Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

They had a pretty good solution for containing the eldrazi until a buncha jerk kids went and ruined it, didn't they?

Well, it apparently wasn't that good of a solution then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
lol the "insert card is going in my edh deck" is the best thing about this thread

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

bhsman posted:

Re: Temur Sarkhan, he was written to have a background with the Temur clan before he ascended and where he first got his dragon boner, so him becoming Temur-aligned makes sense.

Wasn't there a long discussion during the panel about Sarkhan originally being part of the Mardu clan? Someone in the audience even asked what his War Name was.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ramos posted:

Who wants to place money down for the second set being named "Fall of the Eldrazi"?

I can't imagine they didn't at least think of that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ramos posted:

Yeah, the long of the short was that everything had one or two obvious functions, but when placed against the rest of the block, gained multiple more uses and implementations. That is the prime example of "Context is everything" because when I first saw a bunch of individual cards from Rise of the Eldrazi, I wasn't impressed.

Speaking of which:

Who wants to place money down for the second set being named "Fall of the Eldrazi"?

If the Eldrazi are defeated in one block that would be disappointing since like every planeswalker who's been on zendikar ever has spent like all the time since roe running around and hunting for allies

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Zoness posted:

I mean, venser was pretty good at being a tricky gently caress before his spark was a thing he used.

Vesner was like "Hey guys, I'm totally thinking about making a new planeswalking ship" everyone else was like "That's a terrible idea." So there is definitely a thread they could use for giving Phyrexians portals/planar travel.

Ramos posted:

Well, it apparently wasn't that good of a solution then.

Basically they were like "We literally are not powerful enough to defeat them and we don't think there is anyone that can. The best we can do is lock them on some poor sucker of a plane."

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

qbert posted:

Wasn't there a long discussion during the panel about Sarkhan originally being part of the Mardu clan? Someone in the audience even asked what his War Name was.

He's a former Mardu general (and Zurgo was pissed at him for killing his men sans Zurgo in the explosion that caused Sarkhan's ascension) but he spent some time with the Temur.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Has there ever been a 3 color Walker that had a big impact on standard?

This is only the second one and the first was hard as poo poo to cast, so no but that doesn't mean much really. Assuming that the obvious thing happens and we get Enemy fetches in the Fall, we're going to have like 6 months of the second most perfect mana in standard. It is going to be really easy to cast Sarkhan.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Something hilarious to note that was brought up to me on Twitter:

DFC Lilana dies to Moonmist.

... and I'd imagine all of the other ones as well (assuming they're human).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

En Fuego posted:

Something hilarious to note that was brought up to me on Twitter:

DFC Lilana dies to Moonmist.

... and I'd imagine all of the other ones as well (assuming they're human).

I don't see how this works.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

bhsman posted:

He's a former Mardu general (and Zurgo was pissed at him for killing his men sans Zurgo in the explosion that caused Sarkhan's ascension) but he spent some time with the Temur.

Interesting. If they wanted to nod at the flavor, though, I still wish they had made his CMC something like 3GR.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

I don't see how this works.

If you transform Human Lili, she just becomes a Planeswalker with no loyalty counters on, and dies as a state-based action.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Okay... Gideon goes back to Zendikar because he is A Hero and wants to help
Jace goes back on a honeymoon/to protect Ravnica
Liliana goes to fight Ob Nixilis
Chandra goes back on a honeymoon/to steal things
Nissa goes back because that's been her goal

Surprise Garruk is posessed AGAIN and now he is a Colorless/Green Planeswalker who summons big monsters.

Real talk though, the way Garruk loves dinosaurs, gotta figure he'd love Eldrazi at least a little bit the same way Sarkhan loved Bolas.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

When they transform they have no Loyalty and go to the yard as a state based effect.

Edit: oh hey beaten

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Planeswalkers enter the battlefield with loyalty counters, that's why she gets blinked when she flips.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The language on the human side also says transform, is there something I don't understand that would cause it to gain counters if it transforms naturally versus otherwise?

Emerson Cod posted:

Planeswalkers enter the battlefield with loyalty counters, that's why she gets blinked when she flips.

