker, 47, has only occasionally traveled internationally. Michael Fleet, who taught Walker in a Marquette class on third-world politics, which covered Latin America and Africa, recalled Walker being “an ill fit.”

“He never really caught the wave, as it were, to any other level or dimension of international politics,” Fleet said. “He seemed to be a localist person.”

So, that's going well.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

“I can pretty well guarantee you that he is not a subscriber to Foreign Affairs,” said Elliott Abrams, a prominent neoconservative who was among those briefing Walker at the Willard.

Yeah Walker is probably on the FP crew, what a rag.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
He studied the 9/11 Commission report? How insane a conspiracy theorist is Walker that his handlers had him read that first when preparing for Foreign Policy?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Part of me hopes Putin tries some poo poo in Georgia again and Walker gets laughed off a debate stage when he starts talking about how he won't let the reds touch a single peach let alone hang their hammer and sickle on the side of Stone Mountain.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gyges posted:

He studied the 9/11 Commission report? How insane a conspiracy theorist is Walker that his handlers had him read that first when preparing for Foreign Policy?

"As we know, jet fuel can't melt steel beams." ~ Scott Walker, later this year, probably.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

"As we know, jet fuel can't melt steel beams." ~ Scott Walker, later this year, probably.

Impose Walker's face where appropriate.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

ABC News is owned by Republican-knob-polisher Disney. Watch Newshour.
Also watch Al-Jazeera America/Al-Jazeera English.

Seriously, finally getting Al-Jazeera America is one of the best parts of my new TV setup.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

I think this Clinton email thing has legs and isn't going away soon -- and I don't mean in a BENGHAZIBENGHAZIBENGHAZI way though that will certainly happen as well. Not only is it a call-back to a variety of negatives historically surrounding the Clintons, it brings up a whole host of questions about motive and proper decision-making in the here-and-now.

The scandal needs to be simple for it to have legs and bring down a politician.

Sanford? He ran off to South America to cheat on his wife.
Secret Service? The agents let a guy run across the White House lawn. They paid for hookers while on duty.
Iran-Contra? North sold weapons to Iran to pay for Contras.
Watergate? Nixon broke into the hotel to spy on the Democrats.
Etc.

The scandal here is too complex that the average American is not going to follow. The one liner is "Hillary hid emails to talk smack about Obama" which is pretty benign on its face. Once you start having to explain disclosure and why it was technically illegal because of new rules enacted by Congress only the most rabid Clinton detractor is going to think that this was a scandal.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

Scott Walker is studyin' up on this whole "places other than the US" thing.

So, that's going well.

You left out the best ones

quote:

Still, several conservatives who have met with him said Walker has the right temperament and with time can gain more knowledge, comparing his foreign-policy outlook to President George W. Bush. Abrams said Bush viewed diplomacy “as a form of politics. I saw that same phenomenon in Walker. Things like never make a pledge you don’t keep, never break your word or you will not be trusted again by friends or opponents.”

quote:

Just as then-Texas Gov. George W. Bush did in 1999, Walker is trying to swiftly gain a fluency with foreign leaders, geography and history; recruit a coterie of national security advisers; and articulate a comprehensive foreign policy to help voters see him as commander-in-chief material.

quote:

Walker is also seeking counsel from several hawks in George W. Bush’s administration — including Abrams, Bush’s deputy national security adviser, and Marc A. Thiessen, a Post columnist and former Bush speechwriter known for his staunch defense of waterboarding and other interrogation tactics barred by President Obama. Walker selected Thiessen to co-write his 2013 book, “Unintimidated,” and the two men became confidants during hours of Skype conversations each weekend.

He is doing this studying to turn him into W, and this is held up as a good thing by a Walker defense piece

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

I saw that same phenomenon in Walker. Things like never make a pledge you don’t keep, never break your word or you will not be trusted again by friends or opponents

The fake-Koch prank call determined this...was a lie.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

quote:

Walker hired Michael J. Gallagher, 31, an former Marine captain and Senate Foreign Relations Committee staffer, as his foreign-policy aide. Gallagher has moved to Madison and began work this week.

Gallagher is little known outside of Capitol Hill. The Green Bay, Wis., native is still a PhD student at Georgetown University.

I wonder what this is about.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The New Hampshire field office of Run Warren Run.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 22, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Lote posted:

The scandal needs to be simple for it to have legs and bring down a politician.

Iran-Contra? North sold weapons to Iran to pay for Contras.

Ah, yes, I remember the resignations of Messrs. Reagan and Bush.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

If Biden gets anywhere near the potus seat you can kiss any progress on the war on drugs goodbye.

