Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

don't update unless the software does it for you, there's a security issue, or you need a fix for a specific issue. recreational updating is a trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
heres my linux on the desktop gripe. my mic for some reason on my lappy hags a lot of static. so i turn down the noise thing or whatever in pulseaudio, then crank the output a bit. works fine. no static, voice souds good. but the changes never stick. i haveto check every time i boot it in audacity 2 see if theres static. and there always is. and i haveto redo the things. i dont understand. also it forgets that my mic is plugged in and i haveti unplug and replug it. wtf. what a fail

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

and pacman is better than both of them but Arch does the whole rolling distro thing where they immediately delete old versions of their packages and MOOOOOM WRITING CHANGELOGS IS BORING

Changelog:
updated to version 3.4.1b

the iOS app store has this issue too. every single app has "bugfixes and improvements' in the changelog. lazy fuckers.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

dnf is a lot better than yum.

i believe fedora 22 is gonna have dnf be the default

no one will miss yum, that thing has been a wreck since day one. it was a noble attempt but it was always slow and kinda buggy/frustrating. bugfrustrating.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

my stepdads beer posted:

Changelog:

the iOS app store has this issue too. every single app has "bugfixes and improvements' in the changelog. lazy fuckers.

someone doesn't use awful app

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Smythe posted:

heres my linux on the desktop gripe. my mic for some reason on my lappy hags a lot of static. so i turn down the noise thing or whatever in pulseaudio, then crank the output a bit. works fine. no static, voice souds good. but the changes never stick. i haveto check every time i boot it in audacity 2 see if theres static. and there always is. and i haveto redo the things. i dont understand. also it forgets that my mic is plugged in and i haveti unplug and replug it. wtf. what a fail

Desktop linux is a piece of poo poo. Here to help.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i believe fedora 22 is gonna have dnf be the default

no one will miss yum, that thing has been a wreck since day one. it was a noble attempt but it was always slow and kinda buggy/frustrating. bugfrustrating.

ironically yum wasn't even invented by red hat. it was created by yellow dog linux, a semi obscure distribution which was more or less redhat ported to powerpc hardware. the yellowdog update manager was one of the few original things in ydl and it was better than nothing so i guess upstream adopted it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

iirc, warren togami took took yup and made yum, created fedora, and then red hat adopted fedora and replaced up2date with yum because somehow yum managed to be less terrible than up2date in spite of being terrible sysadmin python

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

I like yum because it is in centos and centos has never broken after updates which is a reaaly hard thing for most linixes

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Captain Pike posted:

I like yum because it is in centos and centos has never broken after updates which is a reaaly hard thing for most linixes

and, weirdly enough, also windows these days

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

my stepdads beer posted:

Changelog:

I have a feeling popular apps are starting to do this to clear all the whinging in the app reviews because they're done per-version

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

hey batman your os is a pos

debian wheezy

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ahmeni posted:

I have a feeling popular apps are starting to do this to clear all the whinging in the app reviews because they're done per-version

p sure facebook is doing exactly this

twitter's got a generic 'updates and reliability fixes' thing but even twitter's been adding new features and fixing poo poo every few 'updates'

i couldn't tell you what facebook app has changed in the past year besides trying to yank messenger functionality

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 7, 2015

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ruby idiot railed posted:

p sure facebook is doing exactly this

twitter's got a generic 'updates and reliability fixes' thing but even twitter's been adding new features and fixing poo poo every few 'updates'

i couldn't tell you what facebook app has changed in the past year besides trying to yank messenger functionality

it's odd because fb messenger updates still list actual changes, it's just the main app that pulls that bs

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Facebook outright said that they release a patch every two weeks or so regardless of whatever issues there are

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

who reads app update info anyway, the apps just update themselves now. only nerds with too much time even consider looking at them so why be super descriptive

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I know distrowatch is just one site but I have to wonder if mint is really as popular as it seems because it's far and away the top hit distro on there. do that many people actually use it?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

triple sulk posted:

I know distrowatch is just one site but I have to wonder if mint is really as popular as it seems because it's far and away the top hit distro on there. do that many people actually use it?

it seems to be the preferred distro for people who care about dekstop links distros

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i consider linux mint to be the distro for people who wish windows xp was still alive

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Pike posted:

i've had yum segfault during update on rhel. the fix is to yum install yum and the rhnplugin. which also crashes yum.

it was a long day

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Thankfully rhnplugin is not a thing in centos.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rahu posted:

Thankfully rhnplugin is not a thing in centos.

unfortunately it is

there exist people who think spacewalk is good and cool

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Phoenixan posted:

i consider linux mint to be the distro for people who wish windows xp was still alive

its loving garbage

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wait i thought rhnplugin was just the thing that checked your red hat license before letting you download updates. Is that a different thing?

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
im trying a fedora live cd and lol gnome 3 is such a ripoff of os x. theres so many small annoying things that make it worse tho.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rahu posted:

Wait i thought rhnplugin was just the thing that checked your red hat license before letting you download updates. Is that a different thing?

rhn and spacewalk use their own xmlrpc api to transfer metadata, download plugins etc. it sucks.

spacewalk is literally red hat's rhn implementation open sourced. it's riddled with misfeatures for multi-tenancy. hell, a lot of the branding is still rhn

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i've had yum segfault during update on rhel. the fix is to yum install yum and the rhnplugin. which also crashes yum.

it was a long day

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

running gentoo on an acer with nvidia 840m

binary blob just blackscreens in optimus mode unless i use kernel 3.17.7, which doesnt work well with my touchpad

fortunately bumblebee seems to be stable and not too slow

kernel status: tainted

but hey a recent game runs kinda ok i guess?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

"install gentoo" is a joke, it is not advisable to actually install gentoo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
laptop burner dont work. crash. brasero crash. k3b crash. tried to install something called GnomeBake that i had to compile myself but it doesnt work on amd64 apparently. it actually did burn once. but only once. i have not been able to reproduce. piss. rear end. other computers with same distro and different burner work fine. sigh

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think its a permissions thing. running the burner as root doesnt work either. idk boss. just, well, idk

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Symbolic Butt posted:

how does these things compare to like the profits of steam actually SELLING games?

I'm scared, I read once the They Bleed Pixels developer say he got far much more money with the virtual trading cards than the game sales but I don't know if that's a normal thing

guessing here, but it's probably the most depressing option

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

bobbilljim posted:

guessing here, but it's probably the most depressing option

there's a reason the iOS App Store changed the install icon from FREE to GET :smith:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Symbolic Butt posted:

how does these things compare to like the profits of steam actually SELLING games?

I'm scared, I read once the They Bleed Pixels developer say he got far much more money with the virtual trading cards than the game sales but I don't know if that's a normal thing

valve takes like 30% of each game sold but 2% of each steam market transaction, they make a ton more on the latter

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Smythe posted:

laptop burner dont work. crash. brasero crash. k3b crash. tried to install something called GnomeBake that i had to compile myself but it doesnt work on amd64 apparently. it actually did burn once. but only once. i have not been able to reproduce. piss. rear end. other computers with same distro and different burner work fine. sigh

Sorry Smythe. u could look at dmesg if you know how and see if there is a low level error. might be the drive. U can get a usb dvd burner for like $20.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

have u tried using growisofs?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Smnythe is using a burner laptop....

NSA CONFIRMED

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Crusader posted:

running gentoo on an acer with nvidia 840m

binary blob just blackscreens in optimus mode unless i use kernel 3.17.7, which doesnt work well with my touchpad

fortunately bumblebee seems to be stable and not too slow

kernel status: tainted

but hey a recent game runs kinda ok i guess?

ubuntu actually found good drivers for my optimus setup (650m + 4500HD). linux compatibile games on steam actually ran pretty well.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does ubuntu actually use optimus now? I thought it just used the nvidia graphics and ignored intel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
when i put linux on a laptop my hdmi ports didn't work unless i went just full gpu power