Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Whoops, guess I forgot since there was so little Alara in MMA.

Even weirder that they didn't extend it to cover Innistrad then, although there's probably so much in there that needs/could use reprinting that it wouldn't fit in the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

forbidden lesbian posted:

and now i am wickedly sad i missed it...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ramos posted:

She does the attrition thing ridiculously well considering she makes both players discard, can reap more card advantage via her -X at various points, fuels delve, is powered by exploit and similar such cards, etc.

I think she's pretty nifty myself.

Even if you didn't have to flip her (which requires you to do something) to turn her into a walker, she still wouldn't be all that powerful.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Liliana is fantastic. McMagic and Planeswalkers, like duke nukem and forever.

Zero_Grade posted:

Interesting that that only adds 3 blocks onto MM1 (Alara, Zendikar, Scars). There's a fair amount of reprint-worthy stuff in there though, plus maybe core sets if they want to add Titans. Eldrazi, praetors, fetches, Goblin Guide, Batterskull, Swords, Phyrexian mana stuff, whatever was in Alara... Wonder what the draft archetypes will be.

(one fantastic draft format, one awful draft format, and one mixed one)
It adds two years, because two years have passed.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Now we just need the next iteration of Sarkhan to be R/W to come full circle. I do think it's cool how he's base red, but never felt like he belonged to Mardu, so now he's red and the two non-Mardu colors. At least, that's how I make sense of him being part blue, which I can't think of a good reason for otherwise.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I suppose it'd have to play double duty with your Baby EDH deck as Zurgo Helmsmasher is an important figure in Sarkhan Lore™ and the deck would thus have to be 5 colors.

true but i have no probelm with this really

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I think I'd like sarkhans ult better if it had the tooth and nail ordering clause.

If I've drawn 8 cards to the point where I -8 him, chances are good that I've drawn a dragon or 2 in that timeframe and they'll be stuck in my hand.

Edit: well, not stuck since I can likely cast them when I draw them, but I feel like I would have already won the game before I get to ult.

Dragonstorm feels like less work than this ult, which leaves me using his first 2 abilities a lot.

Good, but other sarkhan is a more reliable clock since he hits the turn he comes down. 3 turns before rug sark catches up and he's a bit more vulnerable.

I'll happily eat crow if he turns out to be a staple in rug midrange though.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

qbert posted:

Haha, it's actually pretty funny how much Wizards doesn't care about competitive drafting minutiae.

The brand manager lady pretty clearly intercepted the question and gave a bullshit answer. Likely the actual answer to the question is something about Origins they don't want to reveal yet. I very much doubt R&D's actual response is "deal with it" since drafting with a face up card is a serious disadvantage. I assume there are more DFCs and every pack has one, just like Innistrad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

I think I'd like sarkhans ult better if it had the tooth and nail ordering clause.

If I've drawn 8 cards to the point where I -8 him, chances are good that I've drawn a dragon or 2 in that timeframe and they'll be stuck in my hand.

Dragonstorm feels like less work than this ult, which leaves me using his first 2 abilities a lot.

Good, but other sarkhan is a more reliable clock since he hits the turn he comes down. 3 turns before rug sark catches up and he's a bit more vulnerable.

Both are very good and you want them against different decks

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Molybdenum posted:

Read Sarkhan as though his ult doesn't exist and evaluate from there. I suspect one of the most common ways of using him will be to simply -2 him twice for 2 4/4 fliers.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

:kimchi: :3: :kimchi:

holy poo poo thats anime ghost girl as gently caress

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Even if you didn't have to flip her (which requires you to do something) to turn her into a walker, she still wouldn't be all that powerful.

You say that like killing things doesn't naturally happen in a game anyway. And no, she's not game breakingly good, she's just well suited for the color she's in at the moment which can make use of all of her abilities quite well and in a variety of ways. She's ridiculously well designed in how many different ways you can approach using her.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Has there ever been a 3 color Walker that had a big impact on standard?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I think conditional planeswalkers are cooler in theory than they likely will be in practice.