Did Biden do much of anything on that front in the past 20 years or so?

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Hillary hid every single one of her emails.

Doesn't rhyme with ____ died. Clearly needs work.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Joementum posted:

Multiple people got tried and convicted. I was mainly referring to Ollie North.

Hillary hid every single one of her emails.

'Like I hide my emails from other people?' That doesn't scream "This is bad" on its face.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Joementum posted:

Isn't Sanford Governor again too?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Spun Dog posted:

Isn't Sanford Governor again too?

He's back in the House. Has won two elections since the scandal.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Lote posted:

Multiple people got tried and convicted. I was mainly referring to Ollie North.

Ah yes, Oliver North. There's a man who was really ruined by that scandal and never worked again in this town.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Biden vs Carson

quote:

"Eight, 10 years ago — even two years ago — homophobic statements would have been, if not embraced, not viewed as having generated any political liability. Look what's happening in the other party today," Biden said in a speech at the Human Rights Campaign in Washington. "Seriously, don't misread the political trends in history here. Now, every ridiculous assertion — from Dr. Carson on. ... I mean Jesus, God," Biden said to raucous applause. "I mean — oh, God," Biden said. "It's kind of hard to fathom, isn't it?" Biden cited the incident as indicative of a broader change in acceptance for gay people and others across the country. "Think about the universal ridicule. That wouldn't have happened two years ago, five years ago. It matters, it matters. It shocks the conscience that at this moment in American history, 29 states in America, people are denied basic dignity because of who they are or who they love," Biden said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jdvVt7C-t8

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Pictured: a man wearing a Yankees shirt and Yankees hat pin who brought glossy photos to New Hampshire for Martin O'Malley to sign. A.K.A.: someone that nobody likes.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

I get where you're coming from and I agree to a certain extent, but this issue is actually "a thing" and isn't bullshit. Now, it may be possible to make it seem like bullshit by successfully marrying it to the GOP's three-mile-high opp file on the Clintons, but there are some serious questions about the email server that should be addressed.

It's not a thing because only people who already dislike Hillary care about it. There are certainly a tonne of those people (including in this thread) but, and this is the critical part, no more after EMAILGATE than before.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

“He is not strong in details or what to do about it, but he gets the problem.”

Ladies and gentlemen, the next potential leader of the free world

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
is "Walker at the Willard" telling me that he met with Mitt

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
"The problem is Muslims right?"

*Advisor whispers to fellow damned soul*

"Well at least he gets that part"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mooyashi posted:

is "Walker at the Willard" telling me that he met with Mitt

The Willard is a hotel in Washington, D.C. and the origin of the phrase "lobbyist" because it was the place all the business interest dudes would hang out and try to chat up legislators in the lobby.

Belome
Jan 1, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

You left out the best ones

He is doing this studying to turn him into W, and this is held up as a good thing by a Walker defense piece

A guy who flipped his entire foreign policy philosophy because of one event.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Is this story about Jeb Bush putting mandatory jail time on weed charges and then excusing his daughter from them true? My google fu is failing me.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Jeb should really avoid losing any weight because the resemblance to his brother is already kind of freaky from some angles.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Is this story about Jeb Bush putting mandatory jail time on weed charges and then excusing his daughter from them true? My google fu is failing me.

His daughter Noelle was arrested for prescription drug fraud, not pot, so he's hypocritical on the issue, but not on the specific crime.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=91454

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Belome posted:

A guy who flipped his entire foreign policy philosophy because of one event.

:ssh: no, he didn't. He was drawing up plans to go into Iraq from the get go. He was always going to go down the path he did, 9/11 just gave him the political cover to exploit to do it.

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!
"Walker’s message resonates with some donors. Marc Goldman, a Florida businessman who funds pro-Israel initiatives, said he likes Walker’s worldview. “Everything can be complicated with layer upon layer of nuance added on until you paralyze yourself,” he said. “It just comes down to knowing the difference between right and wrong and acting accordingly.”

I Read that as: "this dullard would do whatever we want because he's less educated on foreign policy than the average college junior, all he needs to know is that Muslims are bad."

Having a President with an overly simplified worldview on foreign policy sure has worked out well for us in the past.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I suppose if you put everyone who was guilty of prescription drug crimes in Florida in jail there would be no such thing as Florida.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

“Everything can be complicated with layer upon layer of nuance added on until you paralyze yourself,”

I loving hate you so hard.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Joementum posted:

His daughter Noelle was arrested for prescription drug fraud, not pot, so he's hypocritical on the issue, but not on the specific crime.

and crack cocaine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

Impose Walker's face where appropriate.

But there isn't a clear shot of the horses rear end.

• Locked thread