Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

suprised it took that long

better make room between the lisas and et carts for all the applol watches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

i thought you meant they took features out, not "the wsj needed to fill column inches"

the only thing i was expecting it to do is heart rate/step tracking

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

tim pls

pls ship the watch tim

tim

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Apple Watch Battery to Support Five Hours of Heavy Usage, Will Last All Day With Mixed Use

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/06/apple-watch-battery-five-hours-heavy-usage/

switzerland is hosed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, i mean what kind of battery life is switzerland getting these days anyway?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i will eat a ban if cremnob is probated for a month

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

cremnob posted:

Apple Watch Battery to Support Five Hours of Heavy Usage, Will Last All Day With Mixed Use

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/06/apple-watch-battery-five-hours-heavy-usage/

switzerland is hosed

lol if your watch has a loving battery

loving clownshoe poo poo for clowns at clown college

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

also good watches are made in glorious nippon uhh.. malaysia

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

quote:

It appears that prototype devices have 8GB of storage, suggesting at least some devices will ship with that amount of storage space. Like with the iPhone, there may be several storage options that are available at an additional cost.

:eek:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hurf durf i'm a watch posted:

A Power Reserve Mode can be activated within the watch when the battery in the device becomes critically low, ensuring that it's primary function -- telling the time -- is always available. Power Reserve Mode can be activated at any time via a Battery Life Glance screen.

thank god i can put my watch into low power mode so that it will still function as a watch if i've had the misfortune of attempting to use it for anything

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

cremnob should be probated for all of next week due to his abominable showing in the flame war

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 6, 2015

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

theflyingexecutive posted:

cremnob should be probated for all [...] due to his abominable

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

infernal machines posted:

thank god i can put my watch into low power mode so that it will still function as a watch if i've had the misfortune of attempting to use it for anything

no you see its a luxury item its not meant to be used its meant to be experienced

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also the fact that this a) exists, and b) is being touted as a feature is a good indication the the tech isn't ready for this product and a wiser apple would have waited until it wasn't needed

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

also the fact that this a) exists, and b) is being touted as a feature is a good indication the the tech isn't ready for this product and a wiser apple would have waited until it wasn't needed

the original iPhone had a 5 hour battery life

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
why did you idiots nominate cremnob for the flamewar? his whole gimmick is a financial fanboy, it's unclear whether he actually knows how to turn on a computer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

the original iPhone had a 5 hour battery life

and other smartphones were at best on par with that

is this competing with watches or "smart watches"?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

example of a good, tech-heavy, luxury watch:

http://www.timelessluxwatches.com/reviews/how-spring-drive-works

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management posted:

why did you idiots nominate cremnob for the flamewar?

so he would lose and get banned

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

spring drive is super cool and if omega had invented it instead of seiko they'd be a lot more popular

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i got it

the inside of the world's first digital crown will be where the 1/8th inch jack is for the headphones.

i'm a genius

jonny ive better watch out, here i come

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

qirex posted:

spring drive is super cool and if omega had invented it instead of seiko they'd be a lot more popular

im really hoping they get cheaper because i want one bad but i can't afford a $$$$ watch that i know ill just ding up somewhere along the time

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

and other smartphones were at best on par with that

is this competing with watches or "smart watches"?

smart watches, obviously, despite what cremnob might think

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

there wasn't really a market for smartphones outside of professionals pre-iPhone. the Apple watch may be good enough as a watch and as a smart watch to really grow the market outside of nerdos that would wear an android or pebble

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

uncurable mlady posted:

there wasn't really a market for smartphones outside of professionals pre-iPhone. the Apple watch may be good enough as a watch and as a smart watch to really grow the market outside of nerdos that would wear an android or pebble

the thing is that everyone had and knew the value of a mobile phone in the first place, whereas fewer people are wearing watches over time

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

apple watch is going to do really well for a long time and poo poo on every other smart watch and destroy the current sub $500 watch market, that's my prediction.

the current smart watch market is flooded with commodity android watches and the pebble. nerds and poors who fuss over price and features will buy a pebble, and everyone else will get the apple watch, which is how every successful apple product is positioned

switzerland will be fine, it's the plastic-movement throwaway fashion watch industry (Diesel, Swiss Legend, Michael Kors, etc) that will be proper hosed. the people that spend $800 on a fasion watch with no provenance are not the people who buy the actually expensive watches, but they'll definitely purchase an apple watch. people that have expensive watches own more than one anyway so theyll pick up the cheap apple watch no doubt

however i dont think the gold apple watch will do well at all. it's an interesting and risky play into a new market, but i don think apple can tussle with the old guard of the watch industry

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the old guards are hosed

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

reminder that jony ive said that "switzerland is hosed"

According to a designer who works at Apple, Jonathan Ive, Apple’s design chief, in bragging about how cool he thought the iWatch was shaping up to be, gleefully said Switzerland is in trouble — though he chose a much bolder term for “trouble” to express how he thought the watchmaking nation might be in a tough predicament when Apple’s watch comes out.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

The Apple Watch Is Time, Saved

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/06/the-apple-watch-is-time-saved/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a rumored off the record comment from an unnamed source is a prophecy of literal fact for all time

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

qirex posted:

the thing is that everyone had and knew the value of a mobile phone in the first place, whereas fewer people are wearing watches over time

the value of an iPhone is a lot different than the value of a mobile phone though, even for a first generation iPhone

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

switzerland is only hosed if they try to make a smart watch, imagine a jaerger lecoultre reverso smwart watch, which would be poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

a rumored off the record comment from an unnamed source is a prophecy of literal fact for all time

he unironically posts macrumours.com articles, what do you expect

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

yard salad posted:

switzerland is only hosed if they try to make a smart watch, imagine a jaerger lecoultre reverso smwart watch, which would be poo poo

does the reverso go counter-clockwise?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

qirex posted:

lol if u think having a named source matters at all. when was the last time mark gurman or gruber named their source?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

yard salad posted:

they are making smart watches and its gonna be hilarious

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/world/middleeast/obama-ordered-wave-of-cyberattacks-against-iran.html?pagewanted=all

no named sources, fake

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

is it possible that the unnamed sources dont want to lose their jobs?

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
i have no opinion on the apple watch but as a result of this thread i went and watched a bunch of youtube videos on how quartz and mechanical watches work so thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
that spring drive seems cool. i already have that baller rear end seiko ball watch, the kinetic, so i already am part of the future.

• Locked thread