Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So my prediction is Return to Phyrexia or Phyrexia Unleashed or whatever in 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

rabidsquid posted:

If that was the case he can still do it. Only a crazy person would take away a promotion because of STRINGS ATTACHED and LOYALTY.
Yeah, it boils down to "stop doing anything nice for him or else he might realize that there are other employers out there who might treat him like a person!"

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

born on a buy you posted:

Arizona magic continues to be hilariously hosed up. Offered to help cover hotel costs for a local kid that Q'ed for a PT but can't afford it. His boss, a local store owner, sent me and another guy that made the offer this message this morning:

Please don't offer my employees things like cash favors. It's inappropriate and you should already know that. Same for <me>, I know he isn't publicly your business partner but everyone knows he's "your guy."
<pro tour hopeful> is young and doesn't understand the strings that will be attached once he accepts such a favor from you. He is in the running to be my manager and he will be hurt if he compromises the trust that he has built with me with his own efforts. Even if you tell him there are no strings attached, we both know there are. At the very minimum you are "buying his loyalty/sympathy/regard" and that's a conflict of interest.
If you are really <pro tour hopeful>'s friend, and not just trying to use him, prove it by leaving him alone.
It's somewhat of an issue with <other employee> too but he and I already had the discussion we needed to have and he isn't taking money from you so it's not as much of a problem there.

That's pretty hosed. This dude is clearly projecting some poo poo on what I'm sure was, for you, a casual act of largesse.

Are you a store owner also, or does he just think you run a boarding school for aspiring pro tour players or some poo poo?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

This is very good but I think the difference between this and the 2+/2+ from Bear Punch is not insignificant...

Except this is not conditional.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

So my prediction is Return to Phyrexia or Phyrexia Unleashed or whatever in 2017.

I sincerely hope the New Zendikkkar block ends with a Portal opening up and Elesh Norn walking in going what's uuuuuuuuuuuup

(Note: I don't know how the phyrexians got around without planeswalking as an ability so I assume it was portals)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I drifted away from the game after the last Zendikar block and now that I'm playing again, it's back. I will never escape landfall.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

I sincerely hope the New Zendikkkar block ends with a Portal opening up and Elesh Norn walking in going what's uuuuuuuuuuuup

(Note: I don't know how the phyrexians got around without planeswalking as an ability so I assume it was portals)

It was portals. New Phyrexians still have no idea how to make portals last we checked with them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
WOTC knows that they're obligated to bring back fetch-lands, full art basics, and landfall to avoid a riot, right?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The precedent was merging a plane onto another plane, I believe.

Also these things:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AlternateNu posted:

Dumbledore dies. No one cares about old crazy wizard dudes anymore.

Also, I realized Frost Walker is an elemental. Him into Shorecrasher Elemental into MoW is a pretty neat curve.

T1: Vortex Elemental
T2: Frost Walker
T3: Megamorphling
T4: Master of Waves
T5: Torrent Elemental

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Phyrexians getting a hold of Vensers corpse was a pretty huge indication of how they are going to get places in the future.

Entropic posted:

WOTC knows that they're obligated to bring back fetch-lands, full art basics, and landfall to avoid a riot, right?

I am unbelievably stoked about the possibility of even more regular art Zendikar lands, so they better bring back full art basics.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Elesh Norn opens up a portal to the Blind Eternities, douses the eldrazi in phyrexian oil.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
lol he replied ot me calling him an emotionally and mentally broken human

<me>,

<employee> is going to be taken care of, we just hadn't had that discussion yet regarding his sponsorship. The issue was not him accepting cash from whomever; it was him accepting cash favors from my competitor (or a person closely associated with my competitor, even informally). It is a conflict of interest. <employee> is in the running to become my store manager and it is critical that he not put himself in a position where the trust he has earned from me, could be compromised by an appearance of impropriety. Him getting a favor from a disinterested third party would present no such concerns.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

rabidsquid posted:

Phyrexians getting a hold of Vensers corpse was a pretty huge indication of how they are going to get places in the future.

I thought he gave his planeswalker spark to Karn.

But who knows, it's Magic lore, they'll find a way.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
As a note I do not own any stores in the state of Arizona and the extent of my partnership is posting fb posts to the local group "Heading to <whichever store i'm going to> people should come out and play"

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Isn't Zendikar basically just paved over with Eldrazi nonsense?

e: as in uninhabitable

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

I mean, venser was pretty good at being a tricky gently caress before his spark was a thing he used.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

<me>,

<employee> is going to be taken care of, we just hadn't had that discussion yet regarding his sponsorship. The issue was not him accepting cash from whomever; it was him accepting cash favors from my competitor (or a person closely associated with my competitor, even informally). It is a conflict of interest. <employee> is in the running to become my store manager and it is critical that he not put himself in a position where the trust he has earned from me, could be compromised by an appearance of impropriety. Him getting a favor from a disinterested third party would present no such concerns.

Wow. You should just do that employee a favor and get him out of there.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

EatinCake posted:

Ya know, I really wish there were more Urza-era 'old grumpy crazy wizard dudes' planeswalkers. These brooding sexy fit soldier guys and ladies just don't come off as fantastical or interesting.

While he doesn't exactly fit the first criteria this is one of many reasons why Ashiok owns

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

EatinCake posted:

Ya know, I really wish there were more Urza-era 'old grumpy crazy wizard dudes' planeswalkers. These brooding sexy fit soldier guys and ladies just don't come off as fantastical or interesting.

