Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

quote:

- "supported_version" now requires at least 2 version numbers (e.g. 1.10 or 1.10.*) due to far too many mods misusing supported_version=1 and causing their users to crash.
Arg.

quote:

- Changed offensive finisher to from 2.5% to 5% recover army morale speed.
Gotta buff Offensive it's not good enough :confused:

Looks like a great patch, the automated exploration sound much better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

alansmithee posted:

I tend to integrate the interior ones, and use the others to feed a bit. With the new patch though I think you'll have to integrate, since otherwise you lose your cores (which seems kinda strange to me, but maybe it's to stop that very behavior?)

That's probably exactly why. And to make breaking those vassals off of France be actually harmful to them.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rincewind posted:

One thing I've always liked about the current adviser system is that they can potentially be from any culture in your nation, not just your primary, which does a lot to create the illusion that they're actual people drawn from the various parts of your empire and not just generated from a single list of names from one culture somewhere (compare and contrast with, say, Victoria 2 generals and admirals).

Then you make a custom Gothic nation and everyone is apparently "of Gothia".

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PittTheElder posted:

That's probably exactly why. And to make breaking those vassals off of France be actually harmful to them.

Yeah, I'm just trying to think where else I've had that possibly come into play. Most of the time if a nation has your cores, you'd likely just eat the cores rather than vassalize I think. I guess there could be some cases where a nation is too big to annex in one go (or you're trying to save AE) but also has some cores so you just vassalize, but then it still seems like you'd just integrate them.

Just trying to see what other behavior they're trying to combat than screw France (although that's typically a good idea...). I think DDRJake is actually in the office now so maybe he's given them some gamebreaking strat and they're just getting ahead of the curve.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Funky Valentine posted:

Haha, I knew that for some reason that was the only name in their dynasty list, but is that it for leader names, too? Oh noooo

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rincewind posted:

Haha, I knew that for some reason that was the only name in their dynasty list, but is that it for leader names, too? Oh noooo

Only for dynasties. Also military leaders. And diplomats. And merchants. And colonists.

I really wish there was a way to change the potential dynasty and ruler names without breaking the checksum.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

I found it completely awesome and it's difficult not to start every custom nation as being full of goths. :)

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Hinforta posted:

Great. Are you going to make a "Men in History" DLC as well? Unfortunately, the last men's day was conviniently ignored, so this time it shouldn't, right?

Wiz posted:

I think I have just the thing you want. Here's a link to the store page.

Wiz, you're the greatest.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

For the next year's 8th of March you should make Female unit pack DLC, that changes all base unit models to women.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
And thus that thread comes to an end, allowing all the people in it to actually look at the patch notes and find an incredibly minor change that ruins the game for them.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

alansmithee posted:

Just trying to see what other behavior they're trying to combat than screw France (although that's typically a good idea...). I think DDRJake is actually in the office now so maybe he's given them some gamebreaking strat and they're just getting ahead of the curve.

It really made no sense to be able to diplomatically release a nation from vassalage and still be able to claim ownership of their provinces, though.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
After all that I only just find out the patch and that DLC didn't come out today. What a (self imposed) letdown.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

After all that I only just find out the patch and that DLC didn't come out today. What a (self imposed) letdown.

Wait...is my beloved dynamic custom nations mode patch being purposefully delayed to Sunday to push a PC political PR agenda?!

:grabs fedora: :mad:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

misandry!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So what's all this in the patch notes? :raise:

quote:

# Units
- Now possible to set unit type default size to other than 1000
- Now possible to set individual unit size on historical unit types
- All unit interfaces now works with unit sizes other than 1000
- Manpower tooltip now displays correct values with unit sizes larger than 1000
- Cancelling unit construction on unit with size bigger than 1000 now works
- Changing preferred unit type to larger size no longer increase size of existing units
- Changing preferred unit type to larger size no longer increase size of queued constructions
- AI recruitment now properly works with unit size other than 1000
- No longer possible to build ships without adequate manpower
- Build unit/ship interface now correctly respects modded manpower costs
- AI will now respect modded manpower costs when building units
- NOMANPOWER tooltip now shows correct manpower value

I wonder if they're laying the foundation to have unit sizes change over time or something... ??

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

I wonder if they're laying the foundation to have unit sizes change over time or something... ??

I would adore the ability to have unit sizes increase over time. It would feed into my wanting to experiment with unit size per cost, not effectiveness, changing over time. 1000 longbowmen aren't less effective than 1000 musketeers, but they sure are a lot more expensive. This would make it possibly easier for backwards nations to compensate by throwing money at problems, whereas currently they just get wiped.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dibujante posted:

I would adore the ability to have unit sizes increase over time. It would feed into my wanting to experiment with unit size per cost, not effectiveness, changing over time. 1000 longbowmen aren't less effective than 1000 musketeers, but they sure are a lot more expensive. This would make it possibly easier for backwards nations to compensate by throwing money at problems, whereas currently they just get wiped.

That would be really cool, though I think at the medium to high levels of weapon tech you'd need to have some change in effectiveness.

Unless you want the Civ tank vs spearmen thing to happen eventually, anyway.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Roadie posted:

That would be really cool, though I think at the medium to high levels of weapon tech you'd need to have some change in effectiveness.

Unless you want the Civ tank vs spearmen thing to happen eventually, anyway.

