Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

Should I get the official AC adapter, or a USB cable, or what? I'm sorry if this has been discussed to death already.

You should get the official AC adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think I will. $15 is a small price to pay for reduced headaches.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I haven't used my official adapter in years.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Which USB adapter do you guys use?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Housh posted:

Which USB adapter do you guys use?

I honestly couldn't tell you which since it's probably just some Chinese one, but I bought it a lonnnnng time ago for maybe $3 on eBay. I can't imagine the tech in USB chargers being all that different, but I've said the same for wall chargers and almost watched my PSP burn to pieces.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

flyboi posted:

Make sure in internet sharing you set the name right

Click the wifi options button to get that screen to pop up

Edit: another thing is the wifi forward needs internet access. On mine in the drop-down I select Thunderbolt Ethernet and then click the sharing icon to start. You can tell if it worked by deleting all your wifi connections on your 3DS and then it will say it has internet w/ no wifi configured and that you're near a Nintendo Zone. If that shows up you're good to go to run the script.

Thanks, I'll give it another try tonight.

I was doing it at home, which most likely meant that I was already connected to my Wifi. Maybe deleting my Wifi settings will fix it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh, a cool use of all that extra Decalgirl material (I didn't use the second skin that's included to cover the inside plastic) -- trace a dime, cut out inside the line, and apply to your circle pad for the lightest of grip. Of course it's really difficult/impossible to get it cleanly on there so it ends up looking like a bottle cap, but the adhesive sticks well to the main dimpled area. Plus, you're kind of protecting the circle pad from hundreds of hours of your thumb grinding sweat, oil, and dead skin cells into it.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

fleshweasel posted:

Should I get the official AC adapter, or a USB cable, or what? I'm sorry if this has been discussed to death already.

These are $10 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...RICJLQ5BAZYGL5X

or like $7 shipped:
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...goryId=cat50010

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Charger-Cable-Nintendo-3DS-DS/dp/B0099HP4OC get like 5 put them everywhere.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

But that's :siren:NOT OFFICIAL:siren: what if my 3DS explodes!!!!!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Afro posted:

But that's :siren:NOT OFFICIAL:siren: what if my 3DS explodes!!!!!

Then you can sell it on eBay for $11K

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seriously though, the cable can't destroy your system. A bad AC adapter can. I don't get why the official one should be so large when it's delivering at most the same amount of power an iPhone gets.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thanks, ordered one. Although, I am a little perplexed how this tangible product is getting to me for $2.17 shipped. I mean, I guess they could mail it in a standard envelope with a couple of stamps and still turn some sort of minuscule profit.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I have one of those cheap-o made in China 3DS chargers, it is a USB adapter and a wall plug. Technically the electrical throughput is different from what is provided by the official charger, but is still well within the range of what the 3DS is designed to handle. It works when it's plugged into the wall.

When I try to plug the same charger into my laptop the charging light on the 3DS flickers so I don't do that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I've been using a USB cable to charge my New 3DS XL at work since release and it's fine.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
You're all wrong about the USB cables working because I heard once that it overcharged someone's Wii U gamepad!

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Having recently acquired a 3DS and beaten A Link Between Worlds, I now have a dilemma as to what to play next. I'm interested in Persona Q, SMT 4, and Bravely Default.

I'm normally a big SMT / Persona fan, but I heard Bravely Default was surprisingly good. Any goons have advice on which I should pick up first? I can't believe I waited so long to pick a 3DS up - the software library is great.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'd skip PQ, it is not very good. i'd say smtiv is probably the better of the other two

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Having recently acquired a 3DS and beaten A Link Between Worlds, I now have a dilemma as to what to play next. I'm interested in Persona Q, SMT 4, and Bravely Default.

I'm normally a big SMT / Persona fan, but I heard Bravely Default was surprisingly good. Any goons have advice on which I should pick up first? I can't believe I waited so long to pick a 3DS up - the software library is great.

Bravely Default will drag a bit in the 2nd half of the game. If you were to play all of them, I'd start with BD and end with SMT4.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Throne of Bhalz posted:

SMT 4 is amazing, definitely go for that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Unless you are really only interested in the characters from Persona 3/4, Etrian Odyssey 4 is probably a better alternative to PQ.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
PQ is pretty much a worse version of Etrian Odyssey, so I'd skip that and pick up EO4 or EOU if you're interested in dungeon crawlers. Can't say much about SMT IV.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you should buy smt4

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Awesome! posted:

you should buy smt4

everyone should buy smt4

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I did enjoy Persona 3 and 4, but if the underlying gameplay isn't there, I'll give it a pass. Is the story at least good? I'd probably enjoy it if writing was solid.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Two hours of multiplayer Curtain Call on Ultimate really takes it out of you, feels like I ran a marathon.

A Big... Dog posted:

everyone should buy smt4

I still haven't even finished Nocturne :negative:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I did enjoy Persona 3 and 4, but if the underlying gameplay isn't there, I'll give it a pass. Is the story at least good? I'd probably enjoy it if writing was solid.

I wouldn't say the writing is good. Unless you like the characters being reduced to one note jokes, like Chie talking about meat all the time, and Teddie being even more insufferable.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Throne of Bhalz posted:

There are no Social Links. Just Chaos.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is persona q dubbed

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome! posted:

is persona q dubbed

Throne of Bhalz posted:

yes no

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Bravely Default will drag a bit in the 2nd half of the game. If you were to play all of them, I'd start with BD and end with SMT4.

I did not enjoy SMT4 one bit, so give Bravely Default a shot for fun characters and baller job/class gameplay. If you enjoyed the previous SMT games you'll probably like SMT4 though.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Persona Q is still a good game. People seem a little too disparaging of it lately. I wouldn't necessarily call it a worse EO, but something more like "EO lite." In blending some mechanics from P3/4 with EO they made some pretty cool and satisfying systems. It definitely can get annoying how they distilled down the characters to a single note, but overall it's still endearing in terms of story and presentation. I would say don't pass it up completely for the last couple EO games; just get the EO games and Persona Q both.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I enjoyed the hell out of SMT3, so I'll give SMT4 a shot. Thanks, goons. Sucks to hear the general consensus on Persona, but maybe I'll pick it up when the price drops.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I would like to try Persona 4 Gold or whatever the enhanced Vita version is called, but then I'd have to buy a Vita.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Persona Q is still a good game. People seem a little too disparaging of it lately. I wouldn't necessarily call it a worse EO, but something more like "EO lite." In blending some mechanics from P3/4 with EO they made some pretty cool and satisfying systems. It definitely can get annoying how they distilled down the characters to a single note, but overall it's still endearing in terms of story and presentation. I would say don't pass it up completely for the last couple EO games; just get the EO games and Persona Q both.

in a perfect world people would have time to play every jrpg ever, and it's towards this goal i've devoted my life, but for most people recommending they play three different 50 hours rpgs is a bit of a commitment. it's hard to recommend pq when there's lots of better games out there

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

I would like to try Persona 4 Gold or whatever the enhanced Vita version is called, but then I'd have to buy a Vita.

you should buy a vita

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

SMT4: I am about 30 hours in and bored beyond tears with the story and the city. I want to like it, It looks neat the art is sometimes good sometimes bad, I can't recommend it after how much more fun I had with Devil Survivor.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Monkey Fracas posted:

i do not regret buying a vita

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Awesome! posted:

i do not regret buying a vita

I do not regret getting a free Vita.

(Persona 4 Golden is Fantastic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I regret getting both SMT4 and PQ. Both of them just felt like hollow imitations to me.