Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007

greatn posted:

It's way too Japanese for me, the appeal just doesn't translate.

DW1 is the best one anyway. If you're like me and you had it on the NES, and now 20 years later people say to try the others but you've pretty well aged out of them.

True heroes don't need other party members. True heroes aren't even willing to deal with more than one enemy at a time. True heroes put up with awful inventory systems because that princess needs to be carried home, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I don't know if this is common knowledge, I've never seen it before though. The Nintendo refurb shop has games for $33. I picked up Mario Kart 8 and New Super Mario/Luigi Bros for cheaper than I see them even used anywhere. Pretty stoked.

edit: They also have the Mario 3D World Wii U bundle up for $225.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 6, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ddogflex posted:

I don't know if this is common knowledge, I've never seen it before though. The Nintendo refurb shop has games for $33. I picked up Mario Kart 8 and New Super Mario/Luigi Bros for cheaper than I see them even used anywhere. Pretty stoked.

edit: They also have the Mario 3D World Wii U bundle up for $225.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod560316

yoooooo that's a pretty sick deal, 25 bucks over the other bundle for M3DW is great, specially since it's actually in stock. This should go on the OP.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

noirstronaut posted:

FTR, if you buy one, you get the other for free. However, you can spend $10 and get the 3DS code from someone who only has a Wii U.

Man, I'd be interested in doing this the other way around. I don't really have any interest in the console version, but Tipping Stars on the go sounds great.

Well turns out one of my housemates wants to play too, so looks like Crossbuy will fulfill its purpose in my household.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 6, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

jivjov posted:

Man, I'd be interested in doing this the other way around. I don't really have any interest in the console version, but Tipping Stars on the go sounds great.

There are people out there, but since it's an MvDK game, it'll be somewhat hard to find anyone.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod560316

yoooooo that's a pretty sick deal, 25 bucks over the other bundle for M3DW is great, specially since it's actually in stock. This should go on the OP.

Yeah I was looking since like Christmas for a refurb unit and they were never in stock. 2 weeks ago my girlfriend bought me a retail unit for full price. OH WELL.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Electromax posted:

DW1 is the best one anyway. If you're like me and you had it on the NES, and now 20 years later people say to try the others but you've pretty well aged out of them.

True heroes don't need other party members. True heroes aren't even willing to deal with more than one enemy at a time. True heroes put up with awful inventory systems because that princess needs to be carried home, dammit.

Carry her to the final boss and kill him together. Or leave her there forever!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ddogflex posted:

Yeah I was looking since like Christmas for a refurb unit and they were never in stock. 2 weeks ago my girlfriend bought me a retail unit for full price. OH WELL.

Return it!

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Not worth the $50 to me, she had a 10% off at Target coupon. So I guess technically it wasn't retail price, but close enough. Also it was a birthday gift. Also no one on here cares.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

greatn posted:

I literally have only played Dragon Quest 1 ever.

Last weekend I played through Dragon Quest 1 for the first time in like 25 years because I found I had a translated SNES rom of it, and I was kind of surprised by how quickly I blew through it in an afternoon / evening after remembering how long it took me to finish as a kid. I guess jRPGs have progressed so far that it seems a lot simpler than it used to, I could've sworn there were a lot more towns and stuff. I guess the turbo button helped a lot as far as grinding though, battle starts, hold turbo, mash A until battle is over.

Electromax posted:

Technically you don't have to save the princess, if you remember what block to search on for the Hero Token or whatever.

Or you can carry her right to the Dragonlord and hold her in one arm while you whoop his rear end with the other.

Dragon Quest 8 at least is a lot better though, that's probably the last good jRPG I played.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 6, 2015

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Does Tipping Stars have any sort of cross play saving across games? Or do you have to start over on each game from scratch?

If there is no linking your progress, I am very tempted to sell my 3DS of Wii U code

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

raditts posted:

Look goofy, all I'm saying is that I agree with him that breaking genre a little and making a Metroid game that's a bit more action based and isn't completely LONELINESS AND EXPLORING like goons seem to loving love isn't really that insane of an idea. Not that it has to be literally Bayonetta, that would be loving stupid.

It is not an insane idea even though Other M failed miserably when they tried to do it. I do think that there is way to do it well. However, why Metroid? If a developer actually did what you are talking about then it would almost certainly just be another action based game on a sort of open world (hopefully?) with a Metroid coat of paint. Don't misunderstand me. I love that coat of paint, but what really makes Metroid fantastic and gives off a different vibe is what you describe as loneliness and exploring.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Xavier434 posted:

It is not an insane idea even though Other M failed miserably when they tried to do it. I do think that there is way to do it well. However, why Metroid? If a developer actually did what you are talking about then it would almost certainly just be another action based game on a sort of open world (hopefully?) with a Metroid coat of paint. Don't misunderstand me. I love that coat of paint, but what really makes Metroid fantastic and gives off a different vibe is what you describe as loneliness and exploring.

Why would it necessarily be "just another action based game"? That's like saying Metroid Prime is just another first person shooter with a Metroid coat of paint. It's entirely possible to break from the formula without losing one's identity.

