Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Filoni on Vader:

quote:

“It’s tricky. I’ve said it in interviews – I don’t think our Rebels are a match for him, on any level. Our guys are like level three, maybe they got to level four this season. What’s Vader, like level 80? They’re not even rolling the same number of dice, for God’s sake. It’s not even close here. So it’s a challenge to write believable scenes, mainly from our heroes’ side, that you believe they could have any success in this next season because there are some very heavy hitters that have been brought in to deal with them. But that’s a good challenge.”

I know it's been joked about but they really are just loving making a West End RPG campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hakkesshu posted:

Filoni on Vader:

I know it's been joked about but they really are just loving making a West End RPG campaign.

You say that like it's a bad thing. I had some good times with the WEG RPG.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

If it were WEG Kanan would have to have adventured for years to use force powers like he does on the show :colbert:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Holy poo poo I miss weg d6.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

alg posted:

If it were WEG Kanan would have to have adventured for years to use force powers like he does on the show :colbert:

He did. It was all off screen, though. Turns out his player's the GM's boyfriend, see...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

jng2058 posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing. I had some good times with the WEG RPG.

I absolutely do not mean to say that like it's a bad thing

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

what is WEG?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Aces High posted:

what is WEG?

West End Games produced Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, which was also one of the earliest insights into the wider setting of the Star Wars galaxy since, well, the films really do not lay out much in terms of civilisation.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Aces High posted:

what is WEG?

West Enfld Games. They published the first licensed Star Wars tabletop RPG in the late 80s and the 90s. It actually had a surprising amount of influence on both Rebels and the old EU. Zhan and some of the other early EU authors used it as reference material.

The most obvious WEG influence in Rebels is the Inquisitor. WEG created the Inquisition as a way GMs could throw Dark Side force users at their parties with having to unleash Darth Vader on them. Rebels uses them for the exact same reason and specifically cited WEG in one of the Rebels Recon videos.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Anyone wanting to see WEG style star wars should check out the Fantasy Flight Games star wars lines: Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny. They are basically the WEG system except they manage to make force users mix in pretty well with the rest of the players (for the mixed force user/mundane users) and introduces han solo style gameplay where you are careening through problems by creating more problems as you go.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

kingcom posted:

Anyone wanting to see WEG style star wars should check out the Fantasy Flight Games star wars lines: Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny. They are basically the WEG system except they manage to make force users mix in pretty well with the rest of the players (for the mixed force user/mundane users) and introduces han solo style gameplay where you are careening through problems by creating more problems as you go.

Nice!

My first real exposure to nerdity, star wars, RPGs and all that jazz was an after school program run when I was 6. One of the councillors brought in his source books and ran the tutorial adventure for us. I was the pilot, and it was awesome.

I remember trad games on the forum used to run some games. Anyone else remember em?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man I had so many WEG Star Wars RPG books. So many. I'm talking 1st Edition and 2nd Edition books. My parents would get me new ones whenever I did decently on a report card or for my birthday.

I was a terrible GM, but my friends enjoyed the games we played with them regardless.

They're probably all in a dusty old box somewhere. I'd bust them out for nostalgia if I knew where.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
The books are all online now.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Excellent

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

dang, and here all my friends thought the D20 version that came out with the Prequels was fun, wait till I show them this stuff.

Actually not everyone was impressed with the D20 system so I think they will definitely enjoy these more :)

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Aces High posted:

dang, and here all my friends thought the D20 version that came out with the Prequels was fun, wait till I show them this stuff.

Actually not everyone was impressed with the D20 system so I think they will definitely enjoy these more :)

The D20 game was hot garbage. Saga Edition was this hilariously badly thought out mess of really unthought out ideas.

If anyone is remotely interested in playing a star wars rpg, check out the FFG line.

Theres a free adventure available with some pre-made characters. https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/18/ff/18ff8afe-bf19-47a3-97e5-a313ded3d6b3/under_a_black_sun_lores.pdf

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'll give another vote for anyone interested in Star Wars RPGs to check out FFG's Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force & Destiny.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

kingcom posted:

The D20 game was hot garbage. Saga Edition was this hilariously badly thought out mess of really unthought out ideas.

Saga sucked. They were using it as a test-bed for ideas they were planning too use for D&D Fourth Edition, and it showed.

