Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
He looks exactly like Aquaman wearing a domino mask.

thebardyspoon posted:

This dude is probably going to get his throat cut on live TV then right?

On paper, he's actually a pretty bad matchup for Moonshadow. If she slit his throat, he could probably kill her while bleeding out by setting the entire surrounding area on fire. He would probably resort to that anyway if he suspected she was in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Carrasco posted:

He looks exactly like Aquaman wearing a domino mask.

On paper, he's actually a pretty bad matchup for Moonshadow. If she slit his throat, he could probably kill her while bleeding out by setting the entire surrounding area on fire. He would probably resort to that anyway if he suspected she was in the area.

Or she could run past him really fast and get behind something

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Invisibility powers always make me think too much, because comics and movies are all over the place about portraying them The typical rule of thumb is 'the invisibility goes as far as it needs to for the purposes of the story' but I always think it's bad storytelling if you don't give it specific rules and stick to those rules. For example :

Why would the clothes/knife be invisible? If it's touch-related why wouldn't the door handle or door itself become invisible? If she is not wearing gloves then would there potentially be fingerprints left over (Door handle, door frame) when she leaves? If she wears gloves, would gloves prevent the knife from being invisible? If the knife is invisible AND there's gloves, why wouldn't shoes transfer invisibility? With touch-based transfer if it goes past gloves where does it stop? Hold on to the door handle and it poofs, followed by the door, the hinges, the frame, the wall.... and so on and so forth.

Things like that. I always sit here and come up with a possible flaw in the invisibility, then I try to think of how they could explain that flaw, and so on and so forth. I actually think that movies and comics where the clothes DO NOT go invisible tend to have the fewest amount of holes for me to poke at.

How many other people like to nitpick about this stuff?

khy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 6, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My read on invisibility powers in general is that they're usually 'the things I want to be invisible are invisible, when they're working properly.

Though, I have to agree with the apparent goonsensus that Moonshadow's powers feel more likely to be perception based than physical. Have we seen whether she's invisible to cameras?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thespaceinvader posted:

My read on invisibility powers in general is that they're usually 'the things I want to be invisible are invisible, when they're working properly.

Though, I have to agree with the apparent goonsensus that Moonshadow's powers feel more likely to be perception based than physical. Have we seen whether she's invisible to cameras?

i believe the convenience store slashings were caught on surveillance, weren't they?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

khy posted:

How many other people like to nitpick about this stuff?
I put forth a theory that her invisibility is more of a mental ability few pages ago. Otherwise it makes no sense why some things are invisible and some aren't barring her clothing having the same properties that her body has while invisible. The page where Allison can see Moonshadow's eyes kind of puts more weight to that theory since it makes sense that MS might willingly drop parts of her veil but not the whole thing.

thebardyspoon posted:

This dude is probably going to get his throat cut on live TV then right?
Nah, that would be too easy. If he goes, it's going to be in some dark alley when he's on patrol.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Tollymain posted:

i believe the convenience store slashings were caught on surveillance, weren't they?
Yea, she has some predator-type effect.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
What if fireguy has thermal vision? Checkmate, Moonshadow!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Soonmot posted:

What if fireguy has thermal vision? Checkmate, Moonshadow!

That'd be a terrible power for someone who spreads heat around to fight. And give interviews apparently.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

At this point the guy should just show up in every newscast to poo poo on Allison, basically turn it into a job.

He could get hired by Fox News.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

T.G. Xarbala posted:

At this point the guy should just show up in every newscast to poo poo on Allison, basically turn it into a job.

He's probably a correspondant. Getting assholes who love to poo poo on others to speak on camera is like half of modern journalism.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It makes sense, because fighting crime or poo poo talking on the news, either way he's still...

A firestarter.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

A firestarter.

Twisted?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Well his name IS flamewar, innit?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Moonshadow probably has control over how much light she bends around herself but there's probably some weird wavery effects when she's directly touching something that she can't fully encase in a field, like that aforementioned door knob.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I don't think I've ever had more violent wishes for a comic book character than I have for Furnace. I actually think he's banging too hard on his shtick to be believable. He's Freep with superpowers. :psyduck:

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Warmachine posted:

I don't think I've ever had more violent wishes for a comic book character than I have for Furnace. I actually think he's banging too hard on his shtick to be believable. He's Freep with superpowers. :psyduck:

If it's any consolation I'm willing to bet that he just moved himself to the top of the target list. Of course if we're being charitable that may be his goal, to lure the killer in to to take them down.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 10, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
holy gently caress

that guy needs to die

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Goodbye, Furnace.

You were amusing for a while.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Sounds like he got burned in a few relationships, so now hates women with a fiery passion.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Warmachine posted:

Violet is still worse.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The symbolism of her part time job comes back into play.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nimby posted:

Sounds like he got burned in a few relationships, so now hates women with a fiery passion.

Naw man, there's this thing called the Blue Pill I read it on :reddit: it's about how all women are trying to steal our sperm to make us pay child support because they're eeeevil.

It's loving horrible that this guy isn't even a character, he's representative sample.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Warmachine posted:

Unfortunately the only thing excessive about his schtick is his powers. He's going to start an actual flame war. :rimshot:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It will be interesting to see how the government reacts to this, now that he's publicly promised to flame-murder rape victims.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rand Brittain posted:

It will be interesting to see how the government reacts to this, now that he's publicly promised to flame-murder rape victims.

I am guessing not much. Did Allison get anything for killing that one dude and threatening an entire mob? They were terrible people, granted, but she did not get so much as a slap on the wrist.

