Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I would yell METAL GEAR and use my plot armour to escape!

Gentlemen, today you will be executing....A BOX?! Huh, where did he go? What was that noise, hmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

SadisTech posted:

I'm really, really getting loving shirty about the number of Australians I'm seeing making comments to the effect that "Oh boo hoo, convicted drug peddlers getting shot, they knew the risks, who cares."

Imagine knowing that you were going to be shot to death. Imagine being led into a jungle clearing at night and being tied to a post with your hands behind you. Imagine seeing a torch beam turned on and aimed right at your heart to provide a target.

Imagine men in uniforms filing into the clearing and lining up facing you. Imagine them picking up their rifles and aiming these lethal weapons right at you. Imagine hearing a harsh command shouted. Something terrible happens to your body and if you're lucky you'll die before you understand what it actually was. Your brain processes sounds slightly behind other sensation so your last conscious impression is of stunningly loud noise, frightening and painful in your ears.

If you're lucky you'll be dead straight away. If not, you might remain slightly conscious while they check, and then you hear the captain shout another order, and then a man in a uniform stands over you and aims his rifle down at you from point blank range.

Imagine that.

Who cares.

I'd probably mute the ads during My Kitchen Rules. That poo poo happens to other people

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Negligent posted:

If the riflemen fail to kill you it's a pistol to the head, not a rifle

Apart from it being messier is there any reason to not just do that in the first place?

If I was going to die by being shot I'd definitely prefer multiple shots to the head than through the heart.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
There are 12 dudes and only 3 have live ammo which is presumably for the mental health of the executioners

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Apart from it being messier is there any reason to not just do that in the first place?

If I was going to die by being shot I'd definitely prefer multiple shots to the head than through the heart.

I guess so the family can have an open casket funeral if they want

Also it's easier to miss the head (even when shooting at the torso firing squads miss more than you'd expect)

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

If they shot the head how could they prove that they killed the right person? I am guessing that might be a factor otherwise they could use any old stand in or alternatively claim they're just shooting a dirty crim when really its someone they want to get rid of, etc.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I guess so the family can have an open casket funeral if they want

Also it's easier to miss the head (even when shooting at the torso firing squads miss more than you'd expect)

Also you might just be a badarse fancy pants: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joachim_Murat

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

Execution by old age is always preferable.

I assume with the rifle thing it's probably mostly just because executions were always mostly just 90% show, as you know whats a deterrent if no one sees it, and like execution itself its a bad hangover from that, even if the executions now days aren't, thankfully public viewing.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

MEANWHILE:

NICK DYRENFURTH posted:

Why rev-head Ricky Muir is really a Labor man

Would former Labor Prime Minister Ben Chifley successfully contest preselection today?

This is the counterfactual scenario party types routinely like to explore. A Bathurst-born engine-driver without a university degree stands no chance, some say. The ranks of modern-day Labor politicians are reserved for party officials and former staffers, full-time union officials and middle-class professionals such as lawyers.

Others respond that a 21st century Chifley would in all likelihood prevail. Australia, they point out, is a vastly different place to that of the 1920s. Bright working-class kids such as Chifley would typically progress to higher education, a virtually impossible path for their predecessors. As former ALP national secretary Tim Gartrell put it a decade ago: would Ben Chifley have been a train driver today?

Both responses contain elements of truth and yet each is flawed. Chifley’s Australia is almost unrecognisable. The old industrial working-class continues to disappear before our eyes – even if class still matters – but we are more socially mobile. Our workplaces and parliaments are less blokey and more multicultural. The stereotype of the ex-Labor staffer or apparatchik with no “real” life experience, Gartrell insists, is largely a figment of the fevered imagination of right-wingers keen to paint modern Labor as out-of-touch with the concerns of the battlers of mainstream Australia.

Yet there is no doubt that Labor’s parliamentary ranks and membership have narrowed and are less reflective of the nation’s occupational and geographical diversity. Few of the current parliamentary caucus toiled on the shop floor or hail from working-class stock (Bill Shorten, despite sniping at his private school education, is a partial exception to the rule – his father was a waterside worker) or even enjoyed a career outside of politics, for that matter. This is not to say that ex-staffers, union officials and lawyers can’t be good politicians. But their narrow career paths scarcely assist the Labor Party’s pitch to an electorate whose life experiences are alien to them.