As for ZENDIKAR BATTLE SET :black101: I just bought a set of Marsh Flats for my Tokens Modern deck! I ain't mad though.

Eh, I can agree with you there, but that's true of 90% of cards/mechanics. I think its a neat flavorful idea, with some cool design space to open up. From a pure flavor perspective, having the cards transform into a planeswalker on the battlefield is just neat. It evokes a piece of storyline on the table in front of you, and lets you see it happen. Competitively, I don't think it opens up very much space, but the Vorthos side of things definitely appreciates it.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Elyv posted:

Read Sarkhan as though his ult doesn't exist and evaluate from there. I suspect one of the most common ways of using him will be to simply -2 him twice for 2 4/4 fliers.

Agree entirely, but in that mode, is he better than dragon speaker? Like I said, it is 3 turns before rug catches up in damage to dragon speaker. It helps that the damage is on 2 tokens rather than a single downfall target.

I may proxy him up before release to test it in my deck (a straight copy of count bleck's).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

That nonlegendary clause is really random but I guess they don't want you reanimating herself, although you can still play another one from your hand so...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

This is like the second one

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
RME had the best post about the Dragons cards spoiled. That is all.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I think Sarkhan being 3 colors really hurts his playability. The fact that the three colors happen to be the least popular clan in Standard doesn't help either.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

the other 3 color walker was playable in its standard so

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

mcmagic posted:

No, but the last one cost eight mana.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i'm really excited for what back to zeldacar will bring for my EDH decks

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

even at 8 he was playable as a 5th cruel ultimatum

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

LordSaturn posted:

The ONLY one cost eight mana.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Spiderdrake posted:

Liliana is fantastic. McMagic and Planeswalkers, like duke nukem and forever.
It adds two years, because two years have passed.

Why doesn't she add the creature type "Zombie" the thing she's reanimating. :mad:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker had the misfortune of being printed after Cruel Ultimatum, then being printed right before Detention Sphere/Sphinx's Rev/Supreme Verdict made WUx the default for control.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

RME posted:

i'm really excited for what back to zeldacar will bring for my EDH decks

Holy poo poo, shut up.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I thought DFC's made draft signals a little easier to read personally. Don't pass line Bloodline Keeper unless you deck is insane.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Why doesn't she add the creature type "Zombie" the thing she's reanimating. :mad:
Same reason a lot of the charm and command stuff is a bit broad strokes - limited amount of text before it gets too small. But yeah, that would be cool.

Someone else can post those god awful yugioh cards that look like the ingredients on your soup saltine cracker pack.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

cuz she's spending a lot of effort on it this time around as opposed to accidentally goofing like she does on her flip trigger

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sadafenza

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ojutai isn't as good as Stormbreath but it's probably about as close as we're going to get in this set.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

It's true that Nicol Bolas, the only three-color planeswalker, who also happens to cost eight loving mana, has seen at least fringe play as a control finisher both times he's been in Standard. The question is whether you consider that to be a big impact or not.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Angry Grimace posted:

I thought it was a deliberate flavor choice to imply that she had perfected her resurrection abilities.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

grave of the foremost(s)

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Like why would you even compare Sarkhan to Bolas? The similarities start and end with being planeswalkers that are three colors.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I want to play Esper with Ojutai and Narset...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

She'll go great in Mai ghost waifu... tiny leaders deck

I wonder if they're going to break up the cycle and not have a blue legend for the rare ex-khan cycle. I kinda like the idea of Taigam's power seeking suiting the Ojutai ways.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Ojutai isn't as good as Stormbreath but it's probably about as close as we're going to get in this set.

Ojutai isn't like Stormbreath in any way other than CMC though? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Spiderdrake posted:

Same reason a lot of the charm and command stuff is a bit broad strokes - limited amount of text before it gets too small. But yeah, that would be cool.

Someone else can post those god awful yugioh cards that look like the ingredients on your soup saltine cracker pack.

:suicide:

As someone who missed the first Zendikar block and retrospectively loves the poo poo out of the Eldrazi concept, I cannot goddamn wait for fall.

• Locked thread