Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

logis posted:

This goes in my Scion the Ur-Dragon EDH deck. How many dragons in that deck? *Searches, reveals*

Unlike Narset, he doesn't come into play all clingy girlfriend with a million loyalty counters so you've got to hit 5 straight plus abilities to get to that ultimate. Even in EDH that sounds like a formidable task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't understand what they were thinking when they put Sarkhan's Ultimate on there. Why not just make him turn into a 10/10 Flying, Indestructible, Hexproof dragon or some poo poo? Just seems weird to require a deck stacked with Dragons.

If you don't understand why it's there, you probably aren't the right player for the ultimate because it's dragons out the wazoo and all day long!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Starving Autist posted:

Can't you still kill her with the Searing Blaze, provided you have landfall?

Ugh, you're right, I misremembered Searing Blaze.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ramos posted:

If you don't understand why it's there, you probably aren't the right player for the ultimate because it's dragons out the wazoo and all day long!

I mean, I guess its an EDH thing (for reals)? Managing to plus 4 times without winning off card advantage and a mana advantage alone sounds difficult in any format.

That said, Sarkhan seems really good though. I assume the play is to -2 a Dragon, and then just get pure, sweet-rear end card advantage until you run out of guys.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 7, 2015

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't understand what they were thinking when they put Sarkhan's Ultimate on there. Why not just make him turn into a 10/10 Flying, Indestructible, Hexproof dragon or some poo poo? Just seems weird to require a deck stacked with Dragons.

If you have to +1 4 times before ultimate when the -2 is terrific, then the ultimate really doesn't matter at all. For PW's with great +1 and -2 abilities, where the ult is almost never expected, I'm fine with a comedy ultimate.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I guess its an EDH thing (for reals)? Managing to plus 4 times without winning off card advantage and a mana advantage alone sounds difficult in any format.

That said, Sarkhan seems really good though. I assume the play is to -2 a Dragon, and then just get pure, sweet-rear end card advantage until you run out of guys.

the ults just meant to be a cool little thing for the guy who wants to dream, its not meant for competitive play

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

forbidden lesbian posted:

the ults just meant to be a cool little thing for the guy who wants to dream, its not meant for competitive play

well, there are some cards where the ultimate is more realistic and so much better than the -2 that part of the strength of the card is occasionally living the dream. Like with the KTK Sorin where the ultimate is a somewhat-reasonable goal, I'll get out the vampires if I have to, but if I manage to successfully +1 once or twice in a stalled-out board, then I'm going to start putting in serious effort to get the ultimate. If I had to +1 Sorin 4 times though, then I'm not even going to consider it.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
It's more like GW Ajani's ultimate, that is more often flavor text than something relevant to the game that you expect to use. Still, I'm sure there will be some awesome stories from where someone manages to use it to good effect, just like Ajani.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Angry Grimace posted:

I've had a 5 color dragon deck for a while (basically 5 color big spells, Dragons fit the 5 color big theme). When I have to choose between a card and a similar type card with the word/picture of a Dragon, well...I think flavor is fun. For example, several removal spells in the deck involve Ugin and Nicol Bolas. I'll play this card if I get my hand on one, but mostly just for theme and not power.

Whereas another guy at the local shop plays Scion as well...and literally almost every card in his deck is a dragon or says dragon on it...terrible mana base (With pet cards like Grove of the Burnwillows b/c its foil and 'pretty'). This card is DEFINITELY for him. After this set comes out, he might choose to have more dragons than non-dragon cards (if that's not true now).

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Northjayhawk posted:

well, there are some cards where the ultimate is more realistic and so much better than the -2 that part of the strength of the card is occasionally living the dream. Like with the KTK Sorin where the ultimate is a somewhat-reasonable goal, I'll get out the vampires if I have to, but if I manage to successfully +1 once or twice in a stalled-out board, then I'm going to start putting in serious effort to get the ultimate. If I had to +1 Sorin 4 times though, then I'm not even going to consider it.

Like Vensers Ultimate. I don't think I ever used his -1, because his ultimate was excellent.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sarkhan Temur Dragons is an intriguing idea too because you'll have some relevant protection from UB control decks since you probably want to curve from Knucklebro to Sarkhan/Stormbreath and Crux can't hit both at the same time.

I mean, yeah, most ultimates are just pipe dream fun things. Its just weird since you'd have to actually specifically construct the deck to even use it. Its like Nissa's ultimate, except everyone has basic land. Its not like it makes any difference to the card, its just weird.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 7, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can kinda see that, 3 damage in this format isn't killing much that shock can't kill, like I can't think of any heavily played creatures with 3 toughness exactly.

I mean, I'm sure I'm opening up a huge torrent of posts full of creatures i've forgotten but at the first sign it seems possible. But to be honest the versatility of being able to hit players with strike means it probably will still be the go to red 2 drop removal.
Yeah this is pretty much true. Fleecemane Lion and Sidisi are the only really important creatures in standard that demand Lightning Strike, and neither of them are being played that much right now.

I'm definitely going to be bringing in 2-4 roasts for at least the sideboard since having a 2 mana answer to Siege Rhino and Courser is huge.