I think the government would want to avoid pissing off combat capable biodynamics. If they had a way to deal with them, they would not give them so much leeway.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Furnace and Moonshadow are active agents of US law enforcement, and Allison a famous former agent of the same. The law turns a blind eye when they inflict violence on civilians.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

nimby posted:

This post deserves more tinder love

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

quote:

I think the government would want to avoid pissing off combat capable biodynamics. If they had a way to deal with them, they would not give them so much leeway.

I get the impression that literally the only reason Furnace is a superhero is because the government offered him a paycheck before he found an excuse to become a serial killer, and so far his usefulness-to-liability ratio has been in his favor. He hasn't been implied to have any sort of particular self defense mutation like Allison, so either some handler is going to tell him to can it or, if he doesn't play ball, he'll wake up with a slit throat that can be blamed on the mystery slasher because a violent superhuman that won't do as told is too much of a liability.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 10, 2015

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I mean, the guy could be totally vulnerable to basic bullets. You know. Like a normal, non-firepowered dude.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Could we have had anyone else in the SFP universe talk about what Furnace said in panels 1 & 2? Because that's the first time in-comic that anyone has made that connection out loud and it's coming from that rear end in a top hat.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

mr. stefan posted:

I get the impression that literally the only reason Furnace is a superhero is because the government offered him a paycheck before he found an excuse to become a serial killer, and so far his usefulness-to-liability ratio has been in his favor. He hasn't been implied to have any sort of particular self defense mutation like Allison, so either some handler is going to tell him to can it or, if he doesn't play ball, he'll wake up with a slit throat that can be blamed on the mystery slasher because a violent superhuman that won't do as told is too much of a liability.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

Could we have had anyone else in the SFP universe talk about what Furnace said in panels 1 & 2? Because that's the first time in-comic that anyone has made that connection out loud and it's coming from that rear end in a top hat.

I don't know, I think he was being rather an rear end in a top hat in those panels. Now you're conspiring to commit vigilante murder even if you make a true rape allegation? Or even if it's private and (like Alison) you don't know you're being recorded?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

McNerd posted:

I don't know, I think he was being rather an rear end in a top hat in those panels. Now you're conspiring to commit vigilante murder even if you make a true rape allegation? Or even if it's private and (like Alison) you don't know you're being recorded?

Nah, that's panels 3+ all he says in 1&2 is that people who appear on the news are targets.

edit: Re read the page and saw panel 1. I'd argue that if the news did pull rape related stories just because of Moonshadow's actions it wouldn't be in anyone's interest except the hypothetical innocent person who is falsley accused. So yeah, now Furnace has one valid point and the rest is bunk.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 10, 2015

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

Nah, that's panels 3+ all he says in 1&2 is that people who appear on the news are targets.

edit: Re read the page and saw panel 1. I'd argue that if the news did pull rape related stories just because of Moonshadow's actions it wouldn't be in anyone's interest except the hypothetical innocent person who is falsley accused. So yeah, now Furnace has one valid point and the rest is bunk.

Not being argumentative but I've honestly lost you. Which is Furnace's valid point?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

McNerd posted:

Not being argumentative but I've honestly lost you. Which is Furnace's valid point?

"An invisible slasher is murdering people who show up in the news as being implicated in sexual assault. So if you accuse someone of sexual assault in a way that might show up on the news, you are guilty of attempted murder via invisible slasher. So, accusing people of sexual assault is wrong."

It's basically logical as long as you're prepared to rate a few possible murders that might have happened anyway over the interests of lots of assault victims who definitely exist.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

McNerd posted:

Anyone named in the news as a suspect of rape is at risk of being killed by the slasher since their M.O. is to target people in the news, which in a vacuum is a valid point since mistakes DO happen. Immediately after that he goes off the loving rails though about ~entitled bitches~ and how people should shut the gently caress up about rape.

E: like if it was a sane person they would probably spin this into a point of how maybe the onus here is on the media to take a few steps back from law enforcement and refrain from naming suspects in the current situation, and maybe raise a point that the media's all-consuming need to turn violent crime into a circus is kind of hosed up, but furnace is a giant tool so of course he's going to blame the victims.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 10, 2015

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Exactly. There's no validity to anything he said. If a vigilante is killing people who the media report as being accused of being rapists, the answer isn't for victims to keep it to themselves (under threat of being burned alive if they don't). The answer is to stop the loving vigilante, and at a stretch have the media keep quiet about such accusations in the meantime. His entire train of thought went down the wrong track right from the start.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Slashrat posted:

Exactly. There's no validity to anything he said. If a vigilante is killing people who the media report as being accused of being rapists, the answer isn't for victims to keep it to themselves (under threat of being burned alive if they don't). The answer is to stop the loving vigilante, and at a stretch have the media keep quiet about such accusations in the meantime. His entire train of thought went down the wrong track right from the start.

I'm guessing that there is now a race for who gets to kill/disable him first. I'm not sure if the train even got out of the station before derailing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

Anyone named in the news as a suspect of rape is at risk of being killed by the slasher since their M.O. is to target people in the news, which in a vacuum is a valid point since mistakes DO happen.
Yeah, this is his only valid point. And since Moonshadow has kept the same M.O across all of her killings (except the soldiers) it wouldn't be possible for anyone to just brush off each death as an isolated crime.

quote:

E: like if it was a sane person they would probably spin this into a point of how maybe the onus here is on the media to take a few steps back from law enforcement and refrain from naming suspects in the current situation, and maybe raise a point that the media's all-consuming need to turn violent crime into a circus is kind of hosed up
Both of these would definitely help. I don't think that a complete media blackout would help anyone but a little caution until this current criminal is caught would go a long way.

• Locked thread