A case in point is the current federal Senator for Victoria and member of the Australian Motoring Enthusiast Party Ricky Muir. Muir is regularly described as the accidental politician who landed in Canberra on the back on dodgy preference deals favouring a fringe right-wing party of rev-heads. Yet he defies easy characterisation: in many respects he is a working-class Labor politician drawn from central casting. Having not seen out high school, Muir has mainly worked manual jobs – farming and in the manufacturing, timber and, of course, automobile industries. He has suffered anxiety-inducing periods of joblessness, as he revealed this week writing for Fairfax on the topic of our soaring youth unemployment rate. It is one of the best opinion pieces I’ve read in many years. In Muir’s time as an East Gippsland–based forestry worker, he was a paid-up member of the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union. He was shop steward for its forestry division, which by definition entails a sizeable degree of activist zeal and concern for the wellbeing of one’s colleagues. As a 33-year-old politician he helped salvage the Australian Renewable Energy Agency and voted against the Abbott government’s reckless decision to deregulate financial planning. His stellar maiden speech, delivered this week, was punctuated by a passionate defence of working-class living standards, including the right to enjoy penalty rates.

Muir is, in short, the archetypical Labor voter – a small ‘c’ conservative social democrat, although he would never be silly enough to use that phrase – whose basic concerns revolve around the wellbeing of his family, his workmates and his community.

So why wasn’t rev-head Ricky ever one of Labor’s preselected candidates or parliamentary representatives? For that matter, why wasn’t he ever a member of the ALP?

Perhaps Muir simply doesn’t identify with what some vapidly describe as “Labor values”. Certainly tribalism played no part in his upbringing by apolitical struggle-street parents. More realistically, his failure to be recruited to the Labor cause starkly demonstrates the failings of the modern ALP. It is supremely difficult for workers operating outside the formal employ of the Labor machine and wider labour movement to actively involve themselves in party affairs, to say nothing of the challenges confronting an unemployed (or underemployed) person trying to support a family.

No matter what Tim Gartrell might say, Muir’s lack of university education and high-powered connections means that he flies under the radar of party preselection. That his former union failed in its most basic task of enrolling him in the ALP is an all-too-common occurrence. If I were to suggest that Labor HQ or Muir’s local ALP branch contact him tomorrow with a view to gauging his interest in joining the party, mockery would follow.

And yet Labor is all the worse for not having the likes of Muir in its khaki.

Historically, the best governments, especially Labor ones, were occupationally diverse. Bob Hawke’s successful ministries of the mid 1980s, for instance, included a doctor, shearer, farmer, police officer, teachers, lawyers, a clerk (Paul Keating, who had also managed a rock band), two businessmen, a priest, and an accountant. A Japanese POW during World War Two, the late Tom Uren enjoyed careers as a boxer, rugby player, supermarket manager and retailer.

Perhaps we are also to blame. We bemoan the “political class” as robotic, out-of-touch types who couldn’t lie straight in bed let alone answer a simple yes-or-no question. Yet the moment a Ricky Muir is elected to parliament we cackle at the tabloid ridicule of an awkward TV interview, a kangaroo poo fight, footage of his eight-year-old daughter doing burnouts, his ill-fitting suit or a piece of unvarnished commentary.

So Ben Chifley the train-driver would certainly not win Labor preselection today.

Because, in the end, we wouldn’t want him to.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'd prefer a nitrogen asphyxiation, if possible.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Anidav posted:

MEANWHILE:

Headline says he's really a Labor man, article ends by concluding Labor would never have him.

Labor is not Labor

I guess the point is that Labor has changed dramatically from what the party used to stand for, which, no poo poo, really

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Guardian:

quote:

There are more men named Peter in the chief executive and chair positions of Australia’s 200 largest listed companies than there are women.

:D

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SadisTech posted:

Headline says he's really a Labor man, article ends by concluding Labor would never have him.

Labor is not Labor

I guess the point is that Labor has changed dramatically from what the party used to stand for, which, no poo poo, really

Hopefully with the shift of votes to the minor parties and independents we'll see more diversity come through them, and as long as Labor and LNP don't stop being as poo poo as they are -a fair bet if there ever was one- I don't really see that shift stopping any time soon.

