Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
What Awesome! said. Just put in what criteria you can (like, I'll normally set it to G2 quests right now as the target), and if it's broad enough you'll get up to 5 pages of results. Then just flip through them, find what you need, and join if they're still in the Gathering Hall. If you don't find what you need, there's a Retry button on the touchscreen to search again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Awesome! posted:

dont join rooms when they're already on a quest then. you can see that info before you join

So the 1 room per target type, that often by the time you join is in the quest? That doesn't alleviate the stupidity of not letting someone join mid-quest.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

make your own room then

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Awesome! posted:

make your own room then

Now there are two problems

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I do target by quest and then join ongoing rooms. I will wait for like 5-10 minutes (if they are on a mission longer than 15 minutes at my ranks, they are probably really bad or lost) then join in the rotation. We usually trade missions then back and forth, and I've ran into plenty of people who are more than happy to do non-key quests as long as they aren't gathering/kill little monsters.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I'm going to wring the necks of the mongoloids at Capcom who thought Dalamadur was a good monster design. What an unbelievably awful fight. "Hey guys, we heard you didn't really like Ceadeus, so we took out the ballistas and dragonator to make it more tedious. Have fun!"

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You're crazy if you think dalamadur is worse than ceadeus

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

It's still a boring rear end fight.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

tower of druaga posted:

You're crazy if you think dalamadur is worse than ceadeus

They're both at such a level of awful and boring that it doesn't matter which is worse.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Save your complaints for the much harder, ~g5 rank Dalamadur subspecies that ALWAYS takes like 20+ minutes to kill with 4 people, and has a definitive end phase that starts when it gets to low HP and forces you to deal with all the most dangerous parts of the fight head-on over and over until you beat it or fail.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They should make you fight Dalamadur underwater

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I don't understand the Dalma hate it seems like a fun good fight to me :shrug:

To each his own I guess.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Dalamadur is boring but Ceadeus is way worse.

quaunaut posted:

So the 1 room per target type, that often by the time you join is in the quest? That doesn't alleviate the stupidity of not letting someone join mid-quest.
They pretty obviously want people to be there for the full fight. It also makes it so you can't do something like drop out and rejoin to restock on items.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Ceadeus was stupid bullshit because it would randomly run away from you and you could hardly follow it and sometimes it would rocket away and you just have to dodge and wait for it to come back

Giant Snake Man moves around but at least it's always to a few locations so you know where to go and you can get there, plus there are usually multiple places you can hit it from. Plus moving on the walls is a lot more interesting and cool than jank swimming.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it took me like 3 or 4 tries to break the goddamn beard the first time i fought that fucker. it was the worst

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

johnny park posted:

I'm going to wring the necks of the mongoloids at Capcom who thought Dalamadur was a good monster design. What an unbelievably awful fight. "Hey guys, we heard you didn't really like Ceadeus, so we took out the ballistas and dragonator to make it more tedious. Have fun!"

dalamadur's got nothing on ceadeus in the boredom department and compared to fuckers like lao-shan he's a god-drat roller coaster ride with fireworks

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
How long can I get away with not having Sharpness+1 in G-rank? I know I can clownsuit together something from G-rank Hermitaur/Velociprey parts, but I'm wondering if I need to farm up an HR S+1 set to get even that far.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

How long can I get away with not having Sharpness+1 in G-rank? I know I can clownsuit together something from G-rank Hermitaur/Velociprey parts, but I'm wondering if I need to farm up an HR S+1 set to get even that far.

I made an armor set with this:

head: http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/head/ukanlos-mask
chest: http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/chest/rebellion-mail
arms: http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/arms/ukanlos-claws
legs: anything with torso up, like http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/legs/tetsucabra-greaves-s

This gives you edgemaster, which is sharpness+1 and attack up L, and only requires HR stuff (admittedly, high-end HR, like you'll have to farm the Urgents that bring you to G-rank a little), and then you can add anything you want on top. I added in a Zinogre waist combined with an evasion charm and got up to evasion + 2.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Hey, what is the armor in this promo image? I can't seem to find it, but it looks dope.

I'm guessing the bow's from the same monster.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Neo_Crimson posted:

Bog standard advice is to craft sergios because he is a g1 urgent/g2 quest and people are always doing it, so you can ride along and get a little carried.

Would help to know what exactly you are trying to do

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Space Hamlet posted:

Hey, what is the armor in this promo image? I can't seem to find it, but it looks dope.

It's Seregios Gunner armor + bow.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Space Hamlet posted:

That's all Seregios stuff

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008
Pubbies have failed me for the last time. If it isn't the little pissant Kirin karting people, then it's the super telegraphing Rajang. Anyone down to farm triforces? Just eat for thunder res, bring powders, and don't be an idiot.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Man this game has complicated damage formulas. :psyduck:

I understand how elemental damage works in theory, but am not entirely sure how it works in context- It seems like weapons with higher raw just beat out ANY elemental attack, even on monsters weak to that element.

Could someone tell me about how much a 'good' element is worth on a specific monster, in terms of raw attack? Say, comparing the new Clockwork Glaive (310 Atk / 430 lightning, blue sharpness) VS the shell intoner (496 attack, blue sharpness) on a monster who has lightning as its biggest weakness?

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 7, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I am super irked that the poogie HH is only good for low levels.