Yes. There are advances in black powder (greater power / distance) as well as firing technologies (faster rate of fire) that make later guns better than earlier guns. But they're still all inferior to bows and crossbows, and will remain that way until rifling. However, unlike bows and crossbows, they enable all kinds of military tactics, like volley fire, dedicated reloaders, and so on, as well as enabling much larger armies and much greater professionalization. The existing model isn't bad in this regard - the overall effectiveness, army for army, definitely goes up. I just want to make the model more precise and see if it has any interesting implications.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It also provides a lot of cool fantasy/scifi modding potential. You could make a fantasy techgroup with wizards replacing cannons, for example, and give them a tiny unit size but tons of pips.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Zurai posted:

It also provides a lot of cool fantasy/scifi modding potential. You could make a fantasy techgroup with wizards replacing cannons, for example, and give them a tiny unit size but tons of pips.

Wiz self-insert detected

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe replacing cavalry with dragons. Dragon dragoons? But you'd need to be able to set different costs for different tech groups then. Unless you wish to stick in a +5000% cavalry cost and maintenance tradition.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, and being limited to just 3 unit types makes it kinda rough too.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Revolutionary Republic should give +1000% unit size

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Kersch posted:

Revolutionary Republic should give +1000% unit size

Essentially, but I think people's eyes would pop at how much the Revolution changed things. It would cause a butthurt from which EU4 would never recover.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
One thing I would like to see for EUIV is more late game stuff like a bunch of Napoleonic/liberty mechanics and stuff. Late game deserves as much love as the early game which has all this HRE and 30 years war stuff.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fintilgin posted:

Modding support.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Wiz posted:

Modding support.

Now my nation of Sparta can only run squads of 300 men apiece. :hist101:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

Modding support.

Exciting, but not, perhaps, as exciting as I'd anticipated.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

Exciting, but not, perhaps, as exciting as I'd anticipated.

We mod goon MP games heavily and like to experiment, so the more things that can be customized in mods, the better.

I'd like to be able to set the default wartime/peacetime WE and autonomy reduction one day, though :3: I want to experiment with setting peacetime autonomy reduction to 0.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Dibujante posted:

We mod goon MP games heavily and like to experiment, so the more things that can be customized in mods, the better.

I'd like to be able to set the default wartime/peacetime WE and autonomy reduction one day, though :3: I want to experiment with setting peacetime autonomy reduction to 0.

Would autonomy only go down during war then?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Shroud posted:

Would autonomy only go down during war then?

It wouldn't unless you pushed the button. Or got an idea group that reduced autonomy. This would be to induce a tradeoff between military and non-military ideas, since autonomy reduction is pretty sweet.

By the time most players have filled out most of their idea groups, new and better governments with -autonomy get unlocked, so if you never get a -autonomy idea you aren't stuck forever. But in the early game there's an incentive to do something other than defensive->offensive->quality->quantity

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Kurtofan posted:

To go back to my colonial problem, it seems like I can't enforce peace against Portuguese Caribbeans. Is there something I have to do? It says Invalid target at the start of the war.

When you open that dialog it'll show all nations that Portuguese Caribbean is at war with. Make sure you're enforcing peace against your colony. I missed that button the first time I tried to do it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I keep getting booted from the Protestant religious league every month. What gives? I don't get a popup or event or anything, I just get removed whenever the month ticks over.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Can somebody explain exploration to me a little bit? I understand you need conquistadors to explore terra incognito but how do you ensure that your ships can make it long distances? Do you just create a large naval unit that can sustain the losses?

Also what exactly are explorers for? I've read the wiki and I still don't quite get it.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

SuicideSnowman posted:

Can somebody explain exploration to me a little bit? I understand you need conquistadors to explore terra incognito but how do you ensure that your ships can make it long distances? Do you just create a large naval unit that can sustain the losses?

Also what exactly are explorers for? I've read the wiki and I still don't quite get it.

I'm going to skip explaining manual exploration since it's going away in 2 days, but here's how the new system works:

You need a fleet that is composed of at least 3 ships, those ships must be either heavy or light or a mixture of the two. An explorer is needed to lead this fleet so that it can explore. Once an explorer is assigned to the fleet, you can press a button on the fleet's control panel to send it to explore a chosen area. The areas it can potentially reach to explore is based on your colonization range. The fleet will move to the indicated area on its own, discover sea zones and shorelines, and then return to the nearest friendly port.

The only ways you'll lose ships with the new exploration feature is if you attempt circumnavigation early, because it will go far beyond the range you can sustain them. Otherwise, they should be safe.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I have to say, the tooltip for exploration is poorly worded, it says "You need a total of 3 Light and Heavy ships" which makes it sound like you need 3 Light + 3 Heavy to do exploration.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I keep getting booted from the Protestant religious league every month. What gives? I don't get a popup or event or anything, I just get removed whenever the month ticks over.

This might explain why I was getting monthly notifications on France joining the league.

ATP Synthase
Dec 18, 2003

the little engine that could

Wiz posted:

Modding support.

hi Wiz, i haven't posted on SA since you were doing the KoJ LP but i want to thank you from nearby the bottom of my heart for helping make a game where the Hansa actually works. EU4 owns

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Lori posted:

Are you granting Venice military access? Patch 1.10 made it so that during war, you automatically gain military access from anyone your opponent has military access from.

I no longer have that save, but that could be it. Thx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Kersch posted:

I'm going to skip explaining manual exploration since it's going away in 2 days, but here's how the new system works:

You need a fleet that is composed of at least 3 ships, those ships must be either heavy or light or a mixture of the two. An explorer is needed to lead this fleet so that it can explore. Once an explorer is assigned to the fleet, you can press a button on the fleet's control panel to send it to explore a chosen area. The areas it can potentially reach to explore is based on your colonization range. The fleet will move to the indicated area on its own, discover sea zones and shorelines, and then return to the nearest friendly port.

The only ways you'll lose ships with the new exploration feature is if you attempt circumnavigation early, because it will go far beyond the range you can sustain them. Otherwise, they should be safe.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes a lot more sense now that I've colonized a new area and have opened up a lot more exploration missions.

• Locked thread