Although Australian politics never seems to fail to disappoint so who knows.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

he looks so happy

This is great I love this so much.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

"I can't wait to hand out all these RESUMES"

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Angling for the next avatar from your benefactor?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

SadisTech posted:

I'm really, really getting loving shirty about the number of Australians I'm seeing making comments to the effect that "Oh boo hoo, convicted drug peddlers getting shot, they knew the risks, who cares."

Imagine knowing that you were going to be shot to death. Imagine being led into a jungle clearing at night and being tied to a post with your hands behind you. Imagine seeing a torch beam turned on and aimed right at your heart to provide a target.

Imagine men in uniforms filing into the clearing and lining up facing you. Imagine them picking up their rifles and aiming these lethal weapons right at you. Imagine hearing a harsh command shouted. Something terrible happens to your body and if you're lucky you'll die before you understand what it actually was. Your brain processes sounds slightly behind other sensation so your last conscious impression is of stunningly loud noise, frightening and painful in your ears.

If you're lucky you'll be dead straight away. If not, you might remain slightly conscious while they check, and then you hear the captain shout another order, and then a man in a uniform stands over you and aims his rifle down at you from point blank range.

Imagine that.

Who cares.

You'll probably be blindfolded though.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0150490/
You can take more than a dozen bullets to the head/torso and still draw breath.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Well this is an interesting development...

The Register posted:

Telstra to let customers access their own metadata for AU$25

...The carrier says that from April 1st it will offer a form on its Privacy Portal, from which customers can request metadata access under the following arrangements:

Requests for data beyond what is available on MyAccount will be subject to a cost recovery fee when a request is actioned. This fee will depend on how far back into Telstra records you request. Simple requests are expected to cost around $25, while detailed requests covering multiple services across several years will be charged at an hourly rate. This is the same practice of cost recovery that is applied to requests from law enforcement agencies. The data provided will be limited to information associated with your account. Information about another party will not be provided, such as who called you.

...One other thing to note: Australia's Privacy Act requires organisations to take steps to record the type of personal information that they hold and to give individuals access to that information. Telstra's moves are being framed in the context of the metadata debate, but this could be a compliance move rather than a bold entry to the metadata retention debate.
[/url]

I'm honestly curious how people will react to seeing how much of their data is recorded, and how many people check. Media Watch actually had a pretty great segment on the issues with even our current laws about telecommuication metadata, and how it has affected journalist trying to protect sources.

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/tv/mediawatch/mediawatch_2015_ep05.mp4 (Starts at 2:30. Although the part before is about Mad as hell so is naturally worth a watch as well

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

QUACKTASTIC posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0150490/
You can take more than a dozen bullets to the head/torso and still draw breath.

The first review of that is great:

quote:

...The program begins by showing us the guillotine from France, a century ago, and then moves to the current day. We are shown the various forms of execution from shootings, stonings and decapitations to electrocutions, gassings and lethal-injections. World War Two is looked at, with the Nazi's mass genocide of the Jews. Other atrocities are also shown in Bosnia, China, Iraq, Rwanda and South America. An executioner in a Virginia, USA prison shows us the procedure of an execution by electric chair. Some of the images are quite graphic, especially the shooting of a man in Beirut at the end, but overall it isn't too disturbing.

...56 minutes of people getting executed is apparently over all not too distributing...

I'm not sure if the internet has ruined people, or just people have ruined people.
I'm guessing the latter.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Executions used to be public long before the internet was invented

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Negligent posted:

Executions used to be public long before the internet was invented

If only the first people they executed were the executioners finally this circle of violence could end. :(

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

dr_rat posted:

If only the first people they executed were the executioners finally this circle of violence could end. :(

Nah, executioners were typically either soldiers following orders or 'untouchable' type peasant families who couldn't get any other kind of work, depending on when and where in history. You'd have to kill the people ordering the execution.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
"I order you to kill people who are ordering people to kill people." :v:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zetsubou-san posted:

"I order you to kill people who are ordering people to kill people." :v:

And they won't be able to do that until someone else has killed them, which wont happen until someone else...

