Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

LordSaturn posted:

It's true that Nicol Bolas, the only three-color planeswalker, who also happens to cost eight loving mana, has seen at least fringe play as a control finisher both times he's been in Standard. The question is whether you consider that to be a big impact or not.

He saw play in Standard Omni-door decks. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Ojutai isn't as good as Stormbreath but it's probably about as close as we're going to get in this set.

He's very playable. Great card, I'm happy one of them is a thing I would want to play.

I wonder if a Monastery Mentor - Ephara, God of the Polis curve would be as fun as I'm imagining.

Also, new Gideon obviously incoming:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

Ojutai isn't like Stormbreath in any way other than CMC though? :confused:

I know, a lot of people were just saying that it's pretty funny that they printed about 30 new dragons in this set and none of them are better than Stormbreath.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Arizona magic continues to be hilariously hosed up. Offered to help cover hotel costs for a local kid that Q'ed for a PT but can't afford it. His boss, a local store owner, sent me and another guy that made the offer this message this morning:

Please don't offer my employees things like cash favors. It's inappropriate and you should already know that. Same for <me>, I know he isn't publicly your business partner but everyone knows he's "your guy."
<pro tour hopeful> is young and doesn't understand the strings that will be attached once he accepts such a favor from you. He is in the running to be my manager and he will be hurt if he compromises the trust that he has built with me with his own efforts. Even if you tell him there are no strings attached, we both know there are. At the very minimum you are "buying his loyalty/sympathy/regard" and that's a conflict of interest.
If you are really <pro tour hopeful>'s friend, and not just trying to use him, prove it by leaving him alone.
It's somewhat of an issue with <other employee> too but he and I already had the discussion we needed to have and he isn't taking money from you so it's not as much of a problem there.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Elyv posted:

Read Sarkhan as though his ult doesn't exist and evaluate from there. I suspect one of the most common ways of using him will be to simply -2 him twice for 2 4/4 fliers.

This is pretty much how I feel. Honestly the ult is still pretty good though since I can't imagine a deck using Sarkhan wouldn't also run 4x Stormbreath. More realistically I think he might be a sideboard card in r/g devotion for messing with any deck running crux of fate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

redstormpopcorn posted:

As someone who missed the first Zendikar block and retrospectively loves the poo poo out of the Eldrazi concept, I cannot goddamn wait for fall.

I'm sure they'll find a reason, but shouldn't the Eldrazi (and most of Zendikar) be long gone?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Okay but come on can you loving think before you post

Supposing that
1. dragons on Tarkir are born from storms
2. Stormbreath Dragon breathes storms
It follows that
Stormbreath Dragon actually creates Tarkir dragons and is therefore cooler and smarter and sexier and more playable.

QED

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Starving Autist posted:

Like why would you even compare Sarkhan to Bolas? The similarities start and end with being planeswalkers that are three colors.

One of them is a dragon and the other one likes dragons!!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

born on a buy you posted:

Arizona magic continues to be hilariously hosed up. Offered to help cover hotel costs for a local kid that Q'ed for a PT but can't afford it. His boss, a local store owner, sent me and another guy that made the offer this message this morning:

Please don't offer my employees things like cash favors. It's inappropriate and you should already know that. Same for <me>, I know he isn't publicly your business partner but everyone knows he's "your guy."
<pro tour hopeful> is young and doesn't understand the strings that will be attached once he accepts such a favor from you. He is in the running to be my manager and he will be hurt if he compromises the trust that he has built with me with his own efforts. Even if you tell him there are no strings attached, we both know there are. At the very minimum you are "buying his loyalty/sympathy/regard" and that's a conflict of interest.
If you are really <pro tour hopeful>'s friend, and not just trying to use him, prove it by leaving him alone.
It's somewhat of an issue with <other employee> too but he and I already had the discussion we needed to have and he isn't taking money from you so it's not as much of a problem there.

"I know this kid could go to the Pro Tour but you are severely loving up his life by compromising his future employment at my card shop. Again, you are doing this, not me."

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Rinkles posted:

I'm sure they'll find a reason, but shouldn't the Eldrazi (and most of Zendikar) be long gone?

I think that art with Gideon squaring up with some faceless floaty-ribbed horror is new, sooooooooo

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

redstormpopcorn posted:

:suicide:

As someone who missed the first Zendikar block and retrospectively loves the poo poo out of the Eldrazi concept, I cannot goddamn wait for fall.

You can cast it from outside the game by shuffling 3 specific creatures into your library from play? It's big and beefy, and has an ability where you flip 3 coins. 3 heads means destroy all creatures your opponents control, 2 means your opponents' creatures lose all abilities until end of turn, and 1 means bounce all your creatures. Kind of reminds me of an Eldrazi Spirit of the Night that's way too complicated.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

rabidsquid posted:

"I know this kid could go to the Pro Tour but you are severely loving up his life by compromising his future employment at my card shop. Again, you are doing this, not me."