Angry Grimace posted:

Unlike Narset, he doesn't come into play all clingy girlfriend with a million loyalty counters so you've got to hit 5 straight plus abilities to get to that ultimate. Even in EDH that sounds like a formidable task.
I'd say especially in EDH, you have a lot of opponents with boards full of bullshit and they aren't going to let you ultimate unless you're doing something weird.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 7, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Hey dragonstorm is a card that's won a world championships.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Can someone who watched the panel today tell me which announcement was the one that was supposed to blow me out of the water? Just need to calibrate my hype-meter.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Zoness posted:

Hey dragonstorm is a card that's won a world championships.

Unless Bogardan Hellkite comes back you really need to have haste to make his ultimate into dragonstorm. Granted there are a couple of those effects now in standard, but it isn't an I win button just yet.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Bugsy posted:

Unless Bogardan Hellkite comes back you really need to have haste to make his ultimate into dragonstorm. Granted there are a couple of those effects now in standard, but it isn't an I win button just yet.

there is a dragonlord that gives all of your dragons haste tho

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

clamiam45 posted:

Can someone who watched the panel today tell me which announcement was the one that was supposed to blow me out of the water? Just need to calibrate my hype-meter.
:siren: Red now has a two mana answer to Siege Rhino :siren:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

clamiam45 posted:

Probably either Return to Zendikar or DFC Planeswalkers in Magic Origins

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Bugsy posted:

I can't wait for someone to ultimate it and search up all of the dragonlords plus their past versions and swing in. Throw in stormbreath and some others for good measure. It might never happen, but I can dream.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Sarkhan Unbroken seems like he was made with Temur Ascendancy in mind.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Elyv posted:

Probably either Return to Zendikar or DFC Planeswalkers in Magic Origins

Or, by implication, the lack of an LotV reprint in Origins!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Señor Kolaghan does a pretty good job of making Sarkhan's ultimate lethal, although sadly it's off-colour.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Señor Kolaghan does a pretty good job of making Sarkhan's ultimate lethal, although sadly it's off-colour.

hey whoa thats Señora

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, yeah, most ultimates are just pipe dream fun things. Its just weird since you'd have to actually specifically construct the deck to even use it. Its like Nissa's ultimate, except everyone has basic land. Its not like it makes any difference to the card, its just weird.

I'm not sure if 'has 4 stormbreath dragon in it' is imposing a particularly onerous deckbuilding restriction on a deck in temur colors, tbqh.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

First Bass posted:

Sarkhan Unbroken seems like he was made with Temur Ascendancy in mind.

I mean, he works with it, but I don't think there's some kind of super crazy interaction. He's just a very good card in general, he's just super narrow in terms of what decks can play him. Which is fine; the Temur deck is going to slam him into the deck.

UberJew posted:

I'm not sure if 'has 4 stormbreath dragon in it' is imposing a particularly onerous deckbuilding restriction on a deck in temur colors, tbqh.

It would be a weird scenario where you had Sarkhan at 8, all 4 Stormbreaths in your deck and your opponent had more than 0 life. I don't hate it or anything, its just so random seeming. I'll accept the answer that "its for Timmy to cream his pants over."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 7, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Entropic posted:

I never did any drafts until Scars block, but apparently RoE is a lot of pro players' favorite draft format ever. What was so good about it?

So many viable ways to build your deck. Rapacious One with the unblockable rebound spell was tons of fun.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So what's the story beind Sarkhan being in Temur colors anyway? He was really chill with a Temur shaman in his timeline wasn't he? Also he respected Yasova after all she did to him.

Regardless I'm going to play him alongside his Dragonspeaker variant and hopefully not forget the Legendary Rule.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

or, you could play him with Doubling Season in play, then immediately grab all the dragons. :getin: :science:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheTofuShop posted:

or, you could play him with Doubling Season in play, then immediately grab all the dragons. :getin: :science:

Scion of the Ur-Dragon just found a new Wincon. Good.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Oh good more gravepacts.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

If Sarkhan is really meant to be the ultimate Timmy RAWR DRAGONS card it should pull an Spawnsire of Ulamog impression and let you play Dragons from outside the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Reprint innocent blood

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Stormbreath status: still best dragon

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Stormbreath status: still best dragon

"Dragons dragons dragons nobody has more dragons than me!!" -Tarkir
"Quality over quantity." -Theros

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 7, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Eh, we really did not need a 6 mana gravepact.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

If it's so Swift why doesn't it also have haste?!

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Bugsy posted:

Oh good more gravepacts.

Grave Pact is when a creature you control dies while (I assume you're talking about) Ruthless Deathfang is only sacrifice, a lot more narrow condition.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

It would be a weird scenario where you had Sarkhan at 8, all 4 Stormbreaths in your deck and your opponent had more than 0 life. I don't hate it or anything, its just so random seeming. I'll accept the answer that "its for Timmy to cream his pants over."

It doesn't need to be all 4, does it? In the general case where Sarkhan is at 8, there are plenty of scenarios where any nonzero amount of Stormbreaths will be worth ultimating for. And you always have the option of not doing it. It just doesn't really cost you anything to possibly have the option to do that, since 4 Stormbreaths is good, maybe some other dragons will be good, and Sarkhan with just his first two abilities is good. You can just play midrange and occasionally get a game-ending ultimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Oraculum Animi posted:

Grave Pact is when a creature you control dies while (I assume you're talking about) Ruthless Deathfang is only sacrifice, a lot more narrow condition.

oh let me amend my previous statement; we really did not need a 6 mana worse gravepact

• Locked thread