That said, if you're a fan of the D&D 3E -> Pathfinder line, I feel there's a sweet spot for Star Wars D20 at the Revised Edition. If you prefer granularity over the more free-wheeling WEG or Fantasy Flight versions, Revised is the game for you.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

The Ahsoka reveal really adds a lot of meaning to that Clone Wars arc where she trains the resistance group on Onderon. I'm going to have to go back and watch that one again.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

DancinBrud posted:

The Ahsoka reveal really adds a lot of meaning to that Clone Wars arc where she trains the resistance group on Onderon. I'm going to have to go back and watch that one again.

...Dammit, now I want that to be how Vader IDs her involvement with the Rebels. Recognising tactics that he had taught to the Onderian resistance.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

kingcom posted:

I never got to play Star Wars d20, but I heard that Jedi powers basically drain your hitpoints whenever you used them. How did that work out in play?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

I never got to play Star Wars d20, but I heard that Jedi powers basically drain your hitpoints whenever you used them. How did that work out in play?

That was in Revised, which is the version I liked. You had two hit point types, Vitality and Hit Points. Vitality represented exhaustion, Hit Points actual physical injuries. You take Vitality damage first, representing your just barely dodging a blaster bolt and the like. Critical hits went straight to Hit Points, making Revised a surprisingly dangerous game compared to most D20 games.

As far as Force Powers? It worked really well. Jedi could be stupidly powerful in all of the various RPGs, and having a Vitality cost makes you have to decide whether any given power use was worth it. So yeah, it provides a brake on what a Jedi can do that none of the other systems do.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jedi are reasonably balanced in the FFG series. :v:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

I found jedi were still hilariously more capable than any of their non-force user allies could hope to be. They at least had some limit but it really didn't matter unless you were doing some very long strings of encounters to sap them of their vitality. Its better than the virtually infinite force abilities of the saga edition jedi at least. Force users just had to invest less level up resources to make themselves do super power things non-force users simply couldnt do anything like.

I again highlight the way FFG does their force users, where each individual force power has you going down a tree of upgrades to turn it from a very weak power to a very powerful one. The 'Move' power for example lets you spend xp to increase its range, the number of targets, how big an object you can move and how much control over the movement you have. Sure you can max it out and be throwing x-wings around with precision but at the same time the bounty hunt has spent the xp to harden his armour against lightsabers, picked up a bunch of special non-lethal takedown abilities and become capable of staring down a Moff and coming off the better.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Hakkesshu posted:

Filoni on Vader:

I'm actually relieved to hear that quote. I ws worried that Vader would be given the Grievous treatment and suddenly padawans can hold their own against him. I want Vader to be the Original-Matrix Agent-level threat.

"Everyone who has stood their ground, every single Jedi who has fought Vader has died." With one notable exception, of course.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

SolarFire2 posted:

I'm actually relieved to hear that quote. I ws worried that Vader would be given the Grievous treatment and suddenly padawans can hold their own against him. I want Vader to be the Original-Matrix Agent-level threat.

"Everyone who has stood their ground, every single Jedi who has fought Vader has died." With one notable exception, of course.

This actually gets me to a weird place the prequels left me wondering: Anakin Skywalker was this famous Jedi during the Clone Wars (along with his Master Obi-Wan). They rescue the loving Chancellor of the Republic during an attack on the capitol itself. He appeared before Senators and enjoyed his time in the spotlight (according the Obi-Wan, anyway).

But then no one ever really asks whatever happened to that seriously cool Jedi dude Skywalker? Did they all assume every Jedi was killed during the purge? Except this seriously stone cold dude named Vader who is like a personally assistant to the Emperor or something.

This also leads to the follow up question: who in the alliance wasn't like "you're a Skywalker? like related to the guy from the clone wars who was a famous Jedi?" when Luke came in and signed up?

I guess it just comes back to not many people in the galaxy ever encountered an actual Jedi. They heard stories but they weren't ever a real and persistent presence in everyday life. Even less so once the Empire purged them all and they passed into history/legend/myth.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Thwomp posted:

This actually gets me to a weird place the prequels left me wondering: Anakin Skywalker was this famous Jedi during the Clone Wars (along with his Master Obi-Wan). They rescue the loving Chancellor of the Republic during an attack on the capitol itself. He appeared before Senators and enjoyed his time in the spotlight (according the Obi-Wan, anyway).