All worlds problems can be solved by stupid logic games

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

iajanus posted:

I'd prefer a nitrogen asphyxiation, if possible.

100% this. I saw that documentary too. Got this method locked in for when I inevitably commit suicide after the LNP is voted in again say the next federal election*

*hyperbole

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The whole point of an execution is to do it publicly. Set an example, deterrence etc.

To bad it doesn't work. Most crimes are either crimes of passion / or the person thinks there's no way they'll get caught.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

When we asked them for food or water they said ‘if you don’t like this situation you have to [go] back to your country’.”

“They kept us in very bad situation and some of the women were sick … but they just laughing at us.”

The bail form refugees were required to sign commits them to a surety of $500, to be paid if the refugee fails to appear in court when summonsed, or if he or she breaches bail conditions. The handwritten bail conditions are: “to keep peace and not to re-offend”.

The bail form does not say with what offence they have been charged, or if they have been charged at all. Refugees, who are given an allowance of $180 a fortnight, have said any fine would be an impossible to pay. Those who have found jobs earn about between three and four dollars an hour.

According to a directive issued by the Nauru police director, Corey Caleb, breaching the peace includes gathering in groups larger than three. Any protesters who fail to disperse when ordered can be jailed.

Refugees are also restricted in where they can go on the island. They cannot go to schools, the hospital, airport, harbours or parliament.

Nauru’s constitution guarantees “every person in Nauru ... freedom of conscience, of expression and of peaceful assembly and association”.

Guardian Australia called Caleb several times on his mobile phone, but calls were not answered.

Nauru’s president, Baron Waqa, said police had not been violent towards refugee protesters, but that they would not be allowed to demonstrate on the streets. He said “faceless people” in Australia were inciting resistance on Nauru.

“Refugees [are] safe in the country and talk to the contrary is blatant lies spread by Australian advocates and lawyers,” he said in a statement.

Australia’s immigration minister, Peter Dutton, said the protests on Nauru were a matter for local authorities, but that Australia’s offshore resettlement policy would not be influenced by protests.

“If people who have been resettled on Nauru believe that these activities will change Australia’s position – they are wrong ... those who come illegally by boat will never be settled in Australia.”

He said refugees should treat the people and government of Nauru with “gratitude and respect”.
The lnp is providing Nauru with their pr playbook, I see. This whole thing is a crime.

Refugees on Nauru say they were forced to sign bail orders banning protests

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

katlington posted:

The lnp is providing Nauru with their pr playbook, I see. This whole thing is a crime.

Refugees on Nauru say they were forced to sign bail orders banning protests

It may be just easier to accept that asylum isn't a ticket to a first world country. Just get on with it and build a better life thankful that you aren't being sent back to your country of origin where you will allegedly be tortured and/or killed.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

It may be just easier to accept that asylum isn't a ticket to a first world country. Just get on with it and build a better life thankful that you aren't being sent back to your country of origin where you will allegedly be tortured and/or killed.

oh okay

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Why the gently caress doesn't the LNP sell Christmas Island to Indonesia already, it's where all the boats aim for any way because it's so close to Indonesia / where they're setting off from. Who cares about losing all the resource rights in between the mainland and there, it's worth it to get rid of some of the browns.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Graic Gabtar posted:

kill yourself mate

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Why should we give up our sovereign land to some terrorists who probably stole their own land to begin with. We should invade Indonesia and deport them all to Iraq where they probably came from as far as anybody can tell

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Queue jumpers and communists that's all I have to say.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Why should we give up our sovereign land to some terrorists who probably stole their own land to begin with. We should invade Indonesia and deport them all to Iraq where they probably came from as far as anybody can tell

You mean our sovereign land that we STOLE off the Aboriginal people?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Graic Gabtar posted:

You're a piece of garbage.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

We could use the deal to get are boys back, win-win

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Systematic posted:

You mean our sovereign land that we STOLE off the Aboriginal people?

They definitely stole from someone else though, they're always stealing

starkebn fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 7, 2015

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Angling for the next avatar from your benefactor?

It works like a charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Get tortured/killed in your war-torn shithole of a country, or get tortured/killed in beautiful sunny Australia.

TortureKill is my new grindcore band

• Locked thread