What is the difference between being grumpy and brooding? Is it just how sexy you are?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

They really missed an opportunity not calling this card Dragon Punch

I'm sure it will be referred to as its correct name over Dragon Punch as much as Savage Punch is over Bear Punch. :v:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

He did, but the Phyrexians have his corpse and if anyone can extract information and magic from a corpse, you best believe its the Phyrexians.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Elesh Norn opens up a portal to the Blind Eternities, douses the eldrazi in phyrexian oil.

yes yeS YES

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

<me>,

holy poo poo dude, show this to the employee

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Be interesting to see what happens with Ob Nixilis with the return to Zendikar

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

bhsman posted:

I'm sure it will be referred to as its correct name over Dragon Punch as much as Savage Punch is over Bear Punch. :v:

I'm glad it's a common so I won't feel bad about altering one to replace the mana cost as 263+P

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Like, I didn't know it was a thing I wanted, but now Elesh Norn riding phyresis-ridden Emrakul is definitely a thing I want.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Arizona magic continues to be hilariously hosed up. Offered to help cover hotel costs for a local kid that Q'ed for a PT but can't afford it. His boss, a local store owner, sent me and another guy that made the offer this message this morning:

A disproportionate number of the LGS owners and managers I know/work with as a Judge are really weird and crazy about LOYALTY and treating their customers/employees as friends and allies first and employees and customers second. It's really weird.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
We used to only really have one Magic shop in town, but a new one opened up a little over a year ago, and they do all MTG-related stuff way better (Actually selling singles, having the option get prizes in store credit instead of packs, which can be used for singles or entry fees, having better prizing). So of course there's a bunch of dumb drama between some people, like a loyalist to the first store tried to shut down the local Magic facebook group and create new ones for each store because he felt the group had become too associated with the new store. I've managed to ignore most of it, but some people are just addicted to drama.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Madmarker posted:

He did, but the Phyrexians have his corpse and if anyone can extract information and magic from a corpse, you best believe its the Phyrexians.

Yeah and I think his specialty before he was a Planeswalker was teleportation magic anyways.

Venser is the best Planeswalker fyi.

edit: the last two posts are almost definitely directly related imo. Instead of competing with other stores it's preferable to some types to try to build up loyalty instead. Unfortunately the loyalty tends to take the path of Stockholm Syndrome.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 6, 2015

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

I have a very loose grasp of the lore. I thought they were suppoed to move on after "consuming" Zendikar

They were but the hedron system still has the physical manifestations of them trapped and as far we know they have not finished eating yet. Ulamog been visually confirmed there, but the other two have not been seen for a while. Still most likely trapped, and there is still a lot of the lesser bloodlings to deal with zendikar.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/nissa-worldwaker-2014-06-25

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zendikar was the set that got me back into the game after not playing since Weatherlight and it was a really fun block with some cool mechanics, but I feel like it was pretty lame and generic flavor-wise. I kinda wish they just said the Eldrazi destroyed Zendikar and continued that story on a new plane with more flavor than "generic adventure plane" and especially so after seeing the list of all the themed planes they want to do, all of which sound way cooler than a return to Zendikar. Like it's way more exciting seeing how goblins and merfolk and stuff change appearance based on the theme of the plane they're on than having the regular old versions.

Meh, excited to see Landfall and enemy manlands at least. And lol at people who said all ten fetches in the same standard would be too much and they'd never do it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm just hoping they don't do landfall +2/+2 on every good common creature in the set again because holy poo poo that is awful for limited.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

As a note I do not own any stores in the state of Arizona and the extent of my partnership is posting fb posts to the local group "Heading to <whichever store i'm going to> people should come out and play"

If you owned a store anywhere near him and were a competitor, then his reaction might be a little more understandable, but if you are just some random dude who doesn't compete in AZ at all and are just this kid's friend, thats pretty terrible.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Kyrosiris posted:

Like, I didn't know it was a thing I wanted, but now Elesh Norn riding phyresis-ridden Emrakul is definitely a thing I want.

I won't be surprised if Emrakul and the other Eldrazi are immune to phyresis. They have the whole protection-from-colors thing and Eldrazi vs. Phyrexia would be cooler.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Meh, excited to see Landfall and enemy manlands at least. And lol at people who said all ten fetches in the same standard would be too much and they'd never do it.

I am looking forward to the enemy manlands as well. I'm hoping the return to Zendikar shows it as a nightmare world, eldrich horrors pouring from the seams. Then point Zendikar as the Eldrazi home base at New Phyrexia and have a battle royale to determine which force of evil will rule supreme.

Magic: the Thunderdoming

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Xir posted:

I am looking forward to the enemy manlands as well. I'm hoping the return to Zendikar shows it as a nightmare world, eldrich horrors pouring from the seams. Then point Zendikar as the Eldrazi home base at New Phyrexia and have a battle royale to determine which force of evil will rule supreme.

Magic: the Thunderdoming

Okay that sounds pretty awesome. I hope they go balls out on the Lovecraft elements.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Dragons pre-release is going to be the same format as fates. 4-1-1 seeded.

http://wpn.wizards.com/en/products/dragons-tarkir

quote:

Contents:

4 Dragons of Tarkir booster packs
1 Fate Reforged booster pack
1 seeded booster pack
1 Activity insert
1 Clan information card
1 Spindown Life Counter

No buttons.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

redstormpopcorn posted:

I won't be surprised if Emrakul and the other Eldrazi are immune to phyresis. They have the whole protection-from-colors thing and Eldrazi vs. Phyrexia would be cooler.
Well yeah, first we need phyrexian slivers to swarm them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

And then Nicol Bolas shows up

• Locked thread