But then no one ever really asks whatever happened to that seriously cool Jedi dude Skywalker? Did they all assume every Jedi was killed during the purge? Except this seriously stone cold dude named Vader who is like a personally assistant to the Emperor or something.

This also leads to the follow up question: who in the alliance wasn't like "you're a Skywalker? like related to the guy from the clone wars who was a famous Jedi?" when Luke came in and signed up?

I guess it just comes back to not many people in the galaxy ever encountered an actual Jedi. They heard stories but they weren't ever a real and persistent presence in everyday life. Even less so once the Empire purged them all and they passed into history/legend/myth.

Yeah, its not like Jedi were rock stars. By nature, they were quiet, mostly anonymous, and really only personally known by the people they interacted with routinely. Almost everyone who knew him were either other Jedi (dead or in hiding) or Clone Troopers (soon to be dead due to advanced aging). Organa is still around and kicking, but most people probably assumed he died in the purge. Palpatine seems to be able to find replacement badasses pretty easily (Dooku, Maul, Ventress) so most people probably just assume he is some random baddass. Also, Skywalker could be like Smith in that galaxy.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

The other part of it is, well, the original trilogy rarely ever touches too closely on galactic civilisation and the general populace. The closest we ever really get to it are A) A small space port on a backwater desert world and B) A single city which Luke doesn't even get to properly hang out at. They're focused more on major moments in the Rebellion's struggle against the Empire, which probably explains why the prequels attempted to show more of the actual societies of the galaxy far, far away.

Its entirely possible that within the new canon the question of Luke's relation is raised, but its just neither he or anyone else will realise that connects him to Vader. Comics and novels between the OT films are slowly coming out now, so whilst I've yet to get my hands on any, the answer will lie there, if anywhere.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Thwomp posted:

As much as I like the ROTS novelization, it makes the really silly claim that Skywalker and Kenobi's names are broadcast all over the holonet as heroes of the Republic, going so far that you'd even regularly find kids in the playground playing "Anakin and Obi-Wan".

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.
I always looked at the lack of mention of the Skywalker name as being part of the Empire's massive suppression of information relating to the Jedi. In twenty years, the Jedi go from being a national institution in the galaxy to a mere legend, to the point where Han Solo, who (if I'm not mistaken) would have been old enough to remember the Clone Wars (about 10 or so), doesn't even believe in the Jedi or the Force. In fact, he says he's never heard of the Force. As well, in the novel Tarkin by James Luceno (I know, I know, but it's canon now), at one point Mas Amedda (Palpatine's Vizier) says to Tarkin when the latter asks about the Jedi, "We do not speak of the Jedi anymore, Governor."

This tells me something. It says that the Empire, presumably through use of massive state-sponsored terror and intimidation (mass arrests and disappearances, etc) on a Stalinist Russia-level were used to basically purge the Jedi from living memory. To make it as if the Jedi never existed - to 'vaporize' them in the Orwell 1984 use of the term. Those who don't know the Jedi or the Force (and that's a strong probability - remember, 10,000 Jedi in the twilight of the Republic (as mentioned by Kanan in Rebels) in a galaxy of trillions) don't get any reason to raise the issue or talk about them. And those that do? They get the message quick: this is not a safe subject to talk, or even think, about. They learn to shut up, pretend the Jedi never existed, to force themselves to forget.

I mean, that's how I conceived of it, because to me that's the only way we could go from the prequels where the Jedi are an institution to the days of the original trilogy where no one talks about the Jedi.

And yeah, I know, the real reason there's such a difference is because when A New Hope came out in theatres, the pre-Empire galaxy only existed in basic conceptual sketches in Lucas's mind. But this is about how to reconcile the original trilogy and what took place before it together, so here we are.

EDIT: But for sure, older figures in the Rebellion would remember the Jedi, and specifically the name Skywalker. Ackbar comes to mind, because in Clone Wars he's a Captain who, in one arc, fights alongside Anakin and Ahsoka to protect Mon Calamari from the Separatists. Also, Mon Mothma, who was a major Senator in the Clone Wars and who consequently would be familiar with the Jedi due to their leadership of the war effort and the (presumable) Senatorial oversight of said war.