Astro7x posted:

Does Tipping Stars have any sort of cross play saving across games? Or do you have to start over on each game from scratch?

If there is no linking your progress, I am very tempted to sell my 3DS of Wii U code

If you decide to sell it, let me know, I'd be interested if the price is right.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 6, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Astro7x posted:

Story progress isn't transferred, no. But I think you can export levels to be played on both.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

raditts posted:

Why would it necessarily be "just another action based game"? That's like saying Metroid Prime is just another first person shooter with a Metroid coat of paint. It's entirely possible to break from the formula without losing one's identity.

Because you are asking to remove some key elements which define the series. That feeling of being dropped off alone in an alien world that you are free to explore is a cornerstone of what helps to distinguish the Metroid series. Mess with that too much and it isn't Metroid anymore. It a different action game with a Metroid coat of paint. Not that it wouldn't be fun. It just wouldn't be Metroid.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh baby. This'll get added to the OP now, I gotta' get it updated, anyway.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah I'm giving my 3DS tipping stars code to a friend. The WiiU version you can see your level big on a TV while designing and editing, that's its main advantage, while the 3DS has street pass, being it's main advantage. Both have the same levels and same sharing functionality, but I think both level sharing use different Miiverse subforums. All levels are cross compatible.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

greatn posted:

Yeah I'm giving my 3DS tipping stars code to a friend. The WiiU version you can see your level big on a TV while designing and editing, that's its main advantage, while the 3DS has street pass, being it's main advantage. Both have the same levels and same sharing functionality, but I think both level sharing use different Miiverse subforums. All levels are cross compatible.

Is that friend me

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

noirstronaut posted:

Is that friend me

Are you a half Korean from Michigan?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

greatn posted:

paging almostkorean to this thread

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

greatn posted:

I can be.

almostkorean
Jul 9, 2001
eeeeeeeee

epitasis posted:

paging almostkorean to this thread

It's me I'm the half korean from Michigan guys

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

give him the game greatn

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
OK I texted it to you.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

messagemode1 posted:

Pulled the trigger and got a bowser amiibo.

Too bad it's useless outside of Smash. Why can't he do something in mario kart?

Nintendo please make a bowser-centric game.

What I want is Bowser makes each of the Koopalings super strong and you fight one per game a whole series could comes out of it. Maybe that's too much Mario for some people.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
So is the $33 game thing something they've done for a while and I've just missed it, or is that new too?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bought Hyrule Warriors today. Is the DLC pack worth getting?

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

raditts posted:

Last weekend I played through Dragon Quest 1 for the first time in like 25 years because I found I had a translated SNES rom of it, and I was kind of surprised by how quickly I blew through it in an afternoon / evening after remembering how long it took me to finish as a kid. I guess jRPGs have progressed so far that it seems a lot simpler than it used to, I could've sworn there were a lot more towns and stuff. I guess the turbo button helped a lot as far as grinding though, battle starts, hold turbo, mash A until battle is over.

No, they jiggered with the EXP and level requirements so you don't have to grind like you did with the NES original (in which crossing any new bridge usually resulted in death).
The original NES version took 20+ hours to play. The GBC and SNES remakes reduce it to well under ten.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Jim Sterling has absolute praise for it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

Very much so. 3 new characters, 3 more Adventure Mode maps (in which you can sink 30+ hours easily, more if you want to collect everything), some weapons and costumes for existing characters....yeah there's a LOT of value there. If you like the game as-is and want even more, definitely get the DLC.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hyrule Warriors will take over your life.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I said come in! posted:

Try the game first to make sure you like it. The DLC is absolutely worth the money for the amount of content it adds. I think it more than... triples the length of the game? However the meat of the extra content is additional Adventure maps. While fun, if you don't like the base game, the extra maps aren't going to change your mind.

Oh and there's the extra weapons and characters to consider as well! Want to ride into battle on Epona? Kill everything all the time as Young Link and Twili Midna? Then shell out for the DLC.

In my opinion it's definitely worth it, but then I really love the game.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is the Wii U backwards compatible?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

It is with the Wii, but not the Gamecube.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SirPhoebos posted:

Yes. Officially with the Wii, non-officially with the Gamecube as well (requires the use of an exploit and a controller adapter, but it's piss easy).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Yes. Officially with the Wii, non-officially with the Gamecube as well (requires the use of an exploit and a controller adapter, but it's piss easy).

Are we allowed to talk about this exploit here? Wouldn't mind being able to play Gamecube games. Is the adapter still real hard to get?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Saoshyant posted:

I said come in! posted:

It is with the Wii, but not the Gamecube.

Thanks for the answer.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You don't need the adapter, you can just use a Pro Controller or a Classic Controller or even a PS3/4 controller.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

You don't need the adapter, you can just use a Pro Controller or a Classic Controller or even a PS3/4 controller.

:stare: Tell me more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I said come in! posted:

Is the adapter still real hard to get?

There's a third-party one now from a company called Mayflash, which also has the bonus feature of actually working on PC. So, no, it's not hard to get one anymore.

ChaosArgate posted:

a PS3/4 controller.

Well, this is new to me, too. Tell me your dark sorceries.

• Locked thread