Okay thanks

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Okay... Gideon goes back to Zendikar because he is A Hero and wants to help
Jace goes back on a honeymoon/to protect Ravnica
Liliana goes to fight Ob Nixilis
Chandra goes back on a honeymoon/to steal things
Nissa goes back because that's been her goal

Surprise Garruk is posessed AGAIN and now he is a Colorless/Green Planeswalker who summons big monsters.

Real talk though, the way Garruk loves dinosaurs, gotta figure he'd love Eldrazi at least a little bit the same way Sarkhan loved Bolas.

Lack I checked player avatar planeswalker (and Jace, I guess) sealed away Garruk's power and curse, just kind of making him angry and frustrated more than anything. More importantly, Ob Nixis was unsealed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

He was Mardu, but he went off to hang out with the cool-guy Temur Shamans where he learned his uncomfortable dragon obsession.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Ramos posted:

Lack I checked player avatar planeswalker (and Jace, I guess) sealed away Garruk's power and curse, just kind of making him angry and frustrated more than anything. More importantly, Ob Nixis was unsealed.

unsealed but still on Zendikar last I heard. Something to the tune of "I am restored, but I am not a planeswalker yet. better lay low on eldritch horror island"

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

lol the "insert card is going in my edh deck" is the best thing about this thread

It's a conversation that goes great in my talking points edh deck.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I want to mess around with this

4 stormbreath dragon
4 sylvan caryatid
4 elvish mystic
4 thunderbreak regent
4 savage knuckleblade
2 courser of kruphix

2 crater's claws
4 lightning strike
4 stubborn denial

3 Sarkhan Unbroken
1 Atarka, World Render

edit: I think I might like Surrak in here, too

I would say cut a sarkhan for a surrak. Maybe a regent and a knuckleblade for 2 instead, hard to say. I do think you would do well to replace 2 of your lightning strikes with roast. I think being able to blast out coursers, rhinos, tasigurs, polukranos, etc. for 2 mana is going to be pretty good

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

dragon enthusiast posted:

They are basically fantasy X-Men so that's what you're going to get

Yup this is really obviously a team of of planeswalkers, one of each of the 5 colors vs. the evil space monsters. Also if the Magic movie plot isn't basically this I'll be really surprised. Just imagine fantasy The Avengers movie.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I think OG Atarka would be better as a beater? pseudo 12/4 with 6 power of first strike seems more threatening than an 8/8 that casts a slightly worse Boulderfall... Especially since the original gives your other dragons double strike? 7 is also usually less than 8 even in a ramp deck, so playing her a turn early might be relevent

fake edit: oh right. all the new dragons are DragonLords. Worldrender is the OG.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Yup this is really obviously a team of of planeswalkers, one of each of the 5 colors vs. the evil space monsters. Also if the Magic movie plot isn't basically this I'll be really surprised. Just imagine fantasy The Avengers movie.

Clearly it will be a multiple movie franchise covering the exploits of the Weatherlight crew.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Good things come to those who draft.

Still went 1-2

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Failboattootoot posted:

I would say cut a sarkhan for a surrak. Maybe a regent and a knuckleblade for 2 instead, hard to say. I do think you would do well to replace 2 of your lightning strikes with roast. I think being able to blast out coursers, rhinos, tasigurs, polukranos, etc. for 2 mana is going to be pretty good

I played Temur for a while in standard and in my experience, I'd say to a Sarkhan and cut Atarka entirely. Play 4 Crater's Claws. You don't need Roast if you have a way to reliably cast Crater's Claws with the Ferocious trigger. Crater's Claws will let you win the game out of nowhere, and it happens all the time.

jassi007 posted:

I would be really surprised if the Magic the Gathering movie gets greenlit for production, e.g. we ever find out what the plot was supposed to be. Comic movie craze or not, its named "Magic: the Gathering" and doesn't have the kind of following or budget the Marvel Universe does. The again, the Warcraft movie is real, so I don't know.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 7, 2015

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!

Angry Grimace posted:

I played Temur for a while in standard and in my experience, I'd say to a Sarkhan and cut Atarka entirely. Play 4 Crater's Claws. You don't need Roast if you have a way to reliably cast Crater's Claws with the Ferocious trigger. Crater's Claws will let you win the game out of nowhere, and it happens all the time.

Definitely agree with Crater's Claws. I've had so many times where this has just been an all star at multiple points in the game, especially if you will generally be turning on Ferocious most of the time.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GoutPatrol posted:

Good things come to those who draft.

Still went 1-2

You made more money than the guy that went 3-0, though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wizards loves me, this I know,
RUG Sarkhan, I'll buy them so :allears:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love the DFC planeswalkers, although they raise the same kind of mechanical issue I was talking about earlier. If you target a Liliana creature with Searing Blaze, her controller can sacrifice another creature in response to make her planeswalk and save her. On the other hand, if you target her and her controller with an entwined Barbed Lightning, she planeswalks away, the Barbed Lightning still resolves, and kills her. But like the hilarious Moonmist trick, it's not likely to show up very often.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ManiacMatt posted:

Definitely agree with Crater's Claws. I've had so many times where this has just been an all star at multiple points in the game, especially if you will generally be turning on Ferocious most of the time.

If a card is getting taken out for Roast, I think its Lightning Strike, really. Even then, Sorcery speed to me suggests just going with Strike and Claws as your removal. The secret Ferocious Shock tech still works!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
standard is bad
dragons are dumb
you've got til monday
to sign up for tdome

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Chamale posted:

I love the DFC planeswalkers, although they raise the same kind of mechanical issue I was talking about earlier. If you target a Liliana creature with Searing Blaze, her controller can sacrifice another creature in response to make her planeswalk and save her. On the other hand, if you target her and her controller with an entwined Barbed Lightning, she planeswalks away, the Barbed Lightning still resolves, and kills her. But like the hilarious Moonmist trick, it's not likely to show up very often.

Can't you still kill her with the Searing Blaze, provided you have landfall?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I don't understand what they were thinking when they put Sarkhan's Ultimate on there. Why not just make him turn into a 10/10 Flying, Indestructible, Hexproof dragon or some poo poo? Just seems weird to require a deck stacked with Dragons.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Edit: I misremembered searing blaze.

Searing Blaze will still have a valid target(THe player) and will resolve. That can do 3 damage to the now 'walker Liliana.

Searing BLOOD would get countered due to no target.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Alaan posted:

No. THe original spell is countered on resolution due to no valid target. (provided it was targeting creature Liliana)

Searing Blaze has 2 targets and removing one won't counter it, though? It will still deal 3 damage to the player that you can redirect to Liliana.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

If a card is getting taken out for Roast, I think its Lightning Strike, really. Even then, Sorcery speed to me suggests just going with Strike and Claws as your removal. The secret Ferocious Shock tech still works!

I can kinda see that, 3 damage in this format isn't killing much that shock can't kill, like I can't think of any heavily played creatures with 3 toughness exactly.

I mean, I'm sure I'm opening up a huge torrent of posts full of creatures i've forgotten but at the first sign it seems possible. But to be honest the versatility of being able to hit players with strike means it probably will still be the go to red 2 drop removal.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Starving Autist posted:

Searing Blaze has 2 targets and removing one won't counter it, though? It will still deal 3 damage to the player that you can redirect to Liliana.

Yeah I edited while you were posting :ninja:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

forbidden lesbian posted:

I can kinda see that, 3 damage in this format isn't killing much that shock can't kill, like I can't think of any heavily played creatures with 3 toughness exactly.

I mean, I'm sure I'm opening up a huge torrent of posts full of creatures i've forgotten but at the first sign it seems possible. But to be honest the versatility of being able to hit players with strike means it probably will still be the go to red 2 drop removal.
The "Ferocious Shock" trick I'm referring to is when you have Ferocious, you can cast Crater's Claws with X=0 for 2 damage. But Wild Slash is a card I ran without problems in Temur too since there aren't enough 3 toughness creatures for it to matter. Speaking of them, its right now Mantis Rider and Fleecemane Lion (Lion being more of a long term threat to Monstrous). Seeker of the Way and Monastery Mentor are threats to go to 3 as well if their controller does anything at all in response to your Wild Slash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't understand what they were thinking when they put Sarkhan's Ultimate on there. Why not just make him turn into a 10/10 Flying, Indestructible, Hexproof dragon or some poo poo? Just seems weird to require a deck stacked with Dragons.

This goes in my Scion the Ur-Dragon EDH deck. How many dragons in that deck? *Searches, reveals*

• Locked thread