Hahaha pretty much. That's insanely hosed up.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
neos fusions own, they just have a lot of text because they tend to use text from their components

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

Rinkles posted:

In the Nissa Worldwaker story, I believe they mentioned that two of the Eldrazi had taken off from Zendikar, but one was still chilling around.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

redstormpopcorn posted:

I think that art with Gideon squaring up with some faceless floaty-ribbed horror is new, sooooooooo

got a screenshot?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

If memory serves, part of the flavor of Zendikar is that the people and the environment there are so badass they're actually capable of tangling with dimension-spanning Cthulhu-esque abominations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Eh? I thought they basically took over the plane and killed everyone there, but were stuck there.

Makes me wonder how it's going to look creative-wise though. If they have there being an active resistance that hasn't been completely crushed by the Eldrazi after all these years, that makes the Eldrazi seem way less scary than they're supposed to be.

Rinkles posted:

got a screenshot?

Scroll up.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Rinkles posted:

got a screenshot?

Angry Grimace posted:

Also, new Gideon obviously incoming:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

No they are still trapped as of the m15 Nissan story but I would imagine the plane doesn't have much longer.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Is he a libertarian? Because they're the only assholes I've ever known to think that gifts always have strings attached. If I were you I'd insist on paying after that bullshit message.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Yawgmoth posted:

Is he a libertarian? Because they're the only assholes I've ever known to think that gifts always have strings attached. If I were you I'd insist on paying after that bullshit message.

Seriously, I'd want to show that message to the kid to let him know exactly how his current employer thinks of him.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Might even post the email to local MTG forums or fb groups or whatever. Seems really weird.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

What the actual gently caress.

Send the kid to the Pro Tour anyway, gently caress the other store owner.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Starving Autist posted:

Seriously, I'd want to show that message to the kid to let him know exactly how his current employer thinks of him.

After he gets back from the PT, I wouldn't want that poo poo on my mind during a huge competition.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Entropic posted:

Eh? I thought they basically took over the plane and killed everyone there, but were stuck there.

Makes me wonder how it's going to look creative-wise though. If they have there being an active resistance that hasn't been completely crushed by the Eldrazi after all these years, that makes the Eldrazi seem way less scary than they're supposed to be.

Bugsy posted:

No they are still trapped as of the m15 Nissan story but I would imagine the plane doesn't have much longer.

I have a very loose grasp of the lore. I thought they were suppoed to move on after "consuming" Zendikar

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Yawgmoth posted:

Sounds less like a Libertarian and more like Niccolo Machiavelli.

Rinkles posted:

I have a very loose grasp of the lore. I thought they were suppoed to move on after "consuming" Zendikar

The Titans left, the Eldrazi didn't.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

the bolded reads like he's threatening to injure his employee.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Symphonie posted:

In the Nissa Worldwaker story, I believe they mentioned that two of the Eldrazi had taken off from Zendikar, but one was still chilling around.

Yeah it was an Arcana from last summer. Ulamog is still on Zendikar but Kozilek and Emrakul have departed for whatever reason.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Ya know, I really wish there were more Urza-era 'old grumpy crazy wizard dudes' planeswalkers. These brooding sexy fit soldier guys and ladies just don't come off as fantastical or interesting.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I value my employee so I don't want him to be happy someone else did something nice for him. He might go there instead. If you really care about him like I do you won't help him at all, and neither will I. Pragmatically no one will help this guy. That is for the best.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

TheTofuShop posted:

the bolded reads like he's threatening to injure his employee.

I read it more like "fuuuuuck, I was getting ready to promote this kid so I can work less," but your interpretation makes the guy even more hateable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

They really missed an opportunity not calling this card Dragon Punch

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

EatinCake posted:

Ya know, I really wish there were more Urza-era 'old grumpy crazy wizard dudes' planeswalkers. These brooding sexy fit soldier guys and ladies just don't come off as fantastical or interesting.

They are basically fantasy X-Men so that's what you're going to get

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Some Numbers posted:

I read it more like "fuuuuuck, I was getting ready to promote this kid so I can work less," but your interpretation makes the guy even more hateable.

If that was the case he can still do it. Only a crazy person would take away a promotion because of STRINGS ATTACHED and LOYALTY.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

They are basically fantasy X-Men so that's what you're going to get

where are the professor and magneto

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

EatinCake posted:

Dumbledore dies. No one cares about old crazy wizard dudes anymore.

Also, I realized Frost Walker is an elemental. Him into Shorecrasher Elemental into MoW is a pretty neat curve.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

where are the professor and magneto

um urza is dead and karn is mia

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

EatinCake posted:

Nah, but at least we don't have cookie cutter bearded old wizards that are wise and possibly crazy.

Also, Gideon is the best thing ever to come out of Magic and I'll hear nothing else. Tamiyo being the second best thing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Interesting that Temur is actually getting better and better here.

Play it as a Ferocious deck with R/G splash blue for Stubborn Denial and Sarkhan IV. Roast really helps with removal too since you can now reliably drop Rhinos.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

They really missed an opportunity not calling this card Dragon Punch

This is very good but I think the difference between this and the 2+/2+ from Bear Punch is not insignificant...

• Locked thread