Neo_Crimson posted:

You never ~need~ it, it's great to have if you're making some minmaxed endgame set though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fungah! posted:

dalamadur's got nothing on ceadeus in the boredom department and compared to fuckers like lao-shan he's a god-drat roller coaster ride with fireworks

Cedaeus was so loving horrible. I don't know what they were thinking. :doh:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

It was a thematic capstone to the whole game (a giant whale dragon in a game that advertised underwater monsters). It failed in execution because underwater combat sucks.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I found that even by the end of HR my attacks were bouncing too much and I was sharpening too often to hack it with ner s so I switched to the gore s set that gives sharpness +1 , it's been a big help

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Zaphod42 posted:

Ceadeus was an attempt to flesh out the underwater battle system to show off how awesome it was - which failed miserably because the general underwater combat mechanics were terrible by default. IMO Dire Miralis did the job better with the mixed water-land segments, and I didn't have as much frustration with the underwater elements due to using Bowguns, but polished poo poo is still poo poo.

To Dalamadur, Ceadeus doesn't even compare; I personally find the battle to be a blast, and I enjoyed how unique it was compared to everything else. My one gripe with the fight is the loving unnecessary meteors, which have no explanation to their existence and have a horrible habit of falling on your head at precise moments where you can't block or Superman-dive away from their huge hitboxes. And don't get me started on trying to mine Shattered Omens from them. Couldn't they have just made Dalamadur shoot his infinite spikes at you or something as he changed positions? :shrug:

Unrelated:

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 7, 2015

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I got a +5 handicraft charm so I could get sharpness +1 in my Seregios gear but I'd need two Deviljho gems and ehhhhhhh

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Elysiume posted:

I got a +5 handicraft charm so I could get sharpness +1 in my Seregios gear but I'd need two Deviljho gems and ehhhhhhh

Sharpness + 1 does literally nothing for Seregios weapons so if one of those is part of your Seregios gear then don't sweat it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Moon Monster posted:

Sharpness + 1 does literally nothing for Seregios weapons so if one of those is part of your Seregios gear then don't sweat it.
That's part of it, but I want to swap out my Seregios weapon. It's really not very good for chargeblade, as you burn through a lot of sharpness blocking and using phial bursts. I'm just using it because it looks cool.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

I'm currently working through the HR6 Advanced quests if anyone would like to join me. It looks like the pubbies know better than to sign up for Frenzied Tigrex/Brute Tigrex. The room ID is 45-5310-2266-8980

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Man this game has complicated damage formulas. :psyduck:

I understand how elemental damage works in theory, but am not entirely sure how it works in context- It seems like weapons with higher raw just beat out ANY elemental attack, even on monsters weak to that element.

Could someone tell me about how much a 'good' element is worth on a specific monster, in terms of raw attack? Say, comparing the new Clockwork Glaive (310 Atk / 430 lightning, blue sharpness) VS the shell intoner (496 attack, blue sharpness) on a monster who has lightning as its biggest weakness?
That's because you are comparing a weapon with a significant raw advantage to one that doesn't have one but a gigantic element component. In general significant raw advantages will eclipse elemental damage, even if the elemental damage is really sizeable. Often when people are comparing elemental weapons, it's with an entire weapon rarity level that doesn't have significant raw advantages over one another.

Anyway there's no easy way to say exactly how'good an element is without invoking the wiki and listing the physical and elemental vulnerabilities as well as what part of the monster you are hitting. Suffice to say, fast hitting weapons 'benefit' from elemental damage more than slow hitting weapons because you are utilizing the elemental component more often, but you are always utilizing the raw component with each hit. You have to consider sharpness too because the multiplier for Raw is higher than the Elemental multiplier. All of these are basically supporting facts as to why significant raw will eclipse elemental every time.

For a quick comparison though, let's use your example. I'm going off the stats you have in your post.

IG Wpn 1: 310 Raw, 420 lightning = 310/3.1 + 420/10 = 100 raw + 42 elemental
IG Wpn 2: 496 Raw = 496/3.1 = 160 raw

You can sum the numbers together to get effective damage for comparison purposes. This is usually Good Enough for deciding which weapon to use, so you can see weapon 2 has a higher effective damage value better before sharpness is even considered. You don't even need to go to the damage formula for this one, the second weapon is just flat out better.

If you want to go deeper then you need to look at the overall damage calculation. You have to be terribly spergy to do this because the effective comparison above is really Good Enough. I would normally show you a sample but I honestly have no idea how the red juice buffs interact with elemental damage nor how the kinsect bug stats influence damage. Given the fact IG has a lot of hits associated with its motion values though, I am sure elemental damage just as competitive with them as they are with SnS.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 7, 2015

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Is there an Evade 2 or 3 gem? Becuase all I've got are 2 Evade 1's and I can't even get to evade +10 with that.
Do I just have to luck into an Evade+ talisman?
I've got a full set of Regios S and it's pretty good, but getting Evade+ looks like hell.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I like Seregios but god, fighting him with a greatsword is aggravating and takes forever.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Is there an Evade 2 or 3 gem? Becuase all I've got are 2 Evade 1's and I can't even get to evade +10 with that.
Do I just have to luck into an Evade+ talisman?
I've got a full set of Regios S and it's pretty good, but getting Evade+ looks like hell.
There's an evade +3 that takes up two slots. And you can always make more than 2 gems and craft armor that has intrinsic evasion.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Celery Face posted:

I like Seregios but god, fighting him with a greatsword is aggravating and takes forever.

Flash bombs, traps. Work smarter, not harder.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Had my first run in with Teostra today. I'm somewhat regretting my decision to make his Lance. Took me 25 minutes to kill it, though it was my first time ever, so I guess it's better than settling for a repel? Couldn't cut the tail either. Is the tail two carves like Alatreon's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
How do I access the March dlc?

• Locked thread