Renzian fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 10, 2015

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

It's more, like most things in star wars. Just don't think about it. There are just too many named people who were in positions to be very clear on who the jedi are/were and continue to carry over to the OT era that someone like Han Solo who has travelled all over the galaxy would have heard rumours and myths about jedi. It's okay that the space setting with magic, overly dramatic bad guys and tech that never advances doesn't really have a big internal logic. It's a fun setting that focuses on a person overcoming their own fears and weaknesses and the underdog heroes fighting a big, evil and seemingly endless empire. That's why you can have stuff like ex-clones showing up in this era and meeting with the rebels crew. There is nothing that says their advanced aging doesn't stop when they hit adulthood. Sure it doesn't make a huge logical consistency but its not completely out of the ordinary next to space magic so just go with whatever plots gives the characters something cool to bounce off of. Why do jedi use lightsabers and not guns? Because lightsabers are cool.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

...Now I kinda want one of the new line of novels between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens (Disney apparently had broad plans for like, twenty to fill in the gap) to have a scene where Ackbar finally gets a chance to talk to Luke (having otherwise been busy doing separate things) and confess that he knew Anakin from the Clone Wars. Take advantage of the longevity some of the characters have in the canon now, maybe provide insight on what the transition was like for those old enough to witness it in motion.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
What was the point of Tarkin's fleet being at Mustafar specifically?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Sith Happens posted:

I want to say that Mustafar is a fairly major fleet base/shipyard for its region of space, but I may be confusing that with something else. And who knows with the new canon anyway, they could just be name dropping.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sith Happens posted:

It's a prison/torture/execution planet for captured renegade Jedi now? Except they stay in orbit so I don't know. Also I think Tarkin has a fleet around him because he's just that important.

Speaking of which, anyone feel like the scale of the Star Destroyers is a bit off? They seem smaller.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!

Sith Happens posted:

I got a feeling that they were waiting for Vader to arrive, since it seemed that Tarkin returned to Lothal with him fairly quickly after Kanan was rescued. Seems if Mustafar is now the place where Jedi go to die, I could see Vader being personally involved in that.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Astro Nut posted:

The other part of it is, well, the original trilogy rarely ever touches too closely on galactic civilisation and the general populace. The closest we ever really get to it are A) A small space port on a backwater desert world and B) A single city which Luke doesn't even get to properly hang out at. They're focused more on major moments in the Rebellion's struggle against the Empire, which probably explains why the prequels attempted to show more of the actual societies of the galaxy far, far away.

Its entirely possible that within the new canon the question of Luke's relation is raised, but its just neither he or anyone else will realise that connects him to Vader. Comics and novels between the OT films are slowly coming out now, so whilst I've yet to get my hands on any, the answer will lie there, if anywhere.

The number of people in the galaxy who actually know that Anakin is Darth Vader can probably be counted on one hand. Anyone else who happens to remember Anakin Skywalker would know him only as a Jedi hero who fought in the Clone Wars before being betrayed and murdered by agents of the Empire. Which is exactly what Ben told Luke.

Apparently this is being reinforced in the new canon, as well. Even someone as highly-placed as Grand Moff Tarkin only manages to figure out who Darth Vader really is because of his close association with him both pre- and post-Mustafar.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

bunnyofdoom posted:

Many, many hours spent with good friends, Star Wars and a load of dice.

Oh holy poo poo, yes.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Another random thing I noticed from the finale. During Sabine's battle at the TIE yard, the music was variations from "Bounty Hunter Pursuit" from the Attack Of The Clones soundtrack. Is this the first time they've riffed on music from the prequels?

Along the same lines, this cover of the Imperial March still makes me absurdly happy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TouCl6yp13A

Edit: That reminds me that one thing I wanted out of the prequels from John Williams was a full blown, faster tempo, triumphant, militaristic version of the Sith/Emperor's Theme. There were two or three times in ROTS where something like that could have fit in perfectly.

Sith Happens fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Sith Happens posted:

Edit: That reminds me that one thing I wanted out of the prequels from John Williams was a full blown, faster tempo, triumphant, militaristic version of the Sith/Emperor's Theme. There were two or three times in ROTS where something like that could have fit in perfectly.

Not quite what you're looking for, but the celebration song from the end of Phantom Menace is a sped-up, major key version of the Emperor's Theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAs7Wxvc1_o

Listen to the chanting at half speed and you'll hear it.

MildShow fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 13, 